Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digiball Z TURBO: The Virus, Majjinmon ❯ In a Rut ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER ONE
 
The next day, the team was off duty from their police-work, and patrolling, and they were hanging out at a café that day for coffee, and doughnuts… Cody even got his first taste of real caffeine, and ordered a second cup.
 
“Easy, Cody… Don't get hooked on this stuff.” Yolei said. “The last time I had a coffee rush… my parents almost put me in a ward.”
 
The others held in small laughs as they all remember how funny she was; acting like a crazy cat lady. Rushing about and throwing sofa cushions at people.
 
As they all enjoyed their snacks, they couldn't help but notice that Davis seemed to be far away. He was just sitting there staring down into his coffee with his hand against his cheek. He didn't even touch one of the doughnuts on his paper-plate.
 
Veemon also seemed to be in the same sour mood.
 
“Uh… Davis…?” Ken asked, “Are you okay…?”
 
Davis still didn't move, and Veemon didn't move either. “Uh oh… sounds like a pair somebodys' are in need of a little kiss.” Gatomon said.
 
Kari agreed, and they gently pecked their boyfriends on the cheek passionately. Everyone was most surprised, “Amazing… a peck on the cheek at they don't even move.” said Patamon.
 
“It would appear that something is troubling them…” added Hawkmon. Everyone gazed at him with the sarcastic expression, “You think…?”
 
That's when Yolei decided to try a little trick of hers “It never fails…” she picked up two sugar cubes, and pitched them at Davis and Veemon's heads. “Hey…” Davis groaned.
 
“What was that for…?” added Veemon.
 
“What do you think…?” TK said, “You two haven't smiled since we nailed those men the other day. What's the matter?”
 
Davis and Veemon sighed, and complained about yesterday's fight, and the other criminals they had all rounded up. “We've been to all those fights and we didn't even have to do anything.” Davis said.
 
Both he and Veemon were so incredibly powerful on the team, that no or days they barley had to raise a finger or anything to beat the bad guys. “What are you guys sayin'?” asked Armadillamon, “You're acting like your all plumb bored.”
 
But actually, he was right on the nose, and the others felt they could understand that. Davis and Veemon were their strongest fighters and it would only make sense that they would begin to feel bored and unchallenged.
 
Fighting off criminals wasn't exactly as challenging as the ways they would used to fight super powerful Digimon villains; like Cell-MyotismonThe Band of Seven… even the evil alien, Friezamon
 
But it had been almost a year now and no villains that powerful had shown up, which of course was a good thing meaning the world wouldn't be at risk. Still… Davis and Veemon were where they were now. Bored, unchallenged, and not seeing much to gain for it all, even their government fees weren't enough to satisfy them.
 
 
Later on, everyone lay at home in bed wonder what to do for Davis and Veemon. They all knew too well that training and sparring with them wouldn't help. Even all of them put together was no match for Davis and Veemon.
 
Cody was still just learning how to master his Super-Sayian 2 skills, and even that wouldn't be enough.
 
How could you help two skilled fighters find the challenge they were looking for, when all challenges that were out there were too tame and easy for their tastes?
 
As Cody drifted off to sleep, he began to have dreams of the old days before he was granted his super-powers, or even went to the digital world for the first time. He was just a stuck-up stubborn little boy who used to push himself too hard in his Grandfather's kendo classes.
 
Even when it came to tournaments, Cody managed to make it pretty far, but only because his opponents weren't as skilled as he was. That's when the real challengers began to step up, and Cody had his fair share of defeat.
 
“Remember my boy…” his Grandfather would always say, “A tournament is used to test one's skills… but it can also lead to you finding the challenges of a lifetime. Learn to brush up on your skills… and try more prune juice of course.”
 
 
Cody snapped awake. “That's it. It's perfect!” he cried. “PERFECT…!”
 
“Yeah… perfectly annoying for someone's who trying to catch some Z's” groaned Armadillamon. “Good night!”
 
Cody held his fingers to his mouth, “Oops…”
 
 
The next day he presented his idea to Izzy and the others…
 
He told him about Davis and Veemon feeling down in the dumps, and how this idea was made to cheer them up. There was word of a special program in Japan that was sponsoring a world martial arts tournament, not just for people, but Digimon as well.
 
He thought maybe if they all entered, maybe Davis and Veemon would find the challenges they were looking for, and it was perfectly safe for the human fighters, for the rules stated that humans could only face humans in one ring, while Digimon could only face others in another ring. “You guys entering the world's martial arts tournament isn't a bad idea at all.” he said, “But don't you think that you guys are a little over qualified?”
 
“He's got a point Cody…” Kari said, “If I know Davis and Veemon, they can tear through all those challengers without much effort, just like the rest of us.”
 
Cody knew all that, “But that's part of my idea…” he went it over with the others that perhaps there was some way that they could fight in the Digimon ring, despite the rules and all.
 
“Uh… I'm not sure they'd allow that Cody.” Izzy said. “These people go to extreme lengths to insure that people can't fight with the Digimon… unless they pass the entry tests.”
 
That's when everyone began to catch on. The entry tests were a series of skill tryouts to see if a Digimon was strong enough to qualify just for the elimination rounds.
 
One by one, everyone went over the things one would need to have just to be accepted for the tests. Someone strong… fast… tricky… and most importantly, powerful… that was them, and Davis and Veemon all over.
 
“Uh-huuuuh…” they all said with cheeky expressions. It was decided, they were going to enter, but strangely when they told Davis the news…
 
“No!” he snapped, “No… no… and again no! Out of the question…!”
 
The others were most shocked. “But Davis… why…?” Ken asked, “We thought you wanted to get out of this dry-spell.”
 
“Well I do…” Davis said, “But not like this…”
 
Everyone then remembered Davis' oath to his powers. He wished for them that he would use them only to do well in the world, and avenge the death of his father who couldn't be wished back with the eight Digiballs…
 
This meant, he wouldn't use his powers for silly reasons, “And this tournament is no acceptation!”
 
“Uh, Davish…” Veemon said, “Actually… as much as I want to agree with you, I jusht can't.”
 
Davis looked down at the little blue monster, “Veemon…”
 
He went on to explain how he knew what Davis meant by sticking to his rules, but right now, “Look at ush… thish is no dry-shpell… we're falling into a rut.”
 
Davis looked at himself in the mirror, and gazed upon that sour looking man who stared back at him. He began to feel convinced; maybe the tournament would do him some good.
 
“Davis… please.” Kari said giving him her sad puppy-dog eyes, and that was one trick that still never failed. “Oh, alright… for you Kari… I'm in…” he said. His girlfriend smiled, and hugged him, “But why do I have a feeling I'm going to regret this.”