Demon Diary Fan Fiction ❯ Diplomacy ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Three months previously…
 
The letter was delivered by a kreel, a wyrm-like creature with tiny wings and a ferocious temper disproportionate to its size. It materialised out of the air one morning and hovered over the table set out on the balcony, shrieking to attract their attention.
 
Raenef had been staring blankly at yet another book of lore, his sighs stirring his long fringe. Eclipse leant against the balustrade nearby, pretending to ignore his master's obvious boredom. It was rapidly becoming a trial for them both, and so the appearance of the kreel was a welcome one.
 
“Eclipse! What is that thing?” Raenef rocked back in his chair, startled by the creature's sudden arrival. His cry caused the kreel to backwing inelegantly, and it dropped down onto the table to land in a plate of sugar-cakes.
 
Eclipse was not best pleased to see last night's baking efforts go to waste on a wyrm. The cakes were a blatant bribe for Raenef to finish the chapter on demon hierarchy in the sixth century, a time when much of the standard demon lore had been gathered and ratified. Somehow the sight of a glistening mountain of golden and white spun crystals filled with sweetmeats wasn't as appealing when a kreel was thrashing around on top of it.
 
The kreel freed itself from the mass of confection. It rolled across the table like an ouroboros; then spat out a tiny puff of smoke as it took the end of its tail from its mouth.
 
“You don't recognise this animal, Master Raenef?” Eclipse allowed a sigh of his own to creep into his voice. “We covered bestiaries, flora and fauna three years ago… although I recall you were more interested in pictures of flowers than in the creatures of darkness who owe their allegiance to you.”
 
Raenef smiled. “Oh, yes, I remember the flowers!”
 
Eclipse brushed back a strand of hair and came towards the table. He held out his hand to the kreel, which looked with some disdain between master and servant.
 
Demon Lord Raenef V? it said, or rather, thought at him.
 
Eclipse stifled another sigh and pointed it in the right direction. “Over there,” he said. He took the opportunity to remind his lord what manner of beast stood in front of them. “This is a kreel. An animal found only in the extreme north-east of the country and domesticated - if that is indeed the correct word for it - by the elves.”
 
Raenef's puzzled expression cleared in an instant. “Yes, I remember now! The cute little elf messengers!”
 
Although the kreel seemed as taken aback by this description as Eclipse, the demon was pleased to see that it continued with its mission. Raising itself onto its back legs, it flapped its miniscule wings for balance and struck an impressive pose.
 
Demon Lord Raenef V, I bring you greetings from Ophion, King of the Elves, it announced in an overly loud thought. Eclipse watched Raenef wince, and he gestured to the kreel to turn it down a little.
 
The kreel nodded and tried again, quieter this time. Being desirous of improved relations between our peoples, I extend to you on behalf of King Ophion an invitation. His Majesty requests - nay, implores - that you attend a meeting with himself and the High Elvin Court. At this meeting you will learn things to your advantage, things that will raise your power and your profile immeasurably: not just amongst the demon lords but amongst all creatures and races of our world…
 
Eclipse narrowed his eyes and stared hard at the kreel, trying to penetrate its tiny brain for any traces of irony. But there was nothing: hardly surprising, for kreels were on the whole simple-minded beasts that could concentrate on one message at a time. There was no room in their heads for deeper knowledge, which made them the perfect messengers. Kreels asked no questions and knew no answers; and if the message they delivered was not to the recipient's taste, then they were ultimately expendable.
 
He focused again on what the creature was saying, conscious of Raenef's expression. His lord seemed impressed by the message and its form of delivery. Eclipse couldn't help but think that this was a bad thing.
 
O great Demon Lord Raenef V, my king respectfully begs that you agree to this momentous meeting. Not for nearly two hundred years has an elf sought an audience with a demon lord…
 
Eclipse couldn't stop himself. “Why does Ophion want to meet Raenef?”
 
The kreel snorted another puff of smoke, annoyed at the interruption. How should I know? Let me get on with my job, please. Where was I? Ah, yes - two hundred years, audience with a demon lord… Therefore, the kreel continued, King Ophion invites you to the Forest of Elves as soon as may be convenient to you, and he will summon the High Elvin Council.
 
The kreel bowed to indicate that it had finished its speech, and then it added, You may use me to send your reply to the king, when you're ready.
 
Raenef was silent for a moment, and then he looked up, his gaze uncertain.
 
Anticipating the question, Eclipse asked, “Yes, master?”
 
“What should I do?”
 
Eclipse grimaced. It wasn't right that they should have a politically sensitive discussion in front of a kreel. Although they were loyal to the elves, kreels had a tendency to be loose-tongued after a few drops of nectar.
 
“I think the kreel should join our Crusaders,” Eclipse said. “Let him rest and feed a while, so he will be ready to take your message to the elves.”
 
The kreel arched its neck to look at him with interest. The servant dictates to the master? How fascinating.
 
“Eclipse is my most trusted advisor,” Raenef said stiffly. “You will accord him the same respect as me while you are here.”
 
Eclipse? The kreel's triple-lidded eyes opened wide, glowing orange with alarm, and its tail flicked nervously. I did not realise - I was not told… Forgive my impudence…
 
Raenef huffed and waved his hand dismissively. “Join the Crusaders. Go.”
 
The kreel vanished.
 
“Now you may tell me what to do.”
 
Eclipse laid a finger on the open pages of the book, marking their place, and then he closed it. “Not here. Let us go inside, where we may be assured of silence and a little more privacy. Kreels have very good hearing.”
 
He tucked the book under his arm and led the way through the colonnaded corridors to the library. Eclipse held open the door for his lord, casting a sealing-spell as soon as they were both inside. He would take no risks with this discussion. For the king of the elves to approach a demon lord was unthinkable. If there was really something to be gained from such a union, Ophion would be better contacting Aureleid, the most senior of the demon lords. Why would he choose the young and relatively untried Raenef?
 
“Eclipse? What should I do?”
 
When he saw that Raenef was looking at him expectantly, Eclipse put the book on the shelf, keeping his vexation in check.
 
“My lord, you should not defer to me so openly in public,” he began. “We have discussed this many times. I am not your equal in power or social standing…”
 
“But you are my teacher and advisor,” Raenef interrupted, his mouth set in a stubborn line. “That makes you worthy of respect. Besides, you are the fourth-ranking demon in existence, and your reputation…”
 
“My reputation is nothing compared to yours.” Eclipse came close and set his hands on his lord's shoulders. He felt a tremor run through the slender body beneath his touch, and assumed that Raenef was annoyed with this old argument. He let go, and heard him sigh.
 
“Please, Master Raenef - you are nineteen now,” Eclipse said. “I have served you for four years. You are fully aware of your powers, even if you haven't yet learned how to harness them completely. You have the gifts and abilities of the previous Raenef demon lords, and you will outlive them all, I am certain of it. The only thing necessary is that you continue your studies.”
 
“But that's boring,” Raenef complained.
 
“But necessary.” Eclipse let his voice take on an edge, and then he smiled, seeing the chance for revision. “This invitation from the elves, for example. What do we know of the elves?”
 
Raenef flopped down into a wingchair and stared at the wall of books in front of him. Curling a strand of hair around a finger, he recited as if reading from an encyclopaedia: “They live in the great north-eastern forest. Much of their wealth comes from the timber trade. They were granted the rights to manage the forests and care for the dryads and other woodland Fae. Some humans consider this unfair, and in the past have demanded the right to cut down any tree in any forest, whether it be in the dominion of the elves or not. There was a war about this in… a long time ago…”
 
“Five hundred years ago,” Eclipse corrected. “The Timber War! And who ended this war?”
 
Raenef rolled his eyes. “The clerics of Rased. I remember that one, because Chris used to go on about it all the time. He got upset when I asked him if that was the last greatest thing the clerics had ever done.”
 
Eclipse nodded. “It was, although they were not popular with the rest of the humans for several years afterwards. For some reason, the clerics sided with the elves. The Treaty of Lingeth stands to this day, giving the elves complete control over the timber trade, and the ability to fix prices as they please.”
 
“That doesn't seem fair.” Raenef puzzled over it for a moment, and then shrugged. “Thankfully the castle is made of stone, although the furniture is wooden… Did my predecessors deal with the elves when they wanted this furniture?”
 
Eclipse rubbed his forehead, unsurprised by the meandering thoughts of his master. “Er, no. Inasmuch as I can remember, the library was fitted out by Raenef II. He destroyed a weaker demon lord just to get his hands on the contents of his castle - including this furniture.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“Never mind. Let us return to what we know of the elves.”
 
Raenef gave a huge sigh and sank down further in his chair. “They have a hereditary royalty, drawn from the intermarriage of several elf-tribes. They're supposed to be gentle people, but some humans in the borderlands disagree, and…”
 
“They're vicious enemies,” Eclipse put in, softly.
 
“They… what?” Raenef sat up, the lesson forgotten, and stared at him. “They are? How do you know? Did you fight against the elves?”
 
“I've fought with almost everything that lives on the face of the earth,” Eclipse said, forcing a rueful smile. “And also the creatures that live beneath the earth and that swim in the seas… You know my past, Master Raenef. It is not pretty, and I have never hidden it from you.”
 
“And yet you have never really told me about the things you've done.”
 
“It has no relevance to our relationship.”
 
Raenef held his gaze. “You always said I was too young to understand,” he said, lifting his chin with a hint of command. “Well, perhaps now I am not too young. Perhaps I want to know of your history.”
 
Eclipse did not want this conversation to continue. He looked away with barely concealed impatience. “Let us discuss the invitation from King Ophion.”
 
Raenef wriggled around in the chair to stare at his servant again. “Changing the subject, Eclipse? That's not like you.”
 
“I do not wish to talk about my past. It has no bearing upon anything, save perhaps for one minor point in this current situation.”
 
“Oh, really,” Raenef said smoothly. “What is it?”
 
Eclipse tugged at the gold earring of the crescent moon that dangled from his right ear. For the first time he felt uncomfortable before his lord. He became aware of his fidgeting and stopped before he replied, “The elves have a bounty on my head.”
 
A silence fell, so deep that Eclipse resumed fiddling with his earring. The gold hoop chafed at his ear until he let go with a snort of annoyance for his weakness. He had no need to feel ashamed of what he'd done. Everything in his past had happened for a reason. A demon did not need to explain himself - not even to his lord…
 
“What did you do to make them hate you?”
 
The question was soft. Eclipse looked at Raenef. Without any emotion, he said, “I killed their previous king, along with most of the court members and the High Elvin Council who'd remained with him during the Hangma War.”
 
Raenef stared at him. “The elves declared themselves neutral during the war.”
 
“They were not neutral. Elves are unpleasant, selfish creatures that work only for their own benefit. By declaring themselves neutral they were free to pick off whomever they pleased - demon, cleric, or god. No matter what their standing, if a combatant crossed into elf territory, or even wandered close to the border, they were seized, robbed of their wealth and power, and then killed.”
 
“You really don't like them.”
 
“No, my lord. I despise the elves.”
 
Another moment of silence, and then Raenef stood up, pushing back his chair. It scraped across the floor, almost tipping over, but he caught it before it fell. Folding his arms, Raenef moved towards the windows, away from the shadows, away from Eclipse.
 
“If you despise them, then you cannot give me unbiased advice.”
 
“No, my lord. But I can put aside my prejudices and offer you counsel. I dislike humans, and yet I dealt reasonably well with Erutis and Chris.”
 
“Dislike and despise are two different things.”
 
Eclipse had to own to the truth of that. He shrugged. “You can make your own decisions, Lord Raenef. You are old enough.”
 
His master gave him an uncertain, shy look. At other times, it was the kind of look that melted Eclipse, but this time he had to be strong. This business with the elves had been given to Raenef to decide on his own. Eclipse knew he should not interfere.
 
Raenef chewed at a nail. “What if… what if the elf-king seeks an audience with me because of you? What if he demands a blood-price for the previous king?”
 
“He should be grateful,” Eclipse snapped. “If it hadn't been for me, Ophion would still be a minor princeling. He was one hundred and fourteenth in line for the throne. Only by a miracle would he have become king, had I not intervened.”
 
“You really think he should be grateful?”
 
“No. I don't think he should feel anything towards me.” Eclipse lifted his hands, wishing - and not for the first time - that Raenef would stop taking his words so literally. He fixed his master with his most imposing gaze and said, “Your business with the elves is your concern, my lord. I beg you will excuse me from accompanying you, should you decide to travel to their forest. I may be the fourth most powerful demon in existence, but only a fool would go willingly into enemy territory - and may I remind you that elf-magic can be very hazardous to a demon's health.”
 
“What if I order you to come with me?” Raenef's eyes were wide.
 
“Then I would obey you, of course. But I would do so unhappily.”
 
His shoulders slumped. “I don't want to make you unhappy, Eclipse. But… I don't want to go to see the elves on my own.”
 
“Master Raenef, I believe King Ophion is testing you. The elves do not treat with demons unless there is very good reason for them to do so. I am not arrogant enough to imagine that I am the cause of this request for a meeting, so it would serve no purpose to take me with you. Indeed, it might work against you.”
 
“So you think I should go.”
 
“Only if you wish it. You do not owe them anything. Your lands do not border theirs, and you don't need any new furniture. And yet they seem to believe that you can help them, and that they can help you… I admit I am intrigued by this.”
 
Raenef nodded slowly. “If you were me…”
 
“But I am not, Master Raenef.” Eclipse paused, knowing he wanted the answer anyway. “Very well. If I were you, I would go. But I would be careful.”
 
“I'm always careful!”
 
Eclipse tried not to smile. “My lord, if you go, then you should study the art of diplomacy. That, more than anything else, will keep you safe. Not the Dark Arrow, or the Soul Scream, but simple diplomacy. It's about time you learned that aspect of your duties as a demon lord.”
 
“Diplomacy.” Raenef weighed the word. “It sounds boring.”
 
“It doesn't have to be. You'll see. You might even enjoy it. Your predecessor…” Eclipse lapsed into silence before he could say anything else.
 
Raenef gave him a puzzled glance. “My father…?” he prompted; but when he saw that Eclipse would say no more, he straightened his shoulders and dismissed the thought.
 
“Summon the messenger,” he said. “I will accept Ophion's invitation.”