Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digidreams Do Come True! ❯ Mimi & Michael’s Night Out! ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
I hope the first chapter was okay for you all and thanks to those of you who did leave a comment. That was definitely some good advice, and I shall apply it at once. Sorry the previous chapter went on for as long as it did, but I really wanted to do a “goodbye” scene with each Chosen Child and his/her Digimon Partner. I guess, in a way, it’s just establishing the fact that all of the kids, along with Michael (the Digidestined kid Mimi met when moving to America), is going to appear in this story in some way or form at some point or another. I also just randomly paired some of the characters off last chapter to move it along a bit faster.

By the title of this chapter, I’m sure you all are going to just automatically assume that the two are a couple, but they aren’t for this fic. Oh, just thought I’d mention a change. For the original, Michael uses the honorific “san” with Mimi. For this story, I’m making Michael a bit more casual with her. I’m not going to let him use an honorific with her. I also have in here, Michael going on about how he first met Mimi. What’s said isn’t really canon. Canonically, they met on 9/11, even though, if I’m not mistaken, the other Digidestined kids she met then never got the chance to formally introduce themselves, meaning she didn’t really know him yet.

Now, as always, I do not own any of the characters/places associated with the show, manga, game, etc. Bandai and Toei have that honor and right.

Chapter 02: “ƒ~ƒ~‰f‰æ‚Ö‚¢‚ ;«‚Ü‚¹‚ñ‚©?”
“Mimi, eiga e ikimasen ka?”
“Mimi, would you like to go see a movie?” Mimi & Michael’s Night Out!

Mimi stared at the person she saw, quite surprised. Instead of it being someone who could literally harm her, she found that it was the complete opposite. There stood a boy a bit taller than her, with bright, wavy blonde hair, and mesmerizing deep blue eyes wearing a pair of blue jeans, a green t-shirt, and a black jacket.

“Michael!” Mimi screeched at the boy. “How could you scare me like that!? How did you change your voice the way you did?!”

The boy couldn’t help but laugh, while holding his stomach. “I did it because you look cute when you’re scared.” He held out his left hand. In it was a small black box, which had a few buttons on it and a part to speak through. This device allowed one to change the pitch and tone of one’s voice. “I guess you can take care of yourself,” he sniggered. “I was just testing you; I wasn’t expecting you to take a bat out on me.”

Mimi playfully swung the bat at the boy threateningly. “I could so hurt you right now, Michael!”

“Sorry, sorry,” he apologized while stifling his laughter.

“Who let you in?”

“Your mother did,” he explained as he sat down on Mimi’s bed. “I noticed that she was dressed up too, like she’s going someplace special.”

“Yeah, papa has to go to a dinner party, and my mom’s going with him.”

“Oh, so that explains it.” Michael went through his coat pocket, and pulled out a CD. “I brought this over for you,” he said as he tossed it to her. “You should like this; I know how much you like this group and just had it recently imported, thanks to my father of course. Too bad you couldn’t get it earlier, like the first day of its release.”

“Cool!” the girl exclaimed, reading off the title. “I’ve wanted to hear this album for a while now! Who cares if it came out just a few weeks ago! I so love the group dream!”

“Yeah, I hear that Love Generation is a pretty decent album. It’s nice to know that you’re still a fan of them, even though they changed up quite a bit.”

“Yeah, I do miss Mai-chan, but the music is still nice.” She tossed the CD back to Michael. “Pop it in so that we can listen to it.”

Beside Mimi’s canopy bed, was an exquisite dresser, and on it, sat Mimi’s pink Radio, which doubled as a CD player. Michael put the CD in, and both sat back and bopped their heads to the music.

“Oh, I like this song. I heard this one a while ago through satellite when the group performed it on Hey! Hey! Hey!

“This is a nice song, and I know you sing it well too since you have the single this song is from. You sing better than they do.”

“You know that’s not true.”

“I’m serious, whenever you go back to Japan, you should join the group and become the new lead singer.”

Mimi slightly blushed from the compliment. “Silly. Thanks for bringing this over.”

“No problem.”

Mimi still resided in Manhattan, New York along with both her mother and father, and was in her second year of high school. Along with the music-loving girl, was her good friend Michael, who of which was also a Digidestined.

Even though Mimi wasn’t native to the land, she still managed to remain popular amongst her peers, and was still well-rounded. Having lived there for a little over three years, she had gotten a bit used to it. As far as school went, she was in the chorus, managed to become leader of both the cheerleading squad, and the Pep Squad, and she even took a Rhythmic Dance class. Another club she was a part of, was the Foreign Language Club, which was pretty interesting to the teen since there was so much to learn dealing with other cultures. The club was made up of a lot of different languages; the most being French and Spanish.

She was currently learning Spanish (she needed a foreign language requirement). She felt that Spanish would be easier to learn as opposed to the other languages her private school offered, and wanted to try and tackle one of the well-known “Romance Languages” in general. The other types of languages that her school offered were: Chinese; Japanese; German; Italian. Those languages made up the rest of the club.

Michael stood and bowed, as if the perfect gentleman. “Would you care to dance, my dear Mimi?”

“I would love to, good sir,” she laughed as Michael took her hand. The two danced along to the music. The song that was currently playing was an upbeat one, which both enjoyed.

After the song finished, both sat down. “Wow, dancing can sure be tiring,” Mimi breathed out.

“Something else you’re good at,” Michael whistled as he lain out on the bed. “I was never all that great a dancer.”

“Well then, I’ll show you a couple of dance steps, just like I did with my…”

Michael sat up, wondering what had caused her to go instantly quiet. “Mimi, what’s wrong?”

“I was just remembering the time I taught Palmon how to dance,” she responded quietly.

“I guess you really miss your Palmon.” She nodded somberly. “I miss Betamon too. We all had good times together.”

“It’s been almost two years since I’ve heard from Palmon. If only we could go back and see them. I hate the fact that every time a gate seems to open, it’s because the Digital World is having some type of a crisis. According to Gennai-san, that was the reason for it closing permanently this time since the Holy Beast Guardians don’t want to risk anything evil entering it, or exiting it. What was the point of Oikawa-san making that barrier in the first place?!”

“Maybe it’s just an extra precaution.”

“Why can’t we just all have a nice, quiet day there where nothing goes wrong?”

“My guess is that everything is still okay since no gates have opened neither purposely nor randomly, and none of your friends from Japan have mentioned anything about there being any trouble on their end, and everything on our side is okay.”

“True,” Mimi stated plainly, wanting a more optimistic response out of the boy, or either a solution to their current problem. “After we returned to our world, Koushirou sent me an e-mail telling me about how both he and Miyako-chan tried my idea of opening up another gate to the Digital World through his computer, but it didn’t work.

“I’m starting to wonder if we’re finally too old to visit the Digital World anymore,” the girl frowned. ‘I wish I could go back five years and spend time with Palmon all over again without the threat of Devimon, Etemon, Vamdemon, and the Dark Masters. I really really miss her…’

“Hmm, let’s find a way to help cheer ourselves up,” Michael suggested, realizing how both could use something to get their minds off of their current situation that neither had any control over. “We could go out to a movie, and then have ourselves some dinner, and I’ll treat.” He looked down at his watch. “It’s a little after five now.”

“I guess that’d be okay.”

“Okay then, hop onto your computer, and let’s find ourselves a movie.” Mimi nodded and took a seat at her computer desk which was located on the other side of the room. She rarely ever used it, ‘cept to send e-mail to her friends, school assignments, and listening to mp3s and CDs while doing her homework. She hardly ever surfed the internet for anything and didn’t really have much patience for chat rooms and instant messaging, as she preferred to go out and physically interact with people; besides, she still wasn’t all that great a typist.

It took the two a while, but they decided to catch an 8 o’clock film starring Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet called Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, which was being shown downtown. It was being shown over, despite the fact that it had first been released months earlier. Neither one of them cared for movies by Jim Carrey, but figured that this one wouldn’t be too bad, as it wasn’t a comedy, therefore, he more than likely wouldn’t be acting the part of some annoying, obnoxious character, like say Ace Ventura.

“Well, this one sounds interesting enough, since the two main characters are trying to erase each other from one another’s memories,” Michael commented dryly. He really wanted to see Resident Evil: Apocalypse, but knew that Mimi didn’t care for those types of movies, and this was supposed to be an outing to help cheer her up and to get her mind off of things so it would only be fair to go to one of her choices, as opposed to his at the moment. ‘I’ll get to see that movie at some point!’

“It sounds a bit sad that two people who started off as a loving couple can actually grow to dislike each other to the point where they want to literally forget one another, but maybe it’ll turn out okay in the end.”

“I guess. Anyway, we’ll probably be back sometime around midnight or close to it; do you think your parents will mind? I know mine won’t since they’re both out of the country right now.”

“They are? Where are they?”

“My old man’s filming his latest movie in Switzerland, and my mom decided to tag along for a couple of weeks. She should be back by the end of this month.”

“Hmm, I guess my parents wouldn’t mind it if I went out tonight. They’ll probably still be out whenever we get back,” she smiled mischievously, “and what they don’t know, won’t hurt them.”

“Ahh, very sneaky. I see some of my ways have rubbed off on you.”

Mimi giggled and let her folks know what she and Michael were planning. After the “okay” from her mother, she grabbed her jacket – perfect for the cool, crisp, early autumn weather – and headed out the door with Michael by her side…
~*~*~*~*~*~
A few hours later, hours past midnight, the two returned to the big, surprisingly empty, house, discussing the movie in-depth and how it was actually interesting. Michael went on about how he liked the way it ended, leaving one to speculate on what happened to the couple after getting back together, while Mimi didn’t care for that aspect. She just wanted them to directly come right out and say whether or not the couple would be happy or not.

Michael was planning on going home, but decided to get Mimi home first and to call his home – which currently consisted of servants – to let them know that he was still at the Tachikawa home, and how he was planning on staying for a while since Mimi’s parents hadn’t returned from their dinner party. After he was done with the phone, he joined Mimi in her room, who was hanging up her dark-red jacket in her huge, walk-in closet.

“After seeing this movie, I guess I can say that Jim Carrey isn’t too bad. I think I prefer him in more serious roles instead of stupid ones where he just repulsed me, like that movie, Dumb & Dumber!”

“Well, the title wasn’t an understatement,” Michael laughed, “that movie was dumb.”

“Just so you know I won’t be able to hang out with you tomorrow. We’re having a Foreign Language Club meeting.”

“Oh, is that so?” Michael made himself comfortable on Mimi’s stuffed-animal-decorated pink canopy bed.

“Yeah. For this meet, we’re going to be talking about Japan. I know I’ll really enjoy it, and I can tell everybody else all that I know about Japan since I’m from there, and can also make it very clear that the Chinese and the Japanese are different. I also promised to sing a few Japanese songs that I know and like.”

This grabbed Michael’s attention greatly as he sat up. “What songs did you choose?”

“I decided to sing a few songs by one of my favorite artists, AiM.”

“AiM…AiM…is she the one who used to go by the name, Maeda Ai?”

“Yeah. She only started going by the stage name AiM in about the year 2000 so that people wouldn’t confuse her with another singer by the same name. The other one is much younger than AiM, but there was still a bit of confusion.”

“Well, in that case, I know who you’re talking about. AiM is a very nice singer.”

“The songs I plan on singing tomorrow are: I wish...; Itsumo Itsu demo; Ashita wa Atashi no Kaze ga Fuku; Itsu Demo Aeru Kara; Find Out; On the Hill~Kaze wo Kanjite~; Like a Candle; Super Girl. I really like them all, and have many more, but narrowed it down to those. I may have to narrow it down a bit more.

“Everyone really wanted me to sing to them since they like my voice, so they said anyway. It’s like I’m going to practically give a mini-concert for the entire club tomorrow afternoon and we’re going to have the meeting in the auditorium, which is even better.”

“Well, you do have a pretty singing voice, and *you even sound a bit similar to AiM.”

“No way,” Mimi shook her head, “I’ll never sound as nice as her.”

“Mimi, you’re good. I’ve heard her songs, and I’ve heard you sing plenty of songs in Japanese since you like karaoke. You sound great; maybe even better than her.”

“Michael,” the girl giggled, her cheeks going slightly pink.

“You know I don’t lie,” he winked. “I was just wondering, though; what are you going to use for music? I doubt that you could get any of the strings or band members to play those songs since it’ll take more than one night to learn the music.”

“I’m taking my karaoke machine with me along with a CD that has all of the karaoke versions of the songs with the background vocals. I’ll just sing to that.”

“All of the songs you mentioned have karaoke versions of them?”

“Well, no, not exactly. Find Out, Like a Candle, and On the Hill~Kaze wo Kanjite~ don’t, but I don’t have to worry about that.”

“But how are you going to sing to the karaoke of a song if the karaoke doesn’t exist?”

“*Koushirou-kun to Miyako-chan,” she answered briskly.

“What about them?”

“A while ago, when I promised this, I really wanted to use those particular songs. I asked them if they knew of a way for me to, and Koushirou told me that he could easily filter out the vocals using some audio-editing program. Both he and Miyako-chan work on the sound for the Teen-Age Wolves, Yamato’s band, so they have access to the equipment used down in the studio.”

“So they just filtered out the main vocals?”

“Yep.”

“But wouldn’t that sound a bit bad quality wise?”

“I think so, normally; I don’t know much about that type of stuff, but they did do a terrific job on it. You’d never guess that these songs didn’t have an original karaoke. They sent the songs back to me through e-mail in mp3 format, and I burned them onto a blank CD as audio, along with the other songs I mentioned. I just have to decide on the order I want to sing these.”

“Amazing, I never knew that you could do that type of thing.”

“Maybe I should bring in some props or do something to create a Japanese type atmosphere. Michael, I really wish you would join. You’re very good with Japanese, and you can speak Spanish fluently.”

“If I didn’t have my Karate sessions, I would. I’m already up to my second brown belt, and I also have a Swimming Club meeting. Have to prepare for the spring. It’s kind of strange, though, how my Karate and your Foreign Language club seem to fall on the same days at times.”

“I forgot all about your Karate.” She rested her hand on her hip. “The club is looking for more multilingual students, and you’d be the perfect candidate since you know about three languages fluently: English, Spanish, and Japanese.”

“I know a bit of Italian and French too, but not too much since I didn’t live in Italy or France too long.”

“Wait, can’t you speak some Mandarin Chinese too?”

“Yeah, a little bit, but reading is difficult for me, just like with Japanese. The only reason I ended up learning anything at all was because of my father. He filmed a lot of his movies in China and we lived in Beijing, which is how I picked up on Mandarin Chinese.

“I only know the Spanish because of living here in New York and had Spanish-speaking friends. I just picked up on it. I can get by with it, but don’t ask me to write anything.

“As for the Japanese, I just found the culture interesting when I was very young. In our old neighborhood, we had a lot of Japanese-Americans in it, and had friends who were. Too bad we ended up moving, and I had no one to speak it with, until you came along.

“My English teacher asked if I would like to earn extra credit, and you know I jumped at the chance to. She explained the situation of a new Japanese student transferring to our school who didn’t know much English. That old Junior High School of ours didn’t have Japanese as a language and no teacher to help you out, and my English teacher knew that I was studying the language on my own, which is why she asked.

“I’m glad I was able to tutor you in English; you caught on very quickly. The Spanish I’ve been speaking since I was really little, and my mother speaks it, so I picked up on it from her too.”

“I never felt that I caught on all that fast, but you were very patient with me,” Mimi smiled dreamily. “Pienso que aprender español es mucho mas facil que ingles.”

“Hey, you’ve been practicing, even though that’s pretty much book Spanish,” Michael stated with an approving smile. “Do you really think it’s easier to learn Spanish than it is to learn English?”

“Sí, tambien, francés es mucho mas dificil que aprender que español.”

“So you think French is harder to learn than Spanish too?”

“Sí,” Mimi gave Michael a sly look, “pero japonés es mucho mejor.”

“Oh that’s just cheating, saying Japanese is easier than English,” Michael laughed. “Well, good luck to you for tomorrow. Sorry I won’t be there.”

“That’s okay, I don’t mind, but I can give you a demonstration right here. I should get in some last minute practice anyway. Which song do you want me to try to sing first?”

“Hmm, how about Itsumo Itsu demo?”

“Good choice; I really need to practice with that one a bit since there are no background vocals. I wish... is another…”

“Mimi?”

“I’ m sorry,” the girl apologized while forcing on a smile. “I just had another memory. I was thinking about the time I had to sing to awaken Tonosama Gekomon (Shogun Gekomon), and the song I performed for him was I wish...

“Seems like most everything can remind you or link you to the Digital World.”

“Yeah, seems so. Even the computer does.”

“The computer?”

“It reminds me of going to the Digital World, and of Koushirou. He’s definitely a computer nerd, but during our adventures in the Digital World, he figured out the majority of things while there, and stuff concerning our Digimon through his laptop computer. It also reminds me of how we traveled to and from there when the newer kids were chosen, opening up a gate through the computer.”

“Maybe, but I just get this feeling that there’s more to this than just missing Palmon. I’ve noticed how you’ve been in general lately. Is there something else going on?”

“I’m a bit homesick right now...”

“I figured it was something, since lately, you’ve been talking about Tokyo and your friends there non-stop.”

“I don’t hate it here; I just really wish I were back in Odaiba right now.”

“You don’t mind if I ask why, do you?”

“No, not at all.”

“I’m all ears.”

“The problem is with my friend, Sora-san. She is having some boy trouble right now, and I just wish I were there to give her some moral support, like a good friend.”

Michael couldn’t help but smirk. “Yeah, you girls need to stick together. Girl Power!”

Michael, I’m serious!!”

“So-so, what type of trouble is it? Let’s see if I can give some advice from a guy’s point of view.”

“I hope I don’t bore you too badly with this drama stuff, but here it goes. Sora-san is dating a guy, but she’s doing it in secret. She’s been dating him for almost two weeks now. She has a guy friend, and doesn’t want him to know about it because she has an idea as to how he could possibly feel about her. To make things worse, her ‘secret boyfriend’, is best friends with her guy friend, and he feels the same way as Sora-san does.”

“Do I know these guys?”

“You know of them, but that’s not important right now. What do you suggest that they do? I told her that the two of them should tell their friend. It’s better to hear it from them than from somebody else.”

“I was going to say something like that. It’s tough keeping something like that a secret for long. I’m sure that their friend would find out eventually, and it’d probably make him feel worse. Is Sora really good friends with this guy?”

“Yes, best friends. He’s her best guy friend.”

“Then she should go on and tell him. It’ll mess up their relationship if she doesn’t. Best friends shouldn’t keep secrets from each other, especially over something so trivial. Also, if he values his friendship with her, he’ll be happy for Sora, not jealous.”

“I hope she does just that, and if she doesn’t tell him, I hope her new boyfriend tells him.”

“So it’s a real love triangle, eh?”

“Yeah, it really is…”

Wanting to get off of the topic, she went over to the computer and picked up a CD labeled, “FLC Songs 1”. “I’m going to practice now with my karaoke machine. Could you set it up for me, please?”

“Yeah, alright.” Michael got up from his comfortable spot and pulled the karaoke machine out of Mimi’s closet.

Mimi was looking through her dresser drawer for her other CD she was planning on using for the club meet. “Now where did I put that thing,” she muttered.

While both teens were occupied with their tasks, Mimi’s radio began to play.

“Michael,” Mimi looked back, “did you turn my radio on?”

Michael looked up from his spot and shook his head as Mimi joined him. “No, I was about to ask you if it had an automatic timer or something for it to come on.”

“No, I don’t use the alarm on it.”

A faint, white glow seemed to illuminate the pink radio as it crackled and sparked. There was also an inexplicable wind filling the room, which caused the young girl to instinctively grab hold of Michael’s arm. It was like a hurricane was specifically targeting her room.

“Michael, what’s happening!!” Mimi shouted over the whistling winds.

“I don’t know, but let’s get out of here!”

The two ran towards the door, which had been slammed shut due to the wind. Michael tugged at the door, pulling with all his might. “Hurry, Michael!” Mimi told him urgently, as she moved some of her long hair from out of her face.

“The door…it’s stuck! It won’t open!”

Before either one could react in general, a beam of bright white light shot out from the radio, hitting the both of them. Mimi and Michael screamed as they felt themselves being pulled into the light. Not wanting to be separated by this abnormal occurrence, both spontaneously clasped hands.

“Michael!”

“Mimi, hold on! Don’t let go!”

The two now found themselves in a strange, tornado like structure, being tossed around as if trapped in a waterless washer.

“I...can’t...hold...on...” Michael grunted, feeling Mimi’s hand slipping from his.

Both screamed as they were forced apart, flying in opposite directions.

“Mimi!!!!”

“Michael, no!!!”
Author’s Notes

Note 1: I just thought I’d include a note here to explain what each song is. For the record, all of these songs were chosen at random.

I wish…: This is the first Digimon Adventure ending theme song. For the actual sequence, it shows all of the kids (minus Hikari and Tailmon) and their Digimon up to their adult (champion) levels. At that particular time, she was still going under the name, “Maeda Ai”. This is also the original song Mimi had to sing to awaken Tonosama Gekomon (Shogun Gekomon) in the episode, Princess Karaoke.

Itsumo Itsu demo: This is the second Digimon Adventure 02 ending and at the time, she was going by “AiM”.

Ashita wa Atashi no Kaze ga Fuku: This is the first Digimon Adventure 02 ending theme, and she was going by “AiM”.

Itsu Demo Aeru Kara: This song is by Maeda Ai, and is Mimi’s Digimon Adventure character theme. It can be found on the I wish… single (as well as a few albums). Whenever doing a character theme, AiM is pretty much always credited through her real name.

Find Out: This is the b-side track of the Stand By Me~Hito Natsu no Bouken~ single (the special one that was released). A-side track, Stand By Me~Hito Natsu no Bouken~, was movie 3’s ending theme song. This, too, was performed by “AiM”.

On the Hill~Kaze wo Kanjite~: This is performed by Maeda Ai. It is the b-side track of her Keep On single. Keep On is the second Digimon Adventure ending theme.

Like a Candle: This song is the only “non-anime” related song mentioned so far. This is the theme song for the PSX game, Meimai Kishidan. It’s a very pretty song, and I highly recommend it. For this, she was still going as “Maeda Ai”. As a matter of fact, this single was released at the same time Keep On was (October 8, 1999; two days after my b-day. ^_^)

Super Girl: This is a nice, upbeat song. It’s performed by Maeda Ai, and it’s Mimi’s Digimon Adventure 02 character theme.
***
Note 2: Michael’s statement, “...you even sound a bit similar to AiM”, is pretty much a true one. AiM (Maeda Ai), is Mimi’s seiyuu (voice actress) and for practically any Digimon-related fic you may read by me, and Mimi’s “singing” is pointed out, I will more than likely always go on to mention AiM, or have another character allude to the fact that Mimi sounds like her.
***
Note 3: “Koushirou-kun to Miyako-chan”, simply means “Koushirou and Miyako.”