Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ A Balm for Social Failure ❯ Two for the Show ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

A Balm for Social Failure

(Chapter 7: Two for the Show)
Light x L

L begins to suspect something is missing from his life. He believes the key to be in social interaction - his weak point. At the appearance of the enigma named Light Yagami, he is challenged to rise to the occasion.

Disclaimer: see ch. 1 for full disclaimer

_______________________________________________________ ______________________________________________


Chapter 7:


As suspected, the lobby attendant wasn't in the least bit suspicious when Light asked what room his "uncle" Watari was staying in. Under the influence of his dazzling smile, she was tripping over herself to be helpful. She even rang his room to make sure he was there, telling the older gentleman that she was just checking to make sure his accommodations had been pleasing so far.

When she hung up, she beamed at him and gave him the number on a slip of paper so as not to alert her supervisor to just how helpful she was being.

"Thank you," Light checked her name badge, "Minami-chan."

"You're welcome," she fluttered. "Will you be by again?"

He noticed she had scrawled a little heart on the back of the note. "That is almost certain," he said enigmatically. Since headquarters is here, he amended mentally. But it couldn't hurt to keep on her good side. He might need something later.

He took his leave, shrugging off the cloying effect of her adoration with a mild shudder. Infatuated girls were woefully tedious. Why was it that their brains abruptly fizzled out and they were able to do nothing but spout useless social drivel like a freaking recording while batting their eyelashes, to the exclusion of anything that would be of actual INTEREST?

Room 613.

He took the elevator on the far side of the lobby. No need to endure being watched in his six-floor ascent. Glass elevators. Where they really necessary?

---

Watari answered on the second knock and stepped outside of the room, looking mildly surprised to see him.

"To what do I owe this visit, Yagami-kun?" He was putting on brown English coat with leather patches on the elbows. "I was just on my way out to the dining hall bordering the fountain... lovely ambiance, and they do not mind my pipe." He patted one of his front pockets. "I assume you were the reason my comfort was asked after?"

Light nodded and kept a steady projection of benign concern. "I truly apologize for such... roundabout ways of contacting you, but I couldn't leave this be for so long." It really irked him that Watari and L were unreachable. He hoped this was being as inconvenient as possible for the man.

Watari raised whitened brows.

"I'm worried about Ryuuzaki..." Light made a show of anxiously smoothing his shirt. "He's been acting strangely the last several weeks, as I am sure you have noticed..."

"I have."

"And I can't help but think it is my fault somehow."

Watari remained silent, but with a thoughtful expression. He was remembering L's obsessive re-watching of task force footage, especially that which contained none other than Yagami Light. "A possibility, I suppose," he relented to the young man.  "And what do you propose to do about it?"

"If you could tell me where he is - I merely wish to speak with him. He was saying strange things about friendship, but then on the whole, he's been avoiding me..."

Watari smoothed his mustache and considered.

L had expressly told him that if Light ever came looking for him, to keep him away. His reason being that Light might be Kira, yada yada. It was also the same excuse he gave for watching Light for countless hours in the monitor room at high zoom, when he thought Watari wasn't looking. And again, the same reason he gave for tailing the younger boy at school when the investigation would easily progress more if he was spending those hours actually compiling and sorting data. It didn't take a genius to add it up.

Watari looked at the earnest boy in front of him and weighed the consequences.

L had been miserable lately. He'd been known to go into sulks before, but nothing like those he'd been undergoing since meeting the younger Yagami. L also had a penchant for not knowing what was good for him. He said to bar Light, but L wouldn't be in any more danger from Kira here, if the brunette was in fact Kira, than he would have been any of the times he'd been alone with Light. Besides, they knew now that Kira needed a name and that would not be forthcoming. So perhaps this once, he would choose to ignore his charge's instructions.

"He's in the study," Watari said in his stately voice.

Light was surprised. He would have expected the two to have separate suites.

Watari picked up on the thought. "It became too cumbersome with all the moving around. And needlessly expensive."

Light nodded, still amazed that Watari was actually going to leave L alone with him, seeing as he was a suspect.

"Yagami-kun. You have not been eased of suspicion," Watari informed him gravely. "I'm allowing you to speak with Ryuuzaki for other reasons." Light looked properly submissive, which was probably the only logical way to act after being chastised. They really were alike in some ways. Hardly ever an honest reaction - everything was thought out and pre-planned. "I'll be back soon," he said, placing his hat on his head and tipping it in Light's direction.

---

L had been over it a million times now, and he still didn't know what to think. He'd peeled back every layer of the conversation, delved into the dialogue each one of them had contributed, and still...

He couldn't confidently say whether Light had been jerking him around or not.

The brunette had, however, used every opportunity to speak over his father's head, even down to the most subtle nuance of expression. As if trying to forcibly open the dormant link between them that L was doing his damnedest to keep shut down.

All appearances would speak to him feeling completely hampered by the girlfriend Misa, and that he was as frustrated with these games and the circling as L was. And yet, given the first opportunity, the hinting at his disbelief in L's supposed Misa-crush and the alluding to where his jealousy truly lay...it was as if Light were reminding him that he was supposed to be smothered by the weight of these misplaced feelings.

And indeed he was. Keeping a blank face was not as easy as it used to be. Especially with Light peering at him, studying him for signs of life.

Stranger still was Light's admission of love, though he balked at confirming it directly, choosing ambiguity which was typically the other boy's way of leading a person to believe something was true when it was, in fact, not.

Another smack to his own feelings then? But then why that particular choice of words? '...I hate to admit as much...' he'd said, leading one to assume that he was merely shy. But then why the intent look Light directed at him right after? A look that practically smacked of 'don't believe me'.

L scowled.

He'd already decided he was done.

Done.

He would not allow Light to push him around like a willing pawn. He'd given the other boy his most honest attempt at friendship, and though he'd become tangled in things far deeper, which wasn't the brunette's fault, it would go no further. 

Today was difficult - he'd had a hard time acting out the emotionless detective part that used to be so natural - but tomorrow would be easier. And the next, easier. He closed his eyes. Light could just rot with that famous, peroxided bimbo he called a girlfriend for all he cared. It was his own damn fault if he was dating someone he didn't like. It's no concern of mine.

L sank deeper into the tub and blew some water bubbles in irritation.

They say that no man is an island, but he was resolving himself to proving that little proverb wrong. No distraction, no hurt, it sounded fucking fantastic.

"There you are." A voice that was most definitely not Watari's startled L into nearly choking on soapy bath water.

L's eyes felt wide as saucers, his heart beating frantically in his chest as he watched the topic of his thoughts walk into the bathroom. "Light?? What are you doing in here??"

Light casually took a seat on the closed lid of the toilet next to the tub. "I wanted to talk to you."

"Right now?" L squeaked out. "Can't it wait a few minutes?" Like when I'm not naked??

Light shrugged. "You're more than welcome to leave, I suppose. I certainly can't keep you here."

L eyed his clothing on the distant counter and the towel that was more than arm's reach away. "We can talk..." he relented, wondering how long the bubbles were likely to last. 15 minutes? 10?

---

Light couldn't believe his luck. What a compromising situation to find the other boy in.

He'd roamed through the suite - it was larger and more opulent than he had expected - and was surprised at the number of rooms it contained. The lamp in the study had been on, but the room was empty. He found that one other room had a light on under the door. Apparently L had changed his mind about working and had decided to bathe.

The dark-haired boy did not notice as he pushed the door open.

He did not realize Light's presence until he spoke, and at that he nearly drowned himself with his startled flailing.

He very nearly reminded Light of a scared rabbit. His hair was slicked down, making his dark eyes look exceptionally wide, and his shoulders curved forward protectively. Light wondered if his heart was beating just as fast. It was also rather endearing the way he tried to sink below the water as if he could hide his body, or erase the glimpse of smooth, glistening skin Light had been privy to just seconds before.

L was suitably self-conscious and wary, completely at odds with his high-handed behavior earlier. Entirely different from the all-powerful, emotionless, world-class detective.

It made it quite easy to relax and talk to him about nothing in particular.

It was a joy to watch the paranoia and confusion cloud him as he tried to figure out Light's true intent.

---

"Light... not to sound rude, but I fail to see why you think this conversation, pleasant as it may have been otherwise, demands such immediate attention."

"Oh, it doesn't," Light said, gracing him with a  smile.

L frowned, disconcerted. "Then why... "

"I'm waiting for all the bubbles to expire." 

L felt his face go red at the implication. "W-what the-! I actually thought you had something important to say, and you-!"

"Oh, but I do." Light leveled him with a glance that made him aware of every inch of bare skin, and how very much he was at the brunette's mercy. L's anger died like a beaten thing. His flush however, lived to fight another day.

"Enough games, Light, I'm sick of it."

L tried to affix his stoic detective mask to his face. He tried to pretend he was fully clothed and that Light wasn't leaning over the tub.

"Isn't the water getting a bit cold, Ryuuzaki?" Light dipped his fingers into the water and swirled them around.

L flinched as he felt the disturbed water caress his skin. Light's hand was very near to his hip. Mortified, he felt his body stir to the thought of just how close that hand was. He beat the reaction down brutally. Or at least he tried to.

"What was all of that about today?" Light asked him in a cavalier manner, as if it didn't matter one way or the other. His slender index finger was trailing the surface of the water directly over L.

L tried to sink lower into the tub, but he didn't really have anywhere to go. "Could Light-kun be a little more specific?"

Light leaned over him, until they were almost nose-to-nose. "What are you hiding behind that cold facade?"

L felt his eyes get as big as ones like his ever got. He could feel Light's breath on his lips. Soft bangs brushed his cheek. The air between them felt heavy and charged. L struggled to breathe. "I'm not hiding anything."

"You've been avoiding me." Lips brushed over his, and L was sure he was going to die. The heat that throttled through him at the simple touch was like crackling live wires.

It was useless to lie. "Stop it, Light," he said weakly.

"Didn't you say you wished we were friends?" Light said smokily. "Well, I want more than that from you." He moved forward, catching L's lips in a true kiss, forcing the detective's mouth open to accept him.

L made a noise and fought against the desire cramping his stomach and shivering through each limb. Light's kiss was aggressive, lips and tongue moving not to explore, but to possess.

L tried to push him back, but his wet hands merely clung as greedy fingers stroked a line down his hip. They skirted the ache at the center of his being.

"Stop, stop," he said hoarsely. Light's shoulders were firm under his desperate hands.

"Tell me you don't want this," Lighted breathed into his ear as he touched him. "Tell me you haven't wanted this as badly as I have. Tell me that and make me believe you."

L shook his head mutely, completely overcome as Light's hand embraced his embarrassment. His entire body shuddered at even the first slow caresses.

It was dismay that overshadowed the fog overlaying his mind. This wasn't what he'd planned - he was going to stop this mad descent - to cut Light out of him - to regain his footing. But there hadn't been time.

L's breath came fast and haphazard.

The coaxing strokes of Light's sinful hand were blinding him, deafening him, even as they arched his back.

I don't want him to see me like this.

His hand's dug deep into Light's shoulders, the only thing that was grounding him. Throughout his body was a tight coiling, like a spring being wound. He fought it, fought it and the pleasure only increased in intensity until it was nearly pain.

"Let go, L," Light whispered against his lips.

I can't. I can't. For what happens after you drag me down to that level? Will you leave me there? I don't even know if I can trust you.

What does this mean to you? How will you use it against me?

L made a last attempt to struggle, to escape his mental torment and the bittersweet affliction of Light's sure hands. He splashed as he could find not purchase against the slick bottom of the tub. It was drown or be undone.

"Don't fight me." Light's tongue delicately traced his lower lip, redirecting and splitting his attention. His voice was not unaffected. "Give me what I want, L." It was as raw as it was commanding. Hands, lips, words, there was too much to focus on. Light slid his tongue between L's parted lips and out again. Owning his mouth in a slow, scandalous pantomime of thrusting that dragged a low moan from the back of L's throat. 

He was losing the battle. Every new stimulus assaulted his senses with evil intent, dragging him one breath closer to the edge.

"I want to feel your skin against mine," Light breathed harshly in his ear, his head resting against L's, his lips brushing L's cheek. "I want to feel your body lose control under mine..." L was biting his lip against the reaction those words invoked, the molten heat between his legs at the thought of it.
 
He felt teeth graze the sensitive skin of his neck, then gasped aloud as they bit down suddenly. Bright white light danced in front of his eyes, and his head spun as the sharp pain tipped him so close to-

"Come for me right now, or I swear to god - I'll take you on the bathroom floor," Light panted, gripping him hard.

L cried out as his body reacted almost violently to Light's words, orgasm pulsing through his body with bruising force, bowing his back into a tight arch as it took away all sense and control.

His entire body, spent, was like soft rubber. All his limbs were useless and trembling.

He dimly noted that Light must've kept his head above the water the entire time. That didn't seem like something Kira would do...

The sound of cascading water caught his attention and he realized he was being lifted out of the tub.

The idea of being carried was discordant enough to make his eyes open. He was about to protest when he was dumped on his feet, wrapped in a towel, and picked back up. The towel restricted his arms and kept him pinned somewhat against Light's chest. How the hell was the other boy strong enough to carry - oh it didn't matter, did it? The rocking motion was making him dizzy and more tired than he already was and made thinking feel rather unpleasant.

L could perceive their movement through the suite, and the rotation as he was turned to fit through a doorway. But, he couldn't make himself care enough to open his eyes. Was it the heat of the bath and then.... subsequent events that were making him light headed. It was a little like heat stroke.

Light set him down on what felt like a bed, and unwrapped the towel, exposing his skin to the cool air. It eased the hot murky mess of his mind. L sat up after a moment, a hand to his head.

He was in one of the suite's bedrooms. It was the one he had been using, judging by the smile pile of clothes kicked in the corner that he hadn't bothered himself with yet. The door was closed. To his right, he found Light watching him as he unbuttoned his long sleeved dress shirt.

L jumped and pulled a corner of the towel over his lap when a quick glance confirmed he was completely exposed. "What are you doing?" L managed to ask fairly calmly, considering.

3 buttons. 4.

L watched the nimble fingers work to expose a thin view of naturally tawny skin.

It was only when he met Light's luminous honey-colored eyes that the other boy spoke.

"You got my shirt wet," he said simply. "I'll have to let it dry." He undid the last button and shrugged out of the shirt with fluid grace. He displayed the half damp shirt to L. "I can't very well walk around like this." His voice held slight mocking. "What would people think?"

"I think it is safe to assume none of them would guess correctly."

L was wary. Light was too polished from how he was just a few minutes ago. Did this herald something bad?

"And if I were to meet Watari in the hall?"

"..." Did Watari know Light was here? But he'd told the man to keep Light from approaching him. For just such reasons as this. "Does Watari have cause to suspect you'd molest me?" It sounded harsh and awkward even to L's ears, but he was still naked, and Light was now half-naked, and he wanted some distance. He didn't like that he couldn't seem to quit watching the other boy's body as he paced slowly.

Step, step, turn. Light had a lovely back. Smooth planes of muscle that shifted as he moved in an effect that was somewhat hypnotizing.

Step, step, step, turn. L averted his eyes, not wanting to be caught staring. "I assume you spoke to Watari, that he was the one who let you in... Did he say where he was going?"

"Look at me, Ryuuzaki."

"Huh?"

"Stop thinking about every little thing outside this room," Light grabbed L by his upper arms, "and look at me."

Startled, L complied. Deep in those dark gold eyes swam the intensity he'd seen as Light had been touching him. He swallowed. "What do you want from me, Light?"

"I want to possess every scrap of your mind and body, so utterly that you never look away from me again."

Oh, there was that traitorous ache gathering in his belly again. No good. "You can't be serious," L said flatly, trying to mask his reaction.

"I'm deadly serious. Do you want me to prove it to you?"

How Light planned to do that would have to remain a mystery - it was too risky a thing to say 'yes' to.  "I don't believe that's necessary. I just fail to see how I can trust anything you say, given your behavior as a wanna-be 'friend'."

"I never wanted to be your friend."

That stung. To think he'd started to believe that maybe, just maybe Light had been honest when he'd said that he would've been L's friend if only L had spoken of it. "Well, great. That's just great." L wrenched at his arms, trying to free them. So you'd rather fuck with my head, is that it? "Let go, dammit," he snarled, losing his cool at last.

Light held fast and pushed him over onto his back.

L struggled as Light pinned him. "What're you-?!"

As the feel of Light's body stretched along his was not enough, he felt a hardness against his hip that made him take pause. It reminded him very suddenly that while he may have found release, wanted or not, Light had not. Maybe the other boy had more control than he, because he would not have been able to do what Light did, and remain as unaffected as he had appeared until now. "Light?"

Light shifted on top of him and L felt that hardness brush against him, pulling a surprised cry from his lips. It was utterly ridiculous that his body was reacting to this again so soon. But it was, and the pressure of Light's firm stomach on hardening flesh was torturous. Damn him. DAMN him. "Get off of me, dammit!" he choked out.

"I knew from the beginning that we would never be friends, Ryuuzaki," Light whispered against his neck. "Do you know why?"

L writhed underneath him, trying to get free, only making things worse.

Light inhaled sharply. "Ryuu-zaki..."

L refuted the thrill that coursed through him as he heard that stilted voice.

Light began thrusting against him, making L gasp as he ground out, "It's because I knew- it would never- be- enough."

Did that make sense? L was no longer sure of anything but the intense craving that Light seemed able to conjure out of him with minimal effort.  His body was shuddering, this second instance of lust felt more raw than last time, his senses already blasted wide open once before.

He could hear a voice gasping out half uttered words, and prayed it wasn't himself. But it must have been, because Light's rough voice was a companion in his ear, vocalizing sounds that were making his whole body flush with embarrassment and feeding his arousal till he wasn't sure he could last another second.

The rhythm of the thing suddenly began crumbling apart at the edges. Light's movements were no longer something that could be anticipated, each one pushing a groan from his lips as the aching in his groin spiked sharply.

"Ryuu-zaki..." Light's near breathless voice called out lustfully as his body was swept up in the throes of climax.

L's body echoed. Hearing Light's passion spilling over was enough to throw him over the edge. His body seized and strained against Light's as the pleasure tightened and exploded in successive rushes.

L became aware of the sound of their panting breaths, and the sheen of sweat that dampened their entangled limbs.

"Won't... Misa... be upset?" L labored to get out. He was now getting seriously disturbed about where this 'non-friendship' might be going. He was in over his head, and was currently drowning.

"Shhh." Light said tiredly. "I couldn't care less what she thinks."

L couldn't stop working at it...Was this going to be a regular thing? A not regular thing? Strings attached or no? He wanted the strings. Desperately so. Monogamy would be nice, too. Was that getting too greedy?

"Ryuuzaki."

"...yes?"

"Quit thinking so furiously," Light mumbled, "you're making my head hurt."

"But-"

"Please. I'm begging you."

That didn't sound like a very convincing tone, L thought. It was rather too deadpan to sound like pleading.

Light cracked open his eyes and regarded L solemnly. "We'll talk after, ok?"

L nodded slowly and was surprised that Light pulled him close as he shut his eyes.

---
TBC