Death Note Fan Fiction / Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Bohemian Rhapsody ❯ Part I: Introduction ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters from Death Note. The lyrics from “Bohemian Rhapsody” are the intellectual property of Queen.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Bohemian Rhapsody
 
-
 
Part I: Introduction
 
-
 
“You lose, Raito-kun.”
 
Impossible. Raito's plan had been flawless. L should've been dead by now. Why wasn't he dead?!
 
There had to be a way to get out of this.
 
“Ryuzaki, this is a mistake! You have to believe me!” Raito screamed frantically. Acting had always been one of his strong points. “I've been framed! Someone tampered with those videos!”
 
“No one has tampered with the videos, Raito-kun,” L stated, unfazed by Raito's antics. “The only people who have access to them are Watari and myself. I am certain that checking your watch would confirm the presence of the Death Note scrap bearing Higuchi's name, and a simple handwriting analysis comparing it to your case notes will cast aside any remaining suspicion of evidence corruption.”
 
Mogi approached Raito from behind to secure his hands it cuffs, but the adolescent jerked his hands away and bolted across the room.
 
“Mogi, what are you doing?!” Raito shrieked. “You can't possibly agree with this lunatic! Even if I were Kira, why would you lock up the man who is helping reduce the crime rate? Isn't that your job as a police officer to do the same thing?”
 
“Raito-kun,” L said solemnly. “You are Kira.”
 
But no, Yagami Raito would not allow himself to be apprehended. He had an earth cleanse, a planet to save. Surely he could outrun the officers.
 
In the end, however, the god Kira was a mere mortal. In the end, Kira could be incapacitated by a taser just like any other human.
 
In the end, even Kira could not escape L.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
When Raito awoke, he was in a jail cell—in fact, the same one in which he'd stayed before when he'd originally turned himself in.
 
“I see you are awake, Raito-kun,” L remarked over the intercom. His voice wasn't masked, Raito noticed.
 
“L, please, let me out of here!” Raito pleaded. “It's all…a mistake.”
 
“Let us not continue this charade any longer, Yagami-kun. We have sufficient evidence that you are Kira, especially now that we have secured the Death Note scrap from your watch that had Higuchi's name.
 
“Now Kira, you must atone for your crimes.”
 
Raito's head hung, defeated. There was no point in arguing with L. Even if he hadn't been Kira, L had made up his mind about Raito ages ago.
 
“Fine, L. You win,” Raito acknowledged tiredly. “I'm ready for capital punishment.”
 
“Not so fast, Raito-kun. I have a task for you before I decide your punishment.”
 
“A task?” Raito asked mockingly. “Are you giving me homework, L?”
 
“That would be an accurate statement so long as you consider that cell your new home.”
 
“Should I?” Raito asked seriously.
 
“We will see,” L replied flippantly. “You will notice that there are several sheets of paper and a couple of ball-point pens located in the corner of your cell. You are expected to give a full confession of your activities as Kira, in addition to any other relevant information regarding the case.”
 
“Why is my confession necessary?” the teenager demanded. “I thought you had all the evidence you needed.”
 
“I'm afraid you do not have a choice, Raito-kun. You have one week.”
 
“Wait, L—I was just trying to make the world a better place. There are so many rotten people! I had to do something; I had to make the world safe for the good people! You must understand! How is it any different from what you do?”
 
“I operate within the laws created by society,” L responded coolly. “I uncover the required evidence before making a sentence. I would rather let some criminals go free than risk killing an innocent man. I am a true detective. You…are just a murderer.”
 
Communication ended.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
-
 
Raito's Point of View
 
-
 
I wasn't going to write anything, just to spite L. But I've been thinking a lot these past six days…about everything that happened since I picked up the Death Note. I have about an hour left, but I will write everything I can. Besides, who better to tell the story of Kira than Kira himself?
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
When I first picked up the Death Note on that seemingly ordinary school day, I thought it was just a prank.
 
-
 
Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
 
-
 
Of course, being the curious but bored teen that I was, I had to test it out. Kurou Otoharada was a convenient subject to experiment on.
 
It worked too perfectly to be sheer coincidence. It was at that very moment that I realized the magnitude of the power the shinigami had shared with me.
 
-
 
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality
 
-
 
Fate had given me an opportunity to change the world, which was currently plagued by rotten people. I would create a utopia, filled only with kind hearted individuals.
 
-
 
Open your eyes
Look up to the skies and see
 
-
 
I knew I was no ordinary human. I had a strong sense of justice. Only I could make the judgments necessary for Kira's New World.
 
I was so irrevocably wrong.
 
I really am…just a murderer.
 
-
 
I'm just a poor boy
I need no sympathy
 
-
 
I will submit to whatever punishment L sees fit.
 
-
 
Because I'm easy come, easy go
A little high, a little low
Any way the wind blows
 
-
 
I'm just a murderer.
 
-
 
Doesn't really matter to me
To me
 
-
 
tbc
 
-
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I should mention that Bohemian Rhapsody is my ALL TIME favorite song…ever. Maybe that's weird. But I am so excited to finally write a fanfiction based on it.
 
I'm a little worried about the characterization, but keep in mind that Raito is caught, and he's been sitting in a cell for 6 days without any company except his own thoughts and memories. Of course, he tried to lie his way out of the situation at first, but once he was in the cell, it dawned on him that there was no escape.
 
Please Review!