Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digidreams Do Come True! ❯ The Chosen Children's Return Home... ( Chapter 34 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Well, this story is about to be wrapped up pretty soon, and if you stuck with it this far, give yourselves a big pat on the back. I hope you’ve enjoyed it; I know I enjoyed writing it for you.

Did you all figure out whom the two adult (champion) leveled Digimon that Gennai was talking about? They were Ogremon and Leomon. Elecmon can evolve to Leomon, while Kunemon can evolve to Ogremon. I also gave a hint, by having Gennai indirectly give off the implication of one of them being dead and almost reaching that level again. As you viewers of the series know, for Digimon Adventure, he was killed out, as the ultimate (mega), SaberLeomon, when trying to protect Mimi from MetalEtemon.

Now, as always, I do not own anything dealing with Digimon; Bandai and Toei have that right.

Chapter 34: “‚¨‹A‚è‚È‚³̵ 8;¢!”
“Okaeri nasai!”
“Welcome home!” The Chosen Children’s Return!

Shin had just arrived at the police station from Narita, and was talking to his brother, as well as introducing his girlfriend to him. As it was pointed out, by Shuu, who had gone out to greet them, the sky wasn’t as dark as it was earlier.

Malissa had joined the Kido brothers as well. She’d never met Shin, and had heard lots of good things about him from Jou. Right when Shuu was about to introduce her, a gate opened up out front, which was causing an uproar and lots of commotion. A bright light shined around the area, and when it cleared, all of the children were finally back home…

“We’re back…” Meihui mouthed out gratefully. Before she could even take in her surroundings, though, her parents rushed out of the station and hugged the girl tightly.

“Are you okay?” her mother asked while squeezing her even tighter.

“I’m okay,” she managed to get out, her voice a bit muffled. “R-really, I’m okay.”

“Where did that ninja outfit of yours come from?”

The girl chuckled lightly with a sweat drop. She actually had no idea…
****
“Eiji-chan!!” Mrs. Akihabara rushed to her daughter, and she too, gave her a life-threatening hug. “I’m so glad that you’re back!! I was worried sick about you!”

“I’m glad that I am too, m-mom, but could you let me go?”

The plump woman let go of her small daughter, her eyes watery from the joy she felt, but that soon changed to that of a scowl. “Don’t you ever leave like that again!!”

“But mom, it wasn’t my fault!! I was just…taken…” Eiji began, as she tried to explain the entire story to her…
****
Malissa saw Jou, and rushed to him. She jumped up and gave him a big hug.

“Malissa-kun?” This surprised the math & science whiz; the girl’s showing of such affection.

“I’m just so glad that you’re all right,” she cried in English. “I was so worried about you.”

Whenever the girl grew nervous or worried, or was in a highly emotional situation, she would start to mutter or ramble on in English. Jou was pretty much the only one who knew this about her. When at home with her family, it was no big deal, since they spoke in English. Since she was speaking in English, Jou did so as well.

“You were worried about me? I thought I’d never hear anyone say something like that about me.”

“Of course I would worry! You’re my friend!”

“I’m sorry I missed dinner.”

“That’s all you’re worried about?!” the girl asked in disbelief, finally letting up on the hug. “Jou-san, having you back is much more important than some old dinner!”

“Hey, bro,” a voiced called out.

“We thought you‘d never get back,” another voice chimed in.

Jou looked over Malissa’s head, to see the two who had addressed him. He looked on in surprise as he broke the hug. “Shin-niisan! Shuu-niisan! What are you two doing here? You’re supposed to be in Hyougo of Kobe, and you’re supposed to be in Kyoto. Both places aren’t particularly close; especially Hyougo.”

“You thought we wouldn’t come to see what was going on with you?” asked Shin in surprise. “We were worried about you.”

Shuu laughed as he ruffled Jou’s hair. “How cold do you think we are?”

A petite woman wearing a mini-skirt, heels, and a long-sleeved blouse walked up beside Shin, and flashed Jou a glamorous smile. “So this must be Jou-kun.” The woman held onto Shin’s arm. “He’s kind of cute, just like his brother.”

Shin blushed and introduced her to Jou. “Pleased to meet you.”

“Shin-chan, has told me a lot about you and Shuu-kun, and now I finally get to meet you.”

Jou blinked, while Shin looked ready to jump off of a bridge. Shuu looked like he was trying his best not to laugh. “Shin-chan?”

“Don’t go any further than that,” warned the older boy. “Yes, she calls me that!”

“Erm, um, Malissa-kun, do you have my research from the library?”

“That’s our brother for you, eh, Shin-chan? Always studying and worrying about school.”

Shin nodded in agreement, until he realized what Shuu had said. He gave him an evil glare, which shut the sniggering boy up.

All of the families “glomped” their children ecstatically while reporters fled to the scene in drones just to get statements and interviews. To the Chosen Children’s surprise, these reporters were skeptic, as well as the Captain Akio. While all of this was going on, an aberrant Daisuke had isolated himself from the groups as well as his family, and walked off. Right now, he felt smothered and the need to be alone. He hated that feeling, as he really wasn’t used to it.

Hikari, at the moment, was talking with Takeru and his mother, who had given the tall boy his hat back. When glancing back, to see where her parents had gone, since they were both with Taichi, she noticed Daisuke gloomily shifting off. “Will you please excuse me…”

“Where are you going?” asked Takeru.

She pointed towards Daisuke, who was walking down the block. “Remember I said that I was going to try to help out Daisuke-kun, since he seemed so upset?”

“Oh yeah, you did say that.”

“Well, he seems down, and I’m going to talk to him a bit.”

“Is there something really wrong with him?” asked Ms. Takaishi. “I notice he hasn’t been coming over as much lately.”

“It’s kind of difficult to notice stuff like that, when you’re never home,” Takeru darkly murmured under his breath.

“Takeru, did you say something?”

“Oh, nothing,” he answered quickly. He didn’t mean to come across as ungrateful or resentful, even if lately, his mother had been doing some things that had caused him to have a slight hostility towards her, lately. “It’s nothing at all,” he said while forcing on a smile.

Hikari could sense the tension coming from Takeru; a type she’d never witnessed before, but figured she should deal with Daisuke first. The source of this tension was obviously dealing with his mother, and figured that Takeru would have to deal with it himself; Daisuke had been unusually gloomy in general towards everyone. “Well, erm, I’ll be right back. If you run into my parents, please let them know where I went.”

With that, the girl took off to catch up with Daisuke and dodge reporters…
****
“I was so worried about you!” Mrs. Izumi said while hugging Koushirou tightly.

“Let’s not suffocate him, now,” laughed Mr. Izumi.

Even though Koushirou was glad that his adventure was over, he just wasn’t himself. He just shrugged, deep in thought, while his mother hugged him. “Are you feeling okay?” his mother asked while letting go.

He glanced over, to see that Miyako had managed to get away from her family, to join up with Ken, whose parents were talking with reporters. He then looked back to his parents, and with forced enthusiasm and fake happiness, told the two, “I couldn’t be better. I just want to go home. I’m very tired.”

The redhead was not only thinking about Miyako’s overt fondness of Ken, but the story of the deceased Chosen Child was still plaguing his mind. He had so many questions that he, himself, couldn’t answer. The other thing that was taking up his mind was Mimi. Her mystifying actions towards him made him quite curious, but he couldn’t help but inwardly smile over it. He’d almost forgotten what it was like to hang around with her. For some reason, he couldn’t wait to get home and figure out the gate business, just so that he could see her again.

“If you say so,” his father briskly stated. Home sounded pretty good to him. “Let’s go home, son.”

Koushirou walked off with his parents, who decided on taking a taxi home, not too upset over the fact that Ken and Miyako were possibly becoming more than friends, as his mind was surprisingly elsewhere and on another person. It was bound to happen sooner or later, anyway…
****
Miyako had grown tired of beating around the bush, and finally confessed to the ex-boy-genius, how she truly felt about him. She was usually forward when it came to most things, especially if she found a guy cute or handsome, but where Ken was concerned, she was unusually shy of the possibility of her fondness of him meaning more than that.

Ken’s reaction was one of surprise, as he dug a finger into his ear to make sure he’d heard the girl right. “You mean, you like me?”

“Y-yeah,” she nodded bashfully. “I have for a long time.”

“But what about Koushirou-san? I was always under the impression that you liked him since you always hanged around him a lot.”

“He took too long,” Miyako admitted with a sigh. “I waited and waited and waited, but he never seemed to notice me, and always treated me like a friend, or like the younger sister he never had,” she finished up with a frown. “He never seemed to show he had any interest in me other than a friendship. I admit that I was drawn to him, but my crush wore off due to how he treated me. Even now, he still only sees me as a friend.”

Ken felt his face go partially red as his stomach grew nervous once more. “So…would you like to go out some time?”

“I’d love to, Ken-kun!”

“When?”

“I’m not sure. I guess I’ll get back to you on that.” Miyako noticed her sisters, brother (who’d just arrived), and parents urging her to leave. The reporters had finally finished with them. “It looks like I have to get going, and you have a good ways to go with your folks back home.”

“Yeah, you’re right. Since tomorrow is Sunday, maybe I could see you then, that is if you aren’t busy or anything.”

She nodded, and insisted that he call her time he got home. He agreed. Before Miyako ran off to join her family, she gave the boy a hug, and when no one was looking, kissed him quickly on the cheek. Her folks decided on taking a taxi back along with Mrs. Hida, and splitting the costs between them. Iori had insisted on staying back, and told his mother that he was going to accompany Takeru and Ms. Takaishi back, since he wanted to tell Eiji, “good bye”.
****
“Daisuke-kun! Hey, Daisuke-kun!”

The boy glanced back to see Hikari running towards him, but his currently bitter heart, wouldn’t allow him to stop walking. After a couple of seconds, he realized that that would’ve been completely unlike him, and stopped.

“Hey, where are you running off to?” she asked while trying to catch her breath. “Your place is way too far from here to be walking.” Daisuke stuffed his hands into his pockets, and shrugged indifferently. “Isn’t it nice out right now?” she asked, painfully trying to make conversation.

He shrugged again, and coolly murmured out an, “I guess so.”

“Daisuke-kun, is something bothering you?”

“Why would you care,” he unintentionally snapped at her.

“Dai-Daisuke-kun.” She stared at her friend, taken aback. She wasn’t expecting him to speak so harshly to her. “I’m-I’m sorry.” Hikari grew quiet, as she lowered her head, and looked away from the boy. “Do you…hate me,” she asked him slowly. Daisuke only looked at her, but remained quiet. “Well, do you?”

“No, I don’t hate you,” he stated plainly. “I don’t hate anybody.”

“Then why have you been so bitter towards me lately? You seem to be avoiding me constantly and you don’t talk with me after our home games anymore. It’s almost like I don’t exist to you anymore!”

“It’s nothing, really. Why don’t you go talk to Takaishi; you would probably rather be doing that anyway.”

Hikari was surprised at the tone he’d used, and the fact that he’d referred to Takeru as “Takaishi” in such a resentful nature. His entire demeanor was coming off as being quite hostile. “I’m not worried about Takeru-kun; I’m worried about you! He’s not isolating himself from me or anyone else like you are! I want to know what’s wrong, so that we can fix it!”

“Why?”

“Because you are my friend, and I hate to see any of my friends upset!” She couldn’t believe how stubborn the soccer player was being.

Daisuke, on the other hand, wanted to avoid the subject, and sighed heavily. “Wouldn’t you rather be with Takeru right now?”

“I already talked to him, and we were going to discuss what to do tonight since the Tokyo Dome event has been cancelled and is in the process of being rescheduled, according to his father.”

“Well then,” he sarcastically sneered, “you better hurry up and join him. I’m sure he wouldn’t want to be left waiting.”

Seeing Daisuke like this was painful on the crest bearer of light, and her eyes were beginning to sting from holding back tears. She’d never been treated this way in her life by anyone, and the fact that this was a friend made it even more heartbreaking. “Why are you acting this way?” she choked out. “Why? What did I do?”

“If you can’t figure it out by now, then why should I tell you?” The girl shook her head and shrugged in confusion; she had no idea what he was talking about. After holding it in for so long, Daisuke spontaneously spilled out all of his sour feelings. “When’s the last time we’ve gone someplace together, just the two of us? When was the last time you’ve come to one of my games and cheered for me? When’s the last time you’ve talked to me without Takeru having to be around? Do you remember Hikari? Can you actually remember that far back?”

Hikari stared wide-eyed, as she finally figured out what was bothering her friend, and realized that it was serious; Daisuke didn’t refer to her as “Hikari-chan”. Since she and Takeru had been hanging around one another more, she’d been inadvertently ignoring Daisuke. It was normal of her to ignore his romantic passes at her, which had been dying down anyway, but she was ignoring him as a friend, too, which had to have been painful for him. “I’m…I’m sorry. I had no idea…”

“Well, now you do. Now, if you’ll excuse me…” Right now, he didn’t care where he ended up, as he felt even worse. He started off again, but Hikari stopped Daisuke, by grasping onto the taller boy’s right shoulder.

“Daisuke-kun, please wait. I didn’t mean to be that way. I didn’t even realize it.”

“It’s not your fault; you have Takaishi to hang around with.”

“I know that you dislike Takeru-kun, but---”

“You don’t even know me anymore,” he interrupted with a scoff. “If you did, then you’d know that I don’t hate or dislike anyone! I never have, and probably will; Takeru included. He’s a really good friend.”

Hikari stared down at the ground, her heart heavy. She felt absolutely miserable. “I guess we’ve grown apart.”

“I guess we have,” he replied quietly.

“And it’s all my fault!”

He felt pretty low. He wanted Hikari to feel bad for what she’d done, and he figured that he would enjoy that, but due to his curse of wanting to befriend pretty much everyone, he just couldn’t. “Look, it’s no problem, Hikari-chan.” Putting a hand on her shoulder, he gave her a small, semi-cheery smile. “Don’t be so hard on yourself.”

“But it’s true!” she cried, while wiping away a tear. “It is my fault! I can’t believe I could be so…so…heartless!”

“Whoa!!” Daisuke countered while waving his hands. “Heartless is something that you are definitely not! You care about everyone. You always put others before yourself and all that other good stuff.”

“Do you think things would be better if we just caught up?”

“Maybe…”

“Okay, so how about this; next Saturday, you and I will spend time together with no one else around. It’ll be just the two of us and if we’re lucky, the concert might be rescheduled for next Saturday, so after spending the day together, we can go to the concert. I hope Yamato-san and his band get discovered. They have been practicing a lot.”

He nodded. Even if the two weren’t together as a couple, having her around as a friend was just as nice, if not, better. Honestly, that’s what had been truly bothering him, not just because he could never get her to be his girlfriend. Sure it did bother him that Takeru probably had a better chance, but not as much as her ignoring him.

“Great, and to make this day even more special, we’ll make it our own official day! Every year on the 25th of September, it’s going to be the Friendship Day of Daisuke & Hikari! With this day, we will never take our friendship for granted again.”

“Sure, I would like that, but isn’t that a bit close to *Shubun no hi?”

“Oh, it is, isn’t it? Families are usually busy visiting gravesites of their ancestors and deceased loved ones during the week of the Autumn Equinox, and it’s usually during that week. I guess that wouldn’t be a good idea. I guess we could just work around that or just pick a date that both of us can agree on that doesn’t fall on any holidays or during any festivals.”

“Yeah, I guess that would work.”

“Now, won’t you come back with your family now?” She gave Daisuke her signature “sweet” smile. “I’m sure they would worry if you’re not with them when they’re ready to go home.”

“I guess you’re right; I really shouldn’t worry them more than what I already have. Even my sister was worried about me.”

“Yes, I saw her,” Hikari said with a giggle as they headed back. “She hugged you more than your parents did.”

“Only because she got to me first,” he laughed. During the brisk walk, the boy’s spirits lifted as well as his demeanor. He looked to his left, and in a cheerful manner, told the girl, “Thank you, Hikari-chan.”

“Thank you for what?”

“For being a great friend!”

She gave him a big grin, and her heart felt a little lighter. One of her good friends was back to his old, cheery self, and he promised her self that she would never cause that kind of pain again…
****
All of the other families were now heading to their homes, as the reporters had finally gotten all that they wanted (but most seemed to be leaning towards the abductions being very clever alien encounters), and statements had been left with the police. Ken and his parents took the metro back to Tamachi, while Shin, Shuu, and Kitsune stayed at the currently vacant Kido homestead. Jou decided to accompany them, since it had been a long time since he’d spent any time with his older brothers. Shuu insisted on Malissa joining them, who was shy to take the invite, but was soon convinced by the older boy. She explained to her folks, when calling, that she was going to spend some time with “Jou-san and his brothers and Kitsune-san” and that they were all “new friends”. Her mother was hesitant on this, until Malissa mentioned how the Kidos are known for their physicians and medical abilities, and how Jou’s brother, Shin, had become a doctor. She insisted that Malissa spend time with Shin and get lots of good tips. Malissa also gave Mrs. Tosho a call to inform her that Jou was okay and that he was back, safe and sound.

Eiji promised to give Iori a call when getting home, and it was a call that Iori was really looking forward to. He felt that it was interesting how one trip to the Digital World could change him so much, and help him to make a new friend. His crush on Miyako also seemed to become non-existent, as he was, unknowingly, growing attracted and interested in Eiji.

After arriving home, Koushirou paced about his room as he was trying to figure out how to work the gates so that he and his friends could visit whenever they chose to. It didn’t take him long to figure it out for him and the other kids (it was a lot simpler than Gennai had made it), but he was now curious as to how to set it up for Mimi. He’d sent her an e-mail explaining this much, and going on about all that had happened in the Digital World just recently, but me managed to keep that short, simple, and to the point since he was anxious to get back to work. He had been up all night trying to figure it out, and refused to sleep until he figured it out otherwise.

He sat down in front of his computer, the gears in his brain turning. He brought up a map of Mimi’s area, studying it. A thought then came to mind, as he pulled out his Digivice. ‘Why didn’t I think of this before!’ he told himself. ‘Her Digivice’s set up is the same as us older kids’! It should have the same frequency as ours! She should be able to use her computer! *She has a Pineapple Laptop and a desktop, just like I do. I can set up coordinates for her, and all she has to do, is input them, and she should be able to go to the Digital World!’ After the self-praise, he hurriedly sent the girl an e-mail with the information, along with his questioning what had happened after returning home and if it was as hectic there, as it was in Tokyo after they’d returned.

After sending the e-mail, Koushirou shut down his computer, and fell face-first on the bed, to rest. He surely deserved it…
****
Gomamon: Everyone else was probably sleeping while Koushirou was working on the gate business.

Tentomon: Everyone, minus us Digimon, that is.

Palmon: (Groans) Wait, are you saying that there’s more to this story?

Betamon: Yep, sure is.

Tailmon: (Sighs) There’s never a moment’s rest when it comes to RP’s fics.

Agumon: What more can she talk about?

Patamon: I don’t know, but we’re going to find out soon. We’re supposed to tell the story for the next chapter.

Gabumon: He is correct, so please keep reading everyone.

Hawkmon: The epilogue of this story, presented by us, is coming up next!!

Author’s Notes

Note 1: Shubun no hi, is the Autumn Equinox Day, and is not to be confused with Shunbun no hi (which is the Spring Equinox Day). It usually falls on the 23rd or the 24th of September. During the week of the Equinox, people visit the gravesites of their ancestors/loved ones. This is done for “Shunbun no hi” as well.
***
Note 2: This is just some random information on the laptop thing. If you watch episode 40 of Digimon Adventure 02, Mimi had a laptop similar to Koushirou’s, only it was pink. So far, it seems she’s the only other Chosen Child to have her own personal laptop, aside from Koushirou.

Koushirou and Mimi are also the only two out of the Chosen Children, for the original, whom had their instrumental themes played for them: Digital Scratch~Koushirou no Theme~ and Sweet Innocent~Mimi no Theme~. Since it’s been such a good while since I’ve watched it, I don’t remember if the version played for Koushirou was the first or the second, but I’m pretty sure it was the first. For Adventure, I noticed that they only seemed to play the second, faster version whenever he was doing something worthwhile involving his computer, like when he was hacking into that computer data base to find that medicine for Hikari (which I had him make reference to a few chapters ago). As for Mimi, it was the first version, which is quite slow and mellow compared to the second.

None of the other Chosen Children of the older group, had their themes played for them for any of those World Tour episodes, which surprised me. I assumed that there was going to be a pattern with the playing of the older Chosen Children’s themes for each World Tour episode that each appeared in, but it obviously wasn’t.

I know that this was all irrelevant, but I just felt like pointing it out to you all anyway.