Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Blood Brothers ❯ The Joining ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Blood Brothers Part One: The Joining

Ken stared at the floor; his hair partially hiding his finely chiseled face.
"I don't want to discuss this, can't we just forget about it?"
"How can we forget about it?" Davis exploded, "I was inside your head Ken!!"
Ken's face twisted into a grimace of near pain, "And I was inside yours. I can't imagine you liked what you saw in my mind." He said neutrally. Wormmon sat nearby, regarding them both with worried eyes, but said nothing. Davis took Demiveemon into his lap for comfort, holding the little blue Digimon close.
"I saw things, sure there was some of it I didn't like, but still...I think I understand what you did now." Davis said with uncharacteristic quietness. Ken raised his head and fixed Davis with a troubled gaze.
"When I think about it now, about the horrible things I did, it's like I'm watching it from a distance."
They were both sat on the floor of Davis's bedroom. It was late evening and Davis knew his parents wouldn't be back home for another hour at least. The supposed leader of the new Digi-Destined felt the need to discuss what had happened earlier with the only other person who knew what had happened - Ken. Davis gazed at the ceiling and thought about it carefully. When Their Digimon had DNA digivolved, Davis had heard Ken's heartbeat clearly in his ears, which had been shortly followed by the powerful sensation of feeling everything that Ken felt, fear, loneliness, determination and a terrible overwhelming guilt. It had made Davis feel so dizzy that he had wanted to pass out, but he had finally found the single event that had changed Ken from a kind and gentle boy into the power-mad Digimon Emperor. He knew everything about the death of Ken's idolized and respected older brother, and felt a profound sympathy for the young boy-genius. Their eyes had met, and Davis knew that Ken had felt his understanding and his sympathy.
Davis flinched suddenly when he heard a choked sob from Ken. Davis leaned forward and placed a hand on his shoulder. Wormmon scuttled forward and tried to peer under Ken's curtain of hair, his eyes huge and concerned.
"Ken?" Davis asked, "You okay?"
"Ken, are you all right?" Wormmon asked. Demiveemon looked on, knowing better than anyone else of Wormmon's devotion to Ken.
"Why are you so nice to me?" He sobbed miserably, "I don't deserve your kindness."
"Look, Ken, I understand why you were so mad at the world. Can't say I agree with it. But I can forgive you. And so can the others."
Ken raised his head slowly, and Davis looked into his stormy eyes.
"Really?" Ken asked with an almost desperate hope in his voice.
"Sure." Davis replied with a smile. Just then, he heard the front door open and his Mother calling him, "Hold on a sec." Davis said as he slipped out of his room as Wormmon and Demiveemon took up their 'stuffed animal' pose.
"Hey Mom." Davis said by way of greeting, "Can my friend Ken stay here tonight?"
"Of course, honey." His mother smiled, "It's nice for you to have friends over once in a while. I'll get some sheets for your friend."
"Thanks Mom." Davis said.

Davis re-entered his room a few minutes later carrying a bundle of bedding.
"You're letting me stay over?" Ken asked.
"Why not? I think we've got a lot to talk about." Davis replied, throwing the bedding down.
"Maybe you're right." Ken said reluctantly.
"Good, we can all sit and have a nice long talk." Wormmon said with satisfaction, glad that Ken was finally opening up to a fellow human.
"And the best way to do that is around a big bowl of potato chips!" Demiveemon announced cheerily. That statement broke the tension in the room and the two humans chuckled wryly.
"Okay, okay." Davis said to his Digimon, "I take the hint, I'll get you something to eat." He laughed.

It was several hours later, the early hours in the morning in fact, when it happened. Neither of the Digi-Destined were ever sure when the notion came to them, but they would both remember the events for the rest of their lives. For Ken, the evening with Davis had been was of the most liberating of his life. To finally let go of the pain and cut loose for a while. Davis found himself amazed at the fun he was having with the former Digimon Emperor, he found himself telling Ken things he had never told anyone else.
The notion came to Davis after they had both laughed themselves silly over a story from Davis's youth. To his surprise, Ken had agreed. His parents and his sister were both asleep, and even their Digimon were sleeping soundly, so Davis crept quietly into the kitchen, and returned with a small dish, a bottle of surgical spirit and a small knife. Ken watched as Davis sterilized the tiny blade in the surgical spirit and then made a tiny cut in his palm, Ken took the knife and copied his actions, it hurt, but not too much. They carefully pressed their hands together, and then something strange happened. They both seemed to feel something take over from deep within. Words seemed to come from their mouths without their conscious control, a sacred litany that seemed so utterly perfect.
"Now we are brothers in blood." They said in unison.
"In heart," Davis said dreamily.
"In mind." Ken continued.
"By courage," Davis said.
"And kindness."
"We are of the chosen. Brothers in soul." They both finished. They took their hands away, and their Digivices both began to glow. Davis stared at his palm, and watched in amazement as the cut he had made healed of it's own accord, and he felt a trickle of someone else's emotions brush past his mind. The light from the D3's faded and the sensation vanished.
"What just happened?" Ken asked in a shaky voice.
"I...dunno. I think we better get some sleep and figure it out in the morning." Davis replied.
Ken yawned and nodded, climbing under the sheets, absently picking Wormmon up and holding him like a teddy bear. Davis shrugged and lay down. He was asleep as soon as his head touched the pillow.