Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Blood Brothers ❯ The Reckoning ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Blood brothers Part Two - The Reckoning

The Digi-Destined assembled at Izzy's house after school, after Tai had informed them all of a problem in the Digital World. Davis arrived late, having been given detention for breaking yet another window.
"So, Izzy, what's this big emergency?" TK asked from where he lay sprawled on the floor.
"I got a message from Tentomon, he says that some Digimon have been terrorizing the areas that were formally under the control of the Digimon Emperor."
"More control-spires?" Kari asked.
"That's what we thought originally, but it turns out that there are no control spires missing."
"Then what could it possibly be?" Davis asked, leaning forward.
"To be honest, I'm not sure." Izzy replied with a thoughtful frown.
"I think we should go check it out!" Davis said enthusiastically. To his infinite surprise, Kari and TK agreed with him.
"Perhaps we should gather some more information." Izzy said.
"I'm with you, Izzy." Tai said.
"Great" Yolie said, leaping from her chair and striding over the Izzy's computer, "Digi-port open!" She cried.

Later, the Digi-Destined found themselves perched on a rock terrace, spying on the actions of two evil Digimon. After several minutes of very uncomfortable waiting in the heat and dust, they both arrived. Davis drew in a hissed breath when he saw them - he knew who they were.
The lager of the two Digimon looked like a bipedal crocodile with glittering red eyes and dark gray polished scales. He wore a huge wicked-looking sword strapped to his back. The second Digimon was much smaller, looking sort of like a very, very large snake that had grown legs and arms, his scales were alternate stripes of red and black in thin bands and his eyes were a pure, soulless black. The Digi-Destined watched helplessly as the two systematically destroyed an entire town. Luckly, the town itself had been evacuated, but the two dark Digimon didn't seem to care as they reveled in the destruction.
"Infamon and Dreadmon." Davis muttered under his breath. Only Veemon heard him.
"How do you know that?" The blue Digimon whispered.
"Ken knew them." Davis replied shortly.
"I've seen enough, let's go back home s I can analyze this." Izzy said.

When they arrived back in the real world, Davis began his campaign to have them invite Ken to join the discussions. He knew that Ken would be able to help, and Davis always trusted his feelings. To his surprise, his fellow Digi-Destined took to the suggestion quite easily.
"Maybe we should invite Ken to join us." Izzy mused.
"Yeah, after all, if anyone will know about evil Digimon, it will be him." Cody chimed in. So, Davis called the boy genius and arranged to meet him in the park, figuring that neutral territory might make him more at ease.

Ken arrived in the park, his face set in an expressionless mask as he looked at the Digi-Destined, but a ghost of a smile washed across his face when Davis caught his gaze, the single thought of 'Brother' seemed to flash between them in a quiet echo of what they had felt the previous night. The setting sun shone on his indigo hair, making it flash lurid purple. He silently joined them under the huge oak tree where Yolie had spread out a selection of snacks on a blanket, Ken ignored them, but Wormmon crawled out of Ken's bag and looked towards the food longingly.
Izzy displayed the picture of the two dark Digimon.
"Infamon and Dreadmon." Ken identified the two reptile-like Digimon in a quiet voice, "They served...me, when I was the Emperor."
"So why are they still causing trouble? They weren't wearing a dark ring." Yolie said in confusion.
"Not all dark Digimon are slaves," Wormmon said, "Some serve the darkness because they want to, not because they are forced to."
"Tentomon said that they were causing all this destruction in the name of the Digimon Emperor." Cody said suddenly. Izzy's head snapped up, and a 'eureka!' expression crossed his face.
"That's it!! They don't know the Digimon emperor doesn't exist anymore, I think I know a plan to beat these guys."
"What is it Izzy?" Tai asked.
"Gather round," He said as he quickly outlined his idea. It was a risky and daring plan, but a good one, but there was one major flaw.
"I won't do it!!" Ken shouted at the top of his voice.
"Come on Ken, we need your help on this one." TK said. Ken backed away.
"You don't know what you're asking of me! I can't go back to acting like that...that...monster!"
"Ken..." Tai began, but Ken's panicked voice cut him off.
"Please, don't make me do this...I can't!!"
Davis took hold of the boy-genius's shoulder and spoke quietly in his ear, knowing instinctively of the words to calm him down and get him to agree with the plan.
"C'mon, Ken. You're strong enough to handle this, this is to save the Digital world," He paused, feeling odd about his next words, "And I'll be here for you... brother."
Ken looked at him, turmoil churned in his eyes, but also acceptance and thanks for the reassurance.
"Thank you, brother." Ken whispered back. Ken then looked around at the rest of the assembled Digi-Destined, "I'll do it." He said softly.

It was the next morning when they all assembled in the digital world. Ken was the last to arrive, dragging his feet in the tall green grass, unable to communicate his deep feeling of unease at the role this plan asked him to take up...or perhaps that should be, to resume.
Ken looked into the eyes of the Digi-Destined, both new and old and saw varying degrees of sympathy and determination in their eyes, but only in Davis's gaze did he see understanding. His blood brother walked over to him, and laid a compassionate arm on his shoulder.
"It's time, Ken." Davis said quietly. Ken sighed deeply and took out his Digivice and turned away. There was a brief violet glow, and Ken turned around, once again adorned in the outlandish outfit of the Digimon Emperor. It would have been a terrifyingly familiar sight, if it were not for the sheer desolation in Ken's eyes.