Digimon Fan Fiction / Ragnarok Fan Fiction ❯ Where Fate Turns ❯ Chapter 7: Be Nice 'n Easy ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
****
Where Fate Turns
Chapter 7: Be Nice 'n Easy
****

Ph33r the yaoi!

Thanks shoutout! jay man, Lady Moon3 (Ahhh! It's the curse of the >_> emo cutoff! Hope you didn't lose anything in the review... ^^), Catgirl Rahen (There wasn't any room to explain it fully enough, but I did mention Yamato noticed that the Priest might have had something to do with it. The Priest can heal the wounds, but there's still blood. The Priest can't heal red clothes, either~ lol. Maybe I was thinking too realistically? Oh well, might as well keep with it), KawaiiKaren (I can really imagine Takuya as a Rogue, but I don't know enough about them to do that, unfortunately. ^^ kRO doesn't even have the 2-2 classes working fully yet, let alone the server I play on. Q_Q), Blackout12 (Lol! Yes, the plot is still growing, I'm glad you like it =3), darcy335200 (Um, yes! Emos. O_o), and Dragi! (please enjoy this chapter ^^)

Randomness: Does anyone actually GET the meanings behind the quotes at the beginning of these chapters? This one's probably the easiest ^^

****

~Too much of a good thing... even the sun, the source of all life can kill...~

****

By the time Takuya went back to the inn, he was too tired to think anything of the two archers occupying his bed. He pulled his sleeping bag out of his pack, arranged it on the floor next to the bed, and laid down on it. He was asleep in an instant, his snores following Yamato's.

****

Yamato awoke to a brunette's cheerful, awake face --the least of his expectations. The sun was shining down on them, indicating the start of a new day.

" Wow," Taichi said as his Kittyband perked itself, " I get knocked out by a Priest/Assassin duo and I wake up in a luxurious hotel back with my wonderful master."

The blonde flushed at his reference. The way Taichi said it... he couldn't tell whether it was innocent or mischevious, which made it all the worse. He noticed he was still holding onto Taichi, so he pulled back and faced the opposite direction. On the desk next to the bed, Hawkes stirred, but did not open his eyes.

The ears on Taichi's Kittyband drooped again. His attempt to cheer Yamato up seemed to backfire. He wanted to ease some tension, but in the end, he would just have to spill the beans...

" Yamato, the Goddess of Strength spoke to me again."

That got the blonde's attention. He remained facing the other direction, but he no longer gave an aura of neglect.

" She told me... that I mustn't give in to the darkness... that I must continue to do what I feel is right..."

Yamato snorted. " Still as vague as ever, is she?"

Taichi looked apprehensively at Yamato's back, trying to disregard the heavy red stain on his garment for the moment. " Yamato, are you upset with me?"

" No..." he replied quietly, soothingly, " I'm just... very tired still."

" Are you okay? You took a heavy hit back in the cave."

" Ya, I don't feel any pain on my back at all," Yamato said, wrapping the blanket around himself. " I'm almost positive that the Priest healed me afterwards. I'll just have to wash these clothes."

Taichi "hmmed" thoughtfully. Suddenly, he moved forward, clutching Yamato's side. Yamato gulped and stayed rigid.

" T... Taichi... what..." His mind failed him and drew a complete blank... but only temporarily. He screwed his eyes and settled down. ' Empathy, empathy,' he thought over and over. ' It's only...'

Several hours passed, when Takuya woke them up.

" My rent expires soon," he told them. He was already fully dressed, goggles fitting neatly on his head. " Do you want to go to the pub with me?" he glanced at Taichi. " Oh, I'm Takuya."

" Taichi."

The two Archers packed up (or rather, just picked their own single pack with everything in it) and followed the Thief. There was low activity in the pub compared to the previous night, as it was during the dreary time of day. They chose a table in the center of the pub.

" What are your plans, guys?" Takuya asked as they settled into their seats. His tone was moderate and considerate.

" Um... continue training, I suppose... and continue searching for Ymir," Yamato replied. It took him a while to reach that answer. It seemed they were bounding away from their original journey... He still had no idea why people were after Taichi...

" Ymir?" Takuya said, confused.

" It's a long story, and there's no need for you to worry about it right now. You'll find out some way or another if the problems gets worse," Yamato answered. " What about you? What will you be doing?"

" I'm going for the Assassin class," he replied with a dangerous tint of determination.

They were silent for a moment as Yamato observed the Thief. " Then we'll go with you. There's some good places to train in Morroc anyway."

" Huh?"

Yamato scratched his head. " The Assassin guild's close to Morroc, didn't you know?"

Takuya blinked. " I had no idea. I thought I could just find out eventually..."

" Well, better now than never. Let's go find a warping Acolyte to save us some time from walking all the way."

They left the pub and wandered around the town center. Leftovers from the Falconry Festival were scattered everywhere. Random villagers were picking up the litter rather grudgingly. In front of the capital dynasty building, a large gathering of advanced classes resided.

Yamato called out in the open for Hawkes, who seemed to come out of nowhere as he flew onto the Archer's shoulder. Taichi stared around, still bewildered at the vast amount of people loitering. Even living in Payon all through his life, he had never seen so many fighters, so many classes...

He voiced his concern to Yamato, who replied, " It's a war. Most people would deny it at this point, but it's here for sure. Look at what's happening. Dungeon killing's become a daily activity in Midgard. Big things are happening, but it's chaotic so no one can make any sense of it. Who knows when the next hit will co-"

On the stairs leading to the dynasty building, two archers gave a shout. Taichi watched as the male archer went down to a lower level of stairs and brought out... a branch. The branch suddenly disappeared, replaced by... a sickenly old man carrying a large, dirty box.

" What the-" Takuya started.

" A Zerom," Yamato finished, growning in amusement. " Summonsed through a dead branch."

" I've heard of dead branches," Taichi noted, " Most people get them from Elder Willows... they summon random monsters from the dead."

The female from the upper staircase furiously Double Strafed the monster before it hit the other Archer. The Zerom fell over, his box toppling over his mostly naked body.

" Look, a Priest!" Taichi exlaimed, rudely pointing at a female nearby casting a Sanctuary to heal those around her. Yamato lightly lowered his hand for him after following his direction.

" Let's ask for a warp-"

" Wait! Maybe she can do resurrections!" Taichi cut Yamato off. The brunette set off to meet her without waiting for the others.

" Huh?" Takuya followed slowly, giving Yamato and puzzled look.

" I completely forgot," he said, as if in awe of watching the world crumble before him. " Taichi's mission is to resurrect his mother."

" Hey, guys!" Taichi called, Kittyband perking wildly. The crowd around them stared at him, but he plainly ignored everyone. " Her name's Menchi! She can do resurrections!"

" Is it okay if we wait a bit before going to Morroc?"

Takuya nodded. He was curious as to what this "resurrection" was. When they made it to the Priest, Yamato gaped.

" You look just like Sakura," he said. Indeed, he was right; Menchi had the exact same face and hair, the only difference was that she was wearing a magic wearer's Circlet.

" You know her? She's one of my twin sisters," the Priest commented.

" One of...?" Yamato drooped. ' How many more ARE there?'

As if proving his distress, Menchi stuck a strange leaf in her mouth.

" Oo, a Romantic Leaf," Taichi iddly labelled, " Come! My mother must be back at home."

Menchi, who didn't seem to mind helping out, followed Taichi with a bemused look.

As Yamato succeeded, he passed Takuya's gaze before turning away. The Thief felt a huge wave of déjà vu. Something about Yamato's expression... it was the same on Kouji gave before leaving their room. Now he could understand how Kouji felt, this feeling of loneliness... he saw it through Yamato's eyes.

Taichi's mother had been moved to the Archer's guild, for they deemed leaving her alone at home was too dangerous. The Guild Master escorted them to her room. Immediately, Menchi lifted her hands and emitted a glow.

Yamato blinked several times. " Don't you need a Blue Gemstone?"

Menchi blinked in return as the glowing continued to increase. " Whatever do you mean...? For this Resurrection? Oh, I don't need one."

Taichi wasn't concerned at all, unlike Yamato. " Why not?" the blonde asked.

" Trade Secret, kinda," she replied through clenched teeth. A surge of power passed from her hands into Taichi's mother's body, transferring the glowing as well. The unconscious person suddenly roused.

" Mother!" Taichi cheered. She turned her head, confused.

" Where am I?"

" The Archery guild, mom," he shifted so she was looking at him. " The Vagabond Wolf put you in a state of unconsciousness. This Priestess just resurrected you."

" Menchi's here to serve you," she said courteously.

" Vagabond..." she repeated.

" Yeah, and now there's monsters attacking all over the place! People have been targetting me, and I've been to all sorts of different cities and dungeons! We've met all these strange water creatures, Undead monsters, and even a Baphomet Jr! A Baphomet, mom! Even if it was only a j-"

Yamato cleanly clapped a mouth over Taichi's rapid mouth. " Don't overwhelm her, Taichi. She just got up."

After some light conversation between all of the people, Taichi began to recount the latest events with his mother. Several hours had already passed, and Yamato began to feel restless. It wasn't just that he had trouble socializing...

" If we're holding you back, you can ask Menchi to warp you to Morroc right now. We'll just go later," he told Takuya. Takuya looked reluctant to leave. " We'll meet again some day... when you're an Assassin. It doesn't seem to be a coincidence that we met..."

The Thief nodded, then bide farewell.

" Good kid," Yamato noted, " He reminds me of Taichi somehow..."

Taichi's mother invited him for a meal, which Yamato accepted out of respect. He walked with the two Yagamis to their residence, where the mother already had a meal prepared. Taichi happily dug in, while Yamato took his time. They ate in silence until Yamato asked out of the blue, " Taichi told you about the attacks on him, right, Mrs. Yagami?"

Suddenly, she looked apprehensive. She dug into her food more heavily and chewed more thoroughly. " Yes."

Yamato wasn't sure if he should have brought the subject up. But... better now than never. " What are you going to do about it? It's kind of a big question... but we need big answers."

Taichi glanced at him. " We? Who's we?"

" You and I, Taichi. Certainly staying in Payon is unstrategic, seeing as so many tragic events have occured here. And since you still need a guide-"

" I-" Taichi cut off. He held his lips apart for a moment, as if something had forced him to interupt in the first place. He didn't feel he had the right to argue after Yamato saved him... He went back to eating. " Sorry about that."

Yamato, however, was surprised. He had expected the brunette to object. He changed his gaze to Taichi's mother, who was in deep thought. After several minutes, she sighed.

" I suppose you want to know the story as well, seeing as you've involved yourself in this."

After their meal, Taichi's mother asked them to wait at the table. When she returned from putting their dishes away, she sat down in front of them.

" Many generations ago, our family was the leading cause for the outbreak's end. The war 1,000 years ago ended because..." she paused, wondering how to phrase the next words, " Your great ancestor and several of his companions sealed the MVPs, to make it simple.... thus bringing peace back to Midgard."

" And now that the MVPs are back, they're out to get revenge on the Yagamis? What about the others?" Yamato asked.

" They had no heirs for their families, so their name carried on no further," she answered, " Although this does not necessarily mean that only the Yagamis are involved in this current dilemma. Surely, there is something more..."

' Why didn;t they just finish me off when they captured me?' Taichi wondered, remembering the Payon Dungeon incident.

" The MVPs probably want to find out why you're a threat to them... that's why they don't want to cause extra damage to you yet."

Taichi gulped at the last word.

" I knew about this when I married your father, Taichi... I, as well as the others who have married the Yagami family over the past generations, we all knew. I would have never thought that it would be a problem at this time, though..."

" So the MVPs must be sealed again, right?" Yamato suggested. " Maybe they're the key to finding Ymir." Yamato told her of Ymir's disappearance and the quest to find him.

" There's no guarantee," the mother pondered, " that the MVPs have ANY connections to Ymir."

" We don't know unless we try," Taichi said.

" We'll have to meddle with the MVPs sooner or later, anyway. Their occurence isn't natural," Yamato added statistically.

" Are they not natural?" Taichi's mother said calmly. " Who is to say whether they are a normal part of life or not? They are living beings like we are. Their actions are unforgiveable, but aren't ours too? Look how much land our race alone takes..."

Yamato nodded. " You're right on that... but they still need to be sealed if we want to survive. We have to maintain the balance between humans and MVPs, lest the MVPs will completely destroy mankind."

" That may be natural, too... the destruction of mankind..."

" You're thinking too much, mother... it's scaring me."

She shook her head. " I'm sorry, I got a little deep there. Better to be optimistic and live in the now, ne?"

Yamato sweatdropped, a tad irked at the sudden change of outlook.

" Well, I'm going to stay at the Archer guild and continue to work at the weaponry shop. I bid you luck on your mission, boys."

That took a while for Taichi to process. When he finally did, he uttered, " W-what?"

" You're going to search for Ymir and battle against the MVPs, aren't you?" she explained, " You've grown up, Taichi. It's time to seek your path in life. You DO want to do this, don't you? I can see it in your eyes."

Something inside Yamato stirred. His Angelband twitched again. Why were these decisions affecting him so much?

" Yes, I do want to go... I'll miss you, mom."

Would it matter? Why was Yamato feeling so concerned earlier? He felt relieved now, but was that because of Taichi?

" All right," he said, " Let's get going to Morroc."

Taichi hugged his mother... and took quite a while for Yamato tapped Taichi's shoulder to indicate that they should leave. The more experienced archer took the opportunity to take a good look at Taichi.

He was surprised at himself as he noticed how handsome and cute the brunette was... did he really just think that?!?

' It can't be...' I've lived my life alone, I can't be wanting something else now...' he chastised silently.

As they left Taichi's home, he still had trouble denying it, however...

****

" Takuya's fine on his own, so we should try helping out in the pyramids."

" How many MVPs are there?"

Yamato gasped. Of all things to ask... Well... it's conversation...

" Um... a lot... and there's probably many that we're not aware of yet. Some of the ones near Morroc include Osiris, Pharoah... um..."

" One has been plenty enough for me... and I haven't even met one. Just its followers," Taichi said.

" Neither have I."

Taichi seemed bemused at the confession. " Really?

" Well, there's one thing we can relate with," Yamato said, looking off in the distance. " Ready for the Pyramids? There's some pretty scary stuff there."

Taichi's Kittyband stood up to its full height. " Yah!!!" he shouted... perhaps a little too enthusiastically.

****

They went up and down the pyramid all day. Taichi wanted to know what was on every floor of the pyramid (Yamato restricted him to the middle levels, for he feared what was on the more unexplored levels). They encountered mummies, skeletons and ghouls galore, coupled with the occasionnal naked Isis. Naked as a woman with a snake abdomen...

All in all, it was a tiring day, with all sorts of struggles. Seriously, two average archers would have had a death with to enter the basements of the pyramids, but Taichi and Yamato had managed to live through the 2nd level. Of course, there were various Knights, Assassins and the Hunters there to help them when more than one monster attacked them... but it was difficult for 1st classmen.

Taichi's first impression of Morroc wasn't half bad, either. In this particular area and time period of Sograt Desert, the climate wasn't so dry... and it was actually quite moderate. The midday was slightly unbearable, but the evenings were so perfect...

Large, sandy inns were available for the many travellers coming through Morroc. There was an even balance of economy in this city; one could find a huge assortment of weapons, jewels... or anything else imaginable...

" We'll stick with a middle-class inn... I don't know how long we're staying," Yamato commented as they gazed at the building in front of them. " Let's check this one out."

It was cozy inside, fluffy pillows seeming like simply decorations on the bed. Taichi jumped right in after preparing for the night, then proceeded to roll over to give Yamato some space.

Taichi quite easily slipped an arm around Yamato's side as they settled in. Yamato tensed, but quickly got over his instincts.

" Yamato... I have a question to ask..."

" Hmm? Then ask it."

" Um..." Taichi shifted, adjusting his weight to ease his other arm. " How long have you been living like this?"

" I'm fifteen years old... what more is there?"

" I mean... have you always been wandering around Midgard like this? Never staying in one place for long and hunting to keep a living?"

" Isn't that kind of what you did at home when you say hunting? Hunt Willow all day to keep a living?"

" I was slowly making my way out of Payon..."

" Heh... I just sped things up, then. And you can answer the question yourself."

" Yeah..." Taichi then realized the subject had inadvertedly changed. He still had no clearer idea of Yamato's motives. " Yama, what's the deal with the Falconry Festival? They said you used to be a part of them..." He regretted asking the moment it popped out of his mouth. He didn't mean to be blunt with his questions.

" It's better to sleep, Taichi..."

That ended their talk for the night. Taichi settled in, slightly troubled that Yamato was angry at him. He tried his best to implement his empathy... but he wasn't sure if he could sleep himself. But one never notices when he falls asleep...

****

They carried on in Morroc for several weeks. Each day, they would do something new; some days they would explore the basement of the pyramids, and others they would go to higher levels. Taichi never got tired of it, he was too thrilled at the wonders in the city to think otherwise. During their break times, he was almost always browsing through the hundreds of merchant shops throughout the area... even though it was rather faraway from Prontera, it was still considered a center town. Every which way would lead to a dungeon or other major city.

" It's only the southwest region that remains unexplored. There's evidence that something lays there, but nobody has found out how to access the area."

" Huh? Is there some kind of magical barrier hiding it or something? Why not just break it down?" Taichi asked.

" Well, it's not exactly a physical barrier that's the problem... it's getting through the other obstacles. No one has made it complete there to find the new land beyond that area. The monsters are vicious and mysterious there."

Yamato peered at the person suspiciously.

" Oh, don't worry. I'm just a city guide. I hear the hottest news around the town from the fighters themselves as they rest here."

Taichi took new interest in this tall, formally clothed man. He was covered in a brown suit and a tall cap, a spear in his right hand. He looked like a dull toy soldier.

" Are there group parties being sent out to conquest area?" Yamato queried. The guide nodded. " Where do we sign up to join?"

" You guys? No way! The minimum requirement is to be a second class. Even then, there are certain things you need to survive there. By the time you guys are prepared, the new area will probably have settlements already. A lot of second classmen have gathered here in the past few days."

The blonde made a sound of dejection. Taichi glanced at him, contemplating. Why did Yamato take such sudden interest in the conquest?

" Thanks for the information," Yamato said shortly before brushing Taichi's shoulder. " Let's go back to the Pyramids."

****

Yamato fought more fiercely than ever at the Pyramids following that incident. He was fighting so well that Taichi had trouble keeping up. The Undead canine Verit who tried to loot the remains of the monsters in the dungeon were quickly slaughtered by Yamato's silver arrows. He didn't seem to be angry at anything or anyone, but something was still occupying his mind.

Taichi could feel the tension everywhere they went. He wanted to ask Yamato what was troubling him, but he feared Yamato would give him the cold shoulder again.

As he watched Yamato release his emotions on passing monsters, he made his observations. Even if he was fighting strongly, Yamato was making himself vulnerable. He was clearly open for a mental attack, and Taichi had to take advantage of it. At least the brunette wouldn't use it to hurt the other Archer. He knew his new option... he needed to be assertive.

Goddess of Strength, let me show you my courage.

Yamato's more-than-usual energy drained him earlier that day, which fit right into Taichi's wishes. Yamato flopped onto their bed that night, mind immediately set to sleep, but Taichi had something else in mind.

As usual, he wrapped his arms around Yamato and snuggled in. " Yamato... you're hiding things from me."

" Because it's none of your business," Yamato murmurred, distaste growing in his voice.

" It IS my business. Whatever's bogging up your mind is affecting what we do, and it's not fair for me. Tell me what's going on, Yama."

Yamato didn't stir. They layed there for several minutes, Taichi patiently waiting until he decided that the blonde wasn't going to answer. " Yama..."

" Don't call me that," he said gruffly, yet softly. He shifted so that he was staring up at the ceiling. " Taichi... I... I've never told anyone about my past because I don't want it to affect those around me."

" But it IS affecting me... because it's bothering you. It'd help to talk about it."

" Why should you care? I don't get you..."

Taichi could hear the frustration in Yamato's words. " For one thing, you're not fighting as you normally do, which throws off my rhythm... but other than that... I don't know. Just tell me, Yama.

The blonde didn't seem to care about the name this time.

" You're not going to give up, are you..."

Taichi smiled into Yamato's back. " Nnn."

So Yamato gave in. He told Taichi of his past, of the suffering he endured as a natural-born Hunter. Being one didn't sound bad... but in reality, all other Hunter classmen looked down upon them. Perhaps it was envy; natural Hunters are pure-bred, they have 100% capability born within them, let alone what personal motivation would bring.

Yamato's unchangeable ability hindered his social standing. His family had forced him to attend novice training in his early years. The other children pointed at his young falcon. They were scared of it, afraid of such a different being in their premesis. The poor, young Yamato didn't understand why his peers would turn him away when he approached them, little Hawkes chirping on his shoulder.

" Hey guys, I just taught Hawkes a really neat-"

" Get that bird AWAY from me!"

" Eww! Germs!"

" Why don't you go play with your pet somewhere else?"

As he grew older, he came to the answer that he wasn't good enough for his peers. One random day, he packed up enough supplies to let him survive on his own and he left Payon. He had no one to say farewell to except his younger brother, who was too young to know or care about the news. He knew his parents didn't care... they put all of their attention to Takeru, the first in his family to break out of the natural Hunter's curse. A falcon was not born with him.

He remembered struggling as Taichi had in the beginning; even the simple Spore was a challenge. When he had become skilled enough, he joined the Falconry Festival, which provided a wealthy accommodation with its income. He had hoped that he would be accepted with his skills... yeah, right.

It was no different than at novice training... people made fun of his Archer clothing, and nobody sought to spend time with him. Hawkes would often get bullied by the other falcons, and after one life-threatening incident, Yamato could take it no longer. He would rather struggle in the wild terrain than suffer such tyranny.

And he was much happier that way. He travelled all around the world, discovering the ups and downs of every place and gaining more experience than he ever could at the Falconry Festival.

He didn't need anyone to survive. He didn't want to settle anywhere... he couldn't depend on anyone. And in return, no one tried. He thought he could be satisfied with that.

" A new settlement brings new permanent job, and a home..." Yamato said to complete his story. He let Taichi figure out the rest.

" You want a home..." Taichi said softly. His arms curled around the blonde more securely, hoping to give his comfort.

" I..." Caught up in his emotions, Yamato turned over and buried himself in Taichi's embrace. He was shaking, finally releasing what had been building up inside him for the past years. Taichi could only remain still, until he thought of something. He had seen his parents use this, but he had never tried it himself. But...

" Yamato," he started, pulling back ever so slightly. " Is it okay if I try something? It might... might make you feel better."

The blonde found no reason to argue. He stared into the Archer's eyes with his full trust. Taichi seemed more nervous than usual when he asked this...

" Promise me you won't be afraid of what I do," Taichi said, " It's a much stronger form of empathy, but it's less often used for obvious reasons."

Yamato glanced at the face in front of him. " I promise. What reasons?"

" Let me show you."

All of a sudden, Yamato could see the complete softness behind Taichi's eyes as they bored into him. Awestruck, he barely noticed when Taichi placed a hand on his cheek. As the brunette continued to get closer until their noses were touching, he paused. Taichi waited for a response, and all Yamato could do was close his eyes and take it.

High heaven of the gods... he had never felt anything so tender and caressing, loving and thoughtful. Taichi's lips on his felt more wonderful than anything he had ever experienced. Oh, gods... Yes... this was what he wanted. The summit of his life was...

He was thoroughly enjoying himself for a just a few moments when Taichi broke the gesture. Yamato opened his eyes and found the brunette's expression unreadable.

A curse word flowed under Yamato's breath. ' Was that all just empathy, or...' He didn't know.

" Aa..." Taichi said, creating a noise without using his vocal chords. " I'm sorry... I shouldn't have been so... perhaps I'm not ready for that form of empathy. My skills are still developing..."

Now Yamato was confused. Then what were those feelings? If they weren't from empathy, then... but he couldn't be sure. Perhaps it was really Taichi's feelings that were flowing into him, or...

" Let's just go to sleep, Yama."

Unsure of what else he should say, Yamato answered with a slow grunt. " Yeah... good night, Taichi."

" ...Good night." Taichi placed his arm back over Yamato's side, gripping less than he usually did.

A great weight had been lifted off of Yamato's shoulders, but now it seemed he had a different one to replace it.

****

Can I say... angst? XD Oops.

Splash
gottaito.cjb.net