Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Death Note : Rebirth ❯ Empty ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER 7
 
EMPTY
 
Almost one day has passed since Light disposed of Watari's spy. Things were actually going better and faster with the replacement for Tadao that Genshi found. He was writing more names than any other member of the Legacy and he could find the most important criminals currently existing on the face of the Earth.
Everything was going almost perfect, but only until this end of the second half's shift.
“Light.”
“What is it, Genshi?”
“I think we might have a problem.”
“What's wrong?”
“Well, how should I put it . . . there are no more criminals left.”
“What? Already? It went faster than I thought it would.”
“What should we do now, Light?”
For the first time in his entire life - and death - Light had absolutely no idea about what he should do. He was completely clueless and was able to tell Genshi only one word.
“Wait.”
“Huh?”
“Wait for a couple of weeks and see whether there will appear any more criminals or not. If they do, I'll start supplying you with Death Notes.”
“And if not?”
“If not, then . . . I suggest you resume your normal job and your normal day to day life.”
“What? This is it? Is this really the end of Kira's Legacy?”
“It seems so . . .”
“No more fighting against crime?”
“No more fighting.”
“Isn't there-“
“No there isn't. Just quit it. You'll just have to live with the idea that there are no more criminals left in this world.”
“But I can't. I'm a cop.”
“Then quit your job.”
“But I like my job.”
“What's the point in being a cop if you don't have anyone to catch?”
“You're right, but-“
“I had enough of this. It's time for me to leave this world.”
“But-“
“No `but'!”
“Alright . . . I understand . . .”
“Good. Then go explain it to the others as well.”
“Ok.”
Genshi followed quietly Light's orders and explained to the other members the situation they were in. They, too, remained disappointed by his decision.
“Ryuk.”
“Huh?”
“It's time to leave.”
“Already?”
“Yes.”
“Damn it. It will be boring . . .”
“What are you talking about, Ryuk? You will witness my ruling over the death god realm. It's time for us to build a civilization there as well. I took care of the human world as an unfinished business from when I was a human. But now I am a death god and I have to arrange a perfect world for my fellow brothers to live in”
“Oh? I wasn't expecting this. Interesting.” said Ryuk with a big grin on his face.
“Let's go.”
“Alright.”
Light took Ryuk and went outside the Police Department building. He raised his hand pointing towards thin air and after a short moment, the tunnel heading towards the death god realm opened while making rumbling and cracking sounds.
“I missed this.”
“Me too.”
After that, they both retreated quietly inside the tunnel.