Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Captive Complications ❯ A Hair-Raising Experience ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer:

Don't own 'em.

Warnings:

Beware... there's a plot now. ^_^ Awww... that's a good thing, really. ^^;;

Author's Notes:

So as not to spoil some of the amusement, I've moved this chapter's AN's to the end.

Enjoy!


Captive Complications

by Ice'is Blue


7. A Hair-Raising Experience

Not too far away from the resting knight and nymph, King Yamato and Prince Taichi halted their walk and hunkered down at the base of another large tree. Since Taichi seemed amiable, Yamato resumed their earlier conversation.

"So, you're under a curse? Don't you have a fairy godmother?"

Taichi winced. The topic wasn't exactly new. "Yes, I have one, sort of. Gennai is my fairy godfather."

Yamato's face lit up. "No kidding? He's supposed to be the most powerful fairy! I can't believe he wasn't able to handle your curse. I mean, my fairy godmother, Mimi, was able to take care of mine... and she's mostly good for only beautification charms." At Taichi's questioning look, he explained further. "My father and the Master of the Guard forgot to include Myotismon in the guest list and Mimi had to rework the curse he placed on me. I'm sure you've noticed my absolutely fabulous hair."

Taichi blinked, unable to follow the jump in topics. However he had noticed that the King's hair was fine, shiny, and the perfect shade of gold. And, knowing for a fact that Yamato hadn't taken a moment to redo it, Taichi had to be impressed that it was still immaculately styled after all the traveling and wind. Would it feel as soft as he imagined if he were to run his fingers through it?

As Taichi was now firmly entranced, it was lucky that Yamato didn't wait for the Prince to answer. "See this?" Yamato asked, holding out a strand of the hair. "It was supposed to be snakes. They were supposed to bite me and cause my death."

Taichi shuddered. "Hate snakes," he muttered under his breath.

Yamato mostly agreed with him, but snakes had their uses. "Anyway, Mimi changed the curse so that instead, my hair turned to gold... more or less." He plucked out a single hair. "This is enough gold to buy fifty acres of land. But..." He started to drop the hair. Before the strand could fall, it reversed in motion and wrapped itself in a spiral around the King's finger. "It doesn't like to be separated from me."

Taichi stepped forward, fascinated. "It's alive?"

"You could say that." Yamato savored the moment as Taichi came voluntarily closer in a manner that didn't involve the threat of bodily harm. The King guided the Prince's hand to his own, and let him stroke along the detached hair. "As you can imagine, there's not much room in a metal for a brain, so it's incredibly stupid. But it has enough sentience to know its own self and to obey me. Comes in handy, too. Watch this." He used his free hand to pat himself on the head. "All the way up."

The golden locks immediately sprang out, making the King look as if he'd been struck by lightning.

Taichi grinned. "Well, if that's all it can do, I'm not impressed anymore," he said, obviously pretending his disinterest.

"This is nothing. You'll like this one better." He patted his head again. "Mr. Suave." The hair flattened instantly into a very sleek coiffeur.

"Wow. Nice," the Prince said admiringly. "How does it make itself look like there's jelly in there?"

"Because there actually is. There's enough residual magic to let the hair fabricate exactly what it needs to achieve the look. It can grow too." He patted his head again. "Loose, a hand-span below the shoulder." The strands sprouted to the commanded length. "It can clean itself too." As Taichi's eyes widened, Yamato smirked. "Without water."

"Wow," Taichi said, knowing he was repeating himself and knowing that the way he was staring at Yamato was dangerous, considering the King's preference for males. Of course, Taichi prided himself on his courage and liked a bit of danger. He raised a hand and ran it through the flowing hair. It was as soft as he'd imagined. Softer, even.

Suddenly, Taichi's other hand was moving and Yamato's lips pressed against the top in a kiss. The Prince blushed. "C-can I have my hand back, please?" Yamato didn't let go.

"You've let me hold it this long, I thought you wouldn't mind if I kept it a bit longer."

"I--" Taichi liked the King. He wouldn't mind getting to know him better... but he had the uncomfortable suspicion that Yamato wanted something more... something he wasn't even sure he could give. "I--"

"It's all right," Yamato soothed, smoothly drawing away. "Look. It likes you." Wrapped around Taichi's hand was the strand of hair, now the same length as the rest. "I guess the hair doesn't fall far from the head."

Taichi blinked, willing to smile, but he couldn't figure out if the King's comment was an insult or not.

"I like you too." Yamato elaborated.

Taichi rubbed his thumb along the strand of hair encircling his finger like a ring. Yamato liked him. What was that supposed to mean? And did the King still consider him a captive?

King Yamato noticed that Taichi didn't exactly look thrilled by his announcement. "Taichi?"

The Prince turned away, looking even more unhappy.

Yamato gnawed on his lip. He knew he could salvage the situation, but it would cost him his pride. But given the benefit... He glanced around to make sure the knight and his nymph were still occupied and that his guards were still feigning industriousness in setting up the pavilions. He nudged Taichi in the side. "Hey. I haven't showed you all my tricks yet."

"No?" Taichi asked, but he wasn't all that interested. He'd seen the King glance over at his soldiers... would Yamato try to force him? But then there was a soft, melting look in Yamato's eyes.

Yamato almost blushed, but he knew it would be worth it. He patted his head again. "Pigtails. Sapphire ties." The hair sprang into position and two jeweled bands appeared around the tails.

Jolted out of his funk by the ridiculous sight, Taichi burst out laughing. It was impossible to feel threatened by someone looking so adorable. "Do you wear your hair like this often?" he teased.

Yamato smiled at him. "No, only for special occasions."

"I qualify as special," the Prince said, wanting to confirm.

"Definitely."

"And your regular style?"

Yamato patted his head. "Devastatingly sexxy."

The hair returned to how Taichi was used to seeing it. Apparently semi-sentient hair was capable of making aesthetic judgement calls. "How did you train it to respond to that?"

Yamato put his finger to his lips and winked. "Trade secret."

Taichi chuckled and resettled himself against the tree trunk. Yamato seemed to be going out of his way to make him feel comfortable and the Prince was content to let them await the nymph's awakening in an easy silence.

The King had different plans, however. Now that Taichi was relaxed, he could further probe the peculiarities of the Prince's curse. He kept his tone quiet and lazy. "So, what about you? If Mimi fixed mine to benefit me, why is your situation so difficult? What type of curse is it?"

"You really haven't heard? I would've thought the story had spread at least as far as your kingdom by now."

Yamato held up a hand as if making a vow. "I didn't even know you were cursed until you mentioned it today."

The brunet sighed. He still would rather have just stayed silent or taken a nap, but he knew Yamato wasn't the type to give up easily. It might be interesting to tell the story to someone who didn't already know the most intimate details of his life. He sighed again, but this time, it was against an old, heart-aching pain.

"I guess the first thing to say is that it wasn't my parents' fault. I was firstborn, like you, and they were absolutely paranoid about an evil fairy casting a spell on me, so they were extraordinarily cautious. Both Myotismon and Piedmon were invited and they were in the best of spirits when they arrived. The Royal Protocol Master sat them next to each other and after they each drank about ten bottles of our best reserve, they wandered a very inebriated line out the door, and didn't even bother to show up for Hikari's ceremony even though they were invited."

"So who cursed you?"

"Nobody knows. It happened after the party, my parents have told me. They were opening up the gifts sent for my naming ceremony and when my father opened the lid on a carved chest, a purple cloud floated out, hovered over my cradle, then settled in a fog so thick they couldn't see me. Mother rushed over, but she couldn't get to me. A voice boomed out, saying, 'He cannot know the touch of a woman until first he has known a lover. If this rule is broken, he will remain a swan forever.' Well, as you can imagine, my mother started crying and pulled me out of the cradle since the purple fog had disappeared. Of course, I turned into a swan and she started screaming. My father called for Gennai, but there was nothing he could do except change the time spent as a swan to three days for each careless touch. I remember Mom was always sad until Hikari was born..."

Yamato listened patiently until Taichi's voice trailed off. "That's all your fairy godfather could do?" he prompted gently.

"He said the curse was too powerful."

Something sounded off to Yamato. "But Gennai supposedly is the most powerful. Wouldn't the fairies have noticed another powerful renegade? Did you ask anyone else to help?"

Taichi stared at the ground. "Yeah, you'd think... but no. And we did ask other good fairies for help, but they all agreed that the curse was too powerful... said that maybe even more than one fairy was involved in its creation. And I've still got no clue why. But..." he flashed a grin, "my life isn't so horrible. There are ways around it. It only took me four years to figure out that I could safely use a soft stick to bop my sister on the head when she was being a pain." He missed not being able to hug his mother and sister, but he could live with everything else.

Yamato was fairly sure that Taichi hadn't found creative ways to enjoy a female's company, but he decided to bring it up obliquely anyways. "But I guess it's been pretty frustrating for you in other matters?"

It took a moment for Taichi to catch the meaning, but once he did, he slowly gave Yamato a once-over to let him know that he was interested, since the King was pathetically trying to figure it out. The blond still was going faster than Taichi liked, though. "I manage myself just fine," he said, staring into Yamato's eyes with the intent to make him uncomfortable.

Yamato had to break the eye contact, cursing his pale skin as he felt his cheeks flush. Normally he'd be able to control a situation like this, but Taichi, refusing to back down, was proving to be a challenge. He fought the blush back with a smile. The greater the effort, the richer the reward. Keeping in mind that fortune favored the brave, he decided to take it one step further before calling this portion of the dance to an end. He made himself comfortable, then tried to tug Taichi closer.

The Prince, naturally, resisted the King's urgings. He wasn't Yamato's property. He couldn't give in every time the older man thought he could get away with something. He glared in disapproval.

The King looked chastened. "If we're to rest, I just wanted you to be comfortable. The pavilions are up. We could go there if you like."

Taichi was fully prepared to shoot the man down again, but he noticed the soft, melting eyes that were just like the ones he'd seen before the King had put his hair up in pigtails.

"Let me get this straight -- you want me in your arms purely for my own comfort?" He waited until Yamato nodded, eyes sparkling. "So this would be just fine, then, right?" He stretched out on the ground and rested his head in the King's lap.

Yamato laughed and his shaking body jounced Taichi's head. Gently, he tugged the Prince up and directed the brown head to his shoulder before wrapping an arm around his waist. "That's all right, but this is better." His hand found Taichi's and stroked the finger that had his hair curled around it. Somehow it had stayed at a length long enough to still do so. He continued the soothing touches, expecting the Prince to pull away any second, but he never did. "So this is okay, then?" he asked quietly.

Feeling that odd heartache, Taichi let himself be settled against the King like a favorite ragdoll. He was too tired to fight or worry, really. That was it -- just easier to go along and rest. He was simply taking the path of least resistance. Just doing what he had to do. Anything to keep feeling this comfortable. And the King did have a nicely soft shoulder. He had to be wearing shoulder pads... because the rest of him... looked so... skinny... and... people... like... usually...

Yamato smiled softly when Taichi never responded and later, when he felt the man's breathing slow and even out, he allowed himself a silent chuckle. It had been a long day for him, and he supposed Taichi, being kidnaped and all, had been even more rightfully tired. In the distance, the men had the two pavilions erected, but he motioned them back and to stay with his free hand when they saw him looking their way. By the river, the knight was still standing a worried guard over the nymph.

With nothing more that he could do, Yamato lowered his head until it lightly rested atop Taichi's mass of untamable hair. He breathed the Prince's scent deeply a few times, then let himself drift off to sleep.

TBC...

***** ^_^ *****

On the word-usage: I don't particularly advocate jelly to be used as a hair-styling product, but in a quasi-medieval setting, I figured that because they had recipes like jellied eels, they could produce some sort of hair-product derived from animal hooves and the like. Gel, however pretty and apt the word, would be anachronistic in this particular setting.

Author's Notes: This chapter's my favorite. And I suppose I do owe a bit of thanks to the poor mother and her two-year-old twin girls I sat across from for three hours in the airport when my flight was delayed. The girls were loud and cranky (complete with temper tantrums), but oh-so adorably cute. And since I have a high tolerance for whining, crying children, we all had a bit of fun. Yamato's hairdo, or at least one of them, is owed to the girls and the majority of the fairytale twists introduced here were thought up in that airport. *worships her new laptop that nurtures 12 hours of traveling creativity*