Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ An Absence of Light ❯ Just A Kiss ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 1: Just A Kiss
A Year After the Reaper's Defeat
 
 
The Reaper had won.
 
No one was aware of it, though, save Takato.
 
Certainly, the Reaper had been defeated soundly enough, the day and ultimately the world saved by four kids, their Digimon, and a bunch of aging computer wizards. But to Takato, that was meaningless. What'd he'd really been fighting for, in the end, still evaded him, even a year after the incident.
 
He had thought only other humans were capable of such treachery, but he was wrong.
 
The Reaper had stolen Juri's heart. The part that had anything resembling affection for him in it, anyway. To anyone else, she was quiet and reserved, only speaking when necessary. In sharp contrast, Takato had only been able to get glimpses of her since that fateful day when he'd risked all that he was (not to mention Guilmon) for her. She was obviously going out of her way to avoid him, and he didn't have the faintest idea why.
 
Out of desperation, Takato had gone to his father for advice.
 
“The human heart is a funny thing, Takato,” he'd said. “Sometimes it can't be won. At least not by a certain person.”
 
Takato hadn't understood, and had said so.
 
His father had sighed. “Sometimes, the heart you're after can only be won by someone else. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be between you and Juri.”
 
That was not the answer Takato had been looking for. And considering he'd nearly been killed saving Juri, it was totally unacceptable. How she could hate him for rescuing her, he wasn't sure, but he planned to find out.
 
* * * * *
 
Juri had carefully designed a schedule that was virtually Takato-free. It had taken a long time, too. She hadn't realized how much of her school day was centered around bumping into him and watching him blush. Of course, they no longer saw each other, and he no longer blushed. If anything, he looked concerned and then hurt when she avoided him.
 
Safety came with a high price.
 
Juri figured that if she shut herself off from everyone that was important to her, she couldn't hurt them, and wouldn't get hurt in return. Not really sound logic, but logical enough for a girl who had been kidnapped, cloned, and tortured by a sentient, soulless entity.
 
So, ironically, it was Juri's feelings for Takato that made her pretend she had none at all.
 
There was a hole in Juri's plan, though. A slim, walking, talking, Ruki-shaped hole.
 
As far as Juri could tell, there was no real reason why Ruki had been so protective of her the last few months. But whatever the reason, she often found herself enjoying the older girl's company without really meaning to. Juri was only vaguely aware of her friends' interaction with her clone, but many of the shared memories did involve Ruki attempting to comfort her.
 
In the end, Juri was just afraid, and needed someone to protect her. At one time, Takato had been the perfect person to do so. Now, it was Ruki. There was simply no other way for Juri to look at the matter.
 
Ruki would keep her safe from everyday problems, and anything beyond that would deal with the wrath of the Digimon Queen.
 
* * * * *
 
Pokomon was not an authority on humans or their behavior. However, she was quite proficient in All Things Ruki, and perhaps knew her Tamer better than she knew her own data. Ruki's mood always fit into one of three personalities: Angry!Ruki, Competitive!Ruki, or Gentle!Ruki (the elusive one of the bunch).
 
Generally, even in good moods, Competitive!Ruki was the reference point. Angry!Ruki was gradually becoming a bit less hostile, and had only emerged to deal with wild Digimon and occasionally Hirokazu and Kenta (Competitive!Ruki's dance card was reserved especially for Akiyama Ryo).
 
Pokomon noticed that Gentle!Ruki only came out when her grandmother was present…or when Juri was around. There was nothing wrong with that. Even Pokomon felt a certain fondness for the soft-spoken girl, though she suspected her feelings were more based on her Tamer's than anything else. Which meant that maybe there was a reason Angry!Ruki thought it was okay to yell at any boys she encountered.
 
Even if she hadn't been sure, just the way that Juri looked at Ruki was suspect. Pokomon understood her Tamer enough to know that Ruki probably wouldn't pick up on this until it was too late to stop it. But then, Pokomon wasn't sure Ruki would even want to stop it if she did know. So she merely stayed in the background, watching the two girls grow closer and waiting for the inevitable heartbreak of another Tamer.
 
And considering she could only watch from the Digital World, there wasn't much else to do.
 
* * * * *
 
Juri quickly thanked Mr. Matsuda for the cream puffs and dashed out of the door. She'd nearly made it to the corner when someone stepped out of the alley, blocking her path.
 
“Juri-chan…?” asked a hesitant, hopeful voice.
 
Juri gasped and stopped, debating whether it would be totally cowardly to run the other way…and if he'd follow her. “Takato,” she said at length, clutching her bag of cream puffs tightly.
 
The hurt in his eyes was obvious as he spoke. “I haven't seen you around lately. You haven't returned my calls.”
 
Juri looked at her shoes. “I've…been busy.”
 
“Too busy…for me?”
 
No matter how hard she wanted to pretend he didn't matter, Juri couldn't bring herself to say yes.
 
“I've missed you so much, Juri-chan.” He paused. “Did…I do something wrong?”
 
She shook her head, trying to hide her tears. “No, Takato.”
 
He reached out and cupped her elbow. “We used to be friends. What is it you want us to be now?”
 
“Nothing,” she whispered, raising her head to look him in the eye. “Nothing at all.”
 
Takato flinched as if she'd struck him and let go. It wasn't supposed to be this way. He'd thought they'd resolve whatever was between them, possibly hug, and then make plans to go to the school dance later on in the week. And now…this was happening.
 
“I'm late, Takato,” Juri said. “Please let me go.”
 
Part of him wanted to tell her he couldn't possibly do that, ever. He quieted it and stepped aside. “Sayonara, Juri. Enjoy your cream puffs.”
 
She stood there a moment longer, and then ran past him.
 
Takato felt part of his heart flee with her…the part that hadn't shattered instantly.
 
* * * * *
 
Ruki was stretched out in her backyard when a shadow fell over her, blocking the early morning sunlight. With an annoyed sigh, she opened one eye.
 
“I brought you some breakfast, Ruki-san,” said a distracted voice.
 
Ruki blinked and pushed her shades up onto her forehead. “I told you to stop that, Juri-chan. You make me feel like an old woman when you call me that.”
 
“You don't LOOK like an old woman,” Juri murmured, her eyes no longer on Ruki's face.
 
Ruki lowered her shades again. “It's just okaasan's old swimsuit. Of course, she only used it for sunbathing, since actually touching water would ruin her hair and make-up…” She chuckled dryly.
 
Juri nodded aimlessly, sitting at Ruki's feet as she opened the bag. “Do you want raspberry or lemon?”
 
“Surprise me,” Ruki replied, holding out her hand.
 
Juri dug out a raspberry and handed it to her, blushing as their fingertips touched.
 
“Thanks.” Ruki bit down, looking thoughtful. “Mmm. Takato made these for you?”
 
Juri suddenly became tightlipped. “No. Why?”
 
“It was just a question, Juri-chan. You don't have to get so defensive.”
 
“I…we're not speaking.”
 
Ruki paused to swallow. “Shame. He adores you.”
 
“Maybe I found someone else to adore,” Juri said, raising her chin defiantly.
 
“Must be someone special to desert poor Takato like that.”
 
Juri's eyes narrowed. “Why do you keep mentioning him?”
 
“Why do you keep treating him like the plague?” Ruki countered. “Maybe you didn't realize it, but no one worked harder to get you back than him. And if we hadn't knocked some sense into him at times, he and Guilmon would've died trying to save you. I just can't figure out why you don't like him.”
 
“I just don't want anyone else to get hurt because of me!”
 
“Then why are you ripping Takato's heart in two? There's no one else for him to blame but himself.”
 
“Why are you taking his side?!” Juri cried, getting to her feet. “I-I thought you'd understand!”
 
Ruki took off her shades and sat up. “Well, I don't. So make me, Juri. Tell me why you gave up on him.”
 
Juri hesitated, and then sank to her knees, reaching up and gently cupping Ruki's face in her hands. “For you, Ruki-chan,” she said softly, tears streaming down her face. “I gave up on him for you…”
 
“Juri…” Ruki pulled her up, their lips just inches apart. “Are you sure about this?”
 
“Can we find out…together?” Juri breathed. “Please?”
 
Ruki smiled at her. “What do you think?”
 
* * * * *
 
Takato did anything and everything to keep himself from thinking of Juri. He'd thrown himself entirely into the family business, sometimes taking over the shop for days at a time without being asked to. His father thought it was responsible, but his mother thought it was crazy. Although with Takato being one of the most recognizable faces in town, it certainly helped business. Apparently, people thought it was interesting that a simple baker's son could save the world…and then go right back to baking.
 
But it was more than just that.
 
Almost every other kid asked for Guilmon bread, or some other treat shaped like a Digimon that had fought against the Reaper. The Culumon cupcakes were especially tasty, but too sweet to eat all at once.
 
Eventually, people began to forget, and soon Takato only made the cupcakes for himself. Occasionally, he could coax Ruki's grandmother or Shuichon to take some home, but that was about it.
 
And then, one day while he was in the middle of baking tarts, she walked in.
 
Takato had seen her before, he was certain of that. The blonde hair in pigtails and pale, haunting blue eyes seemed so familiar. But he couldn't recall her name…at least, not right away. She was in the middle of explaining how she wanted her bread prepared when he'd interrupted with, “Alice? Is that you?”
 
She stared at him for a long moment and then gasped. “Takato?!”
 
He laughed, suddenly feeling relieved. “You don't know how good it is to see you. I started to think this was all a bad dream. Now I know I'm not crazy.”
 
“Could be,” Alice said doubtfully, but she said it with a smile.
 
“Well, at least the two of us are sane enough to recognize each other.”
 
“Or so crazy that we're both out of our gourds and just happened to end up on the same wavelength.”
 
Takato grinned. “I never knew you could be so…”
 
“Weird?” she offered.
 
“Uh…I was going to say amusing,” he replied, trying not to be rude.
 
“You did happen to meet me while I was running for my life. There wasn't much time to be amusing.”
 
Takato hesitated. “I'm sorry.”
 
“About what?” she asked, staring at him.
 
“You know,” Takato said uneasily, trying not to be blunt.
 
Alice blinked. “You mean…Dobermon? That wasn't your fault, Takato.”
 
“But it was. He sacrificed himself for us.”
 
She shrugged. “That was his purpose. To help you. To help us all, really. That's the purpose of any Digimon that has a partner, I think. Anyway, I'm not the only one that lost a friend.”
 
Takato shook his head. “It's different for everyone else. Guilmon is still alive in the Digital World.”
 
Alice smiled kindly. “Don't get me wrong, I do miss Dobermon. Maybe I won't ever be a Tamer, and that's okay. Just knowing him was a privilege. You don't have to feel sorry for me. In fact, I wish you wouldn't. You're so much cuter when you're smiling.”
 
Takato blushed, completely unprepared for that revelation. “Um…didn't you want some bread?”
 
She continued to smile. “I did. Weren't you supposed to be making it for me?”
 
“Oh. Um…right!” He rushed off to get started.
 
Alice giggled. The last time she'd seen Takato, there had been no time for happiness and laughter. She had been impressed by how strong and brave he was, but now it was his kind nature that impressed her.
 
Within a few moments, Takato had her order ready. He'd also snuck a few Culumon cupcakes in the bag, but she'd find that out later.
 
“Smells great,” Alice said after she'd paid him, giving the bag a hearty sniff. “Thanks, Takato. It was nice talking to you.” She gave him a little wave and turned to go, albeit a little slower than she usually moved.
 
A few seconds later, he said uncertainly, “Alice, wait!”
 
She stopped, smiling to herself before she looked back. “Yes?”
 
“Um…would it be too weird…if I offered to walk you home?”
 
“No,” Alice replied airily, “but I'd prefer if you asked first.”
 
Takato blushed. “Oh. Then…may I? We could talk some more, if you want…”
 
“I'd like that a lot,” she said, grinning at him.
 
* * * * *
 
Next Chapter: Juri and Ruki get closer, but so do Takato and Alice. Jenrya makes a big decision, and Shuichon isn't pleased. That, and Terriermon is back!
 
Digidex
Culumon: (Calumon) a.k.a. Light of Digivolution. The power of Digivolution given physical form. I've also seen his named spelled Kulumon and Kurumon
Dobermon: Alice's Digimon companion (not partner) during the Reaper saga. He sacrificed himself to give the Tamers the ability to Bio-Merge in the real world.
Pokomon: Infant/In-Training form of Renamon.
 
Okaasan - mother