Demon Diary Fan Fiction ❯ Didn't Mean It ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Demon Diary.
 
Chapter Two
 
The next morning, Raenef awoke with the same smile he usually wore, only to remember his argument with Eclipse the previous day. With a soft groan, he put his head in his hands and tried to think of a way to apologize. I'm such an idiot. Why'd I have to say that? Maybe if I just talk to him, and tell him why I got upset, he'll understand.
 
With that thought in mind, Raenef got out of bed and dressed himself. Then, saying, “Go,” he transported himself outside of Eclipse's room.
 
It's just like last night, he thought, but still knocked gently on Eclipse's door as he had done before. This time, however, there was no response. Assuming that Eclipse was still asleep, Raenef quietly pushed open the door and went inside. Eclipse's bed was empty, and the blankets didn't look as if they had been slept in that night. That's funny. Where could he have gone?
 
Raenef wandered the halls, looking for Eclipse. He checked the kitchen, the library, the garden, and every spare room he came across. Finally, he found the dark-haired demon in a dusty, seldom-used room that he had never been in before. When Raenef first entered, Eclipse didn't notice that he was there. He was just sitting in a chair with his head resting on his right hand. He was so still that Raenef thought at first that he was asleep.
 
“Eclipse?” he said quietly, not wanting to startle him.
 
Eclipse jumped anyway, looking sharply up at the young demon lord before him. Raenef's silky blonde hair was down for once, and it tumbled softly around his shoulders, framing his innocent face. “Yes, my lord?”
 
“What are you doing in here? It's so… dusty. And damp. You might get sick. So, why don't we… go have breakfast or something?” Raenef realized that he sounded lame, and he mentally smacked himself for not having the guts to bring up their argument the previous night.
 
Eclipse stared at him for a moment, trying to process his words. Finally, he said, “I am sitting here because I bring nothing but pain to others. You may dine without me if you find my presence to be a burden, my lord.”
 
Raenef felt as though something had just torn at his heart. Eclipse sounded so unlike himself. He was voice was low and emotionless, and was lacking that smooth quality that Raenef so loved. Was this his fault? Had it been his words that had done this to Eclipse? No, Raenef decided. This seems like a problem that's been going on for a long time. I probably just caused some bad memories to resurface.
 
Raenef slowly walked over to where Eclipse was sitting and seated himself at Eclipse's feet, peering up into his dark eyes. “You're not a burden. You'll never be a burden. Okay?”
 
With a sigh, Eclipse said softly, “I know. I didn't mean it. I just feel… troubled.”
 
With concern in his eyes, Raenef asked, “About what?”
 
“I do not wish to repeat last night's argument, Lord Raenef.”
 
It was Raenef's turn to sigh. “Alright then. I had no right to get annoyed last night anyway. I was just so frustrated that you didn't want to tell me. But then,” he continued, with an emotionless chuckle, “I've never been good at convincing people to trust me.”
 
Eclipse looked at his master with concern, but didn't ask what was on his mind. He sensed that it was a painful memory, and that Raenef wouldn't wish to discuss it. Especially after the way Eclipse had acted the previous night. “My lord,” he started slowly, hoping that what he was going to say would help to make things better between them, “I meant what I said last night. About telling you, I mean. I've been sitting here, trying to find a way to convince myself that you…” Eclipse trailed off, not knowing how to finish what he had begun to say.
 
Raenef, however, wasn't going to let it go. “What? That I would what?”
 
Eclipse averted his eyes as he said, “That you would actually care about what I had to say, I suppose.”
 
Raenef felt that sharp pain in his heart again. All this time together, and Eclipse still hadn't realized how Raenef felt? How much he cared for him? “Eclipse, of course I care. How could I not? I…” Raenef stopped himself quickly, a little surprised at what he had been about to say. Seeing that Eclipse was looking at him curiously, he mumbled, “Well, you know, you're my friend and all, and you're all I have to talk to since Chris and Erutis left, so you know, I'd like to know you a little better, and… yeah.” Man, I sound so pathetic.
 
“Do you mean that? That you want to know me better, I mean?”
 
“Well, yeah.” Raenef said, a light blush dusting his cheeks.
 
Eclipse blinked a couple of times, and said, “No one has ever said that to me before, Raenef.”
 
Did he just call me Raenef? With no “lord” or “master” or anything? He really must be surprised, then. Raenef smiled brightly and stood up. “Come on. Let's go eat something.”
 
Eclipse smiled at him, not a particularly bright or beautiful smile, but a happy one. “Of course, my lord.”
 
Once they had arrived in the kitchen, Raenef seated himself at a small wooden table while Eclipse began to prepare a meal. The scent of scrambled eggs and bacon wafted gently through the small room, and soon Eclipse was seated before Raenef, each with a plate of food in front of them. Eclipse watched in horror as Raenef covered his eggs in ketchup, and hungrily shoveled them into his mouth. “My lord…” he began, but when Raenef looked up at him, spots of red ketchup spotting his face, he couldn't bring himself to reprimand him. “Um, never mind.”
 
“Hey, Eclipse, want to play a game after this?”
 
“What sort of game, my lord?”
 
Raenef wiped his mouth on his sleeve, causing Eclipse to wince. “It's sort of a stupid idea, but I think it might be fun. See, we could play truth or dare, except without the dare part.”
 
“I'm not sure that I understand what you mean, my lord.”
 
“Well, we could ask each other questions, and promise to answer honestly. Unless, of course,” he added hurriedly, “it's a really personal question, and you feel uncomfortable answering it. It could be, you know, a way to get to know each other better.”
 
“I see. Alright then, my lord, I'll play this game with you.”
 
Raenef's face brightened, and he quickly finished his meal, thinking of what questions he would ask Eclipse.