Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ A New Face Among Many ❯ Bad News Manifested ( Chapter 10 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

A New Face Among Many - Chapter 10: Bad News Manifested

Reliana had been showing off her soccer skill to the baby digimon for almost an hour, and she didn't show any signs of tiring. The babies all agreed that she was a much better soccer player than Davis.

Sensing that her audience had increased, Reliana let the soccer ball drop to the ground. Turning she noticed Izzy, with his friends in tow, entering Primary Village. Calling Wyrvenmon to her, Reliana approached the group.

"Thank you for coming to find me." Reliana had watched the reaction on the faces of the Digidestined before her. With the exception of Ken, they were noticeably shocked by her politeness. Izzy, she noticed, was staring at her rather intently. "Is there something wrong, Izzy?"

"Can I speak with you in private?" I might as well be the one to break the bad news to her. Besides, she could know a solution.

"Sure."

The pair walked off towards a secluded section of Primary Village. No one was really sure when they clasped hands, but holding hands they were.

* * *

Turning a corner, Reliana looked around. Good. The others can't see us here. That's when she made her move.

Izzy had just turned to face Reliana when their lips met. He was caught off guard and off balance. His knees buckled and the two fell to the ground. That didn't stop Reliana kissing him, though. If anything she kissed him deeper, longer. Izzy was not complaining.

After a few minutes they came up for air. Reliana smiled as she watched the expression on Izzy's face. She loved his eyes. They were so expressive.

When Reliana made to kiss him again, Izzy stopped her. He caught the flash of hurt in her eyes as she pulled herself up. Before he lost his nerve as well as his control, Izzy told her about the virus. Her face went blank.

When Reliana finally reacted it wasn't what Izzy expected. She started to cry.

This is entirely my fault! If I hadn't gotten greedy for that stupid program… If I'd never been given KillSwitch in the fist place, this would never have happened. Reliana could tell Izzy didn't blame her, but she knew she was the cause. This beautiful world was a risk because of her selfishness.

Izzy reached out to comfort Reliana. He was very surprised when she recoiled.

Reliana stumbled to her feet. She needed to think. Without looking back, she ran.

* * *

Wyrvenmon could tell something was wrong. When Izzy came into sight he was alone. Looking around for Reliana, Wyrvenmon couldn't see her.

"Wyrvenmon, I don't know where Reliana's gone, but she is very upset." Izzy was feeling dejected. He could tell that Reliana was feeling guilty, but he couldn't understand why she would let him help her. As Digidestined they were in this together, regardless of who started it. Maybe she just needs time to see.

* * *

Reliana came to a halt in a partial clearing in the woods. Her tears had dried during the first few minutes of her flight. Now what? Reliana was desperately trying to come up with a solution. So far she only thing she could think of was the programmer; Firewall. An illustrious computer hacker whose reputation was second only to her own.

Reliana had just turned to head back to Primary Village when that palm pilot device started beeping. It actually looked more like the control paddle for a Sega Dreamcast entertainment system than a palm pilot. What caused the beeping was an e-mail. One from each of the other Digidestined. The one from Yolei was light-hearted and comical, comparing their current problem to ones Yolei had inadvertently caused in her own life. The one from Cody was sweet and sincere. The ones from TK and Kari were similar. It was quite amazing how the two thought so much alike. The one from Davis was... Well, we'll won't get into that.

It was Ken's e-mail that broke past the guilt. He was sympathetic to what she was going through because he had. Ken was the Digimon Emperor Wyrvenmon told me about? How is that possible? He has such a sweet nature.

Clipping the D-Terminal back to the belt of her skirt, Reliana started the trip back to Primary Village.

* * *

The Digidestined were sitting at a picnic when Reliana found them. Moving silently, Reliana approached the group. Davis and Izzy were the only ones with their back to her. Each of the others had looked up and seen her, but she motioned for them to be silent. She dropped her hand on Izzy's shoulder. He jumped. Reliana, and the Digidestined in on the prank, burst out laughing.

Reliana knelt down next to Izzy. If she noticed that the contents of her fridge had been transformed into the buffet-style lunch before her, she didn't say anything.

* * *

The black shadow flitted among the trees, herding the baby Botamon deeper into the forest. Let them laugh. The time will come when I am strong enough. Until then, I will wait and gather my strength. In time, I will be force to be reckoned with.