Demon Diary Fan Fiction ❯ Didn't Mean It ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter One
 
“Eclipse?”
 
“Yes, my lord?”
 
“I don't get it.”
 
Eclipse sighed. “Perhaps we should stop lessons for the day, my lord. Why don't we go eat something?”
 
Raenef's bright blue eyes lit up. “Ok!” he said, and happily transported to the kitchen.
 
A small smile flickered across Eclipse's face. It's so easy to make him happy, he thought to himself. Whispering, “Go,” he followed his young master to the kitchen.
 
~ ~ ~
 
Later on, after dinner, the two demons were sitting in the library, each reading a book. Raenef was actually enjoying his for once, and, ironically, Eclipse was so bored that he was nodding off. Raenef, looking up from his book, giggled when he realized his teacher had fallen asleep in his armchair. Raenef set down his book and went over to poke Eclipse in the head and tell him to go to bed. He gently prodded his teacher in the forehead. Eclipse just shifted positions and continued to sleep. Raenef poked him harder, and was surprised to hear Eclipse mutter, “Please, someone just…save me.” Then Eclipse slowly opened his eyes and saw Raenef staring at him.
 
“Eclipse? Save you from what?”
 
The raven-haired demon quickly sat up and said, “It's nothing. Don't worry about it.” He transported to his room without another word, leaving a confused Raenef behind.
 
What was that all about? thought Raenef. He decided to follow his teacher to find out what was on his mind.
 
“Eclipse?” Raenef said, knocking on his door. He thought it would be more polite of him to not barge into the room. “Can I come in?”
 
Inside, Eclipse was sitting on his bed, trying to calm himself down. It had been a long time since he had dreamt of that. He didn't want Raenef to know about it; his master was too kind-hearted and happy to be troubled with such things. However, Eclipse's training didn't permit him to ignore Raenef, so he called out, “I cannot deny your wishes, my lord.”
 
Raenef decided that that meant he could come in, and slipped through the heavy oak door. “Um, Eclipse? Are you okay? What were you talking about in the library?”
 
Eclipse took a deep breath. “As I said before, my lord, don't concern yourself with it. It was nothing.”
 
Raenef flopped on the bed next to Eclipse. “Aw, c'mon, why don't you just tell me?”
 
Eclipse stiffened as he felt Raenef's hand begin to play with his long black hair. “My lord, if you truly desire it, then I will tell you, but I'm not in the habit of sharing my problems with others.”
 
Raenef frowned. “Why's that?”
 
“I suppose it's just how I am, my lord.”
 
“Well, you shouldn't be,” said Raenef decisively. He continued to twirl strands of Eclipse's hair between his fingers, thinking to himself, Wow, it's so soft.
 
“So they tell me, my lord.” Raenef started, then realized that Eclipse wasn't reading his thoughts, just responding to his comment.
 
“So why don't you tell me?”
 
“Well, as I said before-“
 
“No,” Raenef interrupted, “I don't want you to tell me just because I ask you to. I want you to tell me because you want to.”
 
“Well, in that case, you'll have to let this subject drop, my lord, because there's nothing that could make me tell you.”
 
Raenef sat up, and looked Eclipse in the eye. “Would you tell me if I… sang you a song?”
 
Eclipse winced, and said, “No, demon lords do not sing.”
 
With a giggle, Raenef said, “Alright, alright. How about if I…”
 
“No, my lord.”
 
Raenef pouted. “I didn't even say anything yet.”
 
“As I said before, there's nothing you could do to convince me to tell you.”
 
“Really? Nothing at all?”
 
“No, nothing, my lord.”
 
Raenef grinned. “There has to be something I could do to get you to tell me.” Eclipse shook his head.
 
“Oh, yeah right,” Raenef argued. “If I would do anything in the whole world that you asked in exchange for you telling me what you were talking about earlier, what would you have me do?”
 
Eclipse looked at Raenef and fought to keep his expression of indifference from changing. Anything… oh my.
 
“There's nothing, my lord.”
 
“There has to be! Come on, now, anything.”
 
With a sigh, Eclipse responded, “You would never do anything anyway, so this question doesn't really matter.”
 
“Just pretend, Eclipse! If I would do anything. Think about it!”
 
“Demons do not pretend, my lord.”
 
Raenef rolled his eyes. “How about this. If you tell me what you would have me do, I'll stop asking you why you wanted to be saved. Deal?” In Raenef's mind, this was fair. The only reason he had pursued his earlier question was because he truly wanted to know what Eclipse was thinking about. However, Raenef knew that it was very likely that Eclipse had a painful memory that he didn't like to discuss. So, if he just convinced Eclipse to answer this question, they would both be happy. Raenef would learn something about Eclipse, and Eclipse wouldn't have to revisit his past. All I want is to truly know you, Eclipse. Don't you see that?
 
Eclipse, however, would never tell Raenef exactly what he would have him do. To do so would, he was sure, scare him away from Eclipse forever. Besides, since Eclipse wasn't reading Raenef's thoughts, he didn't realize Raenef's real reason behind asking him such a question. He assumed that Raenef was just bored, and didn't realize what he was asking of Eclipse. So, in his mind, Eclipse couldn't bring himself to agree to Raenef's deal.
 
“No, my lord,” said Eclipse sternly.
 
“Aw, please?” Raenef said with a sweet smile on his face.
 
No, my lord. I'm serious now, stop asking me such things.”
 
Taken aback, Raenef frowned. He decided to try just once more. He couldn't give up so easily if he ever wanted to know Eclipse better.
 
“Anything in the-”
 
“NO, Raenef! I will not answer your question!”
 
Raenef blinked unhappily. He had blown it; he had pushed Eclipse too hard to do something he didn't want to do. Raenef mentally smacked himself, but pouted all the same. Why didn't Eclipse trust him? He just wanted to know him better. To Raenef, it was pretty obvious what his motives were.
 
“You know, Eclipse, there's a song that has an incredibly appropriate line for right now.”
 
Eclipse turned to meet Raenef's eyes, waiting for him to continue.
 
Remembering Eclipse's earlier comment, Raenef said, rather then sang, “I cry out with no reply,” and trailed off.
 
“I apologize, my lord.” Eclipse meant it, too. He didn't like to cause Raenef any grief, but he wasn't in the mood for his silly, hypothetical questions.
 
“Don't bother to apologize if you aren't sorry.” Raenef was a little surprised at his own harsh tone, but he didn't take back what he had said. He just dropped his eyes and looked at his hands in his lap, trying to hold back tears.
 
“But, I am sorry, my lord. I'm sorry that I'm not able to tell you what you want to know.” Eclipse was worried now. He didn't think that his refusal to answer Raenef's question would affect him so much.
 
“Yeah, okay.”
 
Thinking that Raenef was just upset that Eclipse wouldn't say why he had wanted to be saved, and not considering that Raenef had seriously wanted his second question answered, Eclipse said, “Really, my lord, I would tell you if I could. I can't bring myself to, though.”
 
“You could, if you really wanted to. I know you could, so don't say that.” And that was what hurt Raenef the most. Eclipse didn't want to tell Raenef about himself, which probably meant that he didn't trust him completely. But then, Raenef thought, I've never been too good at earning people's trust. I always push the issue too hard. He was thinking of something that had happened when he was still a thief, and almost missed Eclipse's response.
 
“Well, I'll tell you someday. I don't know when, but someday I'll gain the courage to tell you.” Eclipse meant it, too. He didn't want Raenef to be upset, and he was willing to think it over and find a way to tell him.
 
“Forget it. If you don't want to tell me, then don't.” Without looking at Eclipse, Raenef transported away. Landing on his soft bed, Raenef curled up into a ball and began to cry. I didn't mean it! I didn't mean to say that, Eclipse. It just hurts so badly that you don't trust me enough. Can't you tell me anything? Can't you let me in just once? After a while, Raenef finally fell asleep, tears still on his pale cheeks.