Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digiball Z TURBO: The Virus, Majjinmon ❯ Challenging Challenges. ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

CHAPTER ELEVEN
 
Down, down the long Snake-way road Davis ran, he couldn't tell just how far he had come already, but he knew he didn't have time to stop now. “Gotta run… time's running out!” he kept thinking to himself.
 
So he ran, and ran for hours, but he did stop once in a while to catch his breath before continuing his run, and a few hours later, he could see something up ahead. “Hey…” he panted to himself, “What's that…?”
 
There at the end of the road was a small island floating on the clouds with a large pillar stretching far up into the heavens. Davis began to have a feeling that this was going to be something like the Korin Tower he saw on TV…
 
His theory was correct when he noticed the little sign by the tower which explained the next challenge; “The TEST of Endurance.” He was to climb to the top of the tower by hand and foot only; No flying or falling off.
 
Davis looked up, but couldn't see the top as the tower seemed to stretch up so high. “Man… did she think of everything or what?” he babbled. Then he did a few simple stretches, “Okay… ready or not,… here we go!” he cried proudly as he began to bound his way up the tower. “Ugh… GRR… Mmm… Eeh! Up-up-up-up…!”
 
The higher he got, the more the clouds began to surround him, making it harder to see, and slowing him down too. “Blah… and I thought clouds weren't supposed to be this bad…”
 
Meanwhile
 
In the time chamber, Babadimon had been dancing around and acting like a fruity nut-cake for a long time now. The others were really glad that no one else could see this because they never felt so embarrassed in their lives.
 
The girls were even starting to turn red in the face, but finally, Babadimon stopped dancing and shouting. “Ahh… there we are.” he said sounding a little parched from all that chanting.
 
He motioned for Yamopomon to fetch him a drink from the refrigerator located near the entrance door. “You have done well for the first bit of our training Digi-Force….” he then said to the others, “But our task is not yet completed.”
 
The others remembered what was said when the dance first began, “So what's the next bit our training supposed to be?” asked Thormon.
 
“And please don't tell me it's more dancing…” Kari nearly begged.
 
Babadimon shook his head, “No, and be patient!” he said almost sternly.
 
The next part of the training was just as Yamopomon had warned everyone earlier. It was less humiliating, but much more boring…
 
Babadimon had used his magic to construct a giant ring on the ground. The others were required to sit within the ring, and focus for twenty hours while he worked his magic. “This will help to channel the spiritual energies I have awakened within you to your powers… but you must not move, and continue to concentrate.”
 
Some of the others were relieved that at least they'd get a chance to sit down and relax, but all of them were pretty much annoyed that they would have to just sit still like that. Nevertheless… the old wizard knew what he was doing… or so he said… so they all went along and just sat there on the ground in deep mediation.
 
Meanwhile
 
Davis had climbed much, much higher on the towers, but right now he was just hanging where he was puffing and panting. “Does this… tower… even have… a top!” he grunted.
 
He climbed higher, but much slower, and that's when the clouds went all black, and he could hear rumbling off in the distance, as bolts of lighting began to come towards him “Uh-oh!”
 
BOOM…! A huge bolt stuck him, “YIIIII-E-E-E-E-E…AAAH!!” it didn't vaporize him, but it sure did burn, and that's when he began to bound up the tower like the lighting itself before anymore bolts tried to strike him, but it was hard to hang on to the tower without slipping off… especially as he tried to dodge more bolts.
 
“Whoa…! Eek…! Hey…! Look out…!” finally he popped up through the clouds like a cork in a champagne-bottle. “Whoaaaaaaaa… ouch!” he landed with a huge thud on solid ground. He sat their rubbing his rear, “Man… and I thought those in the afterlife weren't supposed to feel pain-- oh wait… forgot… I'm not dead.”
 
At least he made it through the second challenge, and was ready for the third, only… he thought it was some kind of joke. There was nothing too suspicious before him; just a long pathway that lead all the way to a forest on the other side.
 
“Heh… what does Babamon take me for?” he said as he cockily began to run along the pathway, without reading what the challenge was on the sign…
 
The moment his foot stepped on the stone pathway everything went all black. “Huh…?” Davis took a few more steps forward, and then suddenly he could hear heavy footsteps coming towards him.
 
Suddenly, two huge Godzilla-like monsters came up from out of no where and roared with all their might. “WHOA…!” Davis cried as he rolled out of the way before their huge laws bit him in half.
 
“Where the heck did those guys come from…?”
 
“Hey squirt…!” called a familiar voice. Davis looked round, and saw “Jun…? What are you doing here?” The young doctor looked at her brother in anger, “Giving you your medicine, that's what!” and she pulled out a huge hypodermic-needle, about the size of a missile.
 
“YIKES…KEEP THE HECK AWAY FROM ME…!” Davis cried and he began to dash in the opposite direction before she had a chance to stick it up his already sore behind.
 
Suddenly, as he ran off the path, the darkness faded, and everything was back to normal again. “What the…?”
 
He was officially confused. It was hard enough to believe that all those scary things just came out of nowhere, but now they all just vanished into thin-air. What was with that?
 
Davis wondered if this had anything to do with the challenge. So he checked the notice-sign, which he should've done before, and realized that it was called, “The TEST of fear!”
 
And below the title was a notice explaining how the challenge worked…
 
No man… not even Davis was without fear. So the pathway ahead was magically designed to portray images of what he feared the most. The more he would fear, the more real the images would become and actually able to harm him.
 
Davis groaned in anger, “Man… can't I ever catch a break!”
 
He thought it over for a little while. He already knew there was no other way through, and he wasn't known as the Digi-Destined of courage for nothing. Still, to face his greatest fears…? “I know I'm going to regret this.”
 
He drew in a huge breath, and dashed for the pathway roaring like a tiger to help keep his nerves strong. The moment he set foot on the path did all the danger start up again.
 
First it was the two Godzilla monsters. He did exactly what he did before and just rolled out of the way. “Bite your own tails…!” he called back at them.
 
Next came Jun, with an even bigger needle than the last one. It flipped Davis out a little, but not enough to make him punch it out of her hands causing both his sister and the needle to vanish. “I always wanted to take a whack at her.”
 
More and more dangers followed as he crossed further up the path, and finally… he saw something that was possibly his biggest fear of them all. “Kari…?”
 
It was her, and she was there with, “TK…?”
 
They were looking deeply into each other's eyes, “So you finally dumped Davis?” TK asked Kari.
 
She nodded, “We're through! I never cared about him to begin with. All he ever cared about was his own self.”
 
Davis felt heart-struck, “Kari… you can't mean--” but Kari didn't even look at him, almost as if she couldn't see or hear him.
 
“Oh TK… Take me into your arms.” she begged to the other man. Davis watched horribly as TK embraced Kari in his arms and their faces moved closer together. “No…! NO…!” Davis roared as he charged towards TK with his fist ready to knock TK to the next dimension. “OKAY… YOU'VE HAD IT TK…!”
 
He thrust his fist forward, and rushed right through the images, “Whoops… AAH!” and landed with a thud on the other side of the pathway. “Aww… not again!” he groaned. He passed the test, but hurt himself again. “I'll have to remember to give Bababmon a good talk or two when I see her again.”
 
Still, only two challenges were left, but Davis was starting to feel a little beat. He almost thought of stopping to take a bit of a rest, but that's when he realized, “What am I doing…?”
 
He couldn't rest, not now. Already many hours were wasted on the challenges, and that left him with so much as a day and a-half left to get the Potara-Earrings and get back to the Digital-World before anything worse happened…
 
 
Sadly, he had no idea that already more than half the Digital-World's population had been wiped out at the hands of Majjinmon. The evil virus blew up mountains, crumpled cites, burned down forests… and even drank all the waters, even the ocean's salty water wasn't bad for him.
 
“This is too easy…” he chuckled wickedly. “This world is all so pathetic, and weak. I need to find more beings; more land…!”
 
Then suddenly, he began to think of all the humans who had challenged him back at Babadimon's shrine, and it was then he realized, “Yes… of course! Heh, heh, heh…!”