Digimon Fan Fiction / Ragnarok Fan Fiction ❯ Where Fate Turns ❯ Chapter 8: Zingaro ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
****
Where Fate Turns
Chapter 8: Zingaro
****

Updated the 1st chapter information again. XD

Apparently, some people think I'm a newbie to the game... I assure you, no way in hell am I n00b. =D It may just seem like that because Taichi is a newbie in the beginning of the game, and even though Yamato talks big, he actually has a long way to go as well. I played iRO for 2 months, cRO for 6 months, and my current private server for over a year. While I wasn't around for the insanity of alpha pawnage, I know enough to be a GM (wouldn't want to be one without my dear Serg, though XD). It's just my personal issues that keep me from being one. XD; Currently, we're on a mission to get a +10 Formal Suit to be a Dark Lord Card on. Statistically, it takes 2605 tries to get +10.... 2605 Formal Suits.... and that's only statistically. If upgrading fails on the way to +10 (Upgrading equipment is 100% guaranteed up to +4, and then the rates drop exponentially), the Formal Suit disappears completely. Plus, Formal Suits can't be bought anywhere, only certain monsters drop them rarely. >_>; Upgrading is depressing.

Lots of good reviews! Lots of stuff I want to answer =D

Sillie: Yama has more in store for him... */gg*

Crystal Ketchum Darklight: Continuing! =3

Catgirl Rahen: Solely agree with that. Happy endings *_*;

KawaiiKaren: "That would be fun if Takuya ran into Kouji that doesn't matter and Kouji wants to rape him or something." Tbbthh! You have no idea how close that is to what I had been plotting. *huggles you for the thought*. XD I haven't planned any more parts with Takeru/Hikari or Sora/Mimi, but it sounds plausible =3 I really like your random thinking. ^_^

Dragi: Lots of Takuya, yes!

sakura blossoms4: Thanks!

SmileyYaoiChick: Lol, if I could, I'd stay up to 3-6 am every day reading yaoi fics. Confession... I did that quite often during the summer... >_> It was almost sinful... but sooo worth it!

Lady Moon3: Indeed a good question to ponder. XD Record? How long can I keep it?

Linnda: Yes, I want to write more scenes like that one in the end of 7... I will! XD

Mireya-chan: Wow, I'm honored to have your first review! *glomps* Thank you so much!

Keiito Ishida: Sora~~~~ =3 Yes, Taito is best! XD Hope you have fun.

Devina: I added a few elements to let the plot move. About the talking, I assume a majority have the ability since pets have the ability to talk at intimate level (and damn, they're LOUD and BLABBY @_@).

Kail-chan: I know Stilettos are in Morroc, but Taichi also made it quite clear that he had never been outside Payon. I know from experience that kind of n00bieism that Taichi had... I stayed in Payon for my first month in RO because I didn't KNOW anything about the other cities. It wasn't until the friends I met in iRO invited me to warp hop with them to Geffen that I found out that I had a lot to learn.

Game explanation corner: The only thing that dodges Critical hits are Perfect Dodge.
Lex Divina: Silences opponents.

****

~Ants can be horrific creatures, as mindless as they are~

****

Takuya didn't think he would return to Morroc as early as he did. He came back in a very different condition as well...

Where was he supposed to start? He had no idea... surely picking on Picky wasn't the path to becoming an Assassin.

He visited the last area he and Kouji had occupied, surprised to see that the area was newly renovated and that merchants had set up shop there. In fact, much of the city was occupied now. How did Morroc change so drastically in the course of a few days? He didn't want to spend much time pondering that, so he went to the place he always traveled to when exchanging Picky feathers. Fortunately, he found familiar faces there.

' At least this hasn't changed...'

" Takuya! It's been a while. Something going on?" the owner of the shop greeted.

" Yes... I need to know where one becomes an Assassin," he said, cutting straight down to business.

The other customers jerked their heads to stare at him. The store owner gaped. Immediately, Takuya began having second thoughts... Had he said something wrong?

" Are you... joining the Comodo Rush?" the store owner said apprehensively.

" What's the Comodo Rush?"

" Oh, oh," the tall man behind the counter tottered a bit, showing great relief. " Maybe you haven't heard. A path to a new area has been discovered southwest of Morroc. 2nd class parties are forming all around this city to conquer it. There will be a vast chance of prosperity with this discovery..." He played with his beard, deep in thought, " Only the strongest will make it..."

" Strong..." Takuya repeated, savoring the word. " No, I have different reasons for becoming an Assassin. Where might I do that?"

" The Assassin Guild is southeast of here, quite aways. Just follow the Hode and you'll find find a large pyramidal building. They're gigantic sand worms, basically. I'd be extremely careful, though. Assassins don't have a reputation for being kind creatures."

" Hmm..."

Compared to Payon, Takuya's voyage to the Assassin Guild was uneventful... in most ways. He found Hode creatures quickly... they traveled under the sand peacefully. However, there were many people around attacking them, provoking them to pop out of the ground to retaliate. Giant sand worms...

However, the Hode weren't living long enough to lead Takuya in a decent direction, so he stressed that he wasn't going to the right way. Within time, he could see the pyramidal building in the distance. Walloping for joy, he ran all the way to the pyramid's first steps.

He caught a glimpse of an Assassin killing off a Hode trying to get into the Pyramid. The Assassin attacked with enormous speed, weilding two daggers in his hands. Takuya proceeded up the stairs.

He was about to enter inside the pyramid's opening at the top, but- a blade at his neck arrested him.

" I'll make this quick and painless. What's your purpose here?" a feminine voice growled behind him.

Takuya felt the hairs on the back of his neck raise where the voice impacted him.

" I'm here to become an Assassin," he stated nervously.

" Why?" It was more like a command than a query.

" So I can face up to the Moonlight and... save someone."

The other was silent. She had sensed his hesitation, and Takuya had sensed her sense.

" A lover."

" That's more like it." She withdrew the blade from what Takuya could tell was a Gladius, a weapon slightly weaker than his Damascus, but more versatile. " No vacancy," she said simply, twirling the weapon around her finger several times before stuffing it into the sheath on her belt. The wind from the high elevation swayed her long, blue ponytail. She looked vaguely familiar...

" Huh?"

" This guild doesn't have any more room for Assassins," she explained, " Try a different class."

She tilted a hand to her hip and started to walk into the building past him.

Takuya hadn't even thought of this possibility, but now that he was aware of it, it angered him. " I can't do that," Takuya growled, clenching his fists.

She cocked her head and looked down; Takuya looked quite small compared to the older lady. She gave him a half-amused smile. " Then what can you do? The only way to get in the guild is if someone else quits or if you qualify over someone."

" Then I'll do that! I'll qualify over someone!" Takuya barked, " Like you!"

The female would have been fine with the other comments, but that last one...

" I dare you to try it," she said, a low grumbling in her voice. " Right now, you and me."

" Aa!" Takuya agreed, fire in his eyes. He brought his oldest and most trusted Damascus out of its sheath and lunged towards the female Assassin.

She vanished before his eyes. The Thief didn't even have time to react-- the blade was at his neck again. Not to be taken by by the same trap a second time, he forcefully pulled back and bumped into her. With one massive movement, he slashed horizontally as he turned around.

But something seemed wrong, he realized. He felt an overwhelming gust in his mind; he could sense it... every bit of the gap between him and the female Assassin. It was as if they had different time senses, as if his was constantly in slow motion and the female was able to see it as so.

She flipped backwards, dodging the blade by a good several feet, and got back on her feet, unfazed as ever.

" Now you see the difference between us," she said knowingly, putting her Gladius away. " That was my slowest weapon, by the way."

The SLOWEST? Takuya could hardly believe it. It thoroughly pissed him off. Was he really that far away compared to Kouji?

" 'Che-" Enranged, he launched out again, this time holding his Buckler in his left hand.

Again she dodged, and again, and again. She was getting slightly annoyed at his persistance.

" Hey, kid," she started to say. The last thing she expected was Takuya throwing his Buckler, spike and all, at her like a shuriken. Even though it was a massive object, Takuya had no problem concentrating his power and accuracy on her. It scraped her side. " Wha..."

He didn't stop there, as the feeling he had encountered in Payon Dungeon overtook him. When he had fought that blue Munak...

Slash! Slash! Slash! Three slices across her abdomen revealing skin underneath bandaged material. She stared in shock. Gritting her teeth, she pulled a sword sheathed on her back...

It was so quick, even Takuya had not seen her draw it; the sword was pointed at him.

" Pretty good speed you showed there," she complimented. " You'd fare well against average 2nd classmen."

" Including you?"

She smiled. " I'm not average, hun. I just pretend to be when I can. By the way, the name is Tsunade. What's yours?"

" Takuya."

" Oh yeah... to be honest, I'm not in the Assassin Guild... I mean, I'm not a part of it. It's standard for all classmen to start in their respective class guilds before they prove themselves better fit for a different guild.

" There are other guilds?" Takuya asked, bewildered.

Tsunade scratched her long, pony-tailed hair atop of her scalp. " Well, yah... the starting limit to a guild is 16 people. The classmen guilds don't have limits because they recruit anyone who meets the requirements.

The brunette frowned. ' She sooo lied to me before. I'm so naïve...'

" You might want to train a bit more, however. You barely meet the Assassin requirements."

" You said I'd do well against average 2nd classmen! Who are you to judge me?" Takuya said, defiancy still in his attitude. Tsunade simply ignored it.

" You might not like me now for telling you this, but if you want to become more than the average 2nd classman, follow my advice. Say, do you want to join the Comodo Rush? It's the perfect opportunity to boost your strength."

" Yeah, right," he muttered, " Only 2nd classmen are allowed to go there anyhow."

" That's what THEY say," she said, curling the ends of her lips. " I met a fiesty bunch of people who came here from Geffen. It's a strange mix of people, but I'm sure they'd want to have a Thief in their group. Go before they take off! To Morroc!"

" Hmm?"

Even before he consented, Tsunade grabbed him and tore her way down the pyramid.

****

" You again!"

Takuya started wide-eyed at the accusing finger from the female Archer in front of him.

" You're..."

" Izumi! How can you forget my name?!?"

" You don't seem to remember mine."

" Of course I don't!"

" ..."

But then he recognized the two Wizards in the corner of the assembled group, Junpei and Tomoki.

" We don't have any Acolytes with us so we'll have to take some precautions," the leading Wwordsman noted. " Although these two Wizards here have Healing Clips. It's enough to keep themselves alive, at least... even as 2nd class, Wizards aren't well-suited for aggressive monsters.

Junpei pouted. " That's why we're stuck with guys like you... we're not good enough on our own yet. Peh."

" I don't believe we've had a proper introduction, even though I've been on your team before," Takuya offered, laying out a hand towards the slightly shorter swordsman. " I'm Takuya."

" Shinya," the other said, accepting the handshake. " Welcome to the party. Come and go as you like. We're all in this together eventually, anyway."

Suddenly, a wave of complaining traveled through the crowd around them. Takuya looked to see many large ice stalagmites surrounding the group like a dungeon.

" Hey! Quit the Ice Walling! I'm trying to get through! I can't move!" was the general gidst of what they were saying.

Junpei sighed. " Tomoki..."

" Sorry! I couldn't help it! I love doing this!"

" Wait for the battlefield, kid." With that, the older Wizard flapped his hand towards the ground near the Ice Wall and called out, " Heaven's Drive!"

The ground jutted upwards, almost like an earthquake, interupting the work of the ice, which evaporated more quickly than usual. Relieved, the crowd continued on.

The Swordsman eyed a group of second classmen heading south. " We better go fast before everyone else beats us. We may not be first to reach whatever's in Comodo, but it'll be a waste to miss out."

Takuya, however, wasn't paying attention. He was making his own observations... The Merchant selling Flu Masks, people begging to be healed, the person offering money for a tanker... the fact that Shinya looked very much like him when he was younger..

" Sigh... I wish Kouichi would keep his promises, it's gonna struggle without an Aco..."

Takuya blinked and looked away, a figment of memory pressuring him. Kouichi... with Kouji... how had that happened?

He raised a lightly calloused hand to his forehead.

" Something wrong, Takuya? We're moving out now," Shinya queried. Izumi and the other female Archer were loudly gossiping as they sailed through the Morroc crowds.

Takuya shook his head. " No... I'm fine..." Kouji, oh Kouji...

****

" Moonlight, my mistress..."

" Don't call me mistress, because I'm NOT Mistress. That cocky bee..." the yellow figure chastised, sitting lazily on a temple statue. " Well, beauty IS only skin deep. As are all of her Hornet kind."

" Moonlight..."

" Yes, I know. You failed to bring the boy, didn't you?" She closed her eyes in contempt, resting her head on her plush-gloved wrist.

The Assassin and Priest before her bowed their heads, kneeling. " That is correct," the Priest confirmed.

" In the end, all of you humans will be gone, you know that? You should be glad I even bothered to spare you two. But there are things I expect in return..." Her legs were crossed as she laid back, immersed in the almighty stance. " You can't even bring one human to me..."

" Moonlight, we were ambused on our return here. The boy has protectors."

Moonlight looked at the two in front of her with a strange tint in her crystal blue eyes, which shined brightly in the dark depths of the cave. Her foxlike ears twitched. " Protectors... then get rid of them."

" Yes, Moonlight."

" Hurry and get out of my sight before I sic a Ninetail on you."

" Yes, Moonlight."

" But before you leave... it would be best if I polished my tools. Come here, boys. I have presents."

She ruled a large amount of Payon Dungeon, the center abandonned shrine being her living room...

Casual, sleek, foxy, thrifty, young. Only those who have met her and lived to tell about it knew her innocence was merely a façade...

****

" Hey, wasn't there another Thief with you?" Izumi asked. For the moment, the group was walking through an ancient temple of sand. " What happened to him?"

Seeing as they had not done anything but walk endlessly for the past hour, Takuya told them his story starting from Payon.

" Aww... poor thing," the two Archers cooed at the same time.

" I'm pretty pissed at Moonlight... she's definitely not going to like my comeback..."

The small wizard Tomoki looked at him worriedly.

" I doubt you'll be able to take her down by yourself, no matter how strong you get."

" Who are you to say that about me?" Takuya retorted, clearly indicating his rudeness.

" You didn't go with us to the 3rd floor of Geffen Tower, did you? We met Doppelganger up there..."

" Who?"

" They wouldn't even allow us to go NEAR him," Izumi said, pouting. " But I guess it was okay since Doppie-chan was beating on Sefirot. Hehe."

" Doppelganger," Junpei added, sounding like an automaton, " One of the most vicious MVPs on record. He looks just like an average swordsman, but he can kill like no tomorrow. No one knows what his true appearance his is... if he HAS one."

" He was known to kill thousands daily in the last war," the small wizard continued, " If it hadn't been for the female wizard's Ice Wall, we would have all died. That's what I'm learning Ice Wall now. It's so useful!"

" Heh," Junpei mused, " Jupitel Thunder is more versatile in the end. Once I get more dex, it's all over for the losers."

" It sucks right now, though."

" Shut up, Tomoki."

Takuya smiled, enjoying the Wizard's idle argument. He could finally see the opening to the huge temple, too. It was still bright outside, but now he could see clear evidence of vegetation from the green tint. Would the monsters be tamer? Or more vicious... his skin tingled to find out. Every step got him closer to Kouji, even if it meant increasing the physical gap between them...

****

He didn't have to wait long to find out. As soon as they passed the crevice, the other female Archer (Melissa) shrieked as something grabbed her shoulders and pulled her off the ground.

A huge creature with giant talons, bird-like features and a lion's abdomen... a Gryphon.

Melissa struggled frantically, bringing her arms up to hit the furred monster. The others just gaped for a moment, when Takuya noticed something else...

There were other flying creatures weilding bows and arrows in the back... In a flash, he brought his Buckler out and ran in front of the group-- just in time to block an onslaught of arrows. Shinya snapped out of his amazed trance at the sound of arrows clanging against metal, then brought out his own shield.

" I'll hold them off, you guys save Melissa!"

Takuya took out his most trustworthy Damascus out once more and lunged forward. The flying creatures didn't even notice him closing in; their large watery eyes were fixated on seemingly nothing. Slashing through its stomach, slashing through the neck... the creature's head literally popped off and disappeared as if it had been deflated. It was a bit amusing...

The Wizards were too occupied healing Melissa to have time to set up their usual battle plan. The Gryphon's talons were digging deep into her shoulders, and although she came out unscratched because of the heals, it didn't block the pain she was in...

Izumi desperately shot at the Gryphon, but none of the arrows seemed to hit... the Gryphon had tough skin. Insanely tough... even a direct hit from Shinya's sword was weak on it. He kept hitting however, in hope...

The other flying creatures (Gargoyles) were taken down easily, and seeing Melissa in trouble, he slashed at the Gryphon. He couldn't break through either... it irritated him. In frustration, he yanked the Gryphon's lion-like tail with such force that the Gryphon squawked, releasing its talons. Melissa quickly made her distance from the immense danger. She brought out her own bow and retaliated, standing side-to-side with Izumi.

Free from healing, the Wizards set up their battle layout. Junpei's Jupitel Thunder casting was slow, but it allowed time for the other team members to react. Takuya and Shinya stayed closer to the Wizards just as Tomoki spread Ice Walls around the Gryphon. It seemed they would be safe for the moment...

****

A sharpened blade, a washed surface, a refined shine...

The dark-haired Assassin glorified the beauty of his new Katar, a permanent gift from his master. Moonlight had boasted about the quality of the weapons specifically, saying the Soldier Skeletons in her lair had personally supplied the cards compounded onto it.

The Triple Critical Katar... Crit Katar for short. Moonlight had also supplied them with various other equipment to give them more power. Moonlight gave Kouichi and Kouji an outlandish explanation about critical hits.

" They pierce through defense. They deal the maximum amount of damage every time. Best thing... crits rarely miss."

He wanted to test it. He wanted to know how powerful he could be, what limits he could breach. What he could do... but he didn't feel that there was anything worthy to fight him in Moonlight's lair except Moonlight herself... which he should not have been thinking about in the first place.

" Moonlight, permission to test these on a challenge," he said in bleak, open area of the cave.

" Permission granted. In fact, I know the perfect place... Kouichi, go with him."

" Where would this place be?" Kouichi asked, sitting up from his kneeling position.

" It's far away from here, but I'm sure you can handle it," she materialized seemingly out of nowhere, lifting a hand. " Say hello to Gryphon for me. Bring me a pair of his talons. I need some jewelry." With that command, she snapped her fingers, smirking as the two males disappeared in front of her.

****

They had been smacking around the monster for a good half hour with no progress. Magic seemed to be the only thing doing any damage at all. Tomoki was too occupied with Ice Walls to attack. Junpei's Thunder attacks had little effect on the bird, despite the monstrocity of the electricity. None of the weapons could harm it...

Since Takuya's daggers couldn't reach it, he had to resort to throwing rocks. He didn't want to be useless, and at least the rocks didn't just bounce off like most of the arrows did. He just wanted to move on...

Suddenly, the monster yelped, its beak opening larger than ever. Something was on its back, hindering its flight. The wings wouldn't support it anymore, and it clattered to the ground, still surrounded by Ice Walls.

Takuya couldn't believe his eyes.

" Gryphon found," one of the persons on the monster stated dully. " Go ahead, sin."

Kouji rose from a crouched position, as if he was sprouting out of a flower, his weapons lying across his chest.

" Triple Crit..." the Assassin mumbled. Everybody could clearly tell... he wanted to kill.

It was Takuya who couldn't take it. The feeling was so familiar, so welcome, yet so undesired...

" Ahh!" the brunette wailed, tending to his stinging head. He wasn't just shocked to see Kouji, his aura was affecting him... However, he was able to watch as the Assassin faced up to the Gryphon and start tearing the beast apart...

Feathers and blood flew... the Gryphon's skin was like poultry meat to Kouji's Katars. The Gryphon struggled against him, trying to bite his arm off, but Kouji easily sliced its neck, rendering his offense dead. The Gryphon wouldn't live much longer.

Takuya watched in horror as Kouji butchered one of the Gryphon's limbs, grabbing the bloody talons with one swift movement.

The Assassin stood up slowly, changing his gaze from the dying Gryphon to Shinya's group. The bottom half of his face was covered by a mask... covered in red stain. He caught Takuya's eye.

Takuya shrank back... never had he felt more intimidated in all of his life. He completely forgot his other team members... all he could recognize was the immediate threat. Then, he saw the Ice Wall surrounding Kouji and the Priest. He had a chance.

The Thief bolted in the opposite direction. The Assassin moved at that split second, viciously slashing through the Ice Wall. It was tough ice, however. Tomoki made a small noise and thickened the Ice Wall. Whoever the newcomers were, they had stolen their kill and he wanted revenge. He didn't know how deadly the duo could be to other humans...

But Shinya's group wasn't their target, the duo recognized. Still within cast range, Kouichi shouted " Lex Divina!" and reached his hand out to everyone outside the wall. Kouji broke through more Ice Walls. Tomoki tried to cast more... but to no avail. His spells simply wouldn't activate.

" What the?" Tomoki exclaimed.

Kouji broke through the last Ice Wall and blasted past the others. Shinya and the others didn't even see him. Kouichi soon followed, easily dodging Shinya's block and moving towards the runaway Thief.

Takuya ran past dozens of exotic trees, passing various monsters that attempted to chase him as well. He could run past those, but he could already see Kouji in his range...

" Shit," he uttered hopelessly. He knew one thing he could do as last measure.

Kouji stopped in his tracks when he blinked and found the brunette out of his sight.

" Kouichi, he went into hiding," he said, analyzing the area.

The Priest didn't even nod back. " Ruwach!" A rush of blue light ran out of his hand, surrounding them like a firey torpedo. The brunette didn't appear.

" Go up farther. He wasn't that far ahead."

Takuya couldn't help breathing heavily. He was going to get caught... While in his Thief's hiding skill, he wasn't able to move around. And that blue light...

He had to run again. He tried...

Kouji had him... He had a hold of his shoulders. Takuya wouldn't be able to do much about it.

And Kouji was still gazing at him with chilling eyes. Still containing life, yet... missing emotion. That hurt beyond all other thoughts... even more than what could happen to him in the hands of the enemy. Kouji had forgotten him. Kouji wasn't himself.

" The location of the Archer named Taichi," Kouichi stated, " We will set you free if you provide us with that information."

" I don't know where he is!" Takuya cried, struggling to get away from the menacing grip. He didn't want to see Kouji like this, have him touching him as he was...

It wouldn't go his way... Kouji shoved him against a thick tree and met face-to-face. Then... neither of them knew how it happened, but somehow... they pulled each other close so the only thing seperating them was Kouji's Assassin mask.

Not far away from the sight, Kouichi clutched his chest. Something was obviously physically paining him as he took a step back to support his abruptly weak legs.

" Retreat. NOW!" the Priest shouted, casting his hand out. " Warp Portal!" A bright pillar of light surrounded Kouji. He disappeared in the pillar, with Kouichi trailing immediately inside.

Takuya was almost tempted to follow them, but the light ceased before he could recuperate from his contact with Kouji. Even though it was hardly real and the mask covered it up, that kiss felt very nice...

He replayed it in his mind-- holding onto the skin-tight bandages on his lithe back, that agile curve carved perfectly at every angle, the heat trapped between their yearning bodies...

Takuya had to hide his blush as his other party members caught up to him.

" Takuya, what was all that about? Who were those guys? Where did they go?" Shinya questioned, blabbing like a maniac. He held a mixed expression of confusion, anger and desperation.

... As did Takuya. " I wish I knew."

****

Sorry if that bored you, it had to be done. ^^; Yaoi content only escalates beyond this point, for fair warning. >D Please review!

Splash
gottaito.cjb.net