Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ An Enemy's Friendship ❯ A Friend in an Enemy ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I read a lot of fics where the Digidestined really didn't appreciate Davis. I thought about them a lot. It came to the point where I decided to do one of my own. In this fic, neither the older nor younger Digidestined respect Davis or Veemon, which encourages him to quit. But Davis and Veemon have kept a gigantic secret from the Digidestined. Read along as he finds his greatest friend in someone he would've never thought possible. As I said before, don't read if you don't like Davis.
/ is Davis mental talk
// is mental talk for all of Veemon's Digivolutions
' is thoughts






Chapter 1: A Friend in an Enemy


It was a cool and stormy Monday afternoon in Odaiba. To most people, a storm meant a ruined day. But in one person's point of view, the storm perfectly reflected his feelings. This person was Davis Motomiya. To him, the storm matched what he was feeling. His gloominess was like the rain makes a day gloomy. The lightning was a beautiful but deadly thing. It symbolizsed something that he wished he had but couldn't get near. That was the friendship of his fellow Digidestined. They had never respected him, only put up with him because he was a Digidestined.

None of the Digidestined knew this, but Davis had been keeping a very big secret from them. He was a powerful mage. Before moving to Odaiba, Davis lived in England with his grandparents. The people in England all knew how to perform magic. Davis was sent to live with his grandparents when he was a year old. His grandparents taught him every power and ability they had. Davis had even been able to learn some secret powers and abilities.

Like his grandparents, Davis could heal, teleport and become invisible. But he had several powers and abilities that his grandparents could never do. He had greatly increased speed. He was also very strong in telepathy(A/N: There are several more powers and abilities he has. You'll find out what else he can do in future chapters).

Davis was 12-years old when his grandparents passed away. Because the rest of his family was in Odaiba, he had to leave England to be with his family. But Davis and his remaining family did come up to England every once in a while to visit Davis's grandparents' graves.

"Are you feeling all right little bro?" a female voice asked.

Davis turned around and saw his sister Jun. "Yeah Jun, I'm fine," he responded. He then went right back to watching the storm.

"I wish that you wouldn't lie to me about something like this Davis. I want to help you," Jun said before sitting next to Davis. She had spent a few years living with her grandparents as well before moving to Odaiba to live with her parents and had also developed great powers. She was an ecomancer(A/N: If you haven't seen 'Pirates of Dark Water', then you most likely don't know what this means. An ecomancer is someone who can feel and control the elements). She only used her powers when absolutely necessary. Her being an ecomancer helped her to sense a person's true feelings and intentions.

"It's just that the storm reflects exactly how I'm feeling right now. The clouds and rain make a day look gloomy. Well, that's how I feel. The lightning is beautiful but deadly. I want to feel the beauty of friendship with the other Digidestined, but like you can't get too close to lightning, they shun me," Davis said.

"Your cockiness gets on my nerves sometimes. But I can see through that. It puzzles and angers me that they can't or refuse to look past that as well. Fate works in mysterious ways. Maybe you'll find a friend in someone you don't expect," Jun said before leaving to return to her room.

Davis thought about what Jun said. 'Maybe she's right. I hope to have a friend in the Digidestined,' he thought. 'I wish that Veemon was here with me. But he wanted to take care of something in the Digi World.' He was so into his own thoughts, that he almost didn't hear his D-Terminal beeping.

The message on his D-Terminal read: We're going to the Digi World. Meet us at school. Yolie.

Davis considered not going to the school. Every time he went, the others disrespected him. He typed in the words 'Leave me alone' on his D-Terminal and sent it back to Yolie. Yolie was ready to blow a gasket when she saw Davis's response.

"Why that inconsiderate little jerk!" Yolie shouted angrily.

"What is it Yolie?" TK asked.

Yolie simply showed everyone what was on her D-Terminal. The others looked pretty angry themselves. Davis had never done soemthing like that before.

"What is his problem anyway?" Cody asked.

"I don't know. But we're going to find out what it is," Kari said. She and the others were already at the school.

They decided to got to the Digi World later and went to Davis's house. They were going to give Davis a piece of their minds when they saw him. But that would turn out to be a problem in its own right. Davis sensed them coming. He told Jun what just happened and to tell the others that he wasn't here. Then he made himself invisible. They heard a knock on the door ten minutes later. Jun went downstairs to answer it. She opened the door to find the other younger Digidestined standing outside. They had straight faces, but she could tell they were angry about what her brother did.

"Can I help you?" she asked, trying not to sound spiteful.

"Is Davis here?" TK asked.

"No, Davis is not here," Jun responded sternly. "You're the last people he needs to see right now," she added just as sternly.

"Well did he go to the school?" Cody asked.

"No he did not go to the school. You probably wouldn't care that much anyway," Jun responded more sternly.

"What's wrong with you? We don't have an issue with you," Kari said.

"When you disrespect my brother, you have an issue with me. You refuse to see him for who he really is. He told me that you call him pig-headed. But the pig-headed ones are you. Get out of here before I get really angry," Jun said before slamming the door. She went into Davis's room. "You can take off your invisibility cloak now Davis," she said.

Davis became visible again. "Thanks Jun. I really didn't want to deal with them," he said.

"No problem. You know I'm here for you. Mom and dad are here too," Jun said.

"It seems like my life went downhill since my grandparents died," Davis said sadly.

Jun pitied Davis. She missed them too. "I know it's hard Davis. But they wouldn't want to see you this depressed," she said.

"No they wouldn't," a new voice said.

Davis and Jun looked to see their mother at the door. She was a middle-aged woman but still looked youthful. She had brownish blonde hair and green eyes.

"I heard what Jun told you so-called friends. You can't let them get you down Davis. Besides, I know that you'll find a friend sooner than you think now," Mrs. Motomiya said.

Only Davis, Jun and their father knew that Mrs. Motomiya was a seer. She only used her power when it was absolutely necessary. With Davis getting more depressed each day about not having a true friend, this power helped him to stay a little optimistic.

"I hope so mom. I don't know how much longer I can take being disrespected like this," Davis said.

Meanwhile in the Digital World, Veemon felt Davis's growing depression. Veemon was always very worried about his partner. 'Please don't let this get to you Davis,' he thought. Veemon was also disrespected, but he just ignored all the backstabbing comments. //Davis, why don't you come here to the Digital World? You and I can have some time together//

/Okay Veemon, I'll go to the school and come to the Digi World from there/

Davis and Veemon had a connection that none of the other Digidestined and their partners had. This connection was the result of Davis's powers. Like Davis's powers being a secret to the other Digidestined, Veemon also kept his abilities a secret. Davis and Veemon shared a mental link. Veemon had other abilities too.

Veemon was actually ten times stronger than the other Digidestined and their partners combined. That's why Veemon could keep his Rookie form in the Real World as easily as Patamon and Gatomon. Veemon had been holding back a lot of his strength. He could actually take down a very strong Champion-level Digimon very easily as only a Rookie-level Digimon.

Another thing about Veemon that only Davis and his family knew about was that he had a few magical abilities. Davis had given Veemon the power of healing, invisibility, increased speed, teleportation and a few more powerful attacks. Veemon had a secret power that Davis didn't even know about. Veemon had the power of levitation. Meanwhile, Davis had made it to the school. Luckily, the other Digidestined weren't there. He took out his D3 and stepped to the computer.

"Digiport Open!" he commanded before he was sent through the Digital World.

Veemon was right next to the port that led to the school when Davis arrived.

"Have the others come through here?" Davis asked.

"Unfortunately yes Davis. But we'll have no problem avoiding them though," Veemon responded.

Davis smiled and nodded. A month ago, he learned how to hide his D3's signal from the others with his powers. Then the two friends went on their way. Meanwhile in another sector of the Digital World, the Digimon Emperor, known only to Davis and Veemon as Ken Ichijouji, watched Davis and Veemon from his base. He had seen how badly the other Digidestined disrespected Davis.

"I think that a little talk is in store between Davis and me," Ken said. "Wormmon!" he then called out.

A green caterpillar came crawling into the control room. "Yes master?" he asked.

"Get an Airdramon ready. I'm going to have a one on one talk with the 'leader' of the Digidestined," Ken responded.

Wormmon nodded and went to fetch the Airdramon. Ken boarded the Airdramon and soon left to find Davis. Meanwhile, Davis and Veemon had two close calls with the other Digidestined. One time was near a river and the other time was in a forest. Their power of invisibility kept them undetected though. While invisible in the forest, they heard a not too flattering conversation.

"I just don't get what's wrong with Davis," Kari said.

"Don't waste your thinking on him. He can never do anything right," Yolie said.

"I don't even get why he's a Digidestined," Cody said.

"Yeah, we can do a lot more without him here with us," TK agreed.

//I can't believe it Davis. They're saying that you don't deserve to be a Digidestined//

/I believe it Veemon. We'll just see how much they can do without me/

//What are you saying?//

/I'm saying that I'm going to do something that I should've done ages ago Veemon. I'm going to quit/

Veemon was downright shocked to hear that. //Are you sure that's the right thing to do? We still have the Digimon Emperor to face//

/For some reason, I don't think that the Digimon Emperor is really our enemy/ He didn't know how right he was.

//You're not serious//

/I'm dead serious Veemon. They don't want me around, and their Digimon don't want you around. They don't know how valuable a member that they've just pushed away/

Veemon had to agree with Davis on that one. //But the others don't know that you're here. You just can't say that you decided to come here after all//

/I can say that you overheard them and told me everything. You were still here after all/

//That's a good plan. I can't wait to see the expressions on their faces, that is if they have any//

Davis and Veemon then left the forest. When they were a good distance away, they became visible again. One drawback about their invisibility was that others would still be able to hear them talking. That's where the mental link between them comes into play. That way, they can talk to each other without others hearing.

Then Veemon grew tense. He could sense a Digimon coming. "A Digimon is coming Davis," he said.

"I can feel it too Veemon. But I can also feel a second presence," Davis said.

"Who is the second presence?" Veemon asked.

Davis focused his power a little more. "It's Ken," he responded.

"But why would Ken be coming here?" Veemon asked.

"Good question. What's even weirder is that I don't sense any evil intentions from him this time," Davis responded.

"So what do we do?" Veemon asked.

"Let's hear him out," Davis responded.

The Airdramon soon landed in front of the pair. Ken then dismounted and stood in front of Davis.

"What do you want with us?" Davis asked.

"I just came to talk to you," Ken responded. "I have been watching you and the others from my base. I saw how they treated you like trash. I'm proposing that you and I be partners. I promise to treat you a lot better than the Digidestined brats are treating you now," he added.

Davis really thought about what the emperor proposed. What Jun and his mother said about finding a friend repeated in his mind.

'Maybe Jun and my mother are right. Maybe Ken is my friend,' Davis thought.

//What are we going to do Davis?//

/I've let the others' comments get to me for too long. It's time for a change they'll regret experiencing/

Veemon mentally smirked. //This means that you're accepting Ken's proposal right?//

/Right Veemon/ "I accept your proposal Ken," Davis said, extending his hand.

Ken smiled and also extended his hand. Then they shook hands to confirm the partnership. This would be the beginning of a better life for Davis. But the good moment was cut short for the time being because Davis and Veemon sensed the other Digidestined coming.

"You better leave. The others are coming," Veemon said.

The emperor nodded. "I look forward to working with you partner," he said before boarding his Airdramon.

Then the Airdramon took off. Once the Airdramon was out of sight, Davis and Veemon teleported to the Digiport. Davis opened the port, and he and Veemon went through. They reappeared at the school. But they weren't expecting some of the older Digidestined to be there. Tai, Matt, Sora and Izzy were there waiting.

"So you went to the Digi World after all," Matt said.

"Yes I did. What concern is it to you?" Davis said defiantly.

"You better watch your attitude Davis," Tai said warningly.

"Or what Tai? I have no reason to be afraid of you or the others," Davis said.

"Then why did you avoid the others if you're not afraid of them?" Sora asked.

"What was that all about?" Izzy asked.

"I don't know. But we will find out," Matt said.

"Davis's whole attitude has changed now," Sora said.

"We will straighten that out once the others come back through the port," Tai said.

Meanwhile in the Digi World, the other younger Digidestined had their hands full with a Hyogamon. If not for the blue coloring or the ice coming out of its upper arms, this Digimon could easily be mistaken or an Ogremon. Nothing the Digidestined's Digimon did had much affect on the Hyogamon.

"Ice Statue!" Hyogamon shouted.

Digmon and Shurimon became frozen solid.

"Rock Cracking!" Digmon shouted. He managed to drill himself and Shurimon out. He was really weakened after that and reverted to Armadillomon. "Wake me up in the morning please," he said before passing out.

Shurimon also passed out before reverting to Hawkmon.

"Armadillomon!" Cody shouted, rushing to his fallen Digimon's side.

"Hawkmon!" Yolie shouted.

"Now to take the other two out," Hyogamon said as clouds filled the sky. "Winter Blast!" he shouted.

Ice and snow started blowing around. The ice pummeled Pegasusmon and Nefertimon. They fell from the sky and reverted to Patamon and Gatomon.

"Patamon!" TK yelled.

"Gatomon!" Kari cred.

"He's...too...strong...for us," Gatomon said weakly.

"Where's Davis? We could really use his help right now," Yolie said.

"I'll email him," TK responded before sending Davis the email.

Davis heard his D-Terminal beeping.

"What is it Davis?" Veemon asked.

"It's an email from TV. He says that they're losing to a Hyogamon and need my help," Davis responded.

"So that's what they see us as. Someone who can just bail them out of trouble," Veemon said. "Should we help them?"

"Yes, but this will be the last time. Let's go," Davis said. He had just finished setting up a Digiport on his computer. He opened the Digiport, and he and Veemon appeared not too far from where the battle was. "Let's show this Hyogamon a thing or two. Digi Armor Energize!"

"Veemon Armor Digivolve to...Flamedramon: The Fire of Courage!"

"Take care of that icy reject Flamedramon," Davis said.

"You know I will," Flamedramon said before charging in. "Fire Rocket!"

Hyogamon screamed in pain when he felt three small missile-like fireballs hit him. The other Digidestined actually were relieved to see Flamedramon.

"Where's Davis?" Kari asked.

"It wouldn't be a surprise if he's hiding while Flamedramon is doing all the work," Yolie responded defiantly.

Flamedramon resisted the urge to give Yolie a hot butt. 'Davis was right in accepting the Digimon Emperor's partnership offer. This is the last time that I help these fools,' he thought. He then turned back to the Hyogamon. 'Well I guess it's time to show these fools a sample of my real power.'

Flamedramon's entire body became engulfed in flames. The other Digidestined and Digimon could've sworn that they were looking at a Meramon. Then Flamedramon's fiery body formed into that of a Chinese dragon.

"Fire Dragon!" Flamedramon shouted before rocketing towards Hyogamon.

Hyogamon had no time to get out of the way as the attack slammed into him, deleting him instantly. The flames around Flamedramon then disappeared. The others were shocked at what Flamedramon did.

"How could you destroy him like that?" Patamon asked.

"If you had taken the time to notice, there was no dark ring or dark spiral on that Digimon. That Digimon attacked you for no good reason," Flamedramon responded. He and Davis had felt the Hyogamon's evil intentions as soon as they came through the port.

"But it's wrong to just destroy a Digimon like that," Cody said.

"You have to understand that things don't always go the way you want them to. Davis would've done the same thing if he could," Flamedramon retorted. He turned to leave.

"If he would've done the same thing, then why isn't he here? Did he chicken out or something?" Yolie asked.

Flamedramon felt his blood boil at that statement. "You're supposed to be his friends. He came here to help you even though he didn't want to, and how do you thank him? You dismiss him like yesterday's news," Flamedramon responded.

"Well where is he then? Was he too scared to come here in person?" Gatomon asked.

"I don't have to answer any more of your questions. I'm leaving," Flamedramon responded. He then disappeared before anyone else could say anything.

The others just looked with very shocked looks on their faces.

"How could he just disappear? I've never seen him to do that," Cody said.

"Come to think of it, how did he do that fiery attack. Fire Dragon is not one of Flamedramon's attacks," Patamon said.

Meanwhile, Flamedramon had reappeared where Davis was, which was just out of sight of the others. He knew that Davis was invisible. //It's all right Davis. You can remove your invisibility now//

Davis became visible again. "I heard everything they said about me. Now I know that quitting is a good decision," he said.

"I'm fully convinced that quitting the team is a good decision too. Let's try to find Ken's base," Flamedramon said.

Davis nodded, and the two set out for Ken's base. Ken had watched all that transgressed. He then controlled his flying base to pick up Davis and Flamedramon. Half an hour later, Davis and Flamedramon saw the base land. They went inside, and the base flew off again.

"So, when are you going to break the news to those foolish Digidestined?" Ken asked.

"I'll break it to them tomorrow. They still think that they can do things better without me, even after that Hyogamon trounced their Digimon without breaking a sweat," Davis responded.

"Who would've ever thought that the two of us would ever become partners?" Ken asked.

"My sister actually. She told me that I would find a friend in someone I least expected," Davis responded.

Flamedramon then reverted to Veemon. "We should head home Davis. Your parents and sister will be worried about us if we're out too late," he said.

Davis nodded and turned to Ken. "Well, I have to go for now Ken," he said.

"Do you have access to the Digiport at your house?" Ken asked.

"I do now," Davis responded.

"I'll keep in touch with you through email," Ken said.

Davis nodded and gave Ken the coordinates to his home. Ken put it in his computer, and Davis and Veemon came back through Davis's computer. Davis mentally smiled. He had found a friend in who he believed for a long time was his worst enemy.




Well, here's the first chapter of this story. Before anyone asks, the Ice Statue and Winter Blast moves that Hyogamon did are my way of telling you that there will be references to the Digimon World 1 game for Playstation One. The references will be attacks in the game as well as the Digimon that were seen in the game, but not on the show. Anyway, preview for Chapter 2: Two Less Team Members: Davis literally breaks the news to the Digidestined that he will no longer be a part of them. But the Digidestined have more than that to worry about when strangely colored Digimon confront them. Who are these Digimon and what's with their different coloring? Stay tuned to find out.

I don't know why there's no indentation for paragraphs anymore. But I put spaces between my paragraphs. Hopefully this will help now.

Oh, and thanks HyperMan for correcting me on Hyogamon. But this is for everyone. If I spell a Digimon's name or an attack wrong, feel free to correct me. I really appreciate it.