Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Death Note: Natsburg Town Massacre ❯ Contact ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Based off of "Death Note"
 
 
 
 
 
Prologue:
 
 
 
"You wouldn't understand, Will..." Jacob said, frowning at his friend as they walked home from high school.
 
"Really?..Why is that?" Will responded.
 
"Becuase you've never truly been in love"
 
"In love?" Will said, laughing "your in love with beth? Is that why you just spent $80 on that necklace?"
 
"Yeah, I just thought she'd like it."
 
"Well, I'm sure she will, but, do you really need to spend money to prove you love her?" Will questioned.
 
"No.....she didn't ask me to get her anything. I just did it."
 
Will shook his head. "This is high-school..your only 16...Everyone thinks they're in love at our age"
 
Jacob laughed "Who told you that?"
 
"My brother. You know how he is. He's dated half of the senior class. He knows."
 
The two of them continued walking down the street. Hearing sound of thunder caused them to quicken they're pace.
 
"Hey, y'know.." Will started. "What do you think it would be like...to be killed by lightning?"
 
Jacob thought for a moment.
 
"Painful."
 
"My dad says people who are killed by lightning are sinners who are struck down by God himself."
 
Jacob frowned. "God?...That's retarded. I'd think a god can kill someone however he want's. Lightning is so..... Random.."
 
"I think he uses lightning for especially bad people." Will said turning in the direction of his house. "Of course, I'm just talking out of my ass.."
 
They both laughed.
 
"Seeya tommorow, man" Will said as he headed off. "Tell beth I said Hi."
 
"Right."
 
Jacob watched Will's tall frame dissapear behind the tall tree in front of his house..
 
 
 
He shook his head at the thought of lightning being used as a form of punishment.
 
 
 
It was absurd.
 
 
 
 
 
- - - -
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
(The realm of the Death Gods)
 
 
 
"What time is it, Cilus?" A cold voice asked out of the darkness.
 
"Time for you to-"
 
The response was cut off.
 
"What the hell!" Cilus choked. "Why do you strike me every time I try to crack a joke!"
 
"Becuase, your jokes are very old."
 
"It's not my fault! I haven't been to the human world in 50 years!"
 
"That is your fault. If you'd simply drop your notebook, you'd have reason to venture back into the human world."
 
The figure floated from out of his pit. Pointing a long bony finger, the creature pointed to the portal out into the distance.
 
"You could learn some new jokes to tell me.. Maybe even... Learn some that wouldn't force me to strike you."
 
"Why do you wan't me to return there, Thanatos?" Cilus questioned.
 
Thanatos floated past Cilus and gazed at the portal.
 
"You can always go they're yourself." Cilus suggested.
 
"I've been they're twice." Thanatos replied. "Both times I've been very succesful..."
 
"So why not go again?"
 
Thanatos growled. "Do you know how unlikely it is for my notebook to fall in the hands of someone as worthy as Ceasar or Hitler? I do not want to risk having to follow around some fool for the remainder of they're life span."
 
Cilus went silent for a moment. "Well, you never know, you could go 3 for 3.."
 
"As I said before, the chances of that are 6 billion to 1."
 
Thanatos ventured out closer to the portal. He could see the light shimmering from it's entrance. The vast expanse of space between the Death god's realm and the human realm was immense, but through that portal, it only took an instant to enter they're world.
 
 
 
It was tempting to simply unclip the holster that held the notebook and toss it into the portal. It would be simple enough to find it. But where would he throw it? Would he throw it back into Germany? Or may closer to Asia this time?
 
 
 
Suddenly a figure rushed passed Thanato.
 
It was Cilus.
 
"I'm goin' in, Thanatos!" He yelled as he launched his notebook into the portal.
 
"You idiot!" Thanatos roared.
 
"What?"
 
"You have to toss it into the human world and GUIDE it where you want it to go!"
 
"...."
 
"Your an imbecile."
 
"How come you didn't tell me this earlier!!" Cilus cried. "Now It'll take me forever to find it!!"
 
"Its your own fault, idiot!"
 
Cilus sprinted off and flew into the portal, his wings sprouting from his back.
 
Thanatos sighed.
 
-
 
It poured that afternoon.
 
Jacob disliked rain during the school week.
 
He always felt as if rain was an omen of some sort, and usually not a particularly good one. Last time it rained during the school week, Report Cards came out and Jacob had failed 2 classes. Jacob also remembered it raining on the day he lost his english report, and had to take a 0 on the assignment he'd spent 3 hours preparing for.
 
"Not today, rain..." Jacob mumbled as he closed the blinds to his room.
 
He reached into his pocket and retrieved the necklace casing. Opening it, he examined the necklace. It was simply a gold necklace, but it had a custom plating on the front of it which read "B.R", Beth's initials.
 
Jacob imagined her reaction to the necklace. He sould see her smiling and embracing him, thanking him for the thoughtful gesture. It would be a perfect scene, and no amount of rain could stop it from happening.
 
Jacob decided he couldn't wait for the rain to die down. Grabbing an umbrella from his closet, he headed downstairs in a hurry. His Dad would be home from work in half an hour, and he wanted to be home by then.
 
Suddenly his phone vibrated.
 
He pulled it from his pocket and saw that it was Beth's friend Laura leaving him a text-message. He decided he'd open it when he got back.
 
As soon as he stepped outside, he saw a flash of light off into the distance. A loud crack of thunder roared, causing a few car alarms to go off.
 
I'll be fine as long as God doesn't hate me.. Jacob thought, sarcastically
 
It took a few minutes for him to navigate around the puddles and mud, but after a good 10 minutes, he arrived at her house. Another flash of lightning.
 
The thunder caused the car acrossed the streets alarm to sound.
 
 
 
Something caught Jacobs eye.
 
Looking up on the second floor he saw Beth's blinds swaying. She mustve just saw him walking up the steps to her house.
 
He wondered if her parents were home.
 
He decided not to knock, and assumed that Beth did see him and was on her way down stairs to greet him.
 
He waited a good 5 minutes before he cast that idea aside.
 
He rang the doorbell.
 
Another 5 minutes passed with no response.
 
Maybe she hadn't seen him?
 
She had to be doing something that prevented her from hearing the doorbell, Jacob thought.
 
He called her and immediately received her voice mail:
 
"Hey, this is Beth, leave a message."
 
"Hey beth?" Jacob started after hearing the beep tone, "I was just calling to see how your doing..Give me a call when you can, k? Love you."
 
He put the phone back in his pocket and rung the doorbell again.
 
Still no response.
 
"It'll just have to wait then.." Jacob said to himself as he headed back down the driveway. Jacob didn't hear the steady tap of water on his umbrella.
 
It had stopped raining.
 
Looking up, he saw the clouds beginning to thin out.
 
Suddenly, Jacob somehow lost his balance and fell on his back.
 
"Damn it!" Jacob cried out, as he picked himself up. His clothes were now drenched, and covered with dirt and mud. He looked at the ground, and scowled.
 
 
 
What is that?
 
 
 
Jacob bent down and picked up what looked like a black notebook. It was soaked, and the front of it was so horribly wet, it simply fell apart.
 
He opened it up and saw that it hadn't been used. Every page was blank.
 
"Well, I'd better throw it away so nobody else slips on it." Jacob muttered to himself.
 
 
 
- - - -
 
 
 
Jacobs dads laughter spread throughout the house.
 
"Your that clumsy, huh?" He said shaking his head at his son.
 
"It was this thing!" Jacob said shaking the tattered notebook in his dads face. "Someone left it on the floor and I slipped on it."
 
"Whatever you say." His dad said as he headed into the kitchen.
 
"Your homework done?"
 
"I'm about to start on it"
 
"Make sure you get it done. Your sister's supposed to be visiting us this weekend"
 
"Mary or Karen?" Jacob asked.
 
"Mary"
 
"Oh..."
 
 
 
Jacob despised Mary.
 
As horrible as it was to say that, he simply couldn't stand the type of person she was.
 
 
 
He'd just have to keep his distance from her this weekend.
 
 
 
Jacob went back in his room and closed the door. He did have a lot of homework, and he couldn't affored for his grades to drop again. He started to throw the soggy notebook he had been carrying away when he noticed something inscribed on what was left of the front page.
 
 
 
He squinted his eyes trying to make out what it said.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"The person who's name has been written in the notebook, shall die."