Danny Phantom Fan Fiction ❯ Danny Phantom: Facing the Future ❯ Danny Phantom: Facing the Future - Part 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Danny Phantom: Facing the Future
Part 4
By Aaron
 
Somehow, Sam managed to land the rocket sled a few hundred yards from the clearing. Having no weapons and not wanting to be an easy target, she didn't see any harm in making it the rest of the way on foot. She could already see the extent of the devastation, but hearing only silence made her concerned. Either they were all taking a break…which wasn't very likely…or that meant that somebody had already won the fight. But who? Trying desperately not to think of the worst case scenario, she decided to shift all her focus into just getting to the battle as the picked up her pace.
 
As she reached the clearing a few minutes later, she could see that there had been indeed a pause in the action. Looking up, she saw Danny facing off against the female ghost. They were too high up for her to see who it was, but she had to wonder why he was just floating there. But then she turned her attention to the ground and her eyes went wide as she finally saw who was standing across from Dark Danny.
 
“No…Danny?!” she blurted out in shock, not thinking about the danger she was putting herself in by giving herself away.
 
“Oh great,” the other Danny looked over at her and rolled his eyes, “This just keeps getting better, doesn't it?”
 
Dark Danny could only look on, completely dumbfounded. But suddenly, his lips curled into an amused half smile as he started putting everything together. And soon, he let out an insane howl of laughter, echoing through the wilderness.
 
“Ooooh, this is just TOO good!” he chuckled, “I see that pain, Clockwork, still can't mind his own business! I guess I'm going to have to have a little talk with him once I'm done here.”
 
“Hey, you ARE his business,” the other Danny replied, turning his attention back to the matter at hand, “Why do you think he asked US to come in? Of course, I'm only too happy to deal with YOU, if for no other reason than I can't have you trashing my rep by going around looking like THAT. I mean, the goatee and the ponytail are bad enough, but that tacky cape? What's THAT about?”
 
“Let me get this straight. YOU'RE criticizing ME?” Dark Danny shot back, “What's THAT getup supposed to be…`Ghost Zone Gangsta'?”
 
“Uh, is this really a good time to be discussing fashion tips?” the other Sam called down, clearly annoyed and Sam immediately took notice. She still couldn't make out her face, but why did her voice suddenly sound so familiar?
 
“Mmm…good point,” Dark Danny said with a simple nod. But then, like a blur, his arm whipped out, firing a Ghost Ray before anyone knew what was happening! Instinctively, the other Danny thought himself the target and tried to defend, but Dark Danny merely smirked as he flicked his wrist and the Ghost Ray arced around him! It then became clear just who his actual target was…!
 
“SAM! NOOO!!!” Danny screamed as Sam had no time to react to the attack that was bearing down on her! Even the other Danny, who had been completely caught off guard himself, could only watch in horror as he had no way to save her…!
 
Just then, like a bolt, the other Sam appeared in front of her, throwing up a shield of ecto-energy to protect them both! But Dark Danny's Ghost Ray caught her completely unprepared as it exploded on impact, sending both of them flying through the trees! Sam was mostly protected and was sent sprawling along the ground, but the other Sam took the full brunt of the blast and was knocked back farther, striking a nearby boulder! The impact knocked her out of her ghost form as she turned human again, crumpling to the ground unconscious. Meanwhile, the other Danny could only look on in shock before turning his attention back to Dark Danny, his green eyes glowing with rage and his hands burning with ecto-energy.
 
“You miserable son of a…”
 
“Uh, uh, uh,” Dark Danny cut him off with a wagging finger and a twisted grin, “Don't forget who you're addressing. Do you really want to talk about your mother like that? So…ready for Round 2?”
 
The other Danny only responded with a loud yell as he fired both barrels of his Ghost Rays, sending Dark Danny flying! As the other Danny flew after him, Danny could only feel torn as he was unsure which situation needed him more…the girlfriend or the battle. But he was only conflicted for a brief moment. After all, there was really only one choice. He had to follow his heart.
 
“Sam!” he cried out as he flew down towards the woods.
 
… … … …
 
Luckily only suffering a few scratches and scrapes, Sam managed to pull herself up to her feet. But she was still in a daze as she tried to get her bearings. One thing was for sure though, that last attack had been WAY too close for comfort. If that ghost hadn't saved her at the last second…! Just then, she heard a soft groan behind her and turned around to see someone lying in front of a large boulder just a few yards away.
 
A second large rock obscured the woman's face as Sam rushed to help. All she could see was what she was wearing. A pair of extremely wide legged black pants, covered in straps and chains, along with a black tank top and a pair of what appeared to be evening gloves with a spider web design. For a split second, Sam had to think that whoever this woman was, she had pretty cool taste in clothes. But comparing notes would have to wait. At the moment, the first priority was seeing if she was okay. But a moment, later, as she finally saw the face of the person who saved her, all thoughts exploded from her mind as she gasped in shock. Meanwhile, the other Sam gently groaned as she slowly found herself coming too. Her vision was still very blurred, but she could just make out the image of Sam looking down on her with a stunned look on her face.
 
“Uunnnh…oh great…” she said groggily, rolling her eyes before her head fell back and she lost consciousness again. Sam, meanwhile, could only look down at her, her shock refusing to fade. Ever since she had seen these two strange ghosts, she had this alarm going off that something about them wasn't right. And now, she finally understood why. She could feel her hear pounding in her chest as the thought kept running over and over in her mind. She just couldn't get her head around it. Still, even with all the piercings, that face was unmistakable…and the familiar medallion hanging around her neck that could have only come from one person…it eliminated all doubt. The woman lying there really was her! And if that wasn't enough, she was half ghost too! Just like…
 
“Sam!” Danny's voice indicated that he wasn't far off. But for some reason, Sam didn't reply to him. Turning away in silence, she activated Valerie's armor and took off into the sky. Danny wouldn't appear until a few moments later.
 
“You!” he called out, realizing the woman lying by the boulder wasn't his Sam. The other Sam, meanwhile, just groaned as she found herself coming around again. Helping her to sit up, Danny placed his hand behind her head and felt a huge lump. Acting quickly, he gently massaged the back of her head, using his freezing power as a makeshift ice pack.
 
“There,” he asked soothingly, “Is that better?”
 
“Uuunnh…it helps,” the other Sam replied, still groggy, “Hey, where'd she go?”
 
“Sam? I mean…MY Sam? She was here?” Danny asked curiously. After all, he couldn't help but wonder if she was here, why didn't she stay? And where did she go? But at the same time, he couldn't worry about that. As long as he knew Sam was alright, that alone was enough to put his mind at ease as he focused his attention to more important matters. Looking at this young woman who could only be Sam Manson from the future, Danny had no end of questions to ask…not the least of which was what she was doing with ghost powers of her own. But his search for answers would have to wait. Even if this other Sam was in any shape to answer his questions, there were more important problems to deal with.
 
It took a few minutes, but eventually, the other Sam was stable enough to get back on her feet as Danny helped her back through the woods to the clearing. Fortunately for them, as soon as they walked through the tree line, Tucker, Valerie and Jazz flew down in the Specter Speeder.
 
“Hey Danny!” Tucker called as he ran out to meet them, “We got the Specter Speeder back up and…! …whoa…”
 
“Danny,” Jazz could only look on stunned along with Tucker and Valerie, “Is that…Sam?”
 
“Uh, yes…no…well, kinda…”Danny found himself at a loss for words, “Look it's a long story okay? Just…can you guys take care of her? I'm running around loose out there and I've got to go help me stop myself!”
 
“Uh, Danny? What are you talking about?” Valerie asked, as perplexed as everyone else.
 
“You know what? I really don't know anymore,” Danny sighed in frustration, “All I know is I've gotta go NOW!”
 
“Danny…wait…” The other Sam tried to call out to him, but she was still too groggy to call out loudly and her plea went ignored as Danny burst off after Dark Danny and his other self, “That idiot…He never listens…Gotta go after him…Doesn't know what he's getting into…!”
 
The other Sam braced herself and Tucker Valerie and Jazz could only look in surprise as the other Sam appeared to try transforming into a ghost form! But she only got about halfway through the change before her head throbbed and she crumpled to her knees.
 
“Whoa there!” Jazz said as she rushed to the other Sam, propping her up and helping her over to the Specter Speeder to sit her down on the ramp, “Now you're obviously in no condition to be going after anyone right now. So just take a few minutes to rest up. And while you're doing that, why don't you tell us…?”
 
… … … …
 
“…Just what is going on here?!” Vlad's voice echoed through the cave as he raged all over his makeshift hideout, “THREE different Danny Fentons running around? Hasn't just the one been enough of a thorn in my side?”
 
“So he really DID send you guys from the future,” Tucker's voice broke Vlad from his rant as he turned back to see the images from the spy camera still playing on the computer screen. Jazz and Valerie were trying to keep the other Sam comfortable on the ramp of the Specter Speeder. Meanwhile, Tucker was closely examining the Time Medallion around her neck, being careful not to remove it, as it was the only thing tying her to their timeline.
 
“How odd,” Vlad noted, squinting as he stared closely at the screen, “That woman…she looks almost like that bratty Manson girl. This CAN'T be a coincidence.”
 
“It was all Clockwork's idea,” Future Sam explained, “He knew that other Danny wouldn't stay locked up forever. He also knew that if he ever got out, now that he exists outside of time, he wouldn't need to keep Danny…YOUR Danny alive anymore.”
 
“That's why he brought you guys in,” Jazz responded, “Clockwork knew Danny wouldn't be able to beat him again, but he knew YOU could.”
 
“That's why you trashed all the ghost hunting equipment too?” Valerie added, “To keep us out of it?”
 
“Obviously, we couldn't tell you what was going on,” Future Sam continued, “But we couldn't let you get involved either. The bottom line is you guys just weren't up for this. The plan was we were supposed to keep you guys off your feet just long enough to wrap things up here. Between the two of us, it should've been a 10-minute fight. Then we would've taken off and you guys would have never known it had even happened.”
 
Future Sam paused a moment with a heavy sigh.
 
“This was supposed to be simple.”
 
Vlad had already heard more than enough. Turning away from the screen, he headed straight to one of his salvaged bookshelves and pulled down an old text from one of the topmost corners.
 
“Let's see, Clockwork…Clockwork…” he noted as he flipped through the book to the proper page, “I remember hearing rumors about him off and on. Interesting, I thought he was just a legend. But then again, the Infi-Map was only thought to be a myth too.”
 
Scanning the page, Vlad was thoughtful for a moment before a wicked grin crossed his lips.
 
“The Ghost of Time, huh? I like the sound of that,” he stated with a sinister tone. Meanwhile, Tucker and Valerie were off in the Specter Speeder while Jazz tended to Future Sam, who was resting in the back.
 
“I've got to get back out there,” Future Sam groaned, getting angry with herself that her head wasn't clearing up, “Our best chance was fighting him together.”
 
“Listen to me…Danny…” Jazz's voice caught Future Sam's attention as she looked over at her serious gaze, “…YOUR Danny, I mean…is he strong enough to win without you?”
 
Future Sam didn't answer at first. She merely sighed and shook her head.
 
“I don't know,” she replied, her voice indicating that she was more than a little worried, “He's got a chance. But honestly…it could go either way. And if anything happens to your Danny in the meantime…well, if I were you, I'd rather not think about it.”
 
“So…what do we do now?” Tucker asked. The recent revelations had him wondering what kind of direction they could take in their planning.
 
“Head back to Amity Park,” Future Sam answered, “That's where they'll be going.”
 
“How do you know?” Valerie asked.
 
“It's to HIS advantage,” Future Sam replied, referring of course, to Dark Danny, “He knows Danny won't fight him at full strength there. He'll be too afraid of people getting hurt.”
 
As it turned out, Future Sam was all too correct in her prediction. Flying along a mountain road at top speed, Dark Danny was making a beeline for Amity Park with Future Danny close behind! He realized he was now forced to fight Dark Danny alone, which was not the ideal scenario they had planned for. After all, if he was just as fast, it wouldn't be hard to imagine that he was every bit as strong. But he didn't have time to worry about that. Attempting to slow Dark Danny down enough to catch up, Future Danny fired a barrage of Ghost Rays directly into his path! Luckily, the blockade had the desired effect as Dark Danny turned around and appeared ready to retaliate. But just then, another Ghost Ray came streaking down from behind Future Danny and struck Dark Danny full in the chest, sending him careening into the mountain side! And Future Danny already knew who had fired it as he turned around to see Danny just a few feet away, spoiling for a fight.
 
“I can't believe I was ever this stupid!” Future Danny shouted as he rolled his eyes, “What do you think you're doing?!”
 
“Hey, give me a break!” Danny argued, “At this point, you need all the help you can get! Do you really think you can hang with him until YOUR Sam gets back on her feet?!”
 
“I KNOW you CAN'T!” Future Danny argued back, “Did you even think about what could happen to me if anything happens to you?!”
 
Future Danny then paused for a moment, taking a deep breath and collecting himself before he continued.
 
“Look, this fight was supposed to be a first round knockout, but that's not going to happen anymore. All our plans are out the window. People could get hurt now. You want to help? You make sure that doesn't happen!”
 
“Hmmm, did I hear someone mention that people might get hurt?” Dark Danny's voice caught the attention of the other two Dannys as he emerged from the hole in the mountainside. Just then, a school bus filled to capacity with laughing Grade School students made its way up the road, drawing a twisted grin across Dark Danny's face.
 
“WORKS FOR ME!!”
 
Dark Danny didn't hesitate for an instant to let fly with a barrage of ecto-energy orbs directly into the mountainside, creating an instant avalanche! Gasping in horror, Danny burst ahead, trying desperately to reach the bus and the screaming children inside! He stretched his arm out as far as he could as he flew forward at top speed, but his fingertips just barely grazed the back of the bus before the fall of rocks came down and buried them all! Future Danny could only look on in shock, but he soon had other things to worry about as Dark Danny came swooping up, tagging him across the face with a thunderous left! The force of the blow was enough to send Future Danny spiraling downward momentarily, but he soon found his bearings again and managed to stop himself in mid-air.
 
“Huh…you call that a punch?!” He called to Dark Danny before blasting back towards him at top speed! Dark Danny quickly unleashed a barrage of Ghost Rays in his direction! But Future Danny instantly phased out, allowing the rays to pass harmlessly through him as he reached Dark Danny, smashing him back with a right of his own and sending him flying!
 
“THAT'S a punch!!!”
 
As Future Danny flew back after Dark Danny, Danny had managed to emerge from the rubble by phasing out himself and the school bus together with just microseconds to spare. Pushing the bus out through the rocks and debris, he was more than happy to offer a wave to the cheering children before turning his attention to the bus driver.
 
“Whew! Thanks.” the driver said, “That was WAY too close. But what WERE those things?”
 
“You wouldn't believe me if I told you,” Danny replied, “Look, just get these kids off this road as fast as you can and stop at the nearest place you can find. But avoid Amity Park at all costs.”
 
Danny paused as he looked up to the sky to see that Dark Danny had gotten away from Future Danny again and was headed back on his original course.
 
“It's not going to be a very welcoming place right now.”
 
… … … …
 
Tucker, Jazz and Valerie had arrived with Future Sam to Amity Park City Hall. Apparently, Future Danny had provided enough of a distraction to allow them to arrive well ahead of Dark Danny. Meanwhile, Tucker and Valerie stayed with the Specter Speeder as Future Sam and Jazz got off.
 
“Okay Tucker, you and Valerie are going to have to be damage control,” Future Sam said, “Wherever they end up, you're going to have to be there to get people out. Call in the Blasters if you have to. They've got to be good for something.”
 
“Yeah, but maybe if SOME-one hadn't wrecked all our equipment, we might have been able to do MORE than that,” Valerie noted sarcastically.
 
“Forget it,” Future Sam replied straightforwardly, “If the Blasters couldn't handle Vlad and you couldn't handle me, there's no way ANY of you would be able to handle THIS. Just keep an eye out and make sure no one gets hurt.”
 
“So…what are you and Jazz going to do?” Tucker asked.
 
“Well, I'm going to try to get my head cleared up and HOPEFULLY, I'll be able to get back into this fight before too long,” Future Sam replied, “As for Jazz, she's got something important to take care of.”
 
With that, Tucker and Valerie left the Specter Speeder outside and rushed into City Hall to monitor the situation. Meanwhile, Jazz and Future Sam were left outside.
 
“Uh…Sam? What AM I supposed to be doing?” Jazz asked, confused.
 
“You?” Future Sam replied, “You've got to do ONE thing. Find Sam…YOUR Sam.”
 
“`Our Sam'? But why?” Jazz wondered.
 
“Because…if I know her, and I'd like to think that I do…” Future Sam said as she stared out into the city with a stern gaze, “…she's about to do something REALLY stupid.”
 
… … … …
 
The lab in the basement of Fenton Works was deathly silent, save for the metal snipping of a pair of scissors. The black and white tatters of fabric on the floor told the rest of the story as Sam worked in the corner feverishly. She'd managed to find one of the ghost hunting suits that Danny's parents had made for him, one of the ones he had worn at the time he was changed into Danny Phantom. It was the only one that had the best chance of fitting her. Although at the same time, Sam had to admit feeling something of a guilty thrill to actually be wearing something of Danny's. Of course, she also felt the need to make a few alterations. She'd cut away the midriff section and pretty much the entire neckline so she could wear one of her neck collars. She left the middle finger on each glove alone, but cut away all the others. She kept the leggings of the suit's lower half, but cut away the boots, replacing them with a pair of her own. It was an older pair that she hardly ever wore anymore, so she didn't care too much what happened to them.
 
And then came the final accessory. Opening up a clothing store box, Sam pulled out a long white coat that had lace trimmings around the sleeves. Her mother had bought it for her a year or so ago in a misguided attempt to try and “meet her halfway” as her mother had put it. Of course, it had failed miserably. But at this point, Sam may have just found a use for it.
 
“I knew there was a reason I kept this thing in the back of the closet,” she thought out loud before throwing it over her shoulders and slipping it on. One button fastened was all it took and she was good to go. There was only one thing left to do.
 
Pulling out a familiar photo, Sam had all the information she needed to set the Fentons' ghost portal to the proper settings. All she had to do was unplug it and then switch it off before plugging it back in. But after she plugged it in and walked back inside the deactivated portal to switch it back on…
 
“Sam?” Jazz's voice startled her as she whirled around to see her standing at the foot of the stairs, “What do you think you're doing?”
 
It took a moment for Sam's heart to slow back down, but she soon regained her resolve as she reached over to the Ghost Portal's power switch.
 
“Jazz, don't,” she stated with a hint of pleading in her voice, “It's taking everything I have to not run away screaming right now. If you talk me out of this, I might never be able to work up the courage to try this again.”
 
“Would that be so bad?” Jazz replied, “Sam, I know you've always had an impulsive side to you, but this is going too far.”
 
“Jazz, you don't understand…!”
 
“Yes I do!” Jazz yelled back, cutting her off, “We know who those other two ghosts are. We know what Clockwork's done. We know all of it. But that isn't enough of a reason for what you're doing right now. The future isn't written in stone, Danny should have taught you that better than anyone. Have you thought about this? I mean, REALLY thought about it? Because if you haven't…”
 
“What ABOUT Danny?!” Sam shouted, whirling back around, “He puts his neck on the line all the time looking out for us! Who's looking out for him, huh?”
 
“You seem to have his back well enough without his powers,” Jazz replied, “Why do you need them now? Sam, have you thought for one second what Danny would go through if you were out there with him and got hurt? What it would do to him?”
 
“Actually…yeah, I have,” Sam said, shutting her eyes tight, “Because I know exactly what it would do to me if he went out there alone and got hurt. And I just…I can't go through that.”
 
“Sam, this isn't even the same Portal design,” Jazz argued again, “You don't even know if it'll work. Just think about this, will you? It's…”
 
“I know, okay?!” Sam shouted, “I know…it's selfish…and it's stupid…and I DON'T CARE!”
 
Sam whirled around, glaring at Jazz in defiance. But suddenly, her expression changed from one of rage to what almost appeared to be a look of…desperation.
 
“I need him Jazz.”
 
Jazz could only sigh as she looked at her. She'd already made every argument she'd prepared, given such short notice. There was only one other thing she could think of to say.
 
“He needs YOU too.”
 
That was maybe Sam's first real twinge of doubt. On a purely selfish level, having powers like Danny's was something she had been secretly dreaming of ever since she had first flown with him. But at the same time, she had meant everything she said. And ever since she and Danny had gotten together, she had been feeling it even more strongly. She wanted to be out there with him, having the power to watch his back and keep him from getting hurt. And after seeing her future self in the woods that day, it all seemed to give her the perfect excuse to act on what she wanted. But what if Jazz was right? What if it didn't work? Or if it did, what would happen if she got hurt trying to protect Danny? Would it be worth causing him that kind of pain just for what SHE wanted? Instinctively, Sam felt her hand pulling away from the switch. But just then, something happened that was really the last thing she expected…
 
…Jazz closed her eyes and turned around.
 
“Jazz?” Sam couldn't help feeling confused.
 
“Sam, just…” Jazz couldn't seem to figure out exactly what to say, since she couldn't figure out exactly what she was doing, “…now…before I change my mind.”
 
Sam wasn't sure the best way to respond. Was this like reverse psychology? Some sort of test? Or had she actually gotten Jazz to see her side of the argument? Sam felt like a pair of weighing scales as she looked back and forth at both Jazz and the Ghost Portal switch, thinking of every reason to go through with her plan and every reason not to. Then suddenly, she looked back towards the Ghost Portal switch and before she gave herself the chance to argue against it again, she shut her eyes tight and whipped her fist out, hitting the switch as hard as she could!
 
“EEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!” ;
 
If she lived to be 100, Jazz Fenton would never forget the sound of that chilling scream echoing in her ears. All she could do was whip around as the entire lab was filled with an eerie green light coming from the Ghost Portal! It would be a few moments longer before a figure finally emerged. Her entire body was smoldering with green smoke, but when she looked up, there was no doubt that it was Sam. But her hair was white, her eyes were green! The black and white colors of her clothes had reversed themselves! She had really become…just like Danny!
 
“Did…did it work?” Sam managed to utter, groggy from her ordeal as she struggled to stand. Jazz could only stand in shock for a few moments before slightly nodding her head.
 
“Uh…I THINK so.”
 
“Heh…cool,” Sam chuckled in a daze before her eyes rolled back and she crumpled to the floor of the lab in a heap. As Sam lay sprawled on the floor, all Jazz could do was look down at her and wonder what in the world she had just allowed to happen.