Death Note Fan Fiction ❯ Selfish ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Selfish
Author: Shadow/Phantomness
Pairing: Light/Mikami and L/Light
Rating: PG
Disclaimer: Death Note belongs to Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata. This non-profit, non-copyright infringing fanfiction belongs to me under international copyright laws and taking it is plagiarism. Don't steal and don't sue. Thank you *Phantomness bows*
Warnings: AU, Crack, Shonen-ai and Character Death
 
His older brother has everything, gets everything. He's been living in his shadow for sixteen years and he's sick, dead sick of it. His parents, his relatives, the teachers - they all think he's so wonderful, Lawliet, L, the eccentric genius, the great detective, the wonderful, perfect older brother.
Mikami is a good child. He tries not to be too jealous, and accepts his lot in life, knowing he'll never, ever be as good as L - it just isn't possible. But when he sees L kissing Yagami Light, who is one year older than him and he's been crushing on him for six months and L knew about it, the bastard, well, something in Mikami snaps.
That night, he digs out the battered black book he found on the steps of the school two years ago, and his eyes are red by the time he's finished penciling the name, though he's not sure if it's in rage, or despair, or even a little bit of guilt.
And when Light tells him the news the next day, hands shaking, he hugs him tight and doesn't let go, and Light accepts the comfort, without knowing how poisonous it truly is.
 
End Fic
Completed 6/15/07
… Because Mikami worships Light, and I can see him as a jealous little brother, and it's all Roxanne de Winter's fault for pointing out that Mikami's absent father could be related to L.