Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ An Absence of Light ❯ Day of the Dragons ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 7: Day of the Dragons
 
 
Takato had warned her in advance that the ride might be a little bumpy.
 
Alice was more of the opinion that she was lucky she hadn't vomited. The only thing that made the experience even somewhat pleasant was the fact that she managed to land on Guilmon's back. Especially since Takato came hurtling through seconds later, crashing ungracefully in the grass.
 
She would've laughed if it weren't for his injured arm, which began to bother him after that.
 
“I'm fine,” Takato insisted later as they walked through the forest.
 
“At least let Guilmon carry you,” she pleaded. “I don't mind walking.”
 
“No. You need to save your strength, in case you have to run.”
 
“What about you?”
 
“I'd stay behind to help Guilmon,” he replied simply.
 
“You DO remember me telling you I wasn't about to let you get eaten, right?”
 
Takato smiled patiently. “I appreciate the thought, but Dukemon is the best protection we have. If we run into anything that can beat him, well…it deserves to eat us.”
 
Alice frowned. “That's not as reassuring as you probably meant it to be.”
 
“Don't worry,” Guilmon said from beneath her. “I won't let anything eat you, Alice.”
 
She smiled faintly and patted his head. “Thanks, Guilmon.”
 
Guilmon suddenly came to a halt, and a low growl began to build in his throat.
 
Takato stopped as well. “What is it, boy? You smell something?”
 
Seconds later, a large, red insect Digimon dropped from the trees, blocking their path.
 
“Kuwagamon,” Takato murmured, grasping his D-Arc. “Stay behind us, Alice. Guilmon can handle this.”
 
“Can he handle those two at the same time?” Alice asked as two more Kuwagamon emerged, surrounding them.
 
Takato sweatdropped. “On second thought, maybe we should make a run for it.”
 
“They're too fast,” Guilmon said. “They'd catch you before you got far. I'll fight them, Takato.”
 
“We'd better make you as fast as they are,” he replied. “Card Slash, Combo! Hyper Wing, Activate! Speed, Activate!”
 
In a blur of bright light, Guilmon vanished.
 
The Kuwagamon glanced around in confusion, before they were each suddenly hit by an unseen force.
 
Takato grabbed Alice's hand and pulled her away from the fight.
 
“Why didn't you have him evolve?” she asked softly.
 
“If our luck holds out, he won't have to,” Takato replied. “Besides, if I wear him out now, he won't be able to protect us later.”
 
As they watched, one of the Kuwagamon was sent flying into a tree, while another roared in pain as a fireball slammed into its back.
 
“Exactly how strong IS Guilmon?” Alice asked. “They're at a higher level than him.”
 
“Well, I made sure he ate a LOT at Shuichon's,” Takato replied. “The more food he gets, the more energy there is to burn. Works that way for most Digimon, I think.”
 
Alice was about to say something else when her face suddenly paled. “Um…Takato? What is that…?”
 
He looked where she was pointing to see a HUGE horn emerging from the top of the trees. “Oh no,” he whispered. “I think one of them called for back-up. That's…Altur Kabuterimon?!” he cried after checking his D-Arc.
 
“There's no way Guilmon can handle that, too!” Alice cried. “Call him back! We have to get out of here!”
 
Takato raised his voice. “Guilmon, STOP!”
 
Guilmon instantly became visible again, looking back at his Tamer in confusion. “But I was winning! Wasn't I?”
 
“You won't be for long! Look up!”
 
Guilmon turned, surprised to see that the three Kuwagumon were flying away. “Does this mean I win?” Then he saw the huge shadow sweeping across the clearing. “Uh oh…”
 
“Come on, Guilmon!” Alice shouted. “You have to run!”
 
“I know it's a bug, but it's a BIG BUG!” Takato wailed desperately.
 
Guilmon sniffed the air carefully. “But, Takatomon…it doesn't SMELL like a bug…”
 
The reason for that soon became all too clear. The Altur Kabuterimon suddenly exploded into seemingly millions of leaves, covering the clearing in a whirlwind of them. A slim, furry figure landed gracefully in the midst of the whirlwind.
 
“I'm going to take that as a compliment, Guilmon,” the Digimon replied as it stepped into view.
 
“Renamon!” Guilmon cried happily. “You beat the big bug!”
 
Renamon chuckled. “No, Guilmon. I WAS the big bug.”
 
“Re…Renamon?” Takato asked in disbelief as he approached. “Is that really you…?”
 
She nodded. “I didn't mean to startle you, but I thought Ruki warned you I could change my shape.” She was about to go into a more detailed explanation when Takato suddenly flung himself at her and hugged her tightly.
 
“It's you!” he laughed in relief. “It's really you, Renamon!”
 
Renamon stared down at him awkwardly, before finally smiling and placing a gentle paw on the Tamer's head. “I missed you, too, Takato.” She looked up as Alice ventured closer. “Hello, Alice. We really should stop meeting like this.”
 
Alice smiled. “No kidding. How did you DO that?”
 
“It's called Fox Change Void, or shape-shifting. I've always been able to do it, but I've never really had a need for it until recently.” She smirked. “Guilmon could've handled them on his own, but I thought I should step in, in the interest of saving time.”
 
“Are we in a hurry?” Alice asked.
 
“We will be, if we're wise,” Renamon replied. “The winds of change are blowing strong, and I'm certain you wouldn't have come now if there wasn't trouble back in your world. Am I right?”
 
Takato nodded. “Really strong Digimon have been attacking us. There was an XV-mon, two Cyber Dramon, and-”
 
“Greymon?” Renamon offered, her eyes narrowing.
 
“…yeah,” Alice said. “But how'd you know?”
 
“I have a theory about where they're coming from,” Renamon said, lashing her tail. “But I won't be able to prove it until we're back in your world.”
 
“Do you know where Marine Angemon and Guardromon are?” Takato asked.
 
“No, I don't. But I have a feeling they will show up if they are needed. Presently, there are more pressing matters to deal with.”
 
“Like what?” Guilmon asked curiously.
 
“The Digital World has been overrun by dragon Digimon and their relatives recently. They have one thing in common: they've all been forms of Agumon or V-mon, or just Cyber Dramon. I assume it has something to do with Qinglongmon, but I can't be sure what. He seems to be…inaccessible as of late. At any rate, the dragons are becoming stronger, fire attacks have nearly tripled in power, and even the strongest Digimon are finding them difficult to deal with. Things cannot continue this way.”
 
“Then…we're in danger?” Takato asked. “Well…more than usual, I mean?”
 
“Hardly,” Renamon replied with a smug smile. “Kyuubimon has only benefited from this change, and I have no doubt the same will apply to Guilmon. We should be just fine…assuming we don't run into any large numbers of dragons, that is. That's part of why we should be hurrying.”
 
“Is there something else we should be worried about?” Alice wondered.
 
“Well, yes.” Renamon sighed. “I'm afraid…the dragons are bringing about some rather violent changes in the Digital World.”
 
“I can imagine,” Alice muttered.
 
“Actually, you can't. I don't mean just that they're hurting other Digimon. For most Digimon, fighting to survive is instinctive. Many will do whatever they feel is necessary to win, and some have to be driven to that point…like Lopmon was.”
 
“Lopmon???” Takato asked in shock. “Shuichon's Lopmon?!”
 
“Yes, Takato. He was attacked by dragons…Cyber Dramon, if my nose serves me well. During the battle, he achieved his Ultimate form of Kerpymon.”
 
“He can DO that? Without Shuichon?”
 
“Normally, he wouldn't be able to. But desperate times create desperate Digimon. Him reaching this stage on his own was about as natural as Guilmon becoming Megidramon.”
 
Takato and Guilmon both shivered at that memory.
 
“So…Lopmon's…evil now? Is that what you're saying?” Takato asked quietly.
 
“What I am saying is that it would be best not to encounter him right now. He might not know us…and if he did, it would only be as enemies. He's not the same, Takato. I truly doubt he ever will be again.”
 
“So what do we do?” Alice asked.
 
“I see we have a Tamer without a Digimon. We should do our best to change that at once.”
 
“How, though? Where do we even start looking?”
 
“Try your D-Arc,” Renamon suggested. “Is it pointing to anything at all?”
 
“Yes, actually,” Alice replied in surprise. “It's pointing west.”
 
“Then that is where we will find your new Digimon. Unfortunately, it's also where we're likely to find many others, who probably aren't happy about the increase in dragons these days.” She sighed. “I do wish you'd brought Ruki, though. It's going to be harder to protect you when I'm not at full strength.”
 
“She wanted to stay with Juri and Shuichon,” Takato said, “and I made both Impmon and Culumon stay to protect them.”
 
Renamon nodded. “It's probably for the best. We'd better get going. Guilmon, you carry Takato, and I'll get Alice.”
 
“I know Takato's arm is bothering him, but why shouldn't I walk?” Alice asked as Renamon scooped her up.
 
“We can't take the chance that a Digimon—namely, Kerpymon—might follow human footprints. It's going to be hard enough masking your scents.”
 
“Sorry,” Alice replied uncertainly.
 
Renamon squeezed her shoulder. “Don't be. Once we add another Digimon to the group, we should be able to hide your scents easily. It's just another reason we should hurry.”
 
* * * * *
 
“Come on, Pepper!” Shuichon coaxed, waving the sandwich. “You can do it!”
 
The Black Agumon stared at her uncertainly from across the room, and then at the food in her hand.
 
“That's right, it's food! If you want it, all you have to do is come to me. Come to Mommy!”
 
Slowly, Pepper walked towards her, his eyes on the sandwich.
 
Ruki sighed from the corner. “Shuichon, how long are you going to keep that up?”
 
“Until he figures out to come to me when he's hungry,” Shuichon replied. “He has to learn that I'm his Mommy now.” She grinned as Pepper reached her, and rewarded him with the food and a kiss on the snout. “Good boy!”
 
Ruki shook her head, and then looked down as her cell phone began to ring.
 
Before she could answer it, Juri snatched it away, grinning impishly. “Moshi moshi? Oh, HI, Jen-kun!”
 
Ruki blinked in surprise. “Jenrya?”
 
“Yes, she's right here.” Juri handed Ruki the phone. “He says it's really important.”
 
Ruki frowned as she took the phone. “Go ahead, Jenrya.”
 
“There was a Metal Greymon in my backyard, Ruki,” Jenrya said. “Anything you want to tell me?”
 
“Really? Did you get it?”
 
“…Terriermon took care of it.”
 
“Oh, good. You're okay?”
 
“Ruki, that's not the point! HOW did it get here?”
 
“Same way the Cyber Dramon, XV-mon, and Greymon did.”
 
“Oh.” After a second's thought, he added, “Why did I get the Metal Greymon then?!”
 
Ruki smirked. “It must have sensed your overwhelming battle skills, Jen-kun.”
 
There was a brief silence before Jenrya asked, “Did anyone ever tell you that you have a really lousy sense of humor, Ruki?”
 
“Nope. Takato and Alice have gone to the Digital World to get our Digimon. I guess they don't have to look for Terriermon now?”
 
“Um…yeah. I was gonna mention that, honest.”
 
“Sure.” She lowered her voice as her gaze landed on Pepper and Shuichon. “Um…I'm with Shuichon right now. Do you want to…?”
 
There was a long pause. “If she'll listen, yes.”
 
Ruki lowered the phone. “Shuichon? Jenrya's on the phone. Do you want to talk to him?”
 
Shuichon paused for a moment, but finally came over and took the phone. “Can I ask you something?” she said into the mouthpiece.
 
“Of course, Shuichon,” Jenrya replied, sounding somewhat relieved.
 
“What do Agumon eat?”
 
“…Agumon?”
 
“You know. The little dinosaurs?”
 
“Ah…yes, I know what they are. Um…meat, I suppose.”
 
“Don't give it candy!” Terriermon suddenly shouted in the background.
 
“Is that Terriermon?!” Shuichon squealed.
 
Jenrya sighed. “Yes, and what…Shuichon, do you have another Digimon with you?”
 
“…bye, oniichan!” She clicked off the phone and handed it back to Ruki. “Done!”
 
“Yeah, I heard.” Ruki blinked a few times. “Don't look now, but you've got a shadow.”
 
Shuichon felt a tug on the back of her shirt, and turned to see Pepper clinging to her. “Pepper!” she cheered, hugging the Black Agumon. “You really came to me! GOOD boy! That's right, I'm your Mommy!”
 
Ruki shook her head. “Now I've seen it all.”
 
* * * * *
 
All things considered, Alice didn't mind sleeping on the ground too much. Renamon's fur was warmer and somehow much more comfortable than a blanket to her. And if she closed her eyes, she could even imagine it was Dobermon instead…but she didn't.
 
Nearby, Takato had long since fallen asleep, slumped over Guilmon's back at an odd angle. She thought they were awfully cute together, especially when they were sleeping.
 
But comfortable as she was, sleep wasn't coming so easily. Alice sighed and lifted her gaze to the sky, focusing on the pale moon. Her eyelids had just begun to get heavy when something black quickly flew past the moon and began to circle high overhead. At first, she assumed it must be a bat. But then she realized how high up it was, did some quick math in her head, and gaped as she figured out how big it had to be up close.
 
Finally, she poked Renamon's ribs gently. “Renamon, wake up!” she hissed softly.
 
“What is it?” Renamon asked, coming fully awake at once.
 
“Are there bats here???”
 
“Bats,” Renamon said slowly, trying to keep from chuckling. “Are you serious?”
 
“Well, there's SOMETHING big and black up there, so you tell me what it is!”
 
Renamon looked up, and her smile faded. “Wake the boys,” she said, leaping to her feet. “We have to go.”
 
“What? Why?”
 
“Let's just say you don't want that bat in your hair and leave it at that. Wake them. Now!”
 
Alice quickly went to do as she'd been told, but found that Guilmon was already rising and growling softly.
 
Takato awoke with only one shake. “Huh? Guilmon, what's up?”
 
“Trouble,” Renamon replied, picking up Alice. “We leave NOW.”
 
At the moment, the “bat” went into a downward spiral, headed straight for them.
 
“RUN!” Renamon shouted.
 
Takato barely had time to climb on Guilmon's back before the two Digimon took off at full speed. He risked a glance over his shoulder, and his eyes bulged at what he saw.
 
The “bat” pulled out of its dive seconds before it could reach the ground. It swooped up and screeched into the night sky before zooming after them.
 
When it got close enough, Takato's fears were confirmed as he checked his D-Arc. “Devidramon!”
 
The Devidramon shrieked again and quickly closed the distance between them, but instead of diving at Takato, it glared straight ahead. Takato followed its gaze and instantly realized who it was after. “Alice!”
 
Renamon glanced briefly over her shoulder and suddenly sprinted to the left.
 
Instantly, the Devidramon rolled in the air to follow, flapping its wings madly as it drew closer to her.
 
“We have to catch up, Guilmon!” Takato urged his Digimon. “We can't let that thing get Alice!” He drew a card from his pocket and slashed it through his D-Arc. “Power, Activate!”
 
Guilmon opened his mouth wide and let a fireball as big around as his head go flying at the Devidramon's back. For some reason, though, the Evil Dragon only roared in pain and continued to home in on Alice.
 
“Why is it after her?!” Takato cried in frustration. “She's not a threat!”
 
“Maybe it's hungry?” Guilmon panted.
 
“Don't even THINK that!”
 
Without warning, Renamon vanished and reappeared next to them. Wordlessly, she thrust Alice into Takato's arms and leaped up to meet the Devidramon as it spun around in midair.
 
There was a flash of light, and suddenly Kyuubimon was howling in fury as she tackled the Devidramon to the ground. “Run, Guilmon!” she ordered.
 
Guilmon turned sharply and began to put distance between them and the battle.
 
Takato tightened his arms around Alice as she buried her face in his neck. “Are you okay?” he asked.
 
She shook her head. “Takato,” she whimpered, tears in her eyes, “I was so scared!”
 
“I know,” he said simply, stroking her hair. “The first time I saw one, I freaked out, too.”
 
“NO! You don't understand!” She lowered her voice and looked at the battle over his shoulder. “It…it was calling me, Takato! It knew my name!”
 
Takato stared at her. “What…?”
 
“I thought I was crazy, but I HEARD it! It was just growling at first, but then I could understand it!”
 
Takato stared at her. He was about to tell her that she was imagining things, that there was no way the Devidramon could know her name. But then he looked back to see that Kyuubimon was no longer attacking the Evil Dragon, and that it was once again approaching them, albeit at a much slower rate because it was walking with a noticeable limp. But it would never catch them, since Guilmon seemed to be getting his second wind. As if realizing this, the Devidramon threw back its head and let out a scream of incredible anguish. It desperately stretched out its claws toward them, and with its last bit of strength, hissed out Alice's name, before collapsing into the dirt.
 
“Guilmon, stop,” Takato said against his better judgment. At the least, he wanted to know why Kyuubimon had stopped attacking.
 
Kyuubimon walked up to them. “It was calling Alice,” she said, clearly unnerved.
 
“What does that mean?” Takato asked. “How could it know her name?”
 
“There is only one way I can think of, but even that should be impossible.”
 
“What?” Alice asked. “Maybe…he knew Dobermon…?”
 
“I seriously doubt that.” Kyuubimon looked at the girl carefully. “Show me your D-Arc, Alice.”
 
Alice slowly took out her D-Arc, gasping when she saw it was pointing at something. “What's this noise mean?”
 
“It's probably been doing that the whole time,” Kyuubimon whispered. “Alice, listen. When I first met Ruki…I knew her by name, without her having to tell me. I believe it was because we were…meant to be.”
 
“What are you saying? That it knows my name because…?”
 
“Because that,” Kyuubimon said, nodding at the Devidramon, “is your Digimon partner. It would explain why it chased us so insistently. It must have thought that we were trying to take you away. For a Tamed Digimon, losing its Tamer is a fate worse than deletion.”
 
“Are you SURE about this?” Takato asked after a moment.
 
“Why else would her D-Arc react? How else could it know her name?”
 
“We should check it out,” Guilmon said, gently bumping Alice forward with his snout. “I'll go with you.”
 
Alice nodded faintly and hesitantly approached the fallen Digimon. She kept a hand on Guilmon's head, as if that would keep her safe. Taking a deep breath, she fell to her knees and slowly reached toward the dragon's head.
 
At once, it came to life, shuddering and raising its head. Upon seeing her, it hissed, “Aliiicccce…”
 
“Are you…my Digimon?” she asked softly, carefully placing her hand on its head.
 
“Yesss…” it replied, obviously weary but still very much excited. “Alice is Tamer…but why did Alice flee with the strangers?”
 
“You scared us,” she replied, starting to feel horrible about how Kyuubimon had wounded it.
 
“Did not mean to,” it said. “Was so happy to see Alice, finally, after waiting for so very long…”
 
“I'm sorry,” Alice whispered, leaning down to rest her cheek on the dragon's head. “Did Kyuubimon hurt you?”
 
“Will be healed with rest,” Devidramon answered. “Must rest with Alice, so Alice will be safe…”
 
“He needs your D-Arc,” Kyuubimon said.
 
Alice held her D-Arc near Devidramon's face, gasping when his whole body seemed to shrink. In its place was what looked like a bowling ball with wings.
 
“And there's your bat,” Kyuubimon chuckled as the small Digimon flew up to sit on Alice's shoulder.
 
“Alice is safe now,” it declared, brushing her cheek fondly with a wing.
 
“Pico Devimon,” Takato read from his own D-Arc. “This must be Devidramon's Child form.”
 
“Then I'll call you Pico,” Alice decided, petting the Digimon on its head.
 
“If that is what Alice wishes,” Pico replied obediently, closing his eyes and instantly falling asleep.
 
“Well, I'm glad someone got to sleep tonight,” Kyuubimon sighed.
 
* * * * *
 
Next Chapter: The Tamers are forced to battle Kerpymon, Pepper has a dream, and Ryo awakens...
 
 
Digidex
Dukemon (Gallantmon): Guilmon's normal Ultimate/Mega form. No idea why they changed the name for the NA dub. What's wrong with a duke? Maybe they thought it too similar to daisy dukes…?
Kuwagamon: Thought I'd use the first “bad” Digimon NA fans got to see in the anime.
Altur/Gran Kabuterimon: You probably saw Koushiro/Izzy riding this big bug in Season 1.
Devidramon: Growmon's first battle was against one in the real world, remember?
Pico Devimon (DemiDevimon): Remember Myotismon's bat flunkie (same voice actor as Impmon)?
 
I have no idea if Renamon's Fox Change Void is the same as shape shifting. But based on her striking similarity to a kitsune, I'm betting it is. Extra points if you know the significance of the leaves. Even more points if you know what her theory on the dragons' origin in the real world is.
 
Logically, Lopmon could've become Kerpymon if he had Bio-Merged with Shuichon. But he didn't, so it's all speculation. Though, he probably would've been the Vaccine version, not the Virus (evil) one.
 
A Note on DemiDevimon: He's like the evil Eevee of the Digital World, except you don't need DigiEggs like you would with V-mon. There are different factors that determine what a Digimon grows into. Pico is the ONLY thing a Devidramon can be in Child/Rookie form, though. As his name suggests, Pico can evolve into Devimon. But his Infant/In-Training form is Petit Meramon, so that gives you another hint what he could grow into (namely, Death/Skull Meramon). I picked Pico as Alice's partner because of all the possibilities, so don't think you'll only be seeing Devidramon when he needs to digivolve…