Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ A Digimon Fairytale ❯ Believing in legends ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER FIVE
 
School was getting ready to close and lock up, Yolei met with Ken outside the school. “Ken… have you seen Davis and Veemon anywhere?” she asked.
 
Her boyfriend looked worried, “I thought they were with you.”
 
The two of them almost looked ready to faint. First TK and Kari vanish, and now Davis and Veemon? How much worse could things get for them?
 
Meanwhile
 
At the castle, the strange man was sitting in his throne laughing softly yet wickedly as he gazed his reflection in a mirror. “Mirror, Mirror in my hand, who is the handsomest man in the land?” he gestured playfully.
 
Just then one of his guards came in and whispered stressful news into his ear. “What? A knight in gold armor, and a winged-horse in the town?” he suddenly began to believe that the knight was another one of the many people daring to rescue the princess so that he could not marry her and rule the kingdom. “Call out the guards.” he ordered. “Bring him and his mule of a friend… alive!”
 
The guard nodded, and then rushed off leaving the man to smash his mirror, not worrying at all about superstition. Then using his evil magic he conjured a crystal-ball onto his lap and looked the town over. “No one shall stop me in my conquest for glory and power.” He hissed. “Nobody!”
 
TK and Pegasusmon had been walking all over the town, but every person they stopped to question about what was going on in town, he didn't get an answer, everyone just starred at him. Soon, it felt like every eye in the town was looking upon him.
 
“What are they starring at?” TK asked.
 
“I don't know…” said Pegasusmon, and then he made a connection as he looked around town. “TK… haven't you noticed something? There doesn't seem to be any other knight characters in the town anywhere. Not one.”
 
The two looked everywhere, and could see nothing but dilapidated buildings, poor beggars, and widowed mothers with their children, but no knights, and hardly any weapons at all. “What kind of a place is this?” TK thought. “Don't they realize how defenseless they are?”
 
Suddenly, the sound of trumpets tooting near the main gates of the town sent all the people running like crazy, heading for their houses and locking all the doors and windows. “What's going on?” asked Pegasusmon.
 
“I don't but--” TK tried all he could to question those who ran past him. “Hey you… what's going on? Hey wait a minute!” but no one answered him and soon the entire town square had gone completely silent.
 
Just then, one door opened and old man stuck his head outside. “Hey you there…!” he called to TK and Pegasusmon. “Get yourselves over here, hurry!”
 
TK and Pegasusmon moved closer to the old man's shop. “Would you mind telling me what's going on?” TK demanded, but the old man simply kept ushering the two inside his huge shop, and no sooner had he shut the door did several soldiers come riding in on horses.
 
TK overhears them saying that they are looking for a man in gold-armor, and his winged-horse. Soon, the men left assuming that TK had fled the town, not bothering to even search the houses and shops.
 
The old man checked outside and sighed in relief that the men had gone. “I apologize for dragging you both in here like this, but if I hadn't you would have been in great danger.”
 
“Danger… from what?” asked Pegasusmon.
 
The old man sat the boys down, and told the sad story about how once their kingdom was at peace, and great harmony; under the watchful eye of their good king. Everything was running lovely until the arrival of the evil Black-Barron; a greedy usurping grouch of a character that possessed terrifying powers.
 
The Barron had killed the king, and took his place as ruler of the kingdom. With his greedy might, he robbed all the money from the town, changing everyone into the mess before that was now present. “We now know nothing but fear, and darkness.”
 
TK clenched his fists tight, that was all he needed, another evil creep picking on poor innocent people. “Hasn't anyone ever tried to stop that guy before?” he asked.
 
The old man nodded, “Many have tried… but none have succeeded.” he answered. “The Barron's power is too much for any knight to handle. I doubt that even you yourself may be able to rescue the princess.”
 
“Princess…?” asked Pegasusmon.
 
The old man explained that the King's daughter was all that remained. As long as she lived, the kingdom would never truly belong to the Barron. “But the Barron has her locked up within the castle, and he plans to marry her so that he may be crowned as the new king and then our Kingdom is doomed for all time. For once a King has been crowned, nothing, absolutely nothing can dethrone him.”
 
TK and Pegasusmon had heard enough. “I say we go after his Barron.” TK said.
 
“What…?” exclaimed the old man.
 
“Yes…” said Pegasusmon, “There has to be someway to beat him.”
 
The old man suddenly remembered, “Well... there may be only one way, but am uncertain if either of you have what it takes.” he told them. “Legend has it, that there is only one thing the Barron himself is powerless against, but none of us knows just what that one thing is.”
 
TK and Pegasusmon sighed irritably, but nevertheless they had to go for it, and try to help everyone in this town. “Sorry, Kari…” TK thought, “I'll find you somehow, but this is far more important.”
 
He and Pegasusmon then rode off for the castle, almost completely unaware of the horrors that awaited them.
 
Meanwhile
 
Davis and Veemon had been invited into the Indian village, and were treated to some hot food as payment for ridding their lands of the wolves and cougars. Their chief dubbed them as honorary members of their village. “You show great courage, strangers.” he said. “Perhaps you are the ones legends speak of.”
 
Davis and Ex-Veemon looked at each other in confusion. “What do you mean legend?” asked Davis.
 
The chief began to explain how legend had it that in the strange world they sat in, anyone who possessed vast amounts of courage, and one who believes in the story, would be gifted with powers able to pierce the darkest of evil.
 
“Wait! This is a story?” asked Ex-Veemon.
 
Davis waved his hands, “Whoa, whoa, whoa… hold up. Lets me get this straight” he said. “This… is a story. Yeah, sure I'll by that… but are you saying that I'm this legendary guy you say, who believes in the story?”
 
The chief nodded, “There can be… no doubt.” he said. “You have power… you will end this story the right way… you and only you save us all.”
 
All the other Indians cheered for joy, but Davis and Ex-Veemon had no idea what to think of now. “Believe in stories… me?” Davis thought, “Something tells me this won't go as planned.”