Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Death Note : Rebirth ❯ Memories ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER 5
 
MEMORIES
 
“Light, I've followed Matsuda, exactly as you told me to.”
“Well, Ryuk? What happened?”
“He's dead.”
“What? How? What happened?”
“Well, it looks like that guy had a Death Note that belonged to Near.”
“Near? Yes! How could I have forgotten that? And? Did you get the guy's name?”
“No. He had his face covered up. But Matsuda mentioned the name `Watari' while he was dying.”
“No. It can't be.”
“That's what he said.”
“But Rem killed him. He couldn't have survived the Death Note. Unless…”
“Unless what?”
“I think I know what he did. But I have to check that myself. I'll go pay him a visit.”
“Do you want me to come with you?”
“No. You stay here and take care of the Legacy.”
“Ok.”
Light was now heading towards the presumed `Watari's' current residence. He still couldn't believe that he was alive until he saw it with his own eyes. The fact that Watari is still a living being would only bring trouble in Light's plans, especially if he had his face covered all the time. Then he couldn't get rid of him.
<< So he still has his face covered. >>
Light was now in the same room as Watari. He pulled out his Death Note and touched him with it on his right shoulder.
“Oh? Light. It's been a long time, hasn't it?”
“So it really is you.”
“Well of course, what did you think?”
“I just wanted to make sure. So? How did you do it? How did you escape Rem's Death Note?”
“That? It was easy. I escaped before we even took the death god in our headquarters. As soon as I've seen it, I knew that L would bring it inside. So I've put a replacement in my place and he stood besides L until he died.”
“So why didn't you replace Ryuzaki too?”
“Because there's no one that can act like him or that is as smart as he was.”
“And I would've realized that he was a fake.”
“Yes. Since I was the only one that has survived, I have been working with Near since the moment L died. He was, indeed, smarter than L, but if it weren't for me, did you really think he would get that easily members from FBI and CIA to help him? I was the one that provided him with funds and all the necessary items as well. I may be old, but during the time I've served Ryuzaki and Near I've learned a lot from them, and I think of myself as being prepared to face you and your filthy Legacy.”
“You're such an ignorant fool. As long as you don't find a way to kill me, which of course doesn't exist, there is no way you can stop my work from being completed.”
“Light, bad people will always appear no matter what you do.”
“Then I'll just continue killing them. Humans are actually grateful for me taking revenge on their behalf.”
“No. They're just afraid to admit that you are evil and you are supposed to disappear from our lives.”
“Evil? Yes. But a necessary evil.”
“There is no such thing as a necessary evil.”
“Of course there is. You're looking at it. I really do pity you, Ryuzaki, Near and all the others that have opposed me until now. Can't you see that you all failed?”
“I'm still here, aren't I? And you can't kill me, can you? Even if you're a death god. As far as I'm concerned, the war is not over yet.”
“Oh come on. I've eliminate both L and Near. It's just a matter of time until you disappear, as well.”
“Very well. I will be waiting for you. I'm curious about what you have in mind for me. So? What do you intend to do now? You can't kill me as long as you don't see my face.”
“True. But you can't get rid of me either since I'm a death god.”
“True as well. It looks like we'll just have to live with each other.”
“Not if I have something to say about this.”
“Oh? And what could you possibly do?”
“I have several ideas of my own. Firstly, I'll have to get rid of your spy.”
“So you know about him too? You're indeed as smart as Ryuzaki was.”
“Of course I am. That's why I will succeed in eliminating you.”
“We'll see about that.”
“Of course we will.”
“So, see you later then.”
“Of course you will.”
And Light took off already having an ingenious plan to get rid of Watari. All he needed first was to eliminate the obstacle from his own Legacy.