Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ A Way into My Heart ❯ Lean on Me ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Lean on Me
 
Go shopping for food, fix the rip in the hem of this skirt, burn that one CD for Yukina, call Jun.The list kept repeating in her head as Aiko bustled around her apartment, frowning as she tried to find the list she had drawn up just last night for the food she'd need for this week. Giving a growl of frustration, she sank into the couch cushions, sighing as she leaned her head back against the back cushions.
 
It had been far too long a day. Summer should have meant time off from school and maybe a chance to get sleep. But life just didn't want to slow down for the nineteen year old. Ugh. Standing again, she wished dearly she could sit still but she needed to pick up the phone. One call and she'd be better. Just hearing his voice would be enough to rid her of the bad mood she had fallen into.
 
It had been only a few weeks since her last trip into Kobe, but she missed every second she couldn't be up there. She missed friends, family, but most of all, she missed Jun. Her boyfriend, though it was odd, even now, for her to say that aloud and in her mind. Jun, her best friend, was someone she had loved and now was sure she was in the right place.
 
Reaching for the phone, she paused, seeing the little red button blinking. Who left a message? Clicking on the phone, she called her messages, listening as a familiar voice came over the phone.
 
“Aiko, it's me…” Jun sounded odd, more distant than he usually was on his bad days. “I'm just…calling…” There was silence, broken by the erratic breathing and hitched voice as he tried to keep control. “My Grandfather died. I thought you'd want to know…the funeral's this weekend, though I know how busy you are…just, call me back, okay?”
 
Aiko stood there in shock for many moments, listening to the dial tone before she hung up. Her list of things were forgotten as she hurried to her room, throwing open her closet as she grasped her favorite suitcase before throwing things she'd need inside of the pink case. It only took her about fifteen minutes to get her things together. Jotting a note down for Yukina to read and know where Aiko had gone, the woman hurried down the ten flights of stairs before reaching the ground.
 
“Taxi!” She called, hailing down a green and white cab. Sitting inside, she instructed the driver to take her to the Train Station. The next train came soon after as Aiko boarded, seating herself in a compartment to herself as she watched the Japanese countryside fly by. Her eyes slowly closed as she gave a sigh, feeling herself drift off into a light sleep. It was hard to get any real sleep on the train; leastways that's what Aiko thought.
 
It wasn't long until she heard them call for Kobe. Wiping the sleep from her eyes, making sure she was awake, she stepped off the train and into the summer heat outdoors. She paused on the platform, remembering years ago when the heat had been almost unbearable. Hours were spent at the pool and up at the lake, which was only twenty minutes from Kobe.
 
Shaking her head, the woman called for another cab as she gave directions to get to the Saboru household. Even as the car approached the house, she felt an odd sense fall over her. There had never really been cheer there, but something felt like it was missing. She knew exactly what that missing piece was. “Thanks,” She muttered, handing over the money to the cab driver before she stepped out of the car, slamming the door as she paused before the door.
 
Though she hadn't been expecting it, it came as no huge surprise when she reached out to the door only to have it open. Aiko stumbled, though familiar hands caught her, steadying the female before she could fall flat on her face. “Aiko-chan?”
 
Bluntly put, Jun looked awful. His usual pale features looked almost ghostly white, dark circles beneath azure eyes, which looked as though he had been crying. Aiko felt her heart lurch out to him. Setting her bag down, she wordlessly pulled him into a tight embrace. “It's me,” She whispered softly, feeling him stiffen for a moment before, slowly, his arms wrapped around her.
 
“We should close the door…letting all the cool air out,” Jun murmured, pulling away from the hug as he reached behind Aiko, shutting the wooden door behind her. “I wasn't sure you'd be coming…”
 
Aiko frowned, placing her hands upon her hips, an exasperated sigh escaping her lips. “I'm here, aren't I?” Then, in a softer tone, she added, “Nothing could have kept me away.”
 
The remainder of the day was spent in almost complete silence. Aiko knew Jun was hurting as he went over plans for the funeral. She helped where she could, tidying up the house while he did that. Cleaning was almost therapeutic for Aiko as she hummed softly to herself, gathering laundry she could do a little later. But what more could she do right now? He had to come to her, open up in his own good time.
 
Night fell swiftly and, with it, Aiko felt herself growing so tired. She had traveled a long distance in one day and done a lot considering the time she had been given. Yet, when Jun insisted she take his bed for the night while he slept on the couch, Aiko refused. “Nonsense!” She argued, “I'll take the couch. You sleep in your own bed! I'll be fine!”
 
Jun didn't argue with her. The lights dimmed low, Aiko lay upon the couch, almost asleep as soon as her head touched the pillow she had been given. Yet her sleep wasn't deep as a strange and unfamiliar sound woke her in the middle of the night. Blinking against the darkness, Aiko let her eyes adjust as she frowned. Then she knew what the sound was, breaking her heart as soon as she realized it.
 
“Jun?” She opened his door slowly as the sound of his crying tried to come to a stop. She could see him, sitting on the edge of his bed. His body was shaking, almost as if he were working hard to stop the tears. Silently, she moved into the room, crawling across the bed as she wrapped her arms around him. “It's okay to cry…”
 
“It hurts Aiko…” He whispered, his voice breaking. Suddenly the torrent of emotions the male had been holding back broke free. He clung to Aiko, who held him in her arms. Slender fingers stroked his hair, brushing tears away from his face when she saw the moment. She didn't know how long they sat there until the tears slowed, his breathing starting to become steady again.
 
“I almost didn't cry…when my mother died,” Aiko said softly, resting her cheek against the top of his head, stroking his hair still. “I was only nine when it happened. My parents had their issues that neither wanted to work. They were going to get divorced. My father isn't the kindest person in the world, as you know,” She gain a derisive snort from her boyfriend before she continued. “I remember the day so clearly…”
 
“Aiko, my love,” Her mother was stroking her hair, running her fingers through the little girl's golden locks. “You should play. It's too nice to stay indoors.” This was true. Despite the cold, the late December day was gorgeous. Snow was perfect for playing in.
 
“Daddy said I couldn't go out until I finished my homework though,” The girl made a face as her mother laughed.
 
“Why don't you go out and do it later? I'm sure he'll understand…” her voice trailed off as Aiko gave a happy little squeal, rushing to grab her coat and things. She was stopped before going out the door, her mother catching the girl in a strong embrace. “I love you,” She whispered before letting Aiko bound into the snow.
 
“She killed herself while I played in the snow,” Aiko sighed softly, closing her eyes, remembering the rage on her father's face. “He blamed me, you know.”
 
“It wasn't your fault though,” Jun interjected, his voice quiet.
 
“In his mind I had let her die…” Sighing again, Aiko gingerly let go of Jun, threading her fingers though his as she took one of his hands. “Let me stay here tonight. You need me.” She added in a blunt tone.
 
He nodded slowly, feeling exhaustion slowly filtering into his body. Aiko brushed a thumb against a tear-stained cheek, reaching out with her lips to kiss the remaining tears away from his cheeks. “I love you Jun. That means I'm here for you. No matter what.”
 
He fell asleep in her arms, listening to the beat of Aiko's heart in his ear.