Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Dark Guardian: A tale of Rika and Renamon ❯ Chapter 5

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Part Five: Taking a day off.

Rio held his tongue, but only until they had left the court chambers and were in a private chamber nearby. "How could you?!" he demanded of Rika disbelievingly, stepping up to almost shout his words into her face.

Renamon moved like a shot to shove him back from Rika with only one hand, her expression nearly murderous as she said, "I do not care for your tone, sir. Moderate it, or else."

Rio paled at the fierce look on her face and took another step away from them.

Rika gently put her hand on Renamon's arm, and her protector visibly worked to control her temper. She looked at Rio and Rika asked him softly, but with intensity, "Can you tell me of one law that forbids them their request? Even one?"

Rio sighed softly, admitting, "I can't."

Rika continued on, "I will not make my decisions based on whom they might or might not offend. I must follow my conscience, whatever the cost."

It was quite obvious from the look on his face that Rio strongly disagreed with her, and he probably would continue to, but there was something else there as well. A grudging respect was visible as he said, "So be it, milady." With those words, he turned about and marched away.

"Perhaps he's not so much of a toad as you had thought," Rika murmured to Renamon softly once he was gone.

Renamon smiled at her wryly, "Personally, I'd wait to see what he says about you when you're not with him." She shook her head, dismissing him from her thoughts as she asked Rika, "What do you want to do now?"

Rika sighed, "I'll need to prepare for all the formal protests from the priests and noble families, most likely."

Renamon hesitated for a moment, looking down at the young noble lady who was standing before her. She saw the lines of stress that still remained on her face, even with the good night's sleep that she had been getting lately.

"What?" Rika asked, a bit of a flush appearing on her cheeks.

"Sorry," Renamon smiled slightly. Softly she asked, "Instead of waiting for them to trouble you, how would you like to take a day off?"

Rika's face lit up, then she frowned, shaking her head. Softly she said, "The courtiers and nobles would never allow it."

Renamon gave her a smile that could almost be described as evil, "I wasn't thinking of asking them." A little pause, "Do you want to?"

Rika just had to smile back, "Yes."

"Good," and Renamon surprised her by stepping forward and picking Rika up. She cried out softly in surprise, even as she felt those arms holding her gently close. "Put your arms around my neck," Renamon her advised, "and hold on tight."

"Why do I need to..." Rika started, but did what she was told.

"Because of this," Renamon grinned.

Rika gasped, as Renamon bounded down the darkened hallway, then right out the upper floor window. They seemed to hang there in midair, then almost soundlessly dropped down onto a slate roof. Renamon skimmed over the surface then leaped from roof to roof again and again. They soon reached the edge of town, and somehow remained utterly unseen by the townsfolk.

Rika laughed softly, muffling her voice against Renamon's soft, sweet smelling fur. "That was incredible," she told her softly.

"We're not done yet," Renamon said laughingly.

They crossed the fields of golden wheat at the edge of town soundlessly, leaving almost no sign of their passage behind them. The cool forest embraced them both, as Renamon moved through it like it was her natural home. She leapt up into the tree branches, continuing on soundlessly.

"It's beautiful," Rika murmured, looking about her in awe.

Renamon slowed just a bit, the leaves swirling about them for a moment, "Yes it is."

They reached a massive stone face, and like a cat Renamon climbed it easily. It seemed such a harsh place, almost stark against the soft green of the forest, and Rika began to wonder just where Renamon was taking her. They came to the top, and Renamon leaped down, bringing them to a rest upon... a field of green.

It was almost like an oasis, this place of vibrant green concealed in cold, hard rock. A few trees grew up, gathering sunlight, and the ground was covered with springy, soft grass. A spring burbled up water that Rika just knew would be both cool and sweet.

"It's.. wonderful," Rika murmured as Renamon gently set her down, knowing that her words were completely inadequate.

"I found it years ago," Renamon said softly, "and it became my refuge, when my life grew too difficult. I've never told anyone else about it, until now."

Rika looked at her, her eyes wide, "But, what if I spoil it for you?"

With a gentle smile on her face Renamon said, "You could never do that."

Rika smiled back at her, a few tears glinting in her eyes as she said, "Thank you." She took a few steps, then sat down to pull off her pair of boots, then strip off her socks. With a blissful sigh she wriggled her bare toes in the grass.

Renamon just had to smile at such obvious enjoyment. The tall kitsune paced over to a large stone nearby the spring, and with a surprising show of strength rolled it aside. Beneath was a cache of supplies, kept chilled by the waters of the spring beside it.

The bag of wine Renamon pulled out caused Rika to raise her eyebrow in question. Renamon laughed softly, "I was assured that it would age well." She uncorked it, took a sniff, and her smile broadened, "It seems I chose well."

Renamon passed the wine over, and Rika took a tentative drink. Her eyes widened and she gasped, "Whoo! That's got some kick."

Renamon drew out dried meats and some preserved fruit, carrying them over to Rika's side. She accepted the wine back and took a drink, before setting it down between them. "Hmm, jerky," Renamon pulled some off with her teeth before passing it on to Rika.

As Rika accepted it she softly said, "I'm glad you chose to share this place with me."

Renamon had a slice of fruit, while she carefully considered her answer. "I've never known anyone more worthy," she finally said. It wasn't quite what Renamon really wanted to say to Rika, but for now it would serve.

Rika didn't choose to answer her verbally, instead she simply lay her hand over Renamon's and squeezed it gently.

To be continued...