Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ An Absence of Light ❯ Darkness Rising ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 4: Darkness Rising
 
 
For some reason, Shuichon didn't mind being on “house arrest” so much after that first week. Every day, as soon as she got home, she went straight to her room…and stayed there unless she was called out.
 
Her father thought she was being a good little girl, as she usually was.
 
Her mother was a bit more suspicious, but knew better than to question a good thing.
 
Even her siblings couldn't figure out what Shuichon was up to, though they both agreed that had been Jenrya's job, and without him around to do it, questioning their youngest sister's actions just seemed…unnatural. Jenrya had been closest to her, both in age and heart.
 
Which all worked out just fine for Shuichon, since she was almost positive someone would yell if they knew what she was doing in her room all that time.
 
* * * * *
 
Antiramon exploded from the mountain range and ran through the pounding rain at breakneck speed. At any other time, he might have welcomed the refreshing rain, but all it served to do now was slow him down. This was certainly a time when he needed to be at his fastest. Anything less would ensure his destruction.
 
Fifteen seconds later, the entire mountain range simply ceased to exist.
 
The cause soon became all too obvious: at least thirty Cyber Dramon tore through the dark sky at impossible speeds, even for them. Upon spotting Antiramon, they made a beeline for him, their extended claws glinting with the promise of obliteration.
 
Antiramon lowered his head and ran on, determined to escape. Perhaps he could've dealt with one or two, and had these been normal Cyber Dramon, that wouldn't have been a problem. They were simply not pack Digimon—it was rare to see more than two together at any time. For this many to be together, and all of one mind, something had to be driving them, controlling them…other than the usual bloodlust, that is.
 
Salvation came into view as Antiramon spotted a small group of Digi-gnomes up ahead, playing in a large puddle. Unfortunately, their presence here would also doom them: the tiny creatures smelled of pure power, something that couldn't be missed by the Cyber Dramon. Putting on another burst of speed, he sprinted forward and scooped them up in his long arms and ears. “Help me, little ones,” he gasped, “for all our sakes.”
 
Several of the gnomes went to work at once; Antiramon could feel some of his extraordinary strength returning, and his strides became longer, even as his load became lighter. He would not forget this sacrifice, assuming he made it out alive himself. He could only run for so long, and he was not likely to run into such a blessing again in time.
 
Suddenly, his ears picked up a few tiny wails. He turned his head and watched in horror as several tiny lights were crushed by the charging Cyber Dramon. “No,” he whispered, the rage welling up inside him. “They were…totally innocent…they didn't deserve such a fate…” He knew for a fact that Digi-gnomes instinctively sought to help any Digimon they encountered.
 
Suddenly, he thought of Shuichon, and how he might never hold her again if he didn't survive. He thought of these bloodthirsty creatures taking over the Digital World, and then seeping through to the Real World. He thought of one of them raising his claws to strike down his sweet, innocent Shuichon…
 
With a howl of defiance, Antiramon jerked to a stop and turned to face the advancing horde. “Forgive me, my friends,” he pleaded before absorbing the remaining Digi-gnomes into himself, harnessing their considerable power in a way he had sworn never to as long as he could think rationally.
 
He could feel his body aching, struggling to take in and use all the power he'd forced into himself. Then he began to writhe in pain and fear as his form began to twist and swell into something he'd seen only in his worst nightmares. His paws throbbed and grew larger, dark violet fur overtaking brown. His red eyes bulged and became narrowed portals of yellow. His teeth became longer and sharper, protruding from his mouth in a wicked grin. He more than tripled in both size and power, and reached the horrible realization that he liked what he had become.
 
“Yes,” he whispered in a deep, gravelly voice that was not his own. “Come to Kerpymon, fools…come to me and prove yourselves unworthy.” He raised his paws to the sky and roared, “Heaven's Judgment!”
 
Solid black lightning leapt from the clouds and ripped through the Cyber Dramon, reducing their numbers by half in an instant. Those that had dodged kept coming.
 
Kerpymon only laughed wickedly as he rushed to meet them…
 
* * * * *
 
Monodramon had suffered many a sleepless night since becoming Ryo's partner. But that was usually because part of him—the part that housed Millenniumon's soul—was flaring up, demanding to destroy.
 
Somehow, this time, it was much scarier. Cyber Dramon was the form that needed constant monitoring and control, both of which came unfailingly from Ryo. Without Ryo, Monodramon knew he would be lost.
 
For he could not remember a single time when Akiyama Ryo hadn't been in complete control of the situation.
 
But now, as he watched his partner caught in the throes of a feverish nightmare from which the boy either would not or could not awaken, Monodramon feared for Ryo's life, and for his own. He honestly had no idea what he should do. If he stayed, he would have to watch Ryo suffer for however long this lasted, and that was akin to watching someone twist his own heart in two. If he left to get help, and wasn't there when Ryo awakened and needed him the most…he couldn't bear to think what the boy would go through alone.
 
Finally, he asked himself what Ryo would've done in his place.
 
The answer was simple, and with a weary sigh, Monodramon settled down next to the boy, brushing sweat from his weary partner's forehead. Ryo had never left him in all their time together, never trusted anyone else to be able to handle the Digimon's frequent violent rages. How could he do any less the one time Ryo was helpless and needed his care?
 
“Hang in there, Ryo,” Monodramon pleaded, shutting his eyes tightly. “You have to. You're too important to both worlds…”
 
The words had barely left his mouth when black smoke issued from Ryo's gaping mouth. The smoke took the form of a familiar, armor-covered Digimon with four crimson wings before seemingly vanishing into thin air.
 
Ryo moaned in his sleep and shook his head from side to side, then collapsed and lay far too still.
 
* * * * *
 
Takato winced automatically as lightning flashed outside his parents' bakery. “Is it storming where you are, too?” he said into the phone.
 
“The sky's darker than most of my dresses,” Alice replied uneasily. “I can't ever remember a storm being this bad.”
 
“Tell me about it. I might have to close up early. No one's crazy enough to want bread in this weather.”
 
“I don't know. Some crazy kid might walk ten miles in the rain for some Culumon cupcakes.”
 
“Very funny,” Takato said, rolling his eyes. “The sad thing is, you might be right. I could just imagine someone like…” He trailed off suddenly, swallowing hard.
 
“Like who?” Alice asked.
 
“…like Juri,” Takato sighed. “It was the sort of thing she would've done.”
 
“Maybe you should call her house, make sure she's home,” Alice suggested. “I'd hate to be stuck out there.”
 
Takato blinked. “You…don't mind?”
 
“Takato. I would mind if you called Juri to ask for a date. I don't mind if you call to make sure she's okay. That's just human decency. But don't you get chatty, mister.”
 
“Yes, ma'am,” he replied with a smile. “Thanks.”
 
“No problem. I'll see you later.”
 
Takato hung up and started to dial Juri's number when the bell over the front door jingled. He turned in surprise to see a small person in a pink raincoat stumble in, getting water all over the floor. “That is just a little too convenient to be a coincidence,” he muttered to himself before putting on his sales face.
 
He needn't have bothered, since he instantly recognized the voice that originated from the hood.
 
“Is that you, Takato?”
 
He nearly leaped over the counter as he rushed to her. “Shuichon?!” he cried in disbelief, removing her hood. “What are you doing here?! That's a storm out there, and you…” He paused and tilted his head slightly. “…hey. You're not supposed to leave the house at night!”
 
“But I had to!” she protested.
 
“Wasn't Impmon supposed to be watching you?”
 
Shuichon grinned. “He helped me climb out the window.”
 
Takato sighed as he tugged off her raincoat. “Well, since you ARE here, you might as well stay. You hungry?”
 
“No…oh, I can't stay! I have to get some food to my…um…my friend!”
 
“Your friend chose a bad time to get the munchies,” Takato replied, setting her down on the counter. “And to send you out in this storm, no less…”
 
“But I promised I'd go,” Shuichon interrupted. “He was starving, and I felt sorry for him. I didn't have time to feed him this morning, and he was getting cranky.”
 
Takato stopped. If he didn't know any better, he'd say that sounded something like his first day with Guilmon. “Shui-chan…what's your friend look like…?”
 
“Um…he's short, has dark skin, and a big mouth. Why?”
 
“What's his name?”
 
“…Pepper.”
 
Takato looked at her. “Shuichon. You wouldn't lie to me, would you?”
 
“No.” She glanced around nervously. “Can I have some food now? He was really hungry when I left…”
 
“Is your friend a Digimon?” Takato asked, holding her chin up so she had to look at him.
 
“…yes,” Shuichon said quietly.
 
“What KIND of Digimon, exactly?”
 
“Um…the black kind with big mouths?”
 
Takato frowned. “That really doesn't help.”
 
“He's a dinosaur. And smoke comes out of his nose when he sneezes.”
 
“What does he eat?”
 
“I've been giving him meat…he won't eat any sweets.”
 
“Is he…friendly?”
 
“Well…I think he WANTS to be, but…”
 
“But what?” Takato asked, paling a bit.
 
“He's in a bad mood most of the time. I think it's because he was hurt when I found him.”
 
“Has he…hurt you?”
 
“No! He snaps at me when he's mad, but he never bit me. Sometimes, when he's eating, he'll let me pat his nose.”
 
“And Impmon never said anything?” Takato murmured, starting to get angry.
 
“He said it was my business what I did with stray Digimon, and if it ate me it was my own fault.”
 
“Shui-chan, listen. You can't just…KEEP any Digimon you find.”
 
“You won't tell anyone, will you?” Shuichon asked, her eyes pleading with him. “I know if I spend some more time with him, he'll be just like a puppy! I even taught him how to play dead!”
 
“That's great, but…a wild Digimon is a big respon-”
 
“Pleeease, Takato?” she begged, tugging on his shirt. “Please let me keep him?”
 
He was weakening, and he knew he shouldn't, but…the way she was LOOKING at him, he really didn't want to say no to her, but this was a Digimon, and it was probably dangerous when it got mad…
 
“Pleeease?” she asked in a tiny voice, pressing her little face into his chest. “Please, Takato-oniichan…?”
 
Oh, that did it. He'd been an only child all his life, and he was fully aware that Jenrya was her real brother, but something melted in Takato when she called him that. He sighed and shook his head. “I know I'm going to regret this, I just know it…”
 
“Yaaaay!” Shuichon latched onto his neck and covered his face with little kisses. “Thank you, Takato!”
 
“Okay, okay! I already said yes,” Takato gasped, red in the face as he gently pulled her off. “Just promise me you'll be careful.”
 
“I will, I promise! Can we keep him in Guilmon's cave when he gets bigger?”
 
“Um…sure, I guess,” Takato replied uneasily. “What makes you think he's going to get bigger?”
 
“Well, he's shorter than me now. I figure he can only get bigger.”
 
Takato tried not to dwell on THAT particular thought. He was just about to suggest calling her parents when the lights went out. “Oh, great. You okay, Shui-chan?”
 
Her answer was to shine a bright light in his face. “Yup! I thought I might need this flashlight.”
 
Takato scowled. He wished he'd thought to bring one down with him earlier. It was going to be hard enough to seem tough with a pink, girly flashlight, but he'd make do with what they had. “C'mon, cutie,” he said, picking her up. “I need you to hold the light while I check the circuit breakers.”
 
“Maybe you shouldn't mess with it,” Shuichon said matter-of-factly. “Okaasan says most men break stuff they're trying to fix.”
 
“I've done this millions of times. It's just flipping a switch. In fact, I'll even let YOU do it.”
 
“Okay,” she replied, sounding somewhat relieved. “But what if that doesn't work?”
 
“Then I've got a battery-powered lantern in my room that should still work.” Takato's mood improved as they reached the back of the bakery. “Here we go. The box is right around-” He stopped suddenly.
 
“What? What's wrong?” Shuichon asked, sensing his discomfort.
 
Takato swallowed. If his mind was playing tricks on him during a storm, then that was one thing. But if it wasn't, then something absolutely HUGE and winged had just passed by the window. “Nothing. Let's just-”
 
The window and most of the back wall suddenly exploded outwards, showering them with debris. Takato instinctively turned his back to the explosion, trying to shield Shuichon as best he could.
 
Amazingly, Shuichon didn't scream. Instead, she aimed her flashlight at the huge hole as a large, shadowy figure lumbered into view.
 
Takato's eyes widened in shock as the beam landed on a large, sharp horn and red, narrowed eyes. “There's…no way,” he whispered.
 
The beam then landed on the creature's chest, revealing a gray X.
 
“It's XV-mon!” Shuichon squealed excitedly. “Don't worry, Takato! He's a good Digimon!”
 
Takato bit his lip. Guilmon was a bit excitable at times, and even HE had never taken out an entire bakery wall. Something wasn't right about this Digimon. All Takato knew was that this XV-mon didn't seem anywhere near as friendly as the one on TV, and since his name wasn't Daisuke, he wasn't going anywhere near it if he could help it. Slowly, he began to back up, inching closer to the stairs.
 
“No, Takato!” Shuichon cried, struggling to get down. “I want his autograph!”
 
The XV-mon began to growl softly as it forced its way into the bakery, taking out more of the wall in the process.
 
Takato threw caution to the wind and bolted up the stairs, clutching Shuichon as tightly as he dared without actually hurting her. She REALLY wanted that autograph, it seemed.
 
Once upstairs, Takato forgot all about the lantern and made a beeline for his room. He planned to go down the fire escape, but was shocked to find the metal stairway twisted beyond repair. He was almost certain he could see several bites mark as well.
 
“Takato, why are we running?!” Shuichon demanded.
 
“I don't think he's in the mood to sign anything,” Takato said firmly. Somehow, he didn't think she would believe this Digimon was bad until it was chewing on them.
 
“You don't know that! Let's go back!” she cried.
 
The floor burst open as XV-mon's horned head came into view, knocking Takato off balance. The rest of the dragon's body emerged, his large wings stretching to be free.
 
Takato had no time to dodge as a wing knocked him out the window. Before he had time to see the ground rushing up to meet them, he landed hard on his shoulder, hissing in pain. For some reason, though, he knew if he'd hit solid ground, it should've hurt a lot worse. Risking a peek, he was amazed to find they'd landed in a half-full dumpster.
 
“Ew! Smelly!” Shuichon complained, holding her nose shut.
 
“Shui-chan, this REALLY isn't the time for-”
 
The dumpster lurched and creaked in protest as a great weight landed on it.
 
Takato gulped as a huge shadow fell over them. He slowly raised his head.
 
XV-mon stared down at him, red eyes glowing with menace as he lowered his head and opened his mouth, revealing some very sharp teeth.
 
Shuichon didn't seem to be affected by that, however. “NOW can I have your autograph, Mr. XV-mon?” she asked politely with a big smile.
 
* * * * *
 
Next Chapter: Guilmon makes a last-minute save, Beelzebumon protects Ruki & Juri, and a new Digigod appears.
 
 
Digidex
Antiramon (Antylamon): The former rabbit Deva, Shuichon's partner Digimon (in Perfect/Ultimate form).
Kerpymon (Cherubimon): Ultimate/Mega form of Antiramon. Yes, same as the bad rabbit in Frontier.
Monodramon: Child/Rookie form of Cyber Dramon, Ryo's Cyborg Dragon Digimon. This one was reborn after forcibly fusing with Millenniumon, resulting in Cyber Dramon's DigiEgg.
Millenniumon: An evil, legendary dragon with godlike power, born of a Mugen Dramon and Chimeramon fusion. His abilities include warping time and space, and apparent immortality. As Ryo's true partner, their lives are ultimately inseparable.
XV-mon (Ex-Veemon): A Phantom Dragon Digimon, best known as the Adult/Champ form of Davis's partner, V-mon in Season 2.