Demon Diary Fan Fiction ❯ Diplomacy ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was a strange homecoming. Raenef slept for most of the following day, barely stirring whenever Eclipse ventured into his room to watch over him. Usually his master rolled back and forth across the expanse of the bed, tangling the sheets and knocking pillows and cushions to the floor. Usually he would feel Eclipse's presence on some unconscious level, and he would reach out to catch hold of his servant's long black hair, forcing Eclipse to remain by his side for long hours.
 
But the day after he returned from the elves, Raenef lay curled facing the window, the covers drawn tight over him, his chin tucked to his chest. Eclipse could see only the top of his head, and when he tried to draw down the sheet to look at his face, Raenef clutched the covers tighter.
 
Eclipse couldn't dismiss the feeling that his master was hiding from him. His concern blossomed into worry, and it was all he could do to keep from shaking Raenef awake and demanding to know what had happened in the forest.
 
He went for a walk in the garden, hoping to find distraction. A clump of brambles scratched at his ankles, and he spent a few hours tying back the prickly branches in case Raenef should venture the same way later. He supposed he could have used magic to shrivel the thorns, but Eclipse preferred to do the work with his own hands. The sharp rasp of the brambles over his skin reminded him of time passing, of pain and humanity, things that had never before concerned him.
 
When the sun had set and the breeze veered from the north-east, Eclipse got to his feet. His body felt stiff. While he was used to manual labour, it had been a while since he'd spent so long crouched in the same position. He stretched gently, feeling the ache of bunched muscles. He had leaves and dust in the trailing ends of his hair. He had not thought to tie it up as he worked.
 
Eclipse went into the castle. He needed to bathe, but first he would check on his lord. To his surprise, when he reached the top of the staircase, he found the door to Raenef's room wide open. His master was not inside; the sheets had been kicked back and his nightshirt lay at the foot of the bed.
 
It did not take long to find him. The castle was large, but cold. It was simple enough to find the heart that beat inside it. Raenef was the only warmth in the fortress, and Eclipse was drawn to him through empty corridors and echoing halls. He followed his presence up the stairs in the old tower, and finally tracked him down to a tiny sitting room that in the time of Raenef II had been used by the lord's seamstress.
 
Raenef was curled into a wingchair, a blanket wrapped around him. He did not look up as Eclipse entered the room, but continued to stare at the flames that danced, low and subtle, in the fireplace.
 
Eclipse closed the door quietly behind him, and then he sat down on a footstool, away from the heat of the fire. He placed his hands on his knees and looked at them, at the faint red scratches of the brambles. He moved his arms so that his sleeves slid down to cover the damage.
 
Raenef gave no sign of acknowledging him. Eclipse did not know what to say to break the silence between them, and so he said nothing. He had never felt so helpless before. He was known everywhere as a wise and noble demon, and yet since Raenef V had come into his life, he had felt himself altered. He'd tried to adapt himself, but this new shift in the balance of their relationship unnerved him.
 
Suddenly, Raenef spoke.
 
“You told me once that you despised the elves.”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Or is it that you're afraid of them?”
 
Eclipse paused. “Master Raenef, what happened? Since you came back, you seem… different.”
 
“I feel different,” Raenef said, his lips curving in a small smile. “I always thought nothing would change. That my life would stay on one course, that I'd be happy and safe… but that isn't the way of a demon lord, is it?”
 
“No, master. It isn't.”
 
Raenef lowered his head and played with a loose thread on the blanket. He refused to look in his servant's direction.
 
“It's not your fault, Eclipse. You told me plenty of times that things would be different one day. But even when Chris and Erutis moved out, I still felt safe - because of you.”
 
“I will always keep you safe, my lord.”
 
“But you can't.” Raenef's voice cracked. His hands stilled on the blanket.
 
Eclipse sat forwards, alarmed and angry. “What did the elves do to you?”
 
“Nothing.” Raenef put a hand to his head, a weary gesture. He tried another smile. “Truly, Eclipse - they didn't hurt me. They gave me all the respect I could wish for. They listened to me as if I were an equal. An adult. A true demon lord.”
 
“You are a true demon lord.”
 
The hand dropped, and Raenef met Eclipse's gaze. His green eyes were veiled with layers of an emotion the demon couldn't understand.
 
“But I am not the equal of a king. I am not really an adult yet.”
 
Eclipse thought about this. “You think I have been too gentle with you.”
 
“I think that, sometimes, you have not been truthful with me.”
 
Confused, Eclipse said, “I have never lied to you, Master Raenef.”
 
His lord closed his eyes and shook his head. “That is not what I meant.”
 
“Then I… I don't understand.”
 
Raenef did nothing to illuminate him. They sat in an ever-deepening silence until a branch in the fire cracked, sending up a brief shower of sparks. The sound made Eclipse jump, and Raenef sighed.
 
“I should tell you what we discussed.” Raenef settled into his chair, resting his head against the winged seatback. “There's a renegade tribe of elves roaming the northern coast. They speak a different language, but they seem to understand what the forest elves say to them. They're much more violent, and have destroyed several villages and outposts. So far they seem to be causing trouble just for the fun of it. They seem to have no greater purpose in mind.”
 
“Elves never do anything without a reason. Even renegade elves,” Eclipse said wryly. “What does the king say about this?”
 
“Ophion doesn't know where they came from, but the court historian believes that they are the descendants of the original Elvin royal family.”
 
“I have heard of these elves,” Eclipse said, frowning as he tried to remember the details of the ancient story. “Centuries ago, the heir to the throne was accused of high treason. I think his name was Gelanor…”
 
Raenef nodded. “Yes. Gelanor. That's the one.”
 
“If this is the same story, then rather than execute his favourite son, the king exiled him from the lands of the elves. Gelanor's enemies sent assassins after him, but they could not find him. Eventually it was reported that the prince was dead.”
 
“But he wasn't,” Raenef interrupted, taking up the tale. “He sent a message to his father saying he would not return home again even though he had proof of his innocence. He said that he'd found a new land, and that he and his loyal followers who'd gone with him into exile were happy to build a new life for themselves there.”
 
Raenef paused, looking up at Eclipse with the first real flicker of interest he'd shown since he returned. “Is it true there's a land beyond the Northern Ocean?”
 
“Yes.” Eclipse held his gaze. “I went there once, a long time ago.”
 
“What's it like?”
 
He'd tried to forget the place: a hell of mist-shrouded jungle and deep, sucking red mud, where the rivers ran salty for miles inland and enormous insects nipped at every inch of exposed flesh. His powers there were greatly diminished, but neither he nor his master, the last Demon Lord Llath, had been able to discover why the new land made them so weak.
 
“It's wet,” he said at last, realising that Raenef was waiting for an answer.
 
“Wet?”
 
Eclipse closed his eyes, unwilling to discuss the topic further. When he opened them again, he saw Raenef looking at him with something akin to sympathy. He wondered if Ophion had told Raenef more than he'd let on. Only very few of the elves had known about the disastrous journey of Demon Lord Llath, for it was at the request of the previous king that they'd gone, and Eclipse had made certain that none of those elves had survived the Hangma War.
 
Unless he'd made a mistake, and someone had talked
 
“We were speaking of Gelanor, my lord,” he said quietly. “So, King Ophion has reason to believe that these renegade elves on the coast are his descendants. It is quite likely that they are - in which case, the throne belongs to them.”
 
“That's the problem,” Raenef said.
 
Eclipse sat up straight. “But it is not your problem, Master Raenef.”
 
“Not unless I choose to make it mine, no.”
 
He felt a worm of unease slide down his back. Keeping his voice neutral, he asked, “What did the elf-king offer you?”
 
Raenef gave him a look that managed to be both proud and uncertain. “Half of the timber rights for the next five hundred years.”
 
“You don't need wealth,” Eclipse said, hating himself for sounding so dismissive. The offer, if it was real, was extremely generous. He should be showering his master with praise rather than this easy condemnation.
 
Raenef smiled. “He said you'd say that. And he said I should reply, `It's not about wealth, it's about power.'”
 
Eclipse showed his teeth. “So you are willing to be his puppet?”
 
“Eclipse…”
 
He backed down immediately, hanging his head and letting out a breath to diffuse his anger. “I'm sorry, master. It's just… I wish I'd been with you.”
 
“But you weren't, and so I decided to help the elves.”
 
“My lord?” Eclipse gaped at him in astonishment. “Tell me you're joking.”
 
“No, I'm not.” Raenef stared at Eclipse, his face flushed with emotion, his voice tight. “I want to help them. I want to do something good.”
 
“Nothing good can come from dealing with the elves!”
 
“This is my decision, Eclipse.” His tone was firm, his gaze unwavering.
 
Eclipse couldn't bring himself to murmur an agreement, not even when Raenef stared him down, waiting for it.
 
“It's not just the timber rights,” his lord said. “Ophion also promised me full access to the magical knowledge of the new world elves.”
 
Eclipse gave him a sharp look. “What?”
 
“They use a different kind of magic. Not one based on thoughts or incantations. That's why Ophion asked for my help. His best mages can't defeat this new elf magic. He says only a demon lord can overcome it.”
 
“He wants to make you a sacrifice to his ambitions.”
 
“I agreed, Eclipse. I gave my word. I will not break my promise!” Raenef's eyes sparked; but then his haughty tone dissolved as he gave the demon a plaintive look of appeal. “Besides, you will help me. King Ophion told me you would know what to do, since you'd been to the new world and felt its magic for yourself.”
 
“He doesn't know what he's talking about.”
 
“He is willing to offer you a full pardon and cancel all the bounties on your head. Eclipse, there are more than a hundred families who claim a blood feud with you! With one word, the debt will be wiped clear. Ophion promised it!”
 
Silence fell once more. Eclipse couldn't take this all in. For the elves to offer up their timber rights was one thing, but to cancel so many blood-debts? Elves were proud creatures, as implacable as a northern winter. Feuds lasted not just for generations but for all time, until they were settled in full. Ophion must be desperate indeed if he was willing to erase Eclipse's crimes against his people.
 
He glanced up as Raenef started to speak again. This time his master's voice was faltering and hesitant.
 
“I - I agreed to fight against the renegade elves because of you. I know you despise their kind, so I knew you would never go along with what they said. But I wanted to do it to - to keep you safe. Elvin assassins are very good, you know.”
 
Eclipse stared at him. “They're not that good.”
 
Raenef bit his lip and resumed fiddling with the loose thread on the blanket. “I can't take the risk. I can't lose you.”
 
“Master Raenef, I wish I'd gone with you.” Eclipse slid from the stool and knelt on the floor in front of his lord's chair. He reached up and took Raenef's hands, pressing them gently to make him listen and understand. “It's not your duty to care about me. I am just a servant.”
 
“You are not!” Raenef pulled his hands free. He stared down at Eclipse, his eyes wide as the words tumbled from him in a rush of desperation. “You are more than that. Much more.”
 
He came to a halt, his expression bewildered, as if he regretted what he'd said. With a sharp intake of breath, Raenef turned his head and squeezed his eyes shut. His brow furrowed, and his chin trembled slightly.
 
Eclipse shifted closer, hope flaring within him. “My lord?”
 
Raenef held up a hand, forbidding him to come any nearer. He did not speak again until Eclipse withdrew back to perch on the stool.
 
“There's something I must tell you,” he began. He moved awkwardly in the chair until he could face the demon, and then he fell silent again. He plucked at the blanket, pleating its edge idly for a few moments.
 
The piled branches in the fireplace collapsed with a rush of flame.
 
Eclipse wondered what Raenef wanted to say. To reassure him, he said, “Nothing you tell me will surprise me, my lord. Remember, I know the elves.”
 
Raenef's smile didn't quite reach his eyes. He drew the blanket higher over his knees and said, “Ophion gave me a companion, since you did not come with me. He said it was unthinkable that I should be alone. Truly, until he said that, I didn't realise how lonely I'd been without you. The journey was long, Eclipse. I - I should have asked you to come with me at least to the border…”
 
Eclipse interrupted with an exclamation for his own forgetfulness. “My lord, I'm sorry. I thought you would spell-cast yourself to the forest.”
 
“But I couldn't do that. I had never been there before.”
 
Eclipse looked away. He had failed in his duty, and he was ashamed. He should have accompanied Raenef to the wastelands before the forest, and he should have waited there for him to return. Instead he had set himself up in the role of the chatelaine, caring more for the outward manifestations of his lord's power than for the safety and comfort of his lord's person.
 
“Forgive me,” he said, turning his gaze back to his master.
 
Raenef looked sidelong into the fire. The light gilded his features, making him seem as if he were carved from fine wax. The hollows of his eyes and cheekbones were smudged with a shadow that crept and slid over his face. Eclipse thought he'd never seen his master look more beautiful, nor more miserable. He had to know what had happened to him amongst the elves. His ignorance was tearing him apart.
 
“The king gave me a prince as my companion,” Raenef said, his tone so flat Eclipse could barely recognise his voice. “Not an important prince, but he is twenty-third in line to the throne. His name is Tainaron, and he is Ophion's nephew.”
 
Eclipse felt his heart thud painfully. He waited, silent, to hear more.
 
Raenef gave him a single, accusing look. “You never told me that elves are beautiful.”
 
“You found this Tainaron beautiful?” Eclipse could taste the bile of jealousy on his tongue.
 
“Prince Tainaron,” Raenef corrected. “Yes, I did.”
 
He said it without emotion, as if they were discussing something far removed from their reality. Raenef could usually summon enthusiasm for almost anything. Even his dislikes were spoken of in strident terms. And yet he talked of Prince Tainaron without any show of feeling.
 
Eclipse sat forwards, his hands gripped tight together between his knees. He could feel himself shaking, afraid of asking the one question he wanted to hear answered. His mouth was dry; his voice died in his throat, forcing him to respond with only a tiny gasp.
 
Raenef continued. “Ophion told me that he had heard of my predilections.”
 
Eclipse managed to speak. “Predilections?”
 
“My tastes, Eclipse. My… likings.”
 
“Thank you, my lord; I am aware of what the word means. I don't understand why the elf-king said that, though.”
 
Raenef smiled, but it was without humour. “Ophion then apologised for the fact that there were no princes with dark hair. He said there were plenty of tall, long-legged, broad-shouldered elves with a proud bearing and long hair, which is what he'd been told I liked, but there were none amongst his people who could boast raven-black hair. None who resembled a northern demon.”
 
Eclipse drew a deep breath. “I see.”
 
“Is that all you can say?” Raenef sat up in his chair, clearly surprised by his reaction. He blushed, his hands clenching and unclenching on the blanket. “Eclipse!” he cried, “King Ophion suggested that we were - that you… that I… I mean: it's ridiculous to even think it!”
 
The tiny flare of hope fizzled and died. “Yes, my lord. Absolutely ridiculous.”
 
“Good.” Raenef's voice shook. Eclipse supposed that his master had been outraged by the elf-king's innuendo, and yet he did not seem pleased by Eclipse's swift words of agreement. Indeed, when Raenef added, “I'm glad we have the same opinion. About how ridiculous it is, I mean,” his expression seemed to suggest disappointment.
 
“And you told the king how ridiculous it was?”
 
“No.”
 
The pinched look he'd seen yesterday returned. Raenef's face crumpled, but he caught himself, controlled his emotions. “You told me to use diplomacy. Ophion was testing me, you said. I didn't want to let you down. I want to be a great demon lord… the greatest demon lord. If I could form an alliance with the elves, the others would take notice of me. Diplomacy, you said. Use diplomacy…”
 
His heart in his mouth, Eclipse asked softly, “What did you do?”
 
Raenef looked away. “I… I accepted my companion.”
 
Too late, Eclipse realised that his lord was acting oddly not because he was upset with something the elves had done, but because he felt guilty. And if he felt guilty, then he thought he'd done something wrong…
 
Eclipse was slow to catch onto the truth. It was unthinkable, too painful, and he didn't want to accept it. Master Raenef had taken a lover. An elf, a prince: a lover who was nothing more than a bribe to ensure his agreement to a treaty.
 
He was swamped by a lash of pain so great it was almost physical. If he could have warded it off, he would have done so, but Eclipse was defenceless against it. The jealousy he'd felt before was nothing compared to this. It stole his breath and his reason, leaving him with nothing. He felt as scoured and empty as a shell.
 
He realised that Raenef was gazing at him, one hand to his mouth in unhappy fear. “Are you angry?” his master asked. “Oh, Eclipse, are you disappointed?”
 
He knew he should deny it; that he should swallow the jealousy and reassure him with a smile that everything was all right; but it wasn't. Nothing would ever be all right again.
 
“Yes,” he said, and his voice was so cold he could not recognise himself. “Yes, Master Raenef. I am angry, and I am disappointed.”
 
He stood up and went towards the door, desperate to get away before he said anything else, before he lost control of his emotions completely.
 
As he reached the door, he heard a sound - a tiny, soft sob. Eclipse paused, turning back without knowing what he was doing.
 
“Eclipse!” Raenef pleaded.
 
He shook his head and fled the room.