Digimon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction / Pokemon Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Around The Anime Horn ❯ It’s a somber day in the Neighborhood. ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

AROUND THE ANIME HORN

A/N: Episode 6 of `Around The Anime Horn' will touch on the life and times of Fred Rogers. Roy Jones Jr. might be on top of the world after his win over a top five heavyweight John Ruiz, but not many members of are panel are satisfied of the results. Can reality shows get any cheesier than this? The panel expresses their feelings on how desperate some people and some networks will really get. We will also make our predictions for March Madness all this month. And we'll chatter about all that happened in the War on Terrorism. A whole lot more will be revealed as we enter the competitive banterfest, next!

Day 6: It's a somber day in the Neighborhood. (Recorded March 3, 2003)

(we're on the air)

Arthur Read: These four things I know are true! It doesn't seem right that the KKK is supporting the Augusta National Golf Club if Tiger Woods is playing. It doesn't seem right to a top 5 heavyweight to lose to the best middleweight that money can buy. It doesn't seem right for referees to miss obvious calls and make farfetched ones, and although it doesn't seem right, I am Art Read welcoming you Around The Anime Horn.

(intro plays)

Voice Over: It's Around The Anime Horn, the show of competitive banter. Here now, Arthur Read!

Read: Welcome back to the little guilty pleasure that could. Let's get right to it with our anime panel. First, she is of Yu-Gi-Oh! fame and although she is not Mai Valentine, who I want to marry someday, we were able to get almost the next best thing. Please welcome the lead female, Téa Gardner. (very fast talk) Not related to Olympic Gold Medallist, Rulon Gardner.

Gardner: What did you say?

Read (lying through his teeth): A big fan towards gold miners and pig farmers. But those types of people like me too. Next, from Digimon Frontier fame, he had a twin brother that almost won, but came frightfully close to Daisuke Motomiya in the finals. Welcome the loner of the bunch, Kouji Minamoto!

Minamoto: I just want to say, I grew up on you and you are one of the reasons I wanted to work in television. I even did a screen test for you just before I got the call to work on Frontier.

Read: Isn't that a coincidence. I feel very flattered and I thank you. Next, I am excited about our next panelist. This is the first time that we have had an adult banter on the show, but of course next season we will break into the collection of `rarely before seen on TV' animes. But I am glad to have him because his grandson did an awesome job getting 44 points, and I hope that the same bantering genes that went to Gary Oak are also in the DNA of Professor Samuel Oak!

Oak: Wonderful introduction, Master Read!

Read: Master Read has a very nice ring to it! Finally, he was the first human enemy on Digimon Adventure and his last name makes me get this funny feeling of wanting to say Mississippi, or is it a rhyming name. Anyway, give it up for Ken Ichijouji, which I know for a fact rhymes for Kouji. Getting back to the game, this is the show that scores the argument and here's how it's done with these joysticks and MUTE buttons.

For the first three rounds, scoring will be based on point of view, style and information.

O.K. answers get one point

Good answers get two points

Great answers get three points

The MUTE button (deduction of five points) is used to penalize and direct traffic during arguments.

We eliminate panelists in the second and fourth rounds so a one on one showdown determines the winner. Let's make it happen!

Voice Over: It's the Opening Remarks!

Read: The world lost one of its pioneers in children's television on Thursday as Mister Fred Rogers died at the age of 74. The cause of death has been linked to a brief fight against stomach cancer. For nearly 50 years, he was the star of WQED Pittsburgh's `Mister Rogers Neighborhood' on the PBS network. A network I am familiar with myself, but I come from WGBH Boston. Your first question of the game is what was the true effect of Mister Rogers on television and what does his death mean the end of? We'll go around the horn to Kouji Minamoto.

Minamoto: He was an ordained Presbyterian minister, a puppeteer, a child psychologist, but most important a neighbor to all. (three points; at 3) The show was made for children that would normally be alone after coming home from school. Being such an amazing voice for not just public television, but television as a whole (three points; at 6) he didn't use the program as a method of preaching but as a method of just living in this world.

Oak: Not only that, his death, and retirement marked the end of the preach, preach, preach era of television. (two points; at 2) Yes he was a Christian minister and the program could have been just as easily been turned into a Sunday morning church broadcast, but Fred Rogers had so much more talent beyond that. He could sing, make you feel better with his comforting voice (two points; at 4) and lull you to forget all your troubles.

Gardner: I think he is the greatest thing to happen to public television. With so many messages in the media, this was the one place you could come to escape from like the professor said, preaching. (two points; at 2) It isn't as if Rogers wasn't caught up with the times, he had to be or else there was no reason to keep him on the air. This is a man that has touched multiple generations (three points; at 5) and has helped us not only in the classrooms but also in life itself. (three points; at 8)

Ichijouji: Rogers was certainly one of the great characters that we remember. I will go out on a limb saying that his show was better than the Electric Company was or Captain Kangaroo. (three points; at 3) But I have to say that over the course of all public television, the only show that has stood the test of time long enough to be called the best is Sesame Street. (two points; at 5) But I think the show has taken a toll for the worse when Elmo got too popular.

Read: I think those are awesome points you are making, but I want you to know this before we continue. Rogers, of course was a very good friend of mine and a true speaker of the heart. But I want to throw this out to Téa. Is this the end of an era of TV, and if so, which era?

Gardner: Count Mister Rogers' death as the end of the `listen because I told you to do so' era of television. You listened because there was something you wanted to hear something that would get you out of your bad mood. (two points; at 10)

Ichijouji (interrupting): You also want to…

Gardner (continuing): And he was great… (MUTE; now at 5)

Read: All right Téa. You had your turn. Go on Ken.

Ichijouji: You also want to add the fact that shows like `The Electric Company' and `Sesame Street help kids with the basic ABC's and 123's. Mister Rogers' show helped with the growing functions of a kid in general (three points; at 8) while being an entertaining satisfaction at the same time.

(horn blares)

Read: Old Sammy, you have the last word.

Oak: `Old Sammy'?

Read: Take it or leave it, professor.

Oak: The most famous neighborhood in all the world will be remembered for the personalities that helped to pull that show from WQED pit holes to worldwide recognition. (three points; at 7)

Read: I have known Mister Rogers since I was a very young youth. I have felt his impact even up to this day. He was a great friend of mine and I feel concerned that this generation of kids will not get the same messages so many others and I got from watching him. He will surely be missed. As you heard from the horn we must move on. Next topic! From one serious situation to another, there have been more terrorist stories in the past week than any other week to boot. After the Wednesday interview with CBS News' Dan Rather and Saddam Hussein, Turkey denied yet another request by the US to use their land for troops to stay during wartime. Iraq has decided to destroy their long range Al Samoud 2 missiles before the 2nd planned UN Resolution. And key planner of terrorist attacks such as 9/11 and the U.S.S. Cole, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed has been arrested and sent to a federal prison in Washington D.C. Here is the question. What do all these things do for the Showdown with Saddam and the War on Terror? We'll go around the horn to Téa Gardner.

Gardner: I think with the way the US Government, more specifically the Bush Administration has been pushing war the last seven months, this means absolutely nothing. (two points; at 7) President Bush shall not wait much longer before he draws first blood on Iraqi soldiers.

Minamoto: Au contraire, Miss Gardner. The US has made the War on Terror look like mere child's play. But I have yet to see Osama bin Laden (three points; at 9) and the biggest threat to the US is North Korea and Kim Jong Il, not Iraq with Saddam Hussein.

Oak: I have a feeling that with the health of bin Laden depleting as it is, the US feels he can do no damage to their peace and prosperity. (two points; at 9) And you have to remember that around 1998 to before September of 2001, hardly anybody NOT associated with the government even knew who bin Laden was. If the US were more vocal about terrorism then, we wouldn't be as uneducated as we are now.

Read: Before we move on, I just have to say that if the price is right for Turkey, they will give their land to Allied Forces so their work can continue. But this one goes out to Ichijouji. The key Al-Qaeda operative has been arrested. What, if anything will he tell the government?

Ichijouji: First of all, before I answer that question, let me let everyone know that Mohammed will not be killed. They will continue interrogation until he lets them know everything. But in the name of the Islamic God Allah, mum will be his word. (three points; at 11) It probably would be in the interrogator's psyche to want to think of lesser charges, because the man will probably face a court of law for telling people outright that he has terrorized America.

Oak: Look. North Korea may make claims that they are destroying their nuclear weapons, but it is also believed that they may be rebuilding them faster and more powerful than ever before. It's no secret that Il does not favor the capitalist rule of thumb that South Korea has been given by the US powerhouse. (two points; at 11) And being the relentless dictator he is, I wouldn't put a preplanned attack by the country past any power the United States has to stop it.

Minamoto: Now that the leading planner of Al-Qaeda has been captured, I believe that said organization will have to either depend on someone else to get their plans up and running or do a complete regrouping of Al-Qaeda. (two points; at 11) This is needed because Mohammed was basically the guy that ran Al-Qaeda.

(horn blares)

Read: Téa, you have the last word. I know you want to catch up.

Gardner: It will be in the best interest of the United States to hang onto every word that they have said in the last eight months and make sure it holds up to the UN. But what the US realizes is that they don't need allies (three points; at 10) and this war could start as early as tomorrow.

Read: Let it be known by everybody that we will be going to war, and soon. That is the only thing I can guarantee. Those were the Opening Remarks and we will look at `The Bare Facts', next!

After round one, the scores are:

Téa Gardner: 10 points

Kouji Minamoto: 11 points

Professor Samuel Oak: 11 points

Ken Ichijouji: 11 points

(commercial break)

(we're back on the air)

Voice Over: The Bare Facts!

Art Read: It's bare facts time where we keep it moving. First Topic! If it's March, then it's March Madness. It's time for the field of 65 to be set for both men's and women's tournaments nationally and for each respective conference. Give me the bare facts on March Madness, Téa.

Gardner: It is the time of the year where mid-major teams shine on a national stage. The time where said teams need to win their conference tourney to even think about placing in the field. (one point; at 11) It's one hell of a good party and if you played your cards right, you are invited.

Read: Big K?

Minamoto: There is nothing in the world like March Madness and seeing which conference was a surprise and which one was a flat out disappointment like the SEC last year. (two points; at 13) And like Gardner mentioned with the conference tournaments, it is fun to see these teams literally go heel toe with each other for just a spot in that field of 65.

Read: Professor, do you have a rebuttal?

Oak: As always, March Madness will be covered by ESPN for the conference tournaments and CBS for the national title. So it means I will have my dish set up to watch all the early rounds of the tourney (three points; at 14) and not answer phones or go anywhere except for commercials for the first three rounds and every other time.

Ichijouji: It is the time of year where everyone can be a critic, a fan or simply aroused by all the happenings. There is something for every sports fan including the big dog of the playground. (three points; at 14) Don't forget the underdogs either.

Read: When I think about March Madness, I think of all the C/D students that made their treks to get to the big dance and follow their team all the way, but that's just me.

Minamoto: You're right. That is just you.

Read (with is hand over Kouji's MUTE button): I haven't had the chance to do this much. Don't push me. Next topic! Trading deadlines or trades have been the hot topic for late February on into early March. I just want to know the bare facts on some of the big trades in the big four sports, Kouji.

Minamoto: Gary Payton and Ray Allen would be on my all star team at the drop of a hat. The franchises these gentlemen were with did not put out the expected production they expected, so they thought one great player for another great player wouldn't be a bad call. (one point; at 14)

Oak: The biggest trades so far are going to be with the Arizona Cardinal franchise. Their two big stars, for lack of a better word are going to be traded to fill up cap space. It is rumored that Jake Plummer will go to Denver and Eric Boston will go to San Diego. Call me if the Cardinals make the playoffs. (two points; at 16)

Read: I wouldn't expect to. Ken?

Ichijouji: There haven't been any dynamite trades with the exception of the Allen/Payton Bucks/Sonics trade, but both of those teams are down on resources and down on time to make it look like it will work for this season. (three points; at 17)

Gardner: You guys don't realize the possibilities of trading. You think it's a useless part of the season, but I know that trading is a part of regrouping your priorities in introducing new players into a system that should supposedly work. (two points; at 13) I pick Jake Plummer as the trade of the year.

Read: The trading deadline for MLB and NFL is far from over and so is the trading issue. Next topic! In a move that few people even expected, the Ku Klux Klan condoned the Augusta National Golf Club for not allowing female members. I want to know the bear facts on why the KKK feel that their word is even respected, Professor.

Oak: For a long time, a thing like this would be recognized all the way to the grave of a lynched African-American. (three points; at 19) But what I find confusing is why they would condone a club because it won't allow women, but will allow blacks? (three points; at 22)

Read: Absolutely excellent! Ken?

Ichijouji: That is a hard one to beat, but I feel that few people will even pay attention to their condoning. I don't think that Mr. Johnson and the head officers of Augusta are racist and if they were, people like Woods and Singh, who are also former winners will have to place pride over principle and decide for themselves how to deal with it. (three points; at 20) But as golfers, your main objective is to be a golfer and not a political/moral analyst.

Gardner: Augusta can choose to do or say whatever they want about the comments by the KKK, but I would just leave it as is. If the Klan wants to condone you for keeping women out of the club, that is simple freedom of speech. (three points; at 16) But the golf club has made it distinctively clear what position they are at, and that is the same position the KKK is when it comes to women players. Very suspicious, I must say.

Minamoto: Let it be known that the Augusta National Golf Club has not publicly thanked the KKK for their remarks on women players. This will outright clear their name of any involvement with the Klan (three points; at 17) so therefore nothing more should be said about this issue.

Read: You can't argue with the power of freedom of speech, but that doesn't make it right. Next topic! Last week, quadriplegic Christopher Reeve made an appearance on the WB network show `Smallville' as an astronomer. Reeve played the original Superman or Clark Kent in not only a TV series, but multiple action films. This is sort of pick and choose, but give me the bare facts on your favorite superhero, Ken.

Ichijouji: My favorite superheroes growing up were the original Gundam pilots…

Read: Hate to interrupt you, but weren't those over two decades ago?

Ichijouji (continuing): Well, my family was a big fan of the anime and some of the mangas. I really wouldn't call us general fans, but my favorite was always Ray. (two points; at 22)

Read: You got two points for information.

Gardner: I am speaking for all the feminists here when I say that there has been a lack of many proud females in anime until the last 1-2 decades, but I am going to go American and say Wonder Woman before she formed the Wonder Twins. (two points; at 18)

Minamoto: My favorite hero of all time had to be the cape crusader, Batman. I've got one word for you to explain this and that is `Batmobile'. (two points; at 19) One of the coolest cars in the world and a true example of what it takes to stand apart from the rest of the crowd.

Oak: I didn't really grow up with superheroes, but I do have this one story about wanting to be able to fly with some of the bird Pokémon I lived near.

Read: I'm not giving you points, because it has to be a real superhero. I think I just made a play on words.

(horn blares)

Read: That was the horn and it means we must bid farewell to Téa Gardner. I thought she was doing real well early on. Moving on, we will have more back and forth arguing, next!

(commercial break)

(we're back on the air)

Voice Over: It's Around the Anime Horn, where after two rounds, here's how they stand:

Kouji Minamoto has 19

Professor Samuel Oak has 22

Ken Ichijouji has 22

And Téa Gardner became another victim of Arthur Read's scoring system.

And now… it's more of the argument!

Art Read: I said that Téa was doing well in the early part, but we have more to settle with some more arguments. First topic! Middleweight turned heavyweight Roy Jones Jr. defeated top five heavyweight John Ruiz and taking his share of the world heavyweight title to boot. Obviously, the next step up would be a Tyson or Lewis so here is what I want to know. What will it take out of Jones to defeat a top-notch heavyweight? We'll go around the horn to Ken Ichijouji.

Ichijouji: I believe in my heart of hearts that Jones has the pure firepower and heart to give a Lewis or Tyson a formidable challenge. Jones has all but made his reputation known as the biggest middleweight dog in the fight. (three points; at 25) I just think that Jones has to realize that he is going against a new quality of fighters in the heavyweights and train as such and he'll be fine.

Minamoto: Ken, not only we're you a sorry choice for a loner in the Adventure series, you couldn't call a boxing match because you show slight sympathy for Roy in this case. And by the way, in my heart of hearts and brain of brains, I know that Jones did something that no other middleweight has done in over a century of boxing. (three points; at 22) Jones has to train his butt off, because once you lose to the best boxing has to offer once, it takes about a year to regain your status. It has been painful to watch Rahman knowing that he once was the heavyweight champion, but now can't seem to defeat no-name boxers. (three points; at 25)

Read: Do you want to respond professor?

Oak: I say that Roy Jones Jr. is a cut above many, if not all of the no-name heavyweights. He just has to also be a cut above top 5 boxers. He has gotten probably into the top three, to the point where the only two standing ahead of him are Tyson and Lewis. (two points; at 24)

Read: I just want to throw this out to Minamoto. We all know that Jones is a great fighter, but pound for pound, can he compare with Tyson and Lewis?

Minamoto: Pound for pound, I have to say that Roy is at a disadvantage with being just a shade under 200 lbs. I have a feeling that putting on more muscle will benefit Jones (two points; at 27) but that can only go so far.

Oak: I think that Jones is the best fighter in the world in terms of being able to align and elevate himself wherever his career takes him, but there is not much after that. He could pull off a miracle by beating Tyson, because the tattoo can serve as a bullseye (three points; at 27) but Lennox will be a tough can of corn.

Read: I won't even respond to that expression.

Ichijouji: Be nice on him, Art. The guy has been around the block a couple of times. Speaking against Roy Jones Jr., I have to say that unless he makes leaps and bound in is training regimen, he will be the victim of a first-round knockout by one of our resident big dogs of the heavyweight yard. (two points; at 27)

(horn blares)

Read: I have to say that he only will have to make changes here and there to compensate for the all-around power of the heavyweights to have a chance to win. But we are all tied here with the guys. It should get interesting with our next topic! Two key players in basketball had jerseys retired earlier in the week. High school basketball phenom LeBron James had his #23 St. Vincent/St. Mary jersey retired and basketball great from Jamaica and New York Knickerbockers fame Patrick Ewing had his #33 jersey retired as well. Here is the question. How do you feel about retired jerseys and their impact on the game itself? We'll go around the horn to Professor Oak.

Oak: I feel that only those impact team players deserve to have their jerseys retired. The system in the NFL all but prevents any jersey from retirement because so many players are traded. (two points; at 29) It's just like a slap in the face for all the hard earned years that that player has spent with the franchise. For all other sports that have players choose from a list of non-retired or unused numbers which makes for retiring numbers very easy.

Minamoto: Because of the way the system is, LeBron James can sit out his last home game, one which he was ordered to sit out by the way, and watch his number 23 jersey go up in the SVSM rafters. I think that the kid should have at the very least a three-year wait before even considering it. (three points; at 30) But because he is in a class by himself, the school, which makes the end decision, thought it would be the least they could do for all he did.

Ichijouji: The franchises know what they are doing when they retire a jersey. I'll give you the basic criteria for their decision. This player, whoever he or she is, has had to have given their all for the betterment of the squad. They have to be a team player and a role model for their fellow team members. (three points; at 30) They must show selflessness in their work ethics because all the teammates trust in them. Those are the reasons why we retire jerseys.

Read: You know, I agree with you on the proposition of delaying the period in which a high schooler gets his jersey retired, but I want to give this one to Kouji. It should be very soon until Pete Rose gets reinstated into baseball. How should the Cincinnati Reds handle the impending return?

Minamoto: When Pete Rose gets reinstated, baseball and Bud Selig for that matter are going to place an eagle eye on Rose. The Reds are probably going to have to wait sometime until Rose's jersey is officially retired, but I see it happening not too far from the deadline. (two points; at 32)

Ichijouji: Pete will have to deal with the commissioners' third degree, but none the less, Rose's return to MLB will be uneventful. (one point; at 31)

Oak: I say that retired jersey or no retired jersey, this is finally the illusive opportunity for Pete to once again show that he is among the best. I think that the gambling incidents are behind him and he can pay off his current debts when he gets that reinstatement. (two points; at 31)

(horn blares)

Read: All right gentlemen, let's get right into today's pop quiz. I will quiz the three panelists on material related to everything on today's show. Each of them will get two questions and four points are awarded for each correct answer, but if you answer both questions incorrectly, you will receive a MUTE and a deduction of five points. If we are ready, let's begin with Kouji Minamoto's first question. What was the name of the mailman on `Mister Rogers Neighborhood' who shares the same middle name as Fred himself?

Minamoto: It was a Mc-something. I will say… Mr. McFeely.

(fanfare sounds)

Read: You're toying with us. Your second question is, what is the only single digit number of the NY Yankees that has not been retired?

Minamoto: Number 2.

(fanfare sounds)

Read: Number 2 worn by Derek Jeter. It probably will be retired unless Steinbrenner has a say. (eight points for Minamoto sending him to 40) It's now time for Professor Samuel Oak's trivia. Augusta is not only the city that hosts the Master's, but also a completely different city of the same name is the capital of what US state?

Oak: Vermont?

(buzzer sounds)

Read: The correct answer was Maine, or blueberry country. Your second question is what major city lies on two continents in Turkey?

Oak: The city of Istanbul.

(fanfare sounds)

Read: Istanbul, formerly Constantinople. (four points to Oak giving him 35) Now Ken has to get one to tie and two to win. I want the names of four leaders of Middle East rulers besides Saddam Hussein.

Ichijouji: Ariel Sharon, Yasser Arafat, Hamid Karzai, and Mohammed Khatami.

(fanfare sounds)

Read: One of those I didn't know, but it was on my list of leaders. You are now tied with the professor and it comes down to this final question. How many times have Evander Holyfield and John Ruiz met in boxing?

Ichijouji: Four times.

(fanfare sounds)

Read: And that answer propels you to the final round. (eight points for Ken and that brings him to 39) Unfortunately, we must bid farewell to Professor Samuel Oak. I guess like grandson, like grandfather doesn't count in these instances. But that will be all for naught in our final showdown which is next!

(commercial break)

(we're on the air)

Voice Over: It's time for the Final Showdown!

Art Read: And whoever wins this gets an opportunity to go in the season finale in April. Voice Over?

Voice Over: I'm way ahead of you, Read. Our final sixty-second argument deals with what we can learn from the Rhode Island nightclub disaster. It's Adventure 02 loner/villain versus Digimon Frontier's twin loner. Make it happen!

Read: It has been determined by the state of Rhode Island that 97 people died in the nightclub fire of West Warwick. After nearly three weeks, it has come to this question, what can we do to prevent this from ever happening again? Thirty seconds each and we will begin with Ken Ichijouji now.

Ichijouji: Hopefully, the wreckage has taught us how to be more mindful of what goes in and out of their establishments. If your club was not meant to handle a certain amount of people, don't let that number of people plus more into the building. If you are not permitted to have fireworks, then let whatever entertainment arriving in the building know in advance the rules and regulations that the club has set. These rules should be set aside for any other building to prevent this tragedy from repeating.

Minamoto: Don't forget that the building had no sprinkler system installed. You should have more power over your building and you have to make sure that people can breathe so that a repeat of the Chicago incident doesn't take place. I do think that the owners of the building should share equal responsibility with the landowners. That way, precautions can be taken that favor both sides and can accomplish the overall goal of making public buildings safer for all.

(horn blares)

Read: The overall goal is for everyone to come home safely. I think Kouji's suggestions override Ken's persuasion, and therefore makes Kouji Minamoto today's big winner!

(fanfare sounds)

Read: KM, you have 15 seconds starting now.

Kouji Minamoto: Me and my twin brother Kouichi are prime examples of the hard workers in acting. We didn't get there the easy way through `American Idol' `Star Search' or any shortcuts like that. Like many, we had dreams we wanted to follow. And from auditioning for the show `Arthur' to being a star of Digimon Frontier…

(horn blares)

Kouji Minamoto (continuing): I have to say it was all worth the struggle.

Téa and Professor Samuel return from their elimination.

Read: Great face time. That will do it for us, folks! Before we leave, let's check the standings for our season tournament in April.

As of Day 6, who is in?

Gary Oak: 44 points

Misty Waterflower: 44 points

Yugi Mutou: 40 points

Kouji Minamoto: 40 points

Who is out?

Daisuke Motomiya: 35 points

Hirokazu Shiota: 22 points

Read: Join us next week when Mokuba Kaiba, Takuya Kanbara, James Morgan and Matt Ishida join on the bantering bandwagon. Until then, for our cast, panel and crew, I am Arthur Read inviting you back next week around the anime horn!

The panel and host talk into going off the air.

(we're off the air)

Please R/R for Day 7: I'm a Celebrity, Stop the War!