Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Dark Journey ❯ Middle Management ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8 middle management
 
“Everyone here? How'd it go?”
 
“We got attacked by a giant mantis, but we manage to drive it off. Guilmon and Renamon both digivolved.”
 
“We got attacked by a Giant Green Baboon. Everyone digivolve to Champion except Armadillomon, Cody had him armor digivolve cause he happened to have his D-Terminal with him when he got sucked in through the gate.”
 
“Does anyone else happen to have their D-Terminal?” Kari looked around.
 
Davis held up his. “I was emailing Izzy for some help with my sales chart right before I got sucked in.”
 
“So that's what, 4 digieggs? 5 if Davis can figure out how to summon up his Digi-egg of miracles that always comes through in a pinch.” Cody was calculating when a shout come out of the forest to the left of everyone.
 
“Black Pepper breath!”
 
“M16 Assasin!”
 
“Diamond storm!”
 
Seconds later a slightly burned Commandramon came out of the forest dragging a Black Agumon. Renamon appeared next to Rika seconds later. “We caught him spying on us.”
 
“Shall I Execute ma'am, or would you prefer interrogation first.”
 
“Stop it!” Kari shouted as she ran towards the beaten, but still conscious creature. “Agumon!” She hugged him. This startled everyone.
 
“Kari?”
 
“It is! Agumon!”
 
“not all that Agumon, part part only. But still know you. Also part, BlackWarGreymon.”
 
“That's BlackWarGreymon? But, wait, I'm confused…” Davis was trying to comprehend it.
 
“It's the Agumon Tai and I met when we were really little kids. Or part of him. He must have ended up in the Dark Area after that battle.”
 
“I, absorb data from, spire's program, was part of BlackWarGreymon. Recognized Raidramon, follow, data included memories, what you doing here? Dark, evil place, this.”
 
Kari was actually crying at this point, tears of joy running down her face. “how did you get here?”
 
“Me, Parrotmon, destroy each other,, I end up dragged here with him, no digiegg, near death, absorb spirit's data before it become dark thing.”
 
“It must have been the Data from BlackWarGreymon. But how did it get here, and how did he lose it?”
 
“He was made from the control spires, and the control spires were basically made from the substance of the Dark area, It must have drawn the data back in, the parts blown away by MaloMyotismon, and it was found by this Agumon. Perhaps that is why he's black.” Ken hypothesized.
 
Commandramon stepped forward and saluted. “I apologize for attacking you from behind, perhaps I should have attempted to identify you first.”
 
“No Commandramon, You did your job. Even if he was a friend, he was still sneaking around, hiding, spying. You reacted exactly as you should have.” Tina told him.
 
“Thank you Ma'am.” He saluted again.
 
“BlackAgumon, are you going to be alright?” Masaru asked.
 
“Yes, I believe I'll be fine.” He stood up, shook himself, and wavered ever so slightly on his feet. “See? Fine.”
 
“so, off to see what the heck we can do about Mr. Dragomon?” Morgan asked the group.
 
“Sounds good.” Leo and Masaru both answered. Takuya grinned, Koji nodded, slowly, there was assent from everyone.
 
Then Cody asked a pertinent question. “Shouldn't we have a better plan than just to charge in?”
 
Zach looked at him. “oh course, but without good recon, and proper assessment of the situation and just how powerful Dragomon looks to be, we can't form a proper plan. We're better off going now that waiting around more.”
 
“Right.” Cody nodded, swayed by Zach's argument.
 
They all set off. Black Agumon was near the back, surprised he'd been invited along, even if it was Kari who insisted he come. Then he found Agumon walking next to him, and the two fell into a Q & A session, Agumon asking questions, Black Agumon answering if he could.
 
Lucas fell back alongside Henry and Davis. “Are we really sure we can trust him? Kari is the only one who seems to know him, and we have no proof he's got any of the good parts of BlackWarGreymon's data, if any.”
 
“If kari trusts him, I do. Besides, how else would he know her name?”
 
“A spy would know,” Henry muttered.
 
“Aw, come on now Henry, give the guy a chance. Momentai.” Terriermon spoke from Henry's shoulder.
 
Ciclemon loped up to Lucas. “He smells alright.”
 
“Alright, I'll give him a shot then. But that doesn't mean I trust him.”
 
“What's his problem? Why's he so mean about this?” Davis asked Henry as they walked.
 
“Crest of Truth remember? I'm guessing he either doesn't understand the concept of lying, or more likely, just doesn't care to. Even when talking about the guy. If he holds true, yep, see?” Henry pointed forward, where Agumon had been made to fall behind while Lucas had a chat with the BlackAgumon. The latter looked affronted, but after a couple minutes, they shook hand to claw, and Lucas dropped back, while Agumon moved forward to talk again.
 
“I told him I still wasn't convinced, he told me I was welcome to keep an eye on him as much as I liked, and keep him in site, but he swore he wasn't lying. I don't get that kind of look from a lying digimon, so I'm going to give him his chance.”
 
Henry looked at Davis. “Told ya.”
 
“Yeah yeah.”
 
“Hmm?”
 
“oh, nothing,” replied Henry as he clamped his hand over Terriermon's mouth.
 
After another hour or 3 of walking the decision was made to get some dinner and camp for the night. Leo and Blazermon, and Morgan and Raimon, went off hunting for food and water. Slicemon cut up some rocks to make a sort of pot, and Zach arranged it for cooking while Slicemon then proceeded to cut up some firewood.
 
With the exception of Masaru, there was an unspoken agreement to leave this to the 5, as they were being called, as they had lots of experience with this, and everyone else didn't have hardly any, plus they'd actually done something today, and the Dark area seemed to have the effect of draining most peoples energy faster than normal.
 
Masaru, with Lucas, had volunteered to patrol the “camp” because he was still pumped from the fight earlier, and he felt that, if something did attack, he'd at least be in the fighting spirit. Everyone else was dead tired.
 
The everyone sat in a random pattern about the cooking fire, more or less. Koji sat a little out of the circle, Renamon stayed by Rika, who was between Takato and Rika. Terriermon took his accustomed place in on Henry's shoulder, while Guilmon lay and stared at the empty stone cooking pot. Davis was next to Kari, with Ken and Yolie between himself and TK. Cody had sat down and started talking with Ikuto. Being the two youngest, they had made fast friends. Takuya sat next to Zach and made light banter. He also wasn't that tired, he said. Zach had figured it was because he was only here in spirit, and his real body was somewhere back in his world, so the Dark Area's usual effects couldn't really affect him as much. Souls are much harder to drain of energy than physical bodies, since they run off more of emotional energy, than food and water.
 
“So, how close are we to the Dark Ocean?” asked Ken.
 
“About another two hours and we'd be there.” Zach replied, looking over.
 
“What? Then why'd we stop?” asked Takato.
 
Davis, in a rare moment of genius, answered. “We're already dead tired, imagine walking two more hours. And that puts us right next to Dragomon. Do you want to get attacked in your sleep, when you're dead tired and can't fight? At least if we stop here, we're less likely to be attacked, and we can even make some preliminary plans if anyone is awake enough to do it.”
 
“Probably not that last part, Humans and Digimon both don't think well when they're tired and hungry. Let's get some food, then get some sleep, move out after that, and make our plans when we get there and get some recon.” Was Henry's partial counter. “But you've got the rest right.”
 
“Good point, guess I'm too tired to think. Or maybe too hungry,” he amended when his stomach growled at him.
 
“Hey guys, we got water and food. Stream back that way, mostly mushrooms Blazermon is sure aren't poisonous, and a couple of the medium good fish, stank fish.”
 
“Stank fish? Sounds gross.”
 
“They smell gross, till you took them, then they smell better than they taste, but they still taste ok. You don't stew these though.”
 
After Takuya started the fire, and helped catch all the smoke, so no one would see it, everyone gathered round to cook their fish, and then ate some mushroom soup, tangy, but palatable. The fish seemed to be the taste bud saver of the meal, all of them so far.
 
As everyone was settled in the trees for some sleep, Takato and Rika were sitting on the same large branch, legs hanging down. Rika rested her head on Takato's shoulder. Takato broke the silence. “so what was that warning about your left hook?”
 
“I socked Henry on the jaw cause I thought he didn't care if you got better. I realized later, after a talk with some of the girls, that he just looked at the situation a little more differently. His personal stake wasn't as big as mine.”
 
“Thanks for caring.” Takato put his hand on Rika's.
 
“Your welcome. Hey Takato, why did you and Jeri break up?” Rika shifted her head and looked up at him.
 
“She broke it off. I'm… not really sure why.”
 
“Do you still have feelings for her? And I want the truth.”
 
“The truth? Well, yeah, I do, but not like I have for you. You've always had this strong, independent spirit, you never seem to be afraid. I guess I just like that. Plus you have just gotten more beautiful since that first day you changed your shirt.”
 
She elbowed him, lightly. “since the day I changed my shirt? What about before then?”
 
“ umph. I kinda never really noticed before that. You were so much the tomboy I barely thought about the fact you were a girl most of the time.”
 
“oh really? How about now?”
 
“Now? You are the most beautiful person in what, 9 worlds?” she smiled at her. “You know, when I was out of it, I was having a ton of really bad dreams, and I hurt like hell in all of them. Then, out of nowhere, all the pain went away, and I was just dreaming of spending a day with you, looking at Sakura blooming in the park.”
 
“You are your dreams. The first time you ever saw me was in a dream.” She edged closer, her head back on his shoulder, her arms wrapped around him. He slid his arm over her shoulder. “But you know, I had almost the same dream as you. Both that first time, well, it wasn't really a dream, but I saw you, and just before, we were looking at Sakura blossoming in the park.”
 
“Dreams are weird things, huh?”
 
“Yep.” As the two of them got more comfortable, lying next to each other on the tree limb, she spoke again. “I think I know what made me fall for you Gogglehead.”
 
“What's that Rika?”
 
“You give me a feeling of safety and assurance no other guy has ever offered to me. A feeling even stronger than Renamon. Something I haven't really felt since my parents were divorced, and I stopped having my dad around. Thank you for that.” She drifted off, feeling absolutely safe and secure.
 
“Your welcome.” He kissed her forehead, then feel asleep himself.
 
Tina watched Henry and Terriermon above her, sighing to herself. He was really cute, and he seemed so smart and strong. He certainly didn't seem to be afraid of this whole thing. One of those guys with real resolve. She sighed again, drifting off to sleep as she wondered about Henry.
 
Despite the fact that several Dark servants came near, the Heroes of 8 worlds were perfectly safe, for all the Dark servants unconsciously avoided the place, for the feelings echoing through it, of courage, compassion, kindness, assuredness of success, a fighting spirit, a belief that they would do this, it would happen, they would succeed, feelings of love, were a ward composed of those very things most counter to the very core of a Dark Servant.