Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Card Captor Mikami ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Card Captor Sakura crossed with Death Note = Card Captor Mikami. I have no excuse for this fic. *Nodnod*
Title: Card Captor Mikami (Episode 1)
Author: Shadow/Phantomness
Pairing: None yet
Fandom: Death Note
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Death Note belongs to Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata. Card Captor Sakura belongs to CLAMP and Kodansha. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Don't steal and don't sue. Thank you *Phantomness bows*
Summary: A series of interrelated drabbles, of what might have happened if Mikami had gotten the Clow Book before the Death Note
Warnings: AU, crossover
 
He was not quite sure what made him pick up the book. It had been carefully covered with a dust jacket, but that seemed to be the limit of care. He normally was not the type to drop into antique shops, but something had drawn him in and he had found it.
It was quite lovely, a golden cover with thick red leather binding and a winged beast on the front, golden-maned with white wings.
It would look good on his one of his bookshelves, a welcome change from the endless rote of law. He had purchased it, tucked it into his briefcase, and gone home, determined not to think about it any more.
 
Not three days later, he had come home to find the book lying open. Somehow, it must have fallen off the shelf. The strange winged moon on the back was missing, and Mikami frowned. His security cameras showed no footage. In fact, as he closed the book carefully and began to review the tapes, he was starting to wonder if there was perhaps something supernatural about this book.
It… floated, for lack of a better word, and he could almost feel a pulse from it. Interesting. He glanced through the cards, leafing through them. They looked like old-style tarot, but with English names.
He stopped as one caught his eye - a scale, dangling the sun and the moon. It was a beautiful interpretation of justice. “Libra…”
A moment later, his world imploded in a corona of brilliant light, and he was vaguely aware of wind rushing past his ears. As his vision cleared, he saw to his surprise that the other cards had gone missing.
What on earth?
The small, yellow winged creature that looked like a teddy bear with wings that appeared moments later was enough to almost - almost send the poor man into hysterics. Mikami managed to make sense of what the plushie was saying through the haze of shock.
 
“So you're saying that since I let these cards go free, I have to… capture them?” Mikami asked slowly.
The teddy bear nodded. “Yes. It is now your duty as the Card Captor. Oh! I still have to give you the wand.”
A minute later, Mikami was staring dully at the bright pink monstrosity in his hands. He resisted the urge to bolt, being as it would be both ineffective and pointless. After all, if the bear was right…
These Clow Cards would have power… and he could use this power to aid him in his pursuit of justice. Indeed, had not he been Chosen?
Yes… and since Kira had descended, it was evidence enough of God. The fact that these cards had come to him was simply more proof that he was worthy.
“I understand, Cerberus.” Mikami said simply. “When do I start?”
The winged lion cub clapped his paws together excitedly. “Right now, of course! If the Cards are scattered, a catastrophe will befall the world, so you have to start now! But first…”
“Yes?” Mikami queried.
“May I have some pudding?”
The prosecutor stared at the small creature, before he stood. The wand in his hands glittered, become a key. With a shrug, Mikami tucked it into his pocket, before he turned to Cerberus.
“Well, I don't have any pudding at home. Let's go.”
Cerberus happily tucked himself into the man's suit pocket, beaming.
 
End Part 1
Completed 2/13/07
Mikami: …
Phantomness: *Hides* Come on, what card do you think Mikami would pick up? Libra seemed the best bet to me, he probably wouldn't mutter `Windy' under his breath, unless there's a card called `The Eliminate' or something… but then again, how would Libra scatter the cards, and how is Mikami going to fight them with nothing but a truth or lie? Well, that is something to think about… it'll be interesting when Cerberus discovers exactly how crazy his new Card Captor is…