Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Death Note : Rebirth ❯ Defeat ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER 3
 
DEFEAT
 
“Everyone! That's enough for today. It's already 6 o'clock. Thanks for your hard work. See you tomorrow morning.”
Every member turned off his or her computer and TV, grabbed their jackets and left the room while wishing “good night” to Light and Matsuda.
“Ryuk.”
“Yes, Light?”
“Gather the pages.”
“Ok.”
“Matsuda.”
“Yes?”
“Any news from the television?”
“Yeah. It seems that your old supporters are revolting against the police forces from other countries. Some leaders are still trying to convince their people that you are evil.”
“Hmm…it looks like some people still don't know what's best for them. I want a list with all the rebel leaders. Give it to Genshi tonight so that he can take care of them.”
“Understood.”
Matsuda was now heading back to his front desk, turned back on his computer and searched for the major state leaders and while doing this he found a name that sounded quite familiar.
“Huh? Light”
“What is it, Ryuk?”
“I've found blank pages. Again.”
“Hmm…just like yesterday. It seems that someone refuses to respect my orders. Ryuk, I want you to keep an eye on him.”
“Alright, Light. But I want my apples.”
“Matsuda, where are Ryuk's apples?”
“Akito was supposed to bring them. I don't know what happened.”
“Ok. It doesn't really matter anyway.”
“Light.”
“Yes, Matsuda?”
“One of the leaders that are against us seems to be the former owner of the orphanage where L, Near and Mello lived.”
“Which state?”
“The UK.”
“Is it possible that he brought up any more mini Ls?”
“No idea. Maybe.”
“Don't kill him. Yet.”
“Understood.”
“I have some future plans with him.”
Ryuk finished gathering all of the used and unused Death Notes papers, brought them to Light and he set them on fire.
Finally, Mikami and his companions made their appearance from the back of the conference room with a cart full of a fresh stack of Death Notes.
“You're late.”
“I'm sorry, Light. But I've been stalled because of a matter of a great importance.”
“What is it?”
“We've caught Cero.”
“Took you long enough. Anyway, at least you have him.”
“And there is one more thing.”
“What?”
Mikami went to the cart and pulled out one of the Death Notes.
“Cero used this notebook to kill one of the death gods.
“What? Are you sure?”
“We've already tested it on a volunteer.”
“Good. I'll take it. It might come in handy.”
“What should we do with Cero?”
“Bring him down here as soon as possible.”
“Understood. We'll be back in half an hour.”
Mikami and the two left, heading back for the death god realm to retrieve the former King. Meanwhile, Light gave Ryuk and Matsuda the Death Notes and told them to put two of them in front of each seat and the rest of them to be put in a secure locker. After they have finished their job, Mikami was already back with Cero.
“Nice to see you again, your ex-majesty.”
“You again. I wish I haven't brought you back. All you did was bring more trouble. And you also disturbed the order within my realm.”
“Your realm? Don't make me laugh. And there was no order at all until I showed up. All death gods were scattered around the realm with absolutely no occupation.”
“It IS my realm! If it weren't for me, there would be no living death god now. I was the one that brought the Death Notes! I was the one that gave them to the death gods and taught them how to use them.”
“What about this Death Note that can kill death gods?”
“Enma gave it to me to use it in case something goes wrong.”
“So if I write your name in here, you will die, right?”
“You wouldn't want to do that.”
“And why is that?”
“Because Enma will come for you.”
“Like I would believe that. You're not that important.”
“Don't be so ignorant. You don't know how-“
Silence surrounded the conference room and everyone was staring towards Light and the former King, including the second half of the Legacy that has just arrived. Cero was dead.