Death Note Fan Fiction / Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Bohemian Rhapsody ❯ Part III: Opera ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Sorry it took so long for me to get this out. I got stuck on the third paragraph of the L section, but when my writer's block finally broke I didn't stop writing until I got through the Light section of Part IV. So all I have left is the L section of Part IV. I think. xD
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters from Death Note. The lyrics from “Bohemian Rhapsody” are the intellectual property of Queen.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Bohemian Rhapsody
 
-
 
Part III: Opera
 
-
 
Raito's Point of View
 
-
 
Darkness.
 
I was falling, falling, falling.
 
When I landed, the lights came on and blinded me.
 
I pushed myself to a seated position and noticed someone else.
 
He looked exactly like me—but he wasn't me.
 
-
 
I see a little silhouetto of a man
 
-
 
It was in his eyes. They looked colder…more sinister.
 
“You're pathetic.”
 
I couldn't argue with him.
 
“Don't give up now. You can still win this.”
 
“No,” I disagreed, shaking my head. “It's over; I've been caught.”
 
-
 
Scaramouch, scaramouch,
Will you do the fandango?
 
-
 
“Then free yourself!” he snarled. “I am sure your pity act will convince even L to keep you alive.”
 
-
 
Thunderbolts of lightning
Very, very frightening me
 
-
 
“It doesn't matter. I'm done with this. Kira was wrong. He's just a murderer.”
 
-
 
Galileo, Galileo,
Galileo Figaro
 
-
 
“The ends justify the means, Raito. You know that better than anyone.”
 
-
 
Magnifico
 
-
 
“No.”
 
He ignored me. “Give up ownership of the Death Note. L will realize you're not dangerous without your memories, as long as you never get your hands on another Death Note. He will have to keep you alive.”
 
-
 
I'm just a poor boy
Nobody loves me
 
-
 
“That's pointless. You'll never achieve your goals anyway.”
 
-
 
He's just a poor boy from a poor family
Spare him his life from this monstrosity
 
-
 
He smirked at me. “On the contrary…I know you, Raito. I know that you will hunt down the Death Note restlessly because you'll want proof of your guilt in being Kira—
 
“I know…because I am you.”
 
-
 
Easy come, easy go
Will you let me go?
Bismillah! No—we will not let yougo
Let him go
-
 
No. I could control this. I could control him.
 
“No!” I denied vigorously. “You…are not me. I created you. I can destroy you.”
 
-
 
Bismillah! We will not let you go
Let him go
Bismillah! We will not let you go
Let me go
 
-
 
“You can't cut me out of your life,” he taunted me. “You can't just smother me so that I fit into your perfect little life the way you want me to.”
 
-
 
We will not let you go
Let me go (never)
Never let you go
Let me go
Never let me go
No, no, no, no
No, no, no
 
-
 
“We'll see about that.”
 
-
 
Mama mia, mama mia
Mama mia let me go
 
-
 
I had to get rid of him. I had to.
 
Before he destroyed me.
 
-
 
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me
For me
For me
 
-
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Third Person Point of View
 
-
 
L was conflicted.
 
Never had he ever dealt with a case quite like that of Yagami Raito's—Kira's. What made him so special?
 
Perhaps it was the teenager's intelligence, which was in par with L's own—and, in some ways (though L would never admit it), exceeded L's own. Raito could predict L's every move—every possible outcome—and plan how to not only avoid suspicion, but use the situation to his advantage.
 
The boy seemed genuinely regretful about his actions as Kira.
 
But was that the truth? Or was it all an act?
 
L didn't know what to think. Even when Raito's acting was at its best, he could see right through him. It wasn't that Raito wasn't good at acting—he was excellent—in fact, the best L had ever seen. But regardless, there were minute in consistencies between Raito's facial expression, tone, and choice of words. Unlike the majority of human individuals, L was not influenced by emotions—not his own, and certainly not the emotions of others. He was exceptionally calculating and scientific in his methods. Objective observation was key to his field of work.
 
Without being able to monitor Raito as the adolescent related his story, L was at a loss. Perhaps the video feeds would help him.
 
Raito had spent the majority of the week in confinement doing absolutely nothing. Well, that was probably inaccurate. Raito's mind, similar to L's, was never at rest. L was certain the teen had been thinking the entire time—thinking, planning, scheming. The question was—what?
 
It seemed that Raito had taken his last hour to scribble down his “confession.” It was unlike Raito, who took pride in his penmanship, to hand in such—dare he say it?—messy work. Raito was meticulous and perfectionistic. This…was unexpected.
 
Was Raito trying to throw him off? Was this break in character his attempt of getting out of the death penalty?
 
L believed in Justice. But he also believed in redemption—though only in cases where the individual regretted his actions and desired to make amends for past wrongs. Could L really just destroy Kira—at the cost of Yagami Raito?
 
L wasn't so foolish to think that Raito and Kira were two completely separate entities. Kira was Raito—but only under certain circumstances, namely the Death Note. If Yagami Raito had never come in contact with the Death Note, L was certain that Raito would have become one of the greatest detectives in the world, but instead working beside L, not against him. It was not mere coincidence that he and Raito had met. Raito's intelligence and ingenuity was bound to bring him to L, one way or another.
 
This predicament had brought up another of L's concerns. Did L want to throw away such a gifted individual? What a waste. Raito would undoubtedly be an asset to his work. It was true that L had only worked alone in the past, but even he could see the value in having an extra pair of eyes.
 
It wasn't like L could just make a decision and change his mind later. He couldn't give Raito the death penalty and then renege—death, after all, was quite permanent. If he kept Raito alive, he'd also have to take full responsibility for that decision, whether it was a life prison sentence in jail or a life prison sentence with L. Indecisiveness would only breed doubt regarding L's capabilities and state of mind.
 
He disliked the idea of capital punishment—at least where it concerned Raito. The problem: he didn't know that Raito didn't regret his actions, not like he'd known Raito was Kira. It wouldn't be Justice to kill Raito if he felt remorse.
 
Life in prison was more appealing, but again, it was a waste of Raito's talents. And what better way to make Kira atone for his sins than forcing him to catch criminals the legal way?
 
Perhaps the decision wasn't so difficult after all. As unsettling as it was to let off the biggest mass murder in history (it wasn't really “letting off” when Raito would be under L's constant supervision), it was still serving Justice.
 
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I really tried to get into L's head for his portion. I had great difficulty—hence the long time it took me to get out the chapter—but once I did, I was immersed. I hope I did him justice (along with Raito).
 
I realize that technically L worked with Naomi Misora during the Los Angeles BB murders, but I was under the impression he never actually showed his face to her. And while L does respect Naomi (both her work ethic and intelligence), I don't believe he sees her as an intellectual equal the way he sees Raito. That explains my rational for the “L had only worked alone in the past” line.
 
Please Review! I'd love to hear your thoughts.