Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ A Way into My Heart ❯ Confession ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Packing up her room was one of the hardest things to do. Rain was falling down in a heavy downpour, soaking the earth as it changed from winter to spring. It was one of the heaviest rainfalls they had received all year, making large puddles on the ground and almost drowning plants in new gardens. Taping up one of the last boxes, Iwamura Aiko let a sigh escape her lips, feeling her body sag as the breath left her. The teenager flopped down onto her bed, which was no stripped of sheets and blankets that had remained there for so long.
 
I'm leaving Kobe for good. Graduation was tonight and, having finally reached her final year in High School, Aiko felt an unexpected burst of sorrow, knowing tonight was the last night she would probably see any of her friends for a long time. It was hard to think about but she had to leave. There were too many reasons to go to the University of Tokyo. For one thing, the female had worked her butt of making sure she got what was needed done so she could get into the Nursing program over there. There were other reasons though, only known close in her heart.
 
Brown eyes gazed to the picture that remained on her nightstand, a small, sad smile forcing it's way to her lips. The picture had been taken at the start of the school year, the leaves already changing when it had been taken. There were two people in the picture. One, herself, was standing next to the male, a huge smile on her face. She had been laughing when the flash had gone off. She had her arms wrapped around the neck of the male, who looked uncomfortable in the hug, yet there was a small smile on his face.
 
Jun.
 
How long ago had it been since she had first seen the boy? They had been kids, going into Middle School. He was never socially comfortable and, though Aiko had made an effort to reach out, he turned her away. The younger Aiko had huffed and puffed, turning away from him and refusing to try anymore. Funny enough, she had done the same thing at the end of her sophomore year. That had been just after the fall of the Digimon Lord in the Digital World.
 
The Digital World is what held them all together. It's where the story started between her and the others. Aiko had just gone to the Digital World the past week to see Gatomon. Finals kept the girl busy for most of these final months, afraid she wouldn't pass with the best marks she could possible get. Math held its challenges, though Jun had surprisingly been a good tutor to help her these past few weeks as she crammed for that test.
 
They had started as enemies and now were close friends, or at least, Aiko considered the male to be on of her closest friends. Most of the Digidestined had made that list though, as they had gone through so much together. Even now, when the Digital World was at peace, they did things with one another. Aiko remembered Prom very vividly, having dragged Jun there with her. “You're not missing out on something like Prom!” She had told him before forcing him into the ballroom of the hotel prom was being held in.
 
Though the girl had danced at every opportunity she would, Jun would simply not join her. Well, not until she dragged him onto the dance floor for the final slow song. No matter how much he disliked dancing, she wasn't going to take no for an answer. Not when she could dance with a friend. Yet the feelings that rose inside of her when they danced weren't the kind she had expected to feel. Her heart pounded, her stomach flipped, and she suddenly felt nervous to be so close.
 
To put it simply, Aiko had realized, after the dance, that she was in love, and with the most unlikely person of all.
 
She touched the photograph lightly with her fingertips, sitting up again as she grasped the frame in her hands. That feeling of love hadn't gone away. Aiko had been known to be flighty when it came to her love interests. They came and went along with her feelings. Friends teased the girl about it, though she merely shrugged her shoulders. She didn't tell her friends this time who she felt something for, not wanting anyone to know while she sorted things in her own mind.
 
On one hand, she knew she loved him. So what? They were friends and had spent a lot of time together. It probably meant that she loved him like the others. But she knew that wasn't right. She didn't get nervous around any of her other guy friends that she loved. That love was different from this one.
 
The other thing was the fact that they were friends. Just friends, as far as Aiko knew. It confused her when she felt all these churning emotions and got minimal effort from him. She had never known hurt when it came to guys. They were just there, sometimes just to be someone to kiss or to be near to when she needed male companionship. There were complications with this one.
 
Sighing softly, the slowly wrapped up the frame in newspaper, setting it gently into the final box. Tape was spread over the top as she marked it with a permanent marker. Her brown eyes gazed around the now bare room, feeling a sense of emptiness inside of her. She was really going somewhere. This was no longer her regular home, though it would be inside her heart.
 
One more thing to be checked off her list. She had one more thing to do before the day was over.
 
***
 
“Call me, okay?”
 
“Keep in touch!”
 
“Make sure to write me!”
 
The promises from the now-adults filtered through the school halls as the families and graduates gathered for their final goodbyes. Some were going off for after parties, others going to finish their packing for other adventures. Summer was just around the corner and it was the time for changes and new things. Among her friends, Aiko was smiling. All were dressed in green and gold caps and gowns, matching and laughing about it the entire time.
 
“I can't believe you're going all the way to Tokyo for college!” Wong Michi whined as she hugged her friend. “You have to invite me down there once you get settled and everything, okay?” Aiko laughed, nodding as she hugged the girl back.
 
“You know I will…” Her voice trailed off as she glanced above the heads, spotting an oh-so-familiar face. Saboru Jun gave a tentative smile as he stood a little ways from Aiko's usual gaggle of girls. Extracting herself from her usual female companions, she reached Jun, pausing a little before him as she gave the male a warm smile. “Hey! Can you believe that we're done with High School?”
 
“Yeah…” He ran his fingers through his hair, the smile slowly fading. “So, you're going to Tokyo?”
 
“Tomorrow. I want to get settled before school starts in the fall, y'know?” Her grandfather and aunt and uncle weren't so pleased with the eighteen year olds choice, though Aiko had been firm in her decision. So she was leaving as soon as she could. Her family would help get some of the boxes to her once she got to her place. She had sent a few boxes down already and would be unpacking right after she got to the small apartment in Tokyo.
 
“I guess,” Jun had decided to stay and go to a local University closer to Kobe. Aiko needed this distance though. It had been one of the underlying reasons to choose Tokyo University. The city would clear her mind, give her a fresh start.
 
There was an awkward silence between them as neither said anything, staring off in their own direction. “Jun-” Aiko began, freezing and stopping as his head turned to hers. What could she say? She wanted to tell him how she was feeling, maybe taking the rejection she expected from it to send her back into her old self. Instead, her tongue wouldn't move to say anything else.
 
Instead, she did something that threw both her and Jun off. She leaned up, kissing the boy full on the lips. It was a soft, quick kiss, ending far too soon for her as she pulled away. Her cheeks were flushed, taking in a deep breath as she realized what she had done. Without giving him time to say anything, she turned. “Goodbye Jun…” She moved as fast as her feet could carry her through the crowds. Out she went, stepping into the torrential rain that was falling again.
 
Goodbye love…Salty tears mingled with the fresh raindrops as she raised her face to it. She looked back on the night as she stood at the train station early the next morning. Somehow she had expected maybe Jun would come to say goodbye again, maybe demand to know why the hell she had kissed him. But he didn't.
 
Tokyo, here I come…