Death Note Fan Fiction / Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Bohemian Rhapsody ❯ Part II: Ballad ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters from Death Note. The lyrics from “Bohemian Rhapsody” are the intellectual property of Queen.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Bohemian Rhapsody
 
-
 
Part II: Ballad
 
-
 
Raito's Point of View
 
-
 
Father, Mother, Sayu—I beg for your forgiveness.
 
I murdered so many individuals, and I had no right to, despite my noble intentions. Father, you taught me better than that. Killing with the Death Note was no different than shooting someone with a gun.
 
-
 
Mama, just killed a man
Put a gun against his head
Pulled my trigger now he's dead
 
-
 
I didn't know how far I'd fallen until it was too late.
 
I had once been a model citizen, an upstanding individual in society, but in a matter of a few days I'd become what I loathe most.
 
-
 
Mama,
Life had just begun
And now I've gone in thrown it all away
 
-
 
I suppose I am fortunate Mother and Sayu weren't informed of the…situation. Of course, my father was. But if they found out…they'd be devastated. I let them down as a son and an older brother.
 
-
 
Mama,
Didn't mean to make you cry
 
-
 
Instead, they'll be told that I died trying to catch Kira. A white lie to preserve the sanity of my family.
 
-
 
If I'm not back again this time tomorrow
Carry on, carry on
As if nothing really matters
 
-
 
I am a horrible person—I've ripped apart countless families, including my own—all because of my delusions of grandeur.
 
In a lot of ways, death would be far too kind of a punishment for me.
 
I believe that is what he intends for me—L. Surely I am far too dangerous to be kept alive, even in the frail and weakened state I am currently in.
 
-
 
Too late, my time has come
Sends shivers down my spine
Body's aching all the time
 
-
 
Five minutes remain. I presume L will sentence me once he reads this debriefing.
 
-
 
Goodbye, everybody
I've got to go
Gotta leave you all behind and face the truth
 
-
 
I wish I had more time…to redeem myself.
 
-
 
Mama,
I don't want to die
Sometimes wish I'd never been born at all
 
-
-
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Third Person Point of View
 
-
 
“It's only a page,” Watari stated, sounding disappointed. He held out the single sheet in front of the raven-haired man perched at the desk chair.
 
“Quality is more important than quantity, Watari,” L replied. He didn't take the paper.
 
“Aren't you going to read it?”
 
“I will,” L insisted. “But right now, I fancy a slice of strawberry cheesecake.”
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Task headquarters felt almost unbearably empty without the rest of the Kira investigators present. With the Kira case solved, however, the police officers were all able to go back to their regular jobs. It was strange—not seeing Soichiro work at a computer, or seeing Raito mirror his father's diligence, or seeing Matsuda bother Mogi when he wanted a break.
 
Soichiro had requested to see Raito while he was in confinement, but L had adamantly refused—he had a feeling allowing that would be quite disastrous. He did, however, give Soichiro permission to visit headquarters today and inquire about Raito's sentence. L imagined Soichiro hoped to see his son one last time before his death sentence.
 
L had no intention of allowing that to happen.
 
But in any case, L needed to read Raito's statement soon. He could keep Soichiro—or Raito—waiting forever.
 
He ingested a morsel of the strawberry cheesecake, savoring the sugary taste in his mouth.
 
To tell the truth, L was procrastinating. He never procrastinated. He was a hard worker who, when on a mission, would utilize his full capabilities and resources until the task was finished.
 
He didn't want to read Raito's statement. He was afraid he wouldn't like what he read.
 
L seldom personally knew the criminals he apprehended. Besides Raito, B was the only other. Of course, this difference added a new dimension to both of those cases. It simultaneously made things easier and harder—easier because he knew and understood the suspects more intimately, and harder because they too knew L—much more than L was comfortable with.
 
Raito and B were no ordinary criminals. Even at risk of his own death, L would do whatever it took to capture criminals and ensure Justice was served.
 
It was interesting how many parallels L could draw between the Los Angeles BB Murder cases and the Kira case—the way the perpetrators taunted L, the mind games, the manipulation. And, of course—Naomi Misora. Naomi had been an asset to the BB case; she had even realized B's plan to commit suicide in order to make it seem like he had been a victim, therefore making the case impossible for L to solve. During the Kira case, it seemed that she had uncovered incriminating information about Raito, and unfortunately, Raito had killed her before she had made it to the police.
 
There was one major difference between Raito and B, however—their motive.
 
B had only been interested in proving that he was superior to L—and thereby proving that he was the greatest criminal in the world. Raito, on the other hand, had a genuine interest in making the world a better and safer place. His intentions—though misguided—were not selfish like B's. Arrogant, yes, but never selfish.
 
This disparity in motive posed a problem for L.
 
He couldn't deal with Raito the same way he dealt with B. Justice had to be brought to Raito, to Kira—but throwing Raito into prison like he threw B into prison would not be serving Justice.
 
That was why Raito's statement was so important. Raito's perspective of his part in the Kira case would determine his fate.
 
If there really was no hope for him, L would be able to discern that from the teenager's writing. But that was the worst case scenario. If that happened, what would L do with Raito?
 
L stood, leaving his strawberry cheesecake unfinished. He needed to read Raito's statement right now.
 
-
 
tbc
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Thanks to everyone who gave input last chapter. I really appreciate it.
 
I'd still love to hear your thoughts about how this story is progressing.
 
I also have a question for readers:
 
How would you feel if I wrote a sequel that became an LxLight piece?
 
This piece, however, will remain without pairings. There are only one or two chapters left.