Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ A Digi-Tale [FFC] ❯ Chapter 5 - revised ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A Digi-Tale, Chapter 5

by Time Lady

-----------------------

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon. I'm just borrowing them for the duration of this story.

-----------------------

Author's notes: A few of you commented about the violence in Chapter 4. Yes, this is a fairy tale. But one thing that most of you probably aren't aware of: fairy tales originally weren't written for children. The first fairy tales were either court tales (stories told in royal courts much as this one) or club tales (there were clubs called "salons" where people went to be entertained). The original fairy tales were often quite violent. The original "Sleeping Beauty" story (a tale called "Sun, Moon, and Talia") was technically raped by the king, became pregnant, and had twin children all while she slept. The original "Little Red Riding Hood" didn't have a happy ending where she and grandma were rescued by a woodcutter. The original "Beauty and the Beast" was 70 pages long. The first versions of "Rapunzel" had Rapunzel get pregnant and have twin children, which was later cut out (the line where Rapunzel asked "Why is it that you are so much harder to pull up than the young prince" originally read "Tell me Godmother why my clothes are so tight and why they don't fit me any longer.") If you find you would like to research more of these original fairy tales, try and find the collections by Jack Zipes and Maria Tatar. They have compiled several books of original fairy tales. Charles Perrault began cleaning up many of the stories (though not that much) while the Brothers Grimm began cleaning up many of the fairy tales and turning them into moral tales.

And if you're wondering why I know so much about fairy tales, I did my master's thesis (a 90 page report) on fairy tales.

A brief warning: There will be further violence in chapter 6.

-----------------------

"It felt like I was in there for days," said Hikari.

Gently Angemon laid Takeru face down on the ground. "Wizardmon, can you do something for him?" asked Angemon.

"What in the world happened to him?" asked Saber Leomon as he saw Takeru's back.

"He- he was trying to protect me. . . ." stammered Hikari. She picked up his hand and looked at the brand burned deep within the flesh. Suddenly the princess was overwhelmed with emotion. Between sobs, she described what happened.

"I need to take him back to my cottage," said Wizardmon when Hikari finished. "I can care for him properly there."

"I'm coming," said Hikari as she dried her eyes.

"Absolutely not," said Saber Leomon.

"Home you must return," agreed Pixiemon. "Worried to death your parents are."

"But I'm responsible for him being like this," returned the princess.

"I am more responsible for him than you are," said Wizardmon softly as he cast a sleeping spell to ease Takeru's pain temporarily. "I am the one who asked him to be my assistant in the first place. Saber Leomon, Pixiemon, Angewomon, make sure the princess gets home."

"Certain we will," affirmed Pixiemon. Carefully Angemon lifted Takeru into his arms.

"Will I ever see him again?" asked Hikari.

"Perhaps," said Wizardmon. "We must go."

Angemon spread his wings and took to flight, following Wizardmon as he walked off in the direction of his home. Saber Leomon, Pixiemon, Angewomon, and Princess Hikari turned in the direction of the palace. After about 15 minutes, Hikari said "Saber Leomon, please go and make sure they make it to Wizardmon's cottage safely."

"Your highness, are you sure?" asked Saber Leomon.

"It's the only way I'll be certain he's all right," said Hikari.

"Very well. I shall return to the palace as soon as I can." Saber Leomon turned and followed the direction Wizardmon and the others took.

A few minutes later he caught up with them. It was a good thing he did. Patamon was unused to digivolving, let alone staying in a digivolved form for extended amounts of time. He had just managed to set Takeru down before devolving and collapsing to the ground. "Wizardmon."

"Just couldn't stay away, could you?"

"Good thing I didn't."

"Yes, it is." Wizardmon cast a spell and levitated Takeru and Patamon onto Saber Leomon's back. The large Digimon followed Wizardmon's directions to the cottage. He then devolved to Leomon and carried the youngsters inside. "Set them here," directed Wizardmon as he led them to a bedroom. Carefully Leomon set them on the bed.

Wizardmon then set about making Takeru comfortable. "What you are about to see and hear, you must not reveal to anyone just yet," said Wizardmon. Leomon appeared taken aback, but nodded his agreement. Wizardmon removed Takeru's helmet and tossed it aside. Then he pulled back the hood and mask. He heard Leomon's sharp intake of breath.

"I must be more tired than I thought," said Leomon. "Because your 'tenshi' bears an incredible resemblance to Viscount Yamato."

"You are not imagining it. This is Takeru, Viscount Yamato's younger brother."

Leomon stared hard at Wizardmon, who was removing Takeru's shirt. "Yamato is an only child."

"So the earl and viscount would have everyone believe." As Wizardmon began applying salves to Takeru's burns, he explained Takeru's history to Leomon.

"The king and queen must be made aware of this," said Leomon when Wizardmon finished his story. "This young man has been sorely mistreated."

"Say nothing to their majesties," returned Wizardmon. "Not yet. It is not time for them to know."

"He is of noble blood and has been turned into a servant. Why should I not tell them?"

"Because if things are not handled properly, I am certain the earl would kill Takeru. Do you not see the scars he bears as it is?"

"And what of Princess Hikari? I am certain she is developing feelings for your 'tenshi.'"

"You might say I am giving fate a helping hand," said Wizardmon. "What is meant to be is meant to be. You gave your word you would say nothing."

Leomon's eyes narrowed. "Very well. I do not agree, but I will abide by your wishes."

Even unconscious, Takeru's body tensed as the healing balm touched the burned areas. Wizardmon carefully examined each brand. "A good thing he intercepted the brand before it could strike the princess. Myotismon has the disconcerting habit of branding his victims over their heart, then infecting the brand with dark magic, creating a slave."

"Is there a chance that he has been infected?" asked Leomon in obvious concern.

"No. Myotismon hadn't a chance to start. However I will not be able to remove the brand marks. He will be forced to live with them." Wizardmon sighed with a heavy heart. "As if he has not had enough torture in his young life."

"I could still inform the king and queen. . . ."

"Let things take their own pace."

A soft whimper came from the other bed. Patamon slowly opened his eyes. Looking around, he saw Wizardmon and Leomon bending over Takeru. "How is he?" asked Patamon softly.

"He's in a lot of pain, but he will be fine," said Wizardmon.

"For one so small, you are very brave," said Leomon. "Your digivolutions are impressive. I most certainly wouldn't want to face your final digivolution."

"Thank you sir," said Patamon. He tried to struggle to his feet, but wound up collapsing to the bed again.

"Easy little one," said Leomon. "Until you become used to digivolving on a regular basis, you will need to rest and regain your strength."

Patamon sighed and lay back down. He was exhausted. But it was hard to rest when he didn't know how Takeru would be. And then there was Gatomon, who digivolved to Angewomon. Patamon felt like his head was going to explode. Sighing, he closed his eyes and drifted into an uneasy sleep.

"You should return to the palace," said Wizardmon. "Pixiemon is not the best of explainers, Gatomon will surely be as exhausted as Patamon, and the princess will be extremely distraught."

Leomon nodded. "I will assure the princess her tenshi is safe."

"Please convey my apologies to their majesties that I will not be returning to the palace immediately," added Wizardmon. "I must ensure that Takeru is back on his feet before the earl returns."

"They will understand." Leomon turned and walked out with a heavy heart.

At full speed as Saber Leomon, he caught up with the princess. Angewomon, exhausted from her digivolution, devolved and collapsed. Pixiemon had just gone to get water from a stream. Hikari was doing her best to keep her spirits up but all she could think of was the young man who had taken the pain meant for her.

"Your highness," growled Saber Leomon.

"How- how is he?" she asked.

"Wizardmon is seeing to his injuries."

"Will he be all right?"

"It is too soon to say, but Wizardmon believes he will make a full recovery."

Princess Hikari lost her composure and began crying. "It's all my fault. . . . If I would have agreed to Myotismon's demands. . . ."

"Princess, do not say such things. Your angel knew what he was doing and accepted any consequences."

Before anything else could be said, Pixiemon returned with a full water skin. He flittered to the ground and trickled some water into Gatomon's mouth. "Return to the palace we must."

Still crying, Hikari climbed aboard Saber Leomon's back. Pixiemon flew Gatomon up to her, then seated himself behind the princess.

By the time they arrived at the palace, Hikari had stopped crying. An uproar arose at the gates as Saber Leomon ran through with the princess on his back. The fastest flying Digimon had been sent ahead to alert the king and queen. They dropped whatever they were doing and rushed to the palace entrance.

"My baby!" exclaimed the queen as a guard took Gatomon from the princess. Another guard helped Hikari to the ground. The queen rushed forward and pulled her daughter into a crushing embrace, which the king joined in. Saber Leomon devolved.

"Mama. . . Papa. . . ." Hikari's eyes began to tear.

"Your majesties," said Jyou, who had rushed to the gates when he heard the princess had returned. "We should make sure the princess sustained no injuries from her ordeal."

At the word injuries, Hikari began to cry hysterically. "The tenshi" was all anyone was able to make out from what she was saying.

"Wizardmon's assistant, the tenshi, sustained several injuries while protecting the princess," explained Leomon. "She is most distraught over this. While the doctor attends to the princess, I will explain all that happened."

"Very well. Lady Mimi, Lady Miyako," the king turned to the princess' tutor and companion who had just arrived, "please see Princess Hikari to her chambers. Jyou, if you would fetch the doctor?"

"Yes your majesty." The three bowed. Lady Mimi and Lady Miyako escorted Hikari back to her room. Mimi put her arm around the distraught princess while Miyako carried the still unconscious Gatomon.

---

Wizardmon continued to apply salves and herbal compresses to Takeru's burns. Patamon had awoken and was now eating some fruit Wizardmon had given him. "Can you take the brand marks away?" asked Patamon.

"I'm sorry, no. The nature of the brand makes it irremovable. He will have to live with the marks the rest of his life." Wizardmon checked the dressings on Takeru's hand.

"What about the princess and Gatomon?"

"They are safely behind the walls of the palace by now."

---

Jyou entered the throne room. The doctor had given Hikari some sleeping herbs and was going to stay by the princess. "How is she?" asked the queen.

"She is resting comfortably," said Jyou. "The doctor is staying with her a little longer. She was somewhat dehydrated but is otherwise unharmed."

"Much of which is thanks to Wizardmon's assistant," said Leomon. He burned to tell the king and queen all the details, but remained silent in accordance with Wizardmon's wishes.

"The tenshi deserves to be rewarded for his bravery," said the king.

"You would need to discuss this with Wizardmon," said Leomon. "Only Wizardmon seems to know the young man's true origins."

"Though he is human, he is truly an angel to endure the pain he did," said the queen.

---

The next morning, Takeru woke up face down on a bed. He yelped in pain when he tried to push himself up with his hand. Both his hand and his back protested. His back felt worse than it did after the earl's last few whippings put together. Instead he just turned his head and looked around. Wizardmon sat in a chair next to him dozing. Patamon was asleep on a bed nearby. Takeru tried to concentrate on remembering what happened. The princess. . . . Was she all right? The images of what happened after he saw Patamon digivolve were hazy. Despite the pain, he pushed himself into a sitting position with a loud groan.

Wizardmon's eyes flew open. "Takeru, you should not be moving around," he admonished.

"The princess. . . ."

"The princess is safely behind the walls of the palace. Do not worry about her."

Takeru collapsed back against the pillows and let out a loud groan. He rolled to his side.

"Phantomon was brutal," admitted Wizardmon. "The brands will heal, but you will bear the marks for the rest of your life."

"I- I couldn't let him hurt the princess. Is Patamon. . ."

"He is sleeping. He will need to regain his strength. As do you. There are still two days before you are expected back at the manor."

"And one month before I can leave for good. . . ." he sighed. Suddenly, Takeru's leaving home felt very meaningless. Even though he would not have to deal with the earl and his beatings, or with Yamato, he might never see the princess again. He sighed.

"Do not lose hope Takeru."

---

Hikari sat in the library, sighing a melancholy sigh and staring out the window. The doctor had given her sleeping herbs, but her sleep was filled with dreams. She dreamed she was in the arms of an angel. They flew into the sky. She looked into his deep blue eyes. Then suddenly the skies went black. Myotismon appeared and ripped the wings off the angel. They fell into a fiery pit. The angel cushioned her fall, but she heard him scream as his back hit the burning rocks. Then Myotismon pulled her out of her angel's arms. She had awoken screaming.

"Your highness?" Hikari turned to see Sir Koushirou and Sir Ken standing in the library doorway, hands full of books. "It is time for. . . ." Koushirou was about to suggest lessons begin, but he saw the tears streaming down the princess' cheeks.

"I don't think now is a good time for lessons," said Ken to Koushirou in a low voice. "Princess, send for us if you need us."

"But. . ." Koushirou was cut off as Ken pushed him out of the door.

"She needs time," said Ken. "She has been through a traumatic experience. We can give her a respite from her lessons for a few days."

Hikari stayed in the same place in the library. Everywhere she looked she thought she would see the tenshi. . . her tenshi. . . her angel. She vaguely heard the library door open.

Princess Sora walked into the library, a book in her hand. She saw Hikari sitting in the window seat crying. Her heart went out to her future sister-in-law. "Hikari?" The younger princess turned her head. Sora could see how red Hikari's eyes were. "Are you all right?" Though Hikari nodded, Sora felt otherwise. "You're thinking about him, aren't you?"

"I. . . I don't know if he's truly all right," sniffed Hikari as she accepted Sora's handkerchief. "I only know that Leomon said that Wizardmon said he was going to be okay. But I don't know for myself." Hikari turned back to the window. "And I don't know if I'll ever see him again."

"Don't lose hope," said Sora as she put a comforting arm around Hikari. "Perhaps we can reach Wizardmon. Once we do that, we can possibly find your tenshi."

---

Takeru spent the next two days recovering as much as he could. It didn't feel like it was anywhere near enough. But the earl was due back in a week and Takeru had promised to return to the manor a week before his return. Before he and Patamon left, Wizardmon presented them with a hefty sack. Takeru opened it. His and Patamon's eyes went wide at the sight of a full sack of gold coins. "This is your salary for the past few weeks."

"This- this is way too much," stammered Takeru.

"You have earned it and more," said Wizardmon. "This should set your feet on the road once you come of age."

"I don't know what to say," said Takeru.

"Say thank you," prompted Patamon.

"I can't thank you enough," said Takeru.

"Just keep your hopes burning bright," said Wizardmon. "There may be richer rewards in your future." With that cryptic remark, Wizardmon shuffled Takeru and Patamon out of his cottage and set them on the road back to the manor.

Cook, Vargas, and Melorah warmly received the two upon their arrival. As per Wizardmon's instructions, Takeru passed off his injuries as burns due to helping people out of a fire. He wore a finger-less glove on his right hand to hide the brand there. He told them his hand was burned, as well as his back. Wizardmon had given him balms and herbs to aid in the healing.

There wasn't much time for rest once Takeru arrived. Instead the five of them started a flurry of activity catching up on many of the chores that had been neglected the previous weeks. Nightly Patamon helped put the balms and herbs on Takeru's back. The pain lessened, but still did not totally disappear due to Takeru's constant activity.

By the time the earl returned, the manor and the grounds were ready for his inspection. However, the earl had other things on his mind. "The prince and princess will be coming here in a month!" he said excitedly.

"Sir?" said Vargas questioningly.

"Princess Sora decided that she wished to see more of the country on the way to the port. Gennai, the prime minister, laid out a plan of travel. Prince Taichi and Princess Hikari will accompany her as far as the ports. Our town is one of the ones to be visited. And we will have the honor of hosting them here at the manor!"

The earl appeared elated, but Takeru's heart fell. The princess was coming. It wouldn't do him any good. She didn't know that he was Wizardmon's tenshi. Besides, in a month he would come of age and be able to leave. Would he leave, or would he wait for the princess' visit. Takeru's head began to spin.

"Vargas," said the earl, "find reliable workers. It will not due to only have the five of you here to serve their highnesses. We will need maids, footmen, groundskeepers, scullery maids. . . I trust your judgment."

"Yes my lord," said Vargas. "I will see to it immediately."

"Cook, make sure the kitchen is fully stocked with the finest."

"Yes my lord," replied Cook.

"Takeru, Patamon, help Cook and Melorah with whatever they need."

"Yes my lord," said Takeru.

"Come along Takeru," said Cook before Melorah could open her mouth. "Help me inventory the larder. You and Patamon will have to run to the market for me."

---

The next month was a flurry of activity. Takeru and Patamon felt like their heads were spinning. Cook said the manor hadn't looked so well since shortly after the countess had died. A week before the arrival date of the royals was the anniversary of her death. And of Takeru's birth.

To avoid angering the earl, the only commemoration of Takeru's birthday was a small cake baked by Cook. She, Vargas, and Melorah gathered together in the kitchen after work was done for the day and the earl was sound asleep.

"Eighteen years," said Cook with a tear in her eye. "Your mother would be so proud of you."

"You're a man now," added Vargas. "Able to set out on your own. Have you decided what you'll be doing with yourself once you leave this place?"

"I think Patamon and I will just travel for a while and see the country," said Takeru.

"Leaving tonight then?" asked Melorah .

"No," said Takeru. "I would like to have the opportunity to see the prince and princesses." Mentally he added "again." Aloud he continued. "It is an opportunity I might never have again. Once they are gone, I will leave."

"You're a breath of life in this dead place child," said Cook as she dabbed her eyes. "It will be hard to see you go."

"Aye," agreed Vargas. "But you'll be in charge of your own destiny from now on."

---

The day before the royals were due to arrive, Viscount Yamato arrived to make sure all was in order. After his personal inspection, he deemed everything ready. Except. . . .

"Father, you can not allow Takeru around the prince or princesses," said Yamato. He looked out in the garden as Gabumon and Gazimon were taunting Patamon.

"Whatever for? We need all the hands we can get. Servants were not plentiful in this town."

"Have you looked at him lately? I mean really studied him."

"I can't say I've had the necessity."

"There is enough of a resemblance between me and him for people to comment. Sir Koushirou, who will be accompanying the prince and princesses as a chaperone, would definitely notice. Unless you're willing to hint at the possibility of him being the offspring of an illicit affair between you and a servant, they will know that he is my brother from looking at him."

The earl clenched his hand into a fist. The anniversary of the death of his beloved wife was only a week ago. Only the impending royal visit kept him from lapsing into his usual depression. "Very well. I will assign him to help Cook in the kitchens."

---

The next day, Takeru could hear the approach of several coaches. As much as he wanted to go see the arrival, he couldn't. The earl had threatened him with extreme punishment if any of the nobles found him. Perhaps he should have left after all. . . .

Outside, the earl helped Princess Hikari from the carriage. "My lord," said the princess, "I had heard that Wizardmon resided in a cottage in the area. Will he be visiting?"

"My apologies your highness," returned the earl. "Had I know you wished to see him, I would have sought him out."

"Well then, perhaps we might visit him," returned the princess.

"If I can find a reliable guide, I most certainly will arrange a visit."

"Thank you," said Hikari.

"Our visit is only for a couple of days," admonished Lady Mimi. "There will not be enough time to go gallivanting around the countryside searching for Wizardmon."

"Such a short visit, your highness?" asked the earl.

"The king has scheduled in so many visits," replied Sir Koushirou. "He decided we make many short stops so that Princess Sora may see as many places as possible. Next we will be visiting Lord Daisuke and Lady Jun's home. They went on ahead."

"It has been a long time since I visited here," said Prince Taichi as he looked around. "I believe the last time I was here was your fourth birthday," he said to Yamato.

"Yes, yes it was," said Yamato. It was a couple of months before his mother had died.

"What a charming home," said Princess Sora as Taichi helped her from the carriage.

"You are all welcome here in my home," said the earl, once everyone was assembled. Princess Sora's entourage was increased by not only Prince Taichi and Princess Hikari and their Digimon, but also Sir Koushirou, Lady Mimi, Sir Ken, Lady Miyako, Jyou, their Digimon, and Leomon.

Gatomon looked around. Her fur was bristling. Out of the corner of her eye she saw a flash of orange and white behind a tree. Cautiously she walked over to the tree, but there was nothing there. "Could it have been. . . . nah," she thought.

Patamon looked down from his perch high up in the tree. "That was close," he thought. "I'm going to have to lay low. Gatomon and Leomon will recognize me." Once they were gone, he swooped down to the kitchen window.

"I can't believe how many people and Digimon they brought with them," he told Takeru and Cook. "Every bedroom will be taken."

"I wish I could peek," said Takeru wistfully.

"Now Takeru," admonished the cook gently. "You know what will happen if the earl catches you out of the kitchen while the guests are about."

"I know," he replied. "They will be gone soon, and so will I."

Takeru spent the evening chopping, cutting, and preparing plates for Cook. He was spared dish washing duties due to the burns on his hand, which was still covered by the finger-less glove. Finally, once all of the guests had retired for the evening, he, Cook, and the scullery maids began cleaning the kitchen. "That does it. We'll need to be up early to prepare breakfast for so many."

"I'll stay up a little morning and make sure the breakfast plates and utensils are ready," offered Takeru. "It will be one less thing to worry about in the morning."

"Thank you love," said Cook. She shooed the scullery maids on ahead of her, then closed the kitchen door.

"Why did you offer to do that?" asked Patamon once they were alone.

"I'm just not quite ready to go to bed."

"Well I am."

"Then go on ahead. I'll be up soon."

"Okay," yawned Patamon. He flew out of the window, then up to the window of the attic room he and Takeru shared. His flight did not go unnoticed. Gatomon, feeling restless at sleeping in a strange bed, was awake and looking out the window.

"I'm sure that was him," she thought. "But then, he might not be the only Patamon around. Like that time we visited the Koromon and Agumon village. I'll have to catch him and find out."

Takeru moved at a leisurely pace, enjoying the quiet solitude in the kitchen. He set out the dishes the earl preferred for breakfast on a cart. As he was counting out the forks, he heard the door swing open.

"See? I said my nose would lead us to the kitchen."

"Yes, you can smell food a mile away," said another voice.

Takeru turned. He recognized Viscount Iori and Armadillomon from his visit to the palace. "May I help you my lord?" asked Takeru, lowering his head and hoping neither recognized him.

"I'm sorry to intrude, but we were hoping to find a late night snack," said Armadillomon.

"You were the one that was hungry," said Iori.

"There is some fresh fruit. If that will please you, I will get it for your lordship," said Takeru.

"Fruit will be fine," said Iori.

"I thought you weren't hungry," said Armadillomon.

"I never said I wasn't hungry," returned Iori.

Takeru turned around quickly and found some fruit. He cut it, then set down two plates. "Will that be all, sir?"

"Do you mind if we eat here? We won't be long. Our governess taught us never to bring food to bed," explained Iori.

"If your lordship wishes," said Takeru. He turned away and returned to his chore, but he felt Viscount Iori's eyes upon him.

They finished the snack in about 15 minutes. "Ya'll have some good fruit around here," said Armadillomon. "Thanks."

"Thank you. We won't delay you any further," said Iori.

"It is my duty to serve," said Takeru. After being waited on hand and foot in the palace, the words felt funny coming from his mouth.

Iori and Armadillomon made their way up the stairs towards their room. "Wasn't there something familiar about that guy?" said Armadillomon.

"Yes, there was," returned Iori thoughtfully. "I just can't put my finger on it."

<to be continued>