Devil May Cry - Series Fan Fiction ❯ Devil Crusade ❯ Dante Through The Looking Glass ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Own nothing.
Chapter 2: Dante Through the Looking Glass
“Trish, open up”
The blonde woman stretched as she got out of the chair. Going to the door, she opened it and smiled as she recognised the wispy white hair.
“Well, well, well. Look who decided to pay a visit. Come in why don't you”.
Nero stepped into the warm office, and took off his coat, revealing an arm tightly wrapped in bandages and held in a sling. He glanced around for a moment before turning his attention to Trish, “So, where is he?”
“Off on a case. He said he should be back in a few days”. Immediately she noticed a displeased look spread across the young hunter's face. “Something up?” Nero sighed, “I'm not sure. I've been hearing a lot of rumours last few weeks. Reports of heightened activity. I thought Dante might have some information”. Trish indicated he should take a seat before saying, “Well business has been pretty quiet, so we're not getting any rise. Want some tea?” Nero gave a brief nod, and turned his attention a few stray papers on Dante's desk as she went to get the tea. Flicking through them, he couldn't find anything that hinted there was an increase in the number of demon attacks. He glanced up as Trish came back with the drinks. The two sat in silence for a few minutes, the only sound a slurping as they emptied their cups. Finished, Nero got to his feet, nodded a thank you and grabbed his coat. Trish smiled and tipped the cup at him as he left, not surprised when he didn't give a response. Dante might be all mouth, but Nero never said more then he had to. As he stepped out into the chilly street his eyes glazed over slightly as he heard the voice echoing at the back of his mind
So, do you intend to carry on with this?
I'm a hunter. If there are more demon attacks I have to do what I can. It's how I was raised
A cold, detached feeling of interest echoed through his mind. And is it wise to follow such teachings, the teachings of those who betrayed you?
Nero didn't bother to answer. Vergil wouldn't understand.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
“Churches. Why is it always churches?”
Dante hopped off the bike and took a moment to look over the rather dangerous looking building. It hadn't been used in years, and it looked more then ready to fall down at the first strong breeze. He wasn't too happy about having to go in, but he'd taken the job. Investigate the activities of a small group of hooded figures, operating out of a run down church, about two hours drive from the city. Considering how much he was being paid by the creepy little human, he figured he couldn't pass this job up. And so, it was with a less then enthusiastic walk he approached the church door and grabbed the handle. A moment later he yanked his hand back, barley able to stop himself from yelling. His hand had a cross burned into the palm. Wincing, he shook it as he bent down and examined the handle. Engraved in it, faded to the point it was nearly impossible to see, was a small cross. Figures, didn't want any nasties coming in without knocking. “Damn it I hate churches”. Dante could heal sword wounds in moments, but those inflicted by holy water, crosses or the like could take a week or more to heal. Still shaking the burnt hand, he stood back from the door, and looked up, hoping to find a way in that didn't involve kicking in the door and bringing the whole damn church down on his head. About ten feet above him, he could make out a large ledge outside a stain glass window.
“Bingo”
He stood unmoving for a moment, before bending his knees and launching himself into the air. He effortlessly shot upwards, landing on the ledge with ease. The glass had been knocked out years ago, and inside he could make out the hooded figures, his eyes able to make out what no human could in this light. There were ten, maybe twelve. Five were gathered in a small circle, surrounding a gory mess, the smell of human blood drifting up from it. The others were milling a round, some walking slowly round the circle, stopping now and then to hold they're hands out in front of them. The rest held knives and were slowly making shallow cuts in they're wrists, letting the blood fall randomly across the floor. They were chanting but in a language Dante had never heard before. Finally, one of the cutters stepped into the middle of the circle. Standing in the bloody remains, their voice rose as they chanted. Suddenly their voice became a piercing screech and their body exploded, blood and body parts splattering the members of the circle, who didn't even flinch. Again and again the process was repeated, until only the 5 were left. As the last hooded figure died, the circle stood up, and backed away. One dropped their hood, then another, revealing a group of startlingly attractive women. One turned to her companions and said “Our part's done. When our counters perform their part, the gateway will open.” There was a quiet murmur of agreement. She opened her mouth to speak, when there was a thump as something landed on the floor. From the shadows, his sword resting on his shoulders, Dante walked forwards, stopping about twenty feet away. He tilted his head as he looked the women over, and grinned. “Gotta say, I've seen my fair share of crazy occultists. But you're definitely the sexist ones I've met”. The grin refused to die as the women merely stood staring at him. “I know, you're not sure who gets to ask me out first. Well, sorry to disappoint, but as a rule I don't date women who hang out in churches, tends to be unhealthy for me”. He waved his burnt hand for effect. And was slightly disappointed when they merely continued to stare. He started snapping his fingers, “Hey, anyone home ladies?” They gave no answer, but as one, their eyes gave off a dim spark. And Dante was yanked off his feet, as a huge green talon burst out of his stomach and swung, throwing him into a wall, causing the whole building to quiver and knocking the Rebellion from his hand. Dante got to his feet, the wound healing as he straightened. He dusted himself off and glanced at his stomach, frowning as he saw the large tear in his vest. He looked up, taking in the rather large green demon, its body covered in armour, supporting itself on three legs, one hand dripping his blood.
“Do you have any idea how much it costs to fix this outfit?” As he spoke, he reached behind and pulled out Ebony and Ivory, the guns spinning on his fingers. You better have the money to pay my tailor, pal”. With a roar, the demon leaped at him. Dante's hands closed on the handles of his guns, and as the beast closed, let fly a flurry of bullets. The shots tore through the demons hide but didn't seem to slow it down. Dante leaped into the air as it slashed at the spot he'd been in a moment before, firing as he flipped over its head. It snarled as it whirled, taking a barrage in the face which it completely ignored. Taking his fingers off the triggers, Dante said “Right. So much for Plan A.”. The demon charged but as it closed Dante jumped up and spun, his foot connecting with the side of its face. The demon staggered as the hybrid hit the floor grinning. “I prefer Plan B anyway”. He threw out his hand, and the Rebellion flew into it. “Let's dance”. The demon bellowed a reply and slashed at his face, the blow caught on the Rebellion's blade. Still blocking, Dante pulled the blade, slicing into the flesh, causing the beast to draw back with a howl. Taking the opportunity, Dante closed and slashed at its head, completely severing it. With a groan, the demon collapsed, Dante stepping back looking rather disappointed. “Come on” he said speaking to the ladies without looking at them, “You couldn't have had something a little tougher. I didn't even get a chance to get into the swing of things”. Suddenly he was hit by a pressure wave that shook the building so much cracks spread across the wall. Whirling, he saw the 5 women gathered, their hands clasped, in front of some kind of vortex. “You gotta be kidding me”. As he watched, one reached into her robes, and pulled out some kind of orb. Almost casually she tossed it into the spiralling “hole”, which seemed to suck it in instantly. Dante walked quickly up, pointing his sword at the women. “I want to know what that was and I want to know now”. The speaker turned to him. “It has begun. When they are finished their part, and we have finished ours, the decay will speed up, the balance disrupt, and we will be victorious. You will not be around to see it”. She raised an elegant arm and pointed. Dante's entire body seemed to contract. He felt like he was stuck in a vice. Ribs snapped under the pressure, the force negating his regeneration. He screamed as he felt himself being crushed. Then, straining with the effort, he managed to lock his gaze with his torturer. “I'm…..not dead yet, bitch”. From the pupils, white spread out, colouring the irises until they were invisible, his white eyes beginning to glow, his skin turning a darker shade, and his hair shortening slightly. With a yell, he broke the free, and leaped at the women, stopping the transformation. To his surprise he felt himself being shoved by the air behind him, thrown forward into the whirling vortex. The next moment he was in mid air, back in his human state and plummeting. He crashed through a ceiling, breaking through rafters, before slamming into the ground, shattering pews, followed a moment by collapsing rubble falling on him. Men yelled, a girl screamed, and something snarled.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
“Nicely done Elena”
Elena turned as her master approached. “Thank you, I was afraid I had overdone it”.
The master grinned, “No, no, he is quite capable of surviving much worse. Now that he's out of the way, things can begin”.
Elena looked at her master. “But, doesn't sending him back risk him interfering?” The master nodded, “Yes. But as long as Sparda's blood existed in this time, I couldn't even get things underway. I could have killed him I suppose, but I can't spare the energy, and none of you could manage it. No, this works best I think. I will speed up the summoning. Our comrades in the past now have what they need. And the blood magic I activated ensures time will not alter until the work in the past and present is complete. Sending the half breed back was a risk, but the powers back then will be more then a match for him if he does prove dangerous. I will be able to summon the most powerful demons now that the seal of Sparda's blood is so dramatically weakened, without a living source. Rejoice my love, soon we'll complete Aion's great work”.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
I know it's shortish, but purpose to my madness. Next chapter will be same length, just so you know ;)
Review review infinity