Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ A Digi-Tale [FFC] ❯ Chapter 4 - revised ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A Digi-Tale, Chapter 4

by Time Lady

-----------------------

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon. I'm just borrowing them for the duration of this story.

-----------------------

The next two days were pretty much the same for Takeru. He spent the mornings seeing the fair and the afternoons performing with Wizardmon. He continued to have dinner with the nobility. After being incredibly shy the first time, he started to feel more relaxed. Princess Hikari did her best to set her mysterious tenshi at ease.

Princess Hikari felt like her day dragged. Mornings were back in studies with Sir Koushirou and Sir Ken. Afternoons were spent with Lady Mimi in etiquette. At least Viscount Iori was a more agreeable dance partner than Lord Daisuke. Daisuke partnered with Miyako. Lady Jun was thrilled to have a chance to dance with Yamato, while he appeared the opposite.

The princess' day didn't really improve until dinner time, when she could be with the mysterious tenshi. She longed to see him without the helmet, but respected his privacy. He was apparently extremely worried that someone would find out his real identity. However, she treasured the time she could spend with him.

The week passed all too quickly for Takeru and Hikari. Finally came the time for the grand performance. Nobles filed into the royal theater. Takeru was in full costume on stage. Ribbons had been wound in Pegasusmon's mane and tail.

The show was twice as long as any they had done before. Things appeared, disappeared, and levitated. This was only a small portion of the tricks performed. By the time the show ended, the performers were exhausted. They didn't have much of a chance to rest afterwards, for the grand ball followed an hour after the performance.

For once, Takeru didn't seem out of place, for the grand ball was a costume ball. All of the nobility dressed in various costumes. When he saw Princess Hikari, he couldn't help smiling. The princess had dressed as an angel, with elegant feathered wings and a glittering mask.

"Why don't you ask the princess to dance?" prompted Wizardmon.

"But I. . . ."

"You can't do any worse than Lord Daisuke over there," said Wizardmon, who gestured to where the princess and Lord Daisuke were dancing. Daisuke was in chain mail, which was making him clumsier than usual. Hikari became irritated and walked away from her partner. "Go on."

Hikari was furious with Daisuke. He had nearly ripped the skirt of her white satin gown with those chain mail boots of his. Turning around, she saw the tenshi in front of her, his visible face somewhat red.

"Your highness," he stammered, "Would you do me the honor of a dance?"

Hikari's expression softened. "I am the one who would be honored, my tenshi," she replied.

Takeru tried to remember everything the Floramon had taught him. He became extremely self-conscious and worried about stepping on Hikari's dress or feet. She realized how nervous he was. "Relax," she whispered.

"I'm sorry," he said. "This is the first time I've ever really danced with anyone."

"You're doing fine," she replied. "I'm certain Lady Mimi would be impressed."

"You're just saying that."

"Perhaps. But I truly haven't enjoyed dancing with anyone so much in a long time."

They danced together for three more dances. "I would like a little fresh air," said Hikari. She put her hand on his arm, indicating she wanted him to join her. They walked out of one of the glass doors onto a patio, then into the garden. "You leave tomorrow, don't you?"

"I must."

"What will you do?"

"Pegasusmon and I will return to our mundane little existence."

Hikari stopped in a secluded part of the garden. She turned to face Takeru. "Stay here."

"I wish I could." Takeru's voice dropped lower. "An angel can only exist on the mortal plain for so long, even if it is amongst nobility."

"Is this for the same reason you can not take off the helmet?" Hikari rested her hand upon his chest.

"I am afraid so. If I could stay here with you, my princess, I would never leave." He reached up to brush some stray hairs away from her face, then stroked her cheek. She held his hand there.

"And there is nothing my father could do?" Her hand slowly moved up to his neck.

"No." Takeru felt her hand slowly drawing his head down towards hers. He didn't resist.

"Why can't I convince you to stay?" Her face turned up to his.

"Because you are a princess, and I am a. . ." Takeru hesitated. His face was centimeters from hers.

"An angel," she finished his sentence for him. "My angel, my tenshi." Hikari stood on her toes and closed the gap, her lips brushing his.

Soft, tentative. . . Takeru had never felt anything like this before in his life. Somehow he felt Hikari hadn't either. Her hand on his neck tried to draw him closer. Gently he felt the tip of her tongue brush his lips. He parted his lips, allowing the kiss to deepen. Hikari felt like she could stay like this for hours. She wished she could freeze the moment.

Takeru wanted this moment to go on forever. But warning bells sounded in his head. People would be looking for them if they were away too long. Slowly he pulled away. "We need to return to the party," he said, his voice deep with emotion.

Hikari looked at him for some kind of sign. Reaching up, she felt a tear on his cheek rolling from under the helmet. She brushed it away, then nodded and allowed Takeru to lead her back to the ball.

----

The next morning, Hikari awoke after the most incredible dream of a golden haired, blue eyed angel making love to her on a cloud. Once she was fully awake, her mood fell. Her tenshi was supposed to leave this very afternoon. She might never see him again. Glancing outside, she saw the sky was as gray as her mood. She summoned a servant with her breakfast, then began to dress.

Gatomon awoke with a yawn. She noticed the princess was awake and dressed. "Why are you wearing your riding clothes?"

"I wanted to try and go for a ride before the weather turned foul."

"Just go back to bed."

"You go back to bed if you want to. I am going for a ride." The servants knocked at the door with trays of breakfast, cutting off any further conversation. The smell of the food roused the Digimon. Of course Gatomon wouldn't allow Hikari to go alone.

After breakfast, they went down to the stables. Prince Taichi, Lord Michael, Sir Koushirou, and Viscount Yamato were having their horses saddled. "You are not going riding now," said Taichi.

"Who says I'm not," sniffed Hikari as she directed her own horse to be saddled.

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning," muttered Yamato under his breath. Hikari shot him a withering glare.

"I say you're not," returned Taichi. "It looks like rain today."

"All the more reason to ride now and not later," returned Hikari. Once her horse was ready, the groom helped her mount. Gatomon sprung up behind her. Without a backward glance she took off at a gallop.

----

"TAKERU WAKE UP!" said Wizardmon, shaking the young man.

"I'm up. . . ." he muttered. "Waz wrong?"

"Dress quickly and digivolve Patamon," said Wizardmon. "There is an ill wind and danger in the air."

Takeru said nothing. While Wizardmon woke Patamon, Takeru grabbed one of his suits. By now he automatically dressed with the mask, helmet, and wings. Takeru glanced out the window and saw the dark clouds. A chill ran through his bones. He saw a small figure riding out of the palace grounds. The princess. . . . a few moments later she was followed by 6 more riders. Patamon was still half asleep when Takeru called "Digi-armor energize!"

"What gives?" muttered Pegasusmon through his yawn. Takeru and Wizardmon leapt onto his back.

"I'll explain on the way."

Hikari urged her horse to a gallop. Over her shoulder she saw her brother, his friends, and a couple of guards trying to catch up. She urged her horse faster, passing the palace gates. In her haste, she didn't notice the clouds becoming blacker, swirling around.

A short distance behind, the others realized something was very wrong. They spurred their horses on. Pegasusmon flew from the palace window in the same direction, his powerful wings easily overtaking the others.

The black clouds began to come together and take a form. Lightning flashed, thunder crashed, and evil laughter echoed. Suddenly, a figure appeared in front of Hikari, startling her horse. The horse reared and threw Hikari and Gatomon to the ground.

"So nice of you to drop in Princess," said a voice. The figure loomed over her.

"HIKARI!" shouted Taichi as the figure grabbed Hikari and Gatomon.

"STAR SHOWER!" The figure shielded his face as glowing stars rained down on him from Pegasusmon's hooves. Despite the pain, he held on to his catch.

"CRIMSON LIGHTING!" returned the figure. Pegasusmon narrowly avoided the blast.

"LET HER GO MYOTISMON!" shouted Wizardmon.

"You're too late Wizardmon! The princess is mine!" Evil laughter filled their ears. Suddenly, the one Wizardmon called Myotismon disappeared, the princess and Gatomon with him.

"NOOO!!!" shouted Taichi and Takeru in unison.

----

Wizardmon forcefully made the men and their Digimon return to the palace, where they gave the king and queen the awful news.

"Myotismon is one of the most evil Digimon known." said Wizardmon.

"But what would he want with Hikari?" asked the queen tearfully.

"Too much," replied Leomon. "She is not only daughter of the king and queen, but she is also the heir to the throne. We must go after them."

"Wizardmon, will you help us?" asked the king.

"Of course," said Wizardmon. "My assistants and I are at your service. We _shall_ return the princess safely."

"Then you shall have all of the soldiers you need," said the king.

"If it pleases your majesty, I would go without soldiers," said Wizardmon. "Three can often enter where a thousand can not. Besides, speed is of the essence."

"I leave this in your hands," returned the king.

"By your leave, I would join you in rescuing the princess," said Leomon.

"I too," added Pixiemon.

"Very well," replied the king.

"Father, I would like to go too," said Taichi.

"Out of the question," returned the king sternly.

"Your highness," began Wizardmon, "should the rescue fail, I fear Myotismon may return to the castle. Most likely he would try to take either you or Princess Sora." Taichi's fists clenched at the thought of Myotismon trying to even get near Sora. "It would be best if you remained behind the palace walls. In fact, all nobles should not leave the shelter of the palace. I will ward the building to prevent Myotismon attempting entry."

"Thank you," said the king.

A few of the other nobles volunteered their assistance, to be turned down by Wizardmon. The Digimon did not wish to involve too many people. Lord Daisuke had to be threatened with imprisonment before he accepted no for an answer. Takeru noticed with irritation that Yamato didn't even attempt to make an offer of help.

In the end, only Wizardmon, Takeru, Pegasusmon, Leomon, and Pixiemon left the palace in search of Myotismon and the princess. Wizardmon knew where Myotismon's castle was. He wasted no time in leading the others there. The old Digimon hid his fears from the others. He was certain Myotismon would attempt to subject the princess to mind-control spells. They had to hurry. Wizardmon rode astride Saber Leomon. Pixiemon rode with Takeru on Pegasusmon.

Despite the fact that it was midday, the sky was black as night, obscuring the evil looking edifice. They stopped a safe distance from the castle to check out the lay of the land. "Two Devidramon guard the entrance," said Saber Leomon.

"We take them, you go for princess," said Pixiemon.

"All right. Be careful," warned Wizardmon.

Pixiemon and Saber Leomon looked at each other, then nodded. They pounced and dashed at the Devidramon. Once the guards were distracted, Takeru and the others slipped inside the castle.

"We should split up," said Wizardmon. "We need to get to the princess as soon as possible."

Takeru nodded. He turned down one hallway. Pegasusmon took another direction. Wizardmon chose another. Cautiously the youth moved down the hallways, ducking into alcoves when another approached. He followed a staircase down below, hoping this led to wherever Myotismon was keeping the princess.

In another part of the castle, Pegasusmon did the same. He followed a staircase down three flights, pausing only to fight some Bakamon that discovered him. A Phantomon guarded a doorway. Pegasusmon took it out with several Star Showers. Just beyond the doorway were several cells, empty save one. Chained to one of the walls was Gatomon. The princess' Digimon appeared to have been beaten severely.

"Lady Gatomon," whispered Pegasusmon.

She looked up. Never before had she been so glad to see another Digimon. "Have you found the princess?" was the first thing she asked.

"We've split up," he said. "I was lucky to find you. Let me get you out of here and we'll continue to look for her." Pegasusmon turned around, then kicked the door open with his rear hooves, then blasted the chains holding Gatomon. He knelt to the ground so she could climb on his back. Once she was seated, they continued the search for Princess Hikari.

In another part of the castle, Takeru continued on for several more levels. Despite the sword at his belt and the dagger in his hand, he still felt uncomfortable. He hid when a Bakamon approached. Once it was gone, he continued down the hall towards an eerie light. Twice more he had to hide before he reached the door.

Cautiously he crept forward and peeked inside the doorway. Takeru's heart stopped. Princess Hikari was chained between two columns. Several Bakamon floated around. A black feathered, round Digimon flapped about.

"Well princess, do you agree to submit to Lord Myotismon?" it asked.

"Never," said the princess proudly. "I'll never agree to submit to Myotismon or you, Demi-Devimon."

"We'll see about that," sneered Demi-Devimon. "Let's get on with it."

A Phantomon floated forward. It moved over to a glowing brazier and pulled out a long stick with a shape at the end. "I'm certain you will be more amenable to Lord Myotismon's will once you've felt the fire of my brand."

Hikari struggled as the evil Digimon approached with the glowing branding iron. "No! Get away from me!" Her struggles were in vain due to the tight chains.

Takeru acted without thinking. As the Phantomon moved the branding iron closer to Hikari, the youth leapt forward. Instead of striking Hikari's chest, the brand burned through Takeru's glove, right into the palm of his right hand.

"AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!" he shouted in pain.

Nearby Pegasusmon felt a jolt through his body. His wings faltered and he fell to the ground. "What is it?" asked Gatomon in a concerned tone. Suddenly he devolved to Patamon, much to Gatomon's surprise.

"They're hurting him. . . ." was all Patamon said as he struggled to his feet. "They're not far. I've got. . . . to get to him. . . ."

Confused, Gatomon followed Patamon. She was particularly surprised that a Digimon like Patamon could become a Digimon like Pegasusmon. "Goes to show you can't judge a Digimon by its appearance," she thought to herself.

They cautiously made their way in the same direction as Takeru. As they approached a lit room, they heard a voice. "Interfere with our master's plans, will you?" said Demi-Devimon. Patamon and Gatomon froze when they peeked inside. Takeru had been chained in front of the princess. Phantomon ripped the wings off Takeru's costume, effectively baring the young man's back.

"Angel, hah!" said Phantomon. "You're nothing more than a human."

"Now Princess, will you submit?" asked Demi-Devimon.

"Don't do it," hissed Takeru.

"Tenshi," said Hikari, a tear rolling down her cheek.

"Whatever they do to me, do not submit," he implored.

Hikari looked up at Takeru. She was at the exact angle necessary to be able to see Takeru's eyes past the slits in the helmet. Deep blue eyes entreated her.

"That's all right," said Demi-Devimon. "I'm in the mood to hear someone scream."

Phantomon took a newly heated branding iron out of his brazier.

"ARRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!" shouted Takeru in pain as the red hot iron burned through his back.

"TENSHI!" shrieked Hikari.

The evil Digimon laughed, then applied the branding iron to Takeru three more times.

Takeru's eyes never wavered from Hikari's, though the tears streamed down his cheeks. All of the earl's whippings couldn't compare to the pain. But there was no way he'd let the princess submit. Hikari watched as the mysterious young man she knew as the tenshi endured the pain meant for her.

Just outside the room, Gatomon and Patamon felt a surge of energy. Before either had a chance to analyze what was happening. . . .

"Patamon digivolve to Angemon!"

"Gatomon digivolve to Angewomon!"

Surprised, the two stared at each other for a moment. Then. . . .

"No, please stop hurting him," pleaded Hikari.

"Then submit," said Phantomon.

"No, don't. . . ." groaned Takeru.

There was no time for the Digimon to think. They had to act. Angemon and Angewomon burst into the room. "Stop right there," ordered Angemon.

"Ohhh. . . . more angels," sneered Demi-Devimon. "I'm sooooo scared."

"Hand of Fate!" shouted Angemon, who, with a glowing fist, struck Demi-Devimon.

"Celestial Arrow!" called Angewomon. She fired an arrow of energy at Phantomon.

"You think you've won," said Demi-Devimon as he faded out. "You still haven't faced our master." Then he and Phantomon disintegrated.

Angemon and Angewomon rushed forward to free their humans. "Don't worry," said Angewomon softly as she released Hikari's chains.

"G- Gatomon?" asked the princess in confusion. Angewomon nodded.

At the same time, Angemon freed Takeru from his bonds. "What did those monsters do to you?" he hissed as he looked at the brand marks on Takeru's back. Angemon looked over at Angewomon. "We need to find Wizardmon and get him out of here," he said.

"How is he?" asked Hikari.

"Not good," returned Angemon. "He's barely conscious."

Hikari picked up Takeru's hand and saw the brand burned into his hand. Then she saw his back and gasped. There were at least 5 of the brands burned into the flesh. That wasn't nearly as startling as the healed scars covering his back. Her tenshi had obviously been beaten by someone before. Gently she touched his face.

"Tenshi, stay with us," she said gently. A tear rolled down her cheek.

"How touching." An eerie, discomforting voice echoed through the room. "I see I need to destroy this human before I can proceed." Takeru forced himself to look up. Before them stood a tall, humanoid Digimon dressed in black. A red band across his face looked like a mask.

"Myotismon," spat out Angewomon. She moved in front of Hikari. The princess took Takeru's arm and tried to support him while Angemon faced Myotismon.

"You've already lost," said Angemon, who began powering up for an attack.

"Pathetic," sneered Myotismon. "You think you can defeat me."

"We know we can defeat you," corrected Angewomon.

"TWIN FANG!" Without warning, Saber Leomon bounded into the room and attacked. Pixiemon and Wizardmon, who followed him, also attacked. Both Angemon and Angewomon joined the battle.

"NOOOOO!!!!!!" shrieked Myotismon. The evil Digimon couldn't stand up to the combined attack. He began to dissolve. "I CANNOT BE BEATEN!"

"You are beaten," said Wizardmon. "Angewomon, use your Heaven's Charm!"

Angewomon complied. The others fired their strongest attacks. It was too much for Myotismon. He completely dissolved. The entire castle began to shake.

"Leave here we must!" shouted Pixiemon. Angewomon scooped up Hikari while Angemon took Takeru. Wizardmon leapt to Saber Leomon's back. They moved through the hallways at amazing speed. The walls crumbled around them. Just as they cleared a window opening, the rest of the castle collapsed. The darkness cleared, revealing it was barely afternoon.

<to be continued>