Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Blood Brothers ❯ Between Darkness and Light ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Blood Brothers - Part Three, Between Darkness and Light

Ken rode silently behind Davis on Raidramon's back as they made their way toward the Dark Digimon's base. It was hard to tell what Ken was thinking with his eyes hidden behind his purple-tinted shades. Davis knew that this was hard for Ken, he could feel brief flashes of emotional pain and desolation through what Davis had come to think of as their Digibond. Wormmon sat on Ken's lap, and the young genius seemed to find some solace in the little green Digimon's presence.
"You might have to work on your voice." Davis said, trying to break the silence and lighten the mood.
"What?" Ken asked, seeming to come out a trance.
"Your voice, you don't sound as harsh as you did when..." Davis broke off, not wanting to say it.
"As I did when I was the Digimon Emperor? No, I suppose I don't. I was so full of anger, bitterness...I..."
"Hey, you don't have to explain to me, I know." Davis said gently, "I still believe in you Ken. You can do this!"
"He's, right Ken. We can do this," Wormmon said, looking up at Ken with his big blue eyes, "The others will be nearby, and I'll be right with you."
Ken sighed, and his shoulders slumped. It was odd to see such a defeated, pained posture in the one the Digi-Destined had once feared. Because Davis knew that in actuality, Ken and the Digimon Emperor were two different people, he had seen the division that divided Ken's heart and the pain that had caused the gulf to form. Raidramon listened to the conversations, but kept his silence, believing that Davis and Wormmon had the matter well in hand.
This mission was a dangerous one. The area around the Dark Digi-base was surrounded by control spires, so Ken had to distract the two Dark Digimon long enough for the Digi-Destined to destroy them, so they could go after Dreadmon and Infamon. The two evil Digimon still believed the Emperor ruled the digi-world, so Ken had to re-assume to role in order to keep them out of the Digi-Destined's way. It was a very risky job for Ken, if he were found out then he would be in great danger. But the danger didn't bother him, after all he had his D3, so he could contact the others, and Wormmon would be nearby to Digivolve in case of emergency, no, it wasn't the danger, it was the necessity of wearing the outfit if the Digimon Emperor. It was the idea of having to take on that cold, harsh voice again of perhaps having to use the bullwhip that was coiled on his belt. Ken shuddered violently and started to claw at his clothing. Wormmon looked disturbed.
"Ken, please calm down. It will be okay Ken. I'll still be here."
"I can't do this..." Ken sobbed, "I can't." He was almost ready to tell Raidramon to turn around, to ask - no, to beg Izzy to come up with a new plan, anything to avoid the horror that the clothes he wore represented.
But just then, Davis swiveled in his seat, turning around to look Ken directly in the eyes, and a feeling of courage swept over him, closely followed by a warmth that he could only describe as friendship, and distantly, he could hear what sounded like a quiet drum and with a start he realized that it was the sound of Davis's heartbeat. He reveled in it until he heard Raidramon's gravelly voice announce:
"We're here."

Ken summoned up his courage, despite the odd feeling that some of that courage was not his own, and strode confidently into the dark digi-base. He flung open the large double doors and stood in the doorway with his hands on his hips, despite feeling sick to his stomach.
"Massssterr?" Dreadmon hissed in a silbant voice that sounded like a snake would if it developed speech.
"Dreadmon." Ken acknowledged in a cold voice. Wormmon scuttled along beside him, trying to duplicate his old posture of fearful obedience. Ken fought down nausea.
"Master, you have returned to us." Infamon said in his deep, eerily soft voice. Ken began to wander around the room, as if inspecting it. In actuality, he was trying not to show his nervousness. He absently brushed his gloved finger along a surface and turned back to his 'servants'
"You have a gift for stating the obvious, Infamon." Ken said harshly.
"Forgive me master, "Infamon said with a deep bow that brought his sharp crocodile teeth level with Ken's head. Ken struggled not to flinch, "We thought you had left us permanently after Kimeramon was...destroyed."
"I needed time to re-think my plans." Ken replied, with an effort to keep the tremble from his voice, "Those Digi-Destined kids are more capable than I realized."
"I ssssee. Perhapssss we ssshould take sssteps to take care of them." Dreadmon suggested with a malicious gleam in his soulless black eyes. Ken waved a hand dismissively.
"I have a plan. It just needs some minor details to be worked out."
"Isss that why you returned?"
"Of course it is. Why else would I be here? I require some...assistance."
"Of course, your Highness." Infamon said with another deep bow.
"But right now I need some rest. Evil scheming takes it out of you." Ken said.
Infamon gave him a toothy alligator smile and Ken almost swooned at the putrid breath.
"I shall take you to some quarters fro the night, highness." The Lizard-like Digimon said, leading the way. Ken followed him and Wormmon scuttled along behind, as if hoping to escape notice.

Davis and Veemon his behind the bushes near where they had left Ken. Davis knew he should probably join the others in destroying the control spires, but he couldn't quite mobilize himself to move, he was too worried about Ken.
"So, what do we do now Davis?" Veemon whispered.
"I guess we just have to wait." Davis replied.
"Will they be okay?" Veemon asked, concern causing a frown on his small blue face.
"Sure they will," Davis said with more optimism than he felt, "Ken's got Wormmon to protect him, and they don't know that he can Digivolve."
"I guess you're right."
Despite his confident words, Davis had to know for sure. He concentrated, reaching into the back of his mind for the feeling that felt like cool water lapping up against a beach. He felt Ken's mind, he could feel his turmoil and his pain, but also his determination, and the quiet strength that fueled it. Davis smiled as he heard Ken's heartbeat in his ears. 'Brother', he thought.
Thump Thump
Thump Thump

Wormmon jumped onto Ken's lap as he lay down on the narrow cot in his room.
"Hey!" Ken complained good-naturedly, "I'm not a trampoline."
"No," Wormmon replied, "You're better. Trampolines don't make strange sounds when you jump on them."
"Gee, thanks." Ken replied. The young genius had removed most of the trappings of the Digimon Emperor, leaving him in a pair of shorts and a plain white tee-shirt, but before doing anything, they had thoroughly checked the room for listening devices. It might have seemed paranoid, but as Wormmon reminded him, even paranoids had real enemies.
"Wormmon?" Ken asked and he climbed under the covers.
"Yes Ken?"
"Do you really think we can do this?"
"Of course we can. We've already given the others all night to take down those control spires. And even if something did go wrong, I'll be here to protect you, and the others aren't far away."
Ken sighed and looked up at the ceiling, trying to pin down the strange emotions running through him.
"You can feel him can't you?" Wormmon said suddenly.
"What?" Ken asked, confused.
"Davis. You can feel him inside your mind, can't you?"
Ken winced, only Wormmon could read him so easily.
"Yes. I'm not sure what it means."
"I heard part of a prophecy once, I think it was about the digi-destined;
Fueled by courage,
But touched by kindness,
And bound by friendship.
When the two become one,
Then the darkness will be gone."
"Wormmon, that doesn't make any sense." Ken protested.
Wormmon shrugged, making his segmented body undulate.
"I thought it made sense if it's applied to you and Davis." Wormmon replied.
Ken shook his head.
"I'm too tired to puzzle out riddles. Let's just get some sleep, okay?"
"Okay." Wormmon agreed, snuggling down into the covers.
Ken closed his eyes, and heard a soothing sound lull him into a deep sleep.
Thump Thump
Thump Thump...