Devil May Cry - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Devil Crusade ❯ Past And Present ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own either Devil May Cry or Chrno Crusade.
Chapter 1: Past And Present
New York, 2005
It was not the most welcoming looking building in the city. The windows were boarded up and the door was locked at all times. Entrance was strictly on invitation basis only. Dante rapped on the door and heard a rough voice say, ``You got an invitation or what?''. Dante smiled and said ``Sure, sure, here it is''. A window in the door frame pulled back and an eye could be seen staring out of it……straight down the barrel of a pure white handgun.
``Now why don't you be a good little devil and open the door. I got an appointment and I'd hate to keep him waiting''
The door opened and Dante walked in, grinning at the medium sized devil acting as a bouncer. He generally stayed away from the demon bars in town. The owners said he scared off customers. But he'd got a call from a client who wanted to meet him here. He walked up to bar where a rather flimsy looking demon was handing out what might be mistaken for very dark red wine. The barkeeper looked up and moaned. ``Please, don't shoot up the place like last time'', he pleaded as he handed Dante his whiskey. The devil hunter grinned as he answered ``Hey, just keep your customers under control this time. Not my fault if they start a fight and I've gotta finish it''.
Dante was on his third whiskey and thanking his father for a demons stamina when a voice behind him ``Ah, Mister Dante, I see you are on time''. Swivelling around in his chair, Dante saw what was perhaps the strangest sight he had ever seen. He saw a short, balding human with thick glasses. While not particularly odd, the effect was magnified by the fact that directly behind him in a booth were a pair of Goatlings playing poker. Dante stared for a moment then shook his head and said ``Yeah, that's me. I take it you're the guy I'm supposed to meet''. ``Yes, yes you're right on the money. The names Sinclair. Jack Sinclair''. He was grinning from ear to ear as Dante took his out stretched hand and rather gingerly shook it. ``Mister Dante, shall we take a booth to discuss business?''. Dante and Mr. Sinclair sat down, Dante ordered another whisky, turned to his companion and said ``So, I take it you've gotta job for me''
New York, late 1920s
Rossete ignored Chrno as she stomped down the street. The devil in human form kept calling her name, each time sounding more and more desperate but the nun plodded steadily on, seeming to suffer from an extreme case of sudden deafness. Azmaria ran after them wondering if Rossete was ever going to slow down. She'd given up calling after Rossete ten minutes ago and was at the moment reflecting on how this had all happened. They had been sent out to deliver food to an orphanage which had put Rossete in a bad mood because she said someone who had been a saint had more important things to do then play delivery girl. Sister Kate had pointed out that Rossete was no longer a saint or an apostle or anything of such note and that she should be grateful to be able to help to poor. So things had been bad enough before they bumped into Satella, out doing her shopping. Satella had said that Chrno looked better as a man then he had as a boy, just having a joke, and Chrno had said that Satella looked nice in her dress. Azmaria could tell that the moment the words were out of his mouth he'd regretted them. He'd spun around and just saw Rossete stomp around the corner. They'd spent the last 20 minutes trying to get Rossete to talk to them. They were at the gate to the Orders headquarters and she still wasn't talking to them. She was walking with her eyes rather tightly shut as well, which was unfortunate as she never saw Remington in time to stop from running into him. There was aloud thud as the two hit the ground, in which time Chrno managed to catch up. He offered Rossete his hand but she gave it a look that would have burned it off, if that were possible, pulled her self up and began apologising to Remington. The angel shrugged it off, ``it's alright Rossete, I've had worse falls. It's actually lucky I bumped into you. Sister Kate said she wanted you in her office. Something about a new mission''. Rossete suddenly looked very official and said, ``Oh of course, Minister. Azmaria, lets go''. She didn't even look at Chrno. The devil and the angel exchanged looks as Chrno hurried to catch up with Rossete and Azmaria. Johan chuckled to himself, `Poor Chrno, he certainly picked a hothead'. He could be heard laughing as he hurried on his way.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
`So', Dante asked between sips, `What is it you wanted to meet me about?' Mr. Sinclair stared into the glass the bar tender had brought for a few moments before saying, `Tell me, is Hell all it's cracked up to be?' Dane shrugged. `Not exactly a holiday resort if you know what I mean'. While his answer was casual, Dante was in fact surprised that his companion had known about his recent excursion into the Hell dimension. He'd thought the only ones who knew were himself and Lucia.
`Brighter then you'd thought it'd be, I suppose'
The hairs on Dante's neck stood on end. He leaned forward and said, `Just what are you getting at'?
Sinclair looked at the devil hunter and smiled, `Have you ever heard of Pandemonium? She is the oldest devil in existence. The first, who came into being not long after the universe. Some stories claim she's the first of the fallen angels, but I've never believed that. What is certain is that she is the mother of all demons. Heaven and Hell came into existence along with the universe. Not long after, Pandemonium appeared. From her every single devil, from the mindless worms to the most cunning knight is descended. For billons of years she ruled supreme.'
Dante listened intently, he'd never heard anything like this from his father. `So what, if she's the devil queen did Mundus beat her or something?'
`Oh no Dante, Mundus never fought Pandemonium. He never had to. She has been tied to a single spot in hell from the beginning, she couldn't have interfered with him if she wanted to. Mundus maintained that he was doing as she wished, but as she never spoke I think he used her as a figure head, before he was banished to another realm by Sparda, one he escaped from not so long ago'. Sinclair looked Dante right in the face and the devil hunter realized Sinclair knew all about his fight with Mundus, the one where he managed to reseal him in his prison. Sinclair might look average, but he knew a lot more then an ordinary human should. Sinclair cleaned his glasses and continues, `Anyway, up until around 120 years or so ago, she was the devil queen. That is until one devil decided he wanted to disrupt the balance. You see, pandemonium is in effect the demon God. As long as both rule, the balance of the universe is maintained. But this devil wanted to shift the balance. He cut her head off. From that moment on, light entered the darkness, and darkness entered the light.'
Dante shrugged and said, `So, what's the big deal. Light in dark, dark in light, everything hunky dory'. Sinclair glanced over. `The point is, Hell cannot take the light, and visa versa. Over the past century, it's been getting steadily worse. It's reflected here on earth. More wars and stronger weapons.' Sinclair went quiet more a moment as if gathering himself, before continuing. `Within another 50 years, the world will finally succumb. After that, the rest of the universe follows.'
Dante sipped his whisky before replying, `So what is it you want. This seems a bit out of my league. I'm a hunter, nothing else. I can't reverse the universe going down the tube.'
Sinclair smiled, `I think I've found away to solve our little dilemma. However, I'm no fighter. I need you to investigate something for me'. Dante thought for a moment. `Ok, I'll take the job'.
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
Chrno leaned back on the chair, staring at the churches ceiling. Rossete had gone to meet Sister Kate with Azmaria and Chrno felt he should give Rossete time to cool off. She always did. To be honest he didn't mind if she got mad, he'd come so close to losing her. He found it funny that a devil was indebted to an angel, but he owed Remington more then he could ever repay………………
Chrno carried the tray up to Rossete. She'd been bed ridden for the last few days. Rossete knew she was dying, but she tried to put a brave face on. And she wasn't the only one. On his way down the stairs, Chrno nearly collapsed. He gasped for breath, grasping the wound on his side. Six months and it hadn't even come close to healing. Rossete knew of course, and more then once had suggested breaking the seal. But Chrno couldn't do it. She had at most a few weeks left, maybe less. He couldn't take the little time she had left. Chrono managed to pull himself outside and sat down on the veranda. He closed his eyes and tried to lose himself in the silence.
`Not exactly how you'd expect to find a devil, enjoying a little quiet'.
Chrono's eyes snapped open. Standing in front of him was Johann Remington. He looked rather dishevelled but he was smiling. `Minister, how…what are you doing here'? Remington smiled, `I called in a favour, so to speak. Although I had to make a couple of sacrifices to get the information I need. But He was always like that'. Chrno was completely stunned. He tried to stand up but had to stay sitting, his side was burning too much. Remington bent down and touched Chrno's side. The devil winced but managed not to make a sound.
`If you transformed, this would be healed in an instance, but Rossete would die almost instantly'. Remington noticed Chrno wasn't looking him in the face. It was time to tell him why he was here. `Chrno, I need you to come back'.
`No. Neither one of us has much time left. We want to spend it together'.
Remington's face turned serious, `Chrno, we have a major problem. Hell is getting brighter by the day. Eventually, the balance will completely collapse and it'll take everything else with it. The two of you are vital. You're needed, for all our sakes'.
`NO!' Chrno's face was twisted with pain and rage a he said, `I won't do it, I won't take anything more from her. It's all my fault. If I'd killed Aion when all this started, none of this would have happened. I won't make it worse'.
Remington looked at him for a moment before speaking.
`What if you could take it all back'?
Chrno looked at him, confusion on his deceptively young face.
`Part of the price I paid to find you was having to rejoin the order. After I joined, Sister Kate insisted I have something. With it, I think it's possible to save you both. And it can give Rossete back what she has lost'.
Chrno stared, `What do you mean?'
Remington looked the demon in the eyes and said, `It can give her back the lost time. She can live her entire life'. Chrno suddenly realized he'd stopped breathing. He managed to say, `How?' Remington reached into his coat and took out two objects. Chrno's eyes widened. He was looking at his horns
`These can stop the passage of time. Using this power, you can break the rules. You can return the astral energy taken from Rossete, ten fold. She'll have her life back. In fact', Remington laughed, `she'll probably get a lot of extra time'. The angels face seemed pleading as he said, `Please Chrono, take these back'. Chrno looked from Remington to the horns and back again. And then, he reached out
Rossete woke up suddenly. She heard Chrno screaming. She tried to call out but her voice wouldn't work. Suddenly the entire house shook and the screaming stopped. Rossete managed to pull herself into a sitting position. She heard footsteps on the stairs. Her door swung open and Rossete went white. A tall devil was standing in front of her. His red wings rested against his side, and the metallic ponytail swayed in an imaginary wind. Two horns swept out from under the thick strands of hair. Chrno smiled and held out his hand. Rossete cried as she took it. She felt filled with light. The weakness in her limbs vanished. One moment she could barely hold herself, the next she felt better then she had in her entire life. Behind Chrno she saw Minister Remington, smiling with tears in his eyes. Chrono was crying as well, so it was wasn't a surprise to feel tears running down her face. The devil started to glow, so bright Rossete couldn't look at him. When the glowing stopped a tall, handsome man stood before her, dressed in Chrno's traditional red outfit. He looked rather sheepish as he said, `I couldn't take this form without my horns'. Rossete found this statement very funny for some reason and started to laugh. The other two looked at each other and laughed as well. The three of them weren't laughing at anything. It just seemed the right thing to do. Chrno's laugh was cut off as he felt Rossete wrap her arms around him. Laying her head against his chest she said, `Let's go home'.
Chrno stared at the ceiling, lost in thought. He didn't hear Azmaria till she cleared her throat
`Chrno, Sister Kate told me to fetch you'. The demon pulled himself up and said, `Alright Azmaria, I'm coming. Has Rossete calmed down?' Azmaria looked nervous as she said, `No, I actually think she's madder but-'. She stopped in mid sentence, for some reason Chrno had started to grin.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Nero rolled into the swing, and swiftly rose, slashing with the Red Queen. The demon swordsman collapsed in a pool of blood, but was instantly replaced by another. Nero was tiring and these things seemed to be coming out of the walls. He could hear the distracting sound of whimpering from the injured man. And he could feel the cold, calculating presence within taking in the battle, analysing it. Nero blocked a strike and kicked the demon in the chest, before twisting his sword handle a swinging, the revving blade slicing the demon neatly in half. As two more appeared, the tip of the sword dropped slightly as its owner fought for breath
You're weakening
What do you expect?? They're just keep coming.
Focus. These creatures bleed life force from their leader. Kill him, and the rest will follow.
Nero didn't bother answering, he just charged. Behind the new monsters, he spotted his target, and hurled the Red Queen. The demon dodged with ease as the sword flew past, but realised too late that it was a diversion. There was a click followed by an echoing bang. The demons all began to scream, as their power source collapsed, his head virtually neatly decimated by the double shot. After a few moments, they all collapsed, coughing blue grey blood as they died. Nero turned around to check on the injured victim, only to catch sight of him as he vanished round a corner, running into the main street. The hunter frowned slightly as he walked over to his sword.
You expected gratitude. Humans are weak, ungrateful cowards.
I'm not interested in thanks. I'm interested in killing demons.
Problem was, that was becoming harder. Recently, stories had begun circulating the underground, stories about a rise in demonic activity, and oddly enough humans in robes featured in a lot of them. Picking up his sword and sheathing it, he decided. IF he wanted information on rising activity, there was one place he knew likely to have it. Devil Never Cry
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Hope you enjoyed chapter 1. More soon to follow. I beg for reviews people. Only through them can I become bitter and distant