Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dark Guardian: A tale of Rika and Renamon ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Dark Guardian: A tale of Rika and Renamon

Part Two: The new bodyguard is presented to Court.

Lady Rika opened the side door, the red haired woman stepping out into the view of the eyes of the lords and ladies of court. Dressed in her typically simple garb, she took a few steps to reach the simple chair that she dealt with the court's business and sat down.

Standing hidden in the deep shadows behind her, Renamon watched. She scanned the crowd and carefully memorized the faces of the men and women who showed any surprise on seeing Rika alive, scowling or frowning furiously. They at least knew about the plot to slay the lady, even if they were not involved themselves.

Rika smoothly ran through the business of the day, then she rose from her seat. "I would also like to make an announcement," she smiled, eyes glittering dangerously. "I have recently retained a bodyguard to protect me, as I have become aware of certain people who seem to wish me harm," she said, pretending to be mournful.

As they had planned Renamon released the shadows and stepped up beside Rika. "My name is Renamon," the fox woman declared, fixing the room with a deadly gaze, "and any who threaten my Lady will not live long enough to boast of it."

Rika had to fight back a grin. 'That certainly stirred them up,' she thought.

"My Lady," her vizier Rio blurted, "why wasn't I informed?"

"I chose her," Rika answered him simply before fixing him with a hard gaze, "as is clearly my right, is it not, sirrah?"

Rio blanched, stepping back, "Of course, ma'am!"

'Spineless toad,' Renamon thought of him disdainfully, being careful to not let any of her thoughts appear on her face. She felt a bit of satisfaction as she saw the white faces of those who had been displeased at seeing Rika alive, and considered upping the pressure on them. 'No, not until I ask Rika,' she decided.

"If there are no petitions?" Rika asked, looking down at the group of badly shaken nobles before her. Not a one spoke up, and Rika nodded, "Then I shall return tomorrow, to hear the words of the noble born once again."

Rika rose and walked back to the side door, Renamon shadowing her carefully. Renamon opened up the door to look inside, then gestured Rika in before following her inside. As the door shut Renamon murmured, "A few were clearly surprised to see you still living."

"Can you describe them?" Rika asked quietly as they started down the halls to Rika's chambers. Renamon's eyes scanned the hallway, seeking into darkest shadows for any sign of movement, any sign at all.

"Of course," Renamon sounded amused at the very question. "I learned to memorize faces back when I was merely a cub," she added. She described the two men and one woman, and Rika nodded thoughtfully.

"I know of whom you speak," Rika sighed, "they are simply followers. They saw an opportunity for advancement, and now that it has failed they will merely run and hide."

Renamon nodded thoughtfully, having made much the same assessment. "The one who hired the Guild, Lord Takato, is a greater threat," she noted. They reached Rika's chambers, where Renamon opened the door and gazed in cautiously before waving Rika inside.

"Is this really necessary?" Rika asked her softly.

"I was able to slip in," Renamon smiled slightly, pacing through the three connected rooms, "it's safest to assume others can."

Renamon gave Rika the all clear, and the young woman followed her in. 'She moves so gracefully,' Rika found herself noticing, 'not at all like me.'

Rika sat on the side of her bed with a relieved sigh, and Renamon's lips twitched with a smile. 'She's so young,' Renamon thought, 'to be bearing the duties that she does.' Quietly, she asked Rika "What can you tell me of this Lord Takato?"

"He is a distant relative of mine," Rika said to Renamon, "who also sought the leadership of my people. When his petition was denied by the high council, he was quite angry but seemed to accept their decision."

"Obviously he hid his true intentions," Renamon noted. The tall kitsune moved restlessly, occasionally standing by the frosted window to look out at the blurred shapes.

"Hmm," Rika nodded. She looked thoughtful, "I know little of his true character, but from what I have heard he is less than trustworthy."

"Those that hire the Guild," Renamon noted, "are rarely willing to act for themselves. As long as I can protect you from the assassins, you should be fine."

Rika nodded, "But I'd still like to catch him at something."

"Patience," Renamon smiled slightly. Her eyes narrowed slightly, her body tensing. "Stay here," she said softly, "you'll be safe."

With that, Renamon simply seemed to disappear.

"Wait," Rika started, then shook her head.

Renamon dropped down to the rooftop, looking around calmly. Simply she said, "It's been a long time, Lady Devimon."

The black clad figure seemed to appear from the shadows, a long, ragged black cape fluttering all around her. Her pale, attractive face was masked, and a set of metallic talons were attached to one of her hands. Her voice, however, was as smooth as silk as she said, "If you'd just kill her, lover, the Guild would take you back."

"I can't do that," Renamon answered softly, the muscles of her body coiled and ready for whatever might come.

"As you wish," Lady Devimon shrugged sadly, then she became a blur. She struck like a snake, her talons gleaming as she tried to rake them across Renamon's belly.

But the Kitsune was gone.

Hovering in the air above Lady Devimon, Renamon began to fall, her paw like hands filled with small knives. She released them in a storm of glittering diamonds, there was a soft, pain filled cry, and it was all over.

"I'm sorry," Renamon murmured, looking down at the black clad woman and remembering a night that they had spent together, not all that long ago.

Renamon gently cradled the body in her arms, bounding from the castle roof to the village, then across fields of grass until she reached the forest. She lay the body down there, knowing that the guild would recover her, bury her with honor.

Moved like a blur she returned to Rika's rooms, the lady looking up joyfully at her return. Rika saw the look on Renamon's face and asked quietly, "Are you all right?"

Renamon smiled sadly, "I will be." She paused a moment, then "They sent a... friend."