Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Desire ❯ Episode 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

EpisodeSix - The Taste
 
Daisuke unlocked his apartment door and walked inside. He laid his keys on the table next to the door and walked to the kitchen for a drink. He'd just gotten back from Jun's, and he still couldn't believe she was dating Matt's little brother. After the drink he went straight to bed. He stripped his shoes, socks, shirt, then climbed in bed. It'd been a LONG time since he'd slept on a bed this comfortable. He was practically asleep before his head hit the pillow. KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK, the door pounded. He opened his eyes, his face was deadpan. KNOCK, KNOCK, KNOCK, it came louder this time.
 
“DAMNIT!” He didn't bother with a shirt, only his pistol, which he held carefully. He walked to the door cautiously and slowly. He looked through the peep-hole, and then relaxed.
 
“Hold on a second.” He said as he put his gun in the table drawer. He opened the door and began to greet the person.
 
“Hey, what's up Ken?” WHAM! Daisuke hit the floor. “SHIT!”
 
“SIX YEARS YOU DON'T CALL ME AND YOU SAY, HEY WHAT'S UP KEN??”
 
“Goddamn, I'm sorry, the past six years, I wasn't allowed to call anyone and I just recently got back. I would've today, but I got a hell of shock at my sister's, which I'm still wondering if I was actually or just dreaming. Come on in.”
 
“That pretty much shocked us all. Not so much as-”
 
“Let me guess, the perfect couple splitting up, right?”
 
“No, now don't jump to conclusions. It was your leaving that shocked us most.”
 
“Well when I took that job I was told not to contact anyone after I left aside from family, I could only say good-bye to everyone.”
 
“Hmm, well, it's good that you're back.”
 
“Yeah, I'm glad to be out, make yourself at home, there are drinks in the refrigerator, I'll be right back I need to get some clothes on.”
 
“Alright, make it quick though, I want to talk about some things.”
 
As he walked back in the room, he picked up and flicked the remote in his hands, turning his stereo on low. He set the remote back down and joined his friend on his couch.
 
“So, this talk, what's it about.”
 
“Why'd you leave? When you left you said it wasn't about Kari and Tk, then what? I want the truth. You can't lie to me, I know you too well.”
 
“The truth is I was pissed, I couldn't stay around them I just couldn't do it. Then I remember that job offering so I called him up and took it.”
 
“That's sort of what I thought happened.”
 
“Yeah, as for the job, I enjoyed it only for awhile. Soon, though, I couldn't take it, getting injured was my way out.”
 
“Injured?”
 
“Yeah, it's alright to walk on, although my doctor says the contrary.”
 
“I didn't even notice.”
 
“What did you do all that time, where were you.”
 
“Sorry, even if I wanted to I couldn't tell you, it was far, too far. I know that much.”
 
Daisuke and Ken sat listening to the music for a little while, both silent. They sat there for another few minutes before a cellular ringing broke the silence. It was Daisuke's. He found it and looked at it.
 
“I'll be back in a sec, okay?”
 
“Sure, take your time.” Daisuke walked out to the balcony.
 
“Hey Michael, what'cha need?”
 
“Daisuke, I'm calling to warn you.”
 
“About what?” Daisuke's face was serious now
 
“We've gotten word and one of the members from a terrorist cell that you took down has been contracted into another cell and is on the move. They're in Tokyo, Daisuke, looking for you. I'll send-.”
 
“No, I can handle myself, if it gets too tough I'll call.”
 
“Be careful.”
 
“Yeah.”
 
“Daisuke.”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“The surviving member, it was Dailia.” Daisuke nearly dropped the phone. “Davis, Davis? Hey, you still there?”
 
“Please tell me you're fuckin' kidding. I shot that bitch my goddamn self!”
 
“I wish I was but it was confirmed, I didn't want to tell you unless it was.”
 
“How did she survive, not only did I shoot her, in the head mind you, the building burnt to a crisp.”
 
“Who knows, just be careful, they're on the hunt for you, ready to kill on site. Don't leave home without that gun, Dais, once our team's done here, I will personally go to Tokyo and take them down. The one good thing is, they only know you're in Tokyo, that's it, but don't expect that to last long because of your near-famous status. Once they figure out you're Daisuke Motomiya not Ryen, they'll be on your ass in a heartbeat.”
 
“What about classification, need-to-know?”
 
“Yes, but you have clearance to any others you think might be in danger.” Daisuke was about to continue, when he heard something.
 
“Hey I've gotta go, I've got company, but thanks, Mike.”
 
“No problem, stay alive, okay?”
 
“Yeah, later.”
“See ya soon.” The two hung up.
 
“So, how much did you hear?” Daisuke smiled as he looked over the park beside his building.
 
“I, uh, didn't mean to, I just, I'm sorry, I.”
 
“It's okay; I was probably going to end up telling you anyway.”
 
“Really?”
 
“No.”
 
“Gee, thanks. What was that about anyway, no wait I'm sorry, I shouldn't have listened to your conversation, especially since you just got back and-.”
 
“Terrorists.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“You asked what it was about, it's about terrorists. I'm an ex-ATD.”
 
“A what?”
 
“This is classified so keep quiet. ATD stands for Anti Terrorist Division. The ATD is a team of people gathered by the United States, China, England, and Japan. The four countries decided to work together and make the team using people from each country. It was created to infiltrate terrorist cells, gather information about other cells, and then destroy the cell. I was contracted to be the head of this group answering only to the head of the ATD, no others, meaning no one country could take control of it.”
 
“You lost me at ATD.” Ken said wide-eyed.
 
“Well, you made it farther than my parents.” Ken smiled and chuckled a little bit. They walked back inside and talked for a little while more, until Ken finally said he should probably head home. They said their good-byes and departed.
 
Daisuke stared for a moment, looking at the drawer that held his weapon. He pulled it out and left for his bedroom. He was tired, annoyed, worried, and pissed at the same time. Setting the gun underneath the pillow he fell onto the bad, tired won over apparently.
 
 
He awoke the next morning, not sure what the reason was though. Now that he had retired he didn't have anything to do. He thought about getting a job, but where? He did his workout and washed up afterwards. Still think of what to do, grabbing his keys he walked to the door of his bedroom to leave. He stopped then he remembered what his friend had said. Walking back to the bed he grabbed the 9mm and slide it in the holster under his jacket on his back. He locked his door and walked toward the stairs. Once down he decided to walk instead. He grabbed a paper to see if there were any job openings. The one thing that was in his favor was that in the US he was allowed to take classes in any chosen profession he picked three different types, first two years he took classes on business/accounting and the mandatory Criminal Justice Administration. He hated it, so that was out of the question. The second two he took various classes since there was little action, including a minor health care service class and an Education class. The last two he didn't attend classes since the action jumped so dramatically. So, out of the “real” jobs he could get, the only one he didn't hate was education, but he still didn't like that too much either.
 
He looked up from the paper; he had stopped in front of a Café and thought about grabbing some food. But decided he's walk a little more, maybe look for some place with a job opening. He didn't need or want the money; he just wanted to occupy himself. He didn't really have anything to do, or anyone to do it with for that matter. It wouldn't have been so bad, staying at home, if there were someone else there. An image popped in his head, he quickly shook it off and continued on his way. He walked past the old park, the one all the chosen used to meet in. He missed those old times, the ones they spent in the Digital World, the picnics and even the patrols though it.
 
He continued on his way, passing building after building, nothing interested him though. It soon started to get late, he figured he might as well get back, but he wanted to go a different way, so as he began to walk back he choose a different route.
 
Somehow, he ended up passing the U.N. building. Then he remembered about what Tk and Jun told him about Tai becoming one of the youngest ambassadors, he represented the digital world, must be tough. Daisuke thought he'd pay him a visit, besides, his arrival wouldn't stay secret for long. He entered the building and walked over to the security desk.
 
“What floor is Ambassador Kamiya on?”
 
“The third, but you have to have a level 2 pass.” The security guard said in a way that Daisuke knew was mocking. The guard was shocked at the next comment.
 
“Here, this is my pass.” Daisuke pulled his wallet out and showed the guard, his partner next to him saw the number.
 
“What? I've never even seen such, hey, is this thing real?”
 
“Run it through validation.” The guard punched the 7 numbers on the back, a screen popped up viewing verified.
 
“Well, sorry for the trouble sir, you're cleared.”
 
“Thank you, here's my weapon.”
 
“Weapon?”
 
“Yeah, aren't you supposed to check it in, or am I allowed to keep it?”
 
“Oh right,” the guard took the Berretta
 
“Elevators are around the corner on the right.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
“Sorry for the trouble sir.”
 
“No problem.” Daisuke walked around the corner and up the four steps to the elevators.
 
He walked inside and pushed the number 3 then watched the doors close. The elevator dinged and the doors opened. He walked out and walked to a glass double door. He pulled, it was locked. There was a woman sitting at a desk a little ways away so, he knocked on the glass, she looked up. Once she saw him, she reached for a button.
 
“Swipe your pass sir.” Again Daisuke pulled his pass from his wallet and swiped it.
 
The door unlocked, he asked the woman which room was Ambassador Kamiya's, after she told him he thanked her and was on his way. He turned two corners and saw the door that read Ambassador for the Digital World T. Kamiya. Daisuke knocked, after being told to come in he turned the doorknob.
 
“Yes, who is it?” Tai asked.
 
“Yo, long time no see.” Tai turned his chair.
 
“..........,” Tai looked closer.
 
“Davis!?!?”
 
“Hey man, what's up?” Tai stood up and walked over to him. Daisuke held his hand out, Tai grabbed it.
 
“It's been way too long.”
 
“Yeah it has.”
 
“It's nice to see you again.”
 
“Yeah you too.”
 
“Well, come on in, sit down.”
 
“Sure, I just came to say hi, figured my return wouldn't stay quiet long, might as well tell all of you in person.”
 
“Well, I'm glad you're back. Speaking of which, how long?”
 
“I was thinking along the lines of permanent.”
 
“Really that's great. Wait, I just remembered.....how the hell did you get in here, you have to have a security pass or have set-up a meeting.”
 
“I have a pass, it was given to me because involved moving through different countries and having to go in the different, United Nations in each.”
 
“What was your job?”
 
“Uh, well, it's too much to take in at once, plus it's not important.”
 
“You're going to tell me eventually anyway, but I let it go...for now. So, who have you seen before me?”
 
“My parents, Jun, Tk, and Ken and I still have the proof about the meeting with Ken. Tk apparently told him before I did and he wasn't too happy that I hadn't called him in 6 years.”
 
“So, when are you going to see her?” Daisuke knew who he meant, he looked to the wall, like there was something interesting.
 
“I don't know if I can, besides, I'm sure she doesn't want to see me.”
 
“Are you a professional moron or are you just stupid?” Daisuke was taken aback.
 
“I-.”
 
“Of course she wants to see you, she missed you most. She felt responsible for you leaving because she didn't tell you about her and Tk.”
 
“But I didn't leave be-.”
 
“The others might have bought that, but I didn't and she definitely didn't, she was the one who always knew when you were lying.” The two sat in silence, after a few minutes Tai finally spoke up.
 
“Want a cigarette?” Daisuke pulled one from the box. Again it was silence.
 
Daisuke broke the silence this time, “she was always good at that, wasn't she?”
 
“Good at what?”
 
“Cracking my lies, she always knew, always.”
 
“Yeah, mine too.”
 
“Well, I need to get back; I guess I'll talk to you soon.”
 
“Yeah, maybe we should have a welcome back party or something.”
 
“Maybe, I'll see ya later.”
 
“Oh, hey, there was one more thing I wanted to ask you.”
 
“What is it?”
 
“What level pass do you have?”
 
“Nineteen, why?”
 
“Just wondering, I'll see you later.” Daisuke closed the door and began to walk away.
 
Tai was still standing in the same place, but instead of a smile, he carried a serious face. He turned around and walked back to his desk, then sat down. `Only one group of people has levels that high. He's ATD...' His thoughts were interrupted as his phone rang.
 
 
Daisuke was nearly home now, he walked up the steps and walked to his apartment. He pulled his keys from his pocket and went to put them in his door, but it was already opened and cracked slightly. He returned the keys and pulled his gun; he cocked it and held it downward in front of him. Quietly he pushed the door open and walked in the place was clean, so it wasn't a burglar, though he might have preferred it over who he thought it was. He looked the room over, no one; he made his way to the kitchen, crouched, again, no one. Then he heard a noise come from his room, quickly, but quietly he made his way to it. He stood straight with his back against the walls. He jumped out and pointed the gun.

”AHHHHHH.”
 
“AHHHHHHH.” The person dropped what they were holding.
 
“I'm sorry; I didn't know who you were.”
 
Shit Davis! You scared the hell out of me.”
 
“Sorry Kari. How did you get in here anyway?” Daisuke quickly shoved the gun in a drawer.
 
“Your landlady let me in.”
 
“That's comforting.”
 
“Why do you need that?”
 
“What?” She pointed to the drawer that he shoved the gun in.
 
“I made a lot of enemies in my line of work. So what were you looking at?” He picked up the thing she dropped.
 
“It's the picture we all took the last time we were all together as chosen, instead of adults.” He sat it back on the dresser.
 
“Well, come on; let me get you a drink.” He led Kari back into the living room; he shut the door then walked into the kitchen grabbing her a drink.
 
“So, Tk said you're here to stay, is it true?”
 
“Yeah, as far as I know.”
 
“I'm glad, we all missed you.”
 
“......” He took another sip as he leaned on the bar.
 
“.......” She took another sip from the stool she sat on, across from Daisuke.
 
“.......”
 
“Why did you leave?” She asked, looking at him, he saw it on her face, she already knew the answer.
 
“You already know that answer, why ask it?” She was surprised, his voice sounded cold.
 
“I wanted to tell you, I just.......”
 
“You just what?”
 
“I just didn't want to see you hurt.”
 
“Well then, that really worked out well.” She flinched. “I'm sorry, I don't mean to be harsh, I just-.”
 
“It's alright, I should've told you back then.”
 
“.......” Again Davis took a sip; he looked out to the balcony. Stopped, but only for a second, “listen, I really want to have a normal conversation, but I've got stuff to do.”
 
“Oh, yeah, I'm sorry.”
 
“Don't be. We do need to talk though.”
 
“Yeah, I'll call you tomorrow, okay?”
 
“Yeah, bye.”
 
“Bye.” He watched as she opened the door, with a quick glance back, she shut the door. He stood still, for a moment only, though. He quickly jogged back to his room and picked up the phone, pressing 0 it rang and a woman picked up.
 
“Could you conne-.” Davis stopped, then immediately hung up. “Shit.” He stood there thinking for a moment, then he looked to the drawer, he went over, grabbed the gun, and walked out of the building. He opened the door to his car and started it. He pulled onto the streets and drove on.
 
Davis glanced in the rearview, “shit,” he whispered to himself. He made a random turn and then looked in the rearview. After a few seconds he turned again and looked again. “Fuck.” He looked forward and then slammed the gas down. He turned once more, the gas again went down, and with another glance he saw the jet black Nissan Bluebird racing after him. He sped through the red light across the main drag. The stretch of road he crossed was raised a little, when he passed over it sparks escaped from underneath the Trueno Sprinter. The bluebird slammed its brakes; Davis took a few more turns before slowing. He stopped at a small convenience store and walked inside. He had failed to look at the name of the store before he walked in. Yolie saw him stopped moping, ran over and hugged him.
 
“Davis!” She let go after he hugged her back. “You know I should kill you for not calling or telling me anything, right.”
 
“Hey, sorry, but I need to use your phone, I'm sorry to be rude like that. We can talk afterwards.”
 
“Follow me.” Yolie walked behind the counter and grabbed the phone, “here.” Again he pressed 0.
 
“Connect me to the U.N. please.”
 
“Okay, sir.” The phone rung, Yolie was far past lost.
 
“United Nations office, how may I help you?”
 
“Could you connect me to Michael Ryland, in the L.A. ATD office through a secure line please?”
 
“ID number please.”
 
“7670596.”
 
“Connecting sir, hold on one moment.”
 
“This is Michael, what's the problem Daisuke.”
 
“They're faster than we thought, I left this morning, when I got back my phone was bugged and they'd already set-up a team across from my building.”
 
“Shit, where are you know.”
 
“At a friend's, she owns a convenience store. I had to lose a tail just to get here.”
 
“Alright, our team is in China, I'll order them out immediately, we'll be there by tomorrow.”
 
“Okay.”
 
“Oh, and Davis, I was going to tell me tomorrow, but I guess you need to know this now. Your license to kill has been reissued. Also, we're not pulling you back in, we're helping you get free, know that now.”
 
“Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow.”
 
“Okay, I'll call this number when we arrive tomorrow.”
 
“But I...” He hung up. “...'m not staying here.” Daisuke sweat dropped and shut the phone off.
 
“Um, Yolie?”
 
“Yeah? Is everything alright?”
 
“Yes, but....my ex-boss is coming to help me out, unfortunately my phone is bugged. Can I stay here tonight, he said he's going to call here and I didn't get a chance to tell him I wasn't staying here.”
 
“Sure, on one condition. Tell me everything.” His eyes twitched, `she was the one good with blackmailing, I should've remembered that...'
 
“Sure, we'll talk upstairs.”
 
End Episode 6