Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digimon Tamers: Emerald Knight ❯ Duel Between the Lanterns ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon or any of its characters. Green Lantern is owned by DC Comics.

DIGIMON TAMERS: EMERALD KNIGHT

PART 5

DUEL OF THE LANTERNS

BY HOWLING WOLF

Hal Jordan walked cautiously into the Matsuki bakery. It was here, the power battery was here. Now Hal had to decide what course of action to take. To use his remaining energy to take the power battery now would only gain him unwanted attention. No he would have to play this carefully. If a guardian had survived as he believed than it was possible that a power ring was here as well as a power battery.

"Excuse me sir, are going to buy anything?" a voice interrupted he's thoughts.

Hal turned to see a young boy of about seventeen standing next to him. The boy was dressed in blue jeans, a gray sweater, and a pair of goggles worn on his head. However it was the emerald ring that the boy was wearing that had caught Hal's attention.

"Ah sorry. I was just curious as to what smelled so good from outside." Hal said quickly.

Takato frowned as he watched the stranger quickly leave. He could have sworn that the stranger had looked familiar. He didn't dwell on it for very long. His parents had asked him to help with the cashier and the customers were beginning to grow.

Hal took one last look at the Matsuki bakery over his shoulder. `So there was a one ring left. Not that it matters. I will simply have to make sure that the boy's use of the ring is a short one.' Hal thought as he vanished into the crowd.

Rika grinned as she waited outside the Takato's bakery. She knew that the goggle head would probably be helping his parents out with this afternoon rush of customers. Now was the perfect time for her to do a little questioning with Guilmon. Making sure no on was watching her, Rika quietly snuck around the back of the bakery. If there was one thing Rika knew, it was that Guilmon was not the best of keeping secrets.

Guilmon looked up as he smelled someone familiar creep into the bakery's back entrance. To his surprise Guilmon saw that it was none other than Rika. Seeing that Rika was heading straight for him Guilmon began to panic. Being in the very back of the bakery meant that he would have to go through the kitchen and the customers to get away. Gulping Guilmon prepared himself as best he could for what was to come.

"All right Guilmon what is it that Takato is hiding?" Rika asked.

Guilmon looked at her for a moment. He had thought that Takato had said that Henry had told Rika about Takato's new ring and power. `I guess not. Well if Takatomon does not want Rika to know about it then I'd better think of something quick.'

If there is one thing that seems to be on Takato and Guilmon's side lately, its lady luck. Just as Rika began to pop her knuckles, her d-arc went off. Grunting in frustration Rika glared at Guilmon.

"Looks like you and goggle head got lucky again dino boy. But after we take of this wild one I am going to get some answers." With that Rika left.

Takato stuck his head into the back.

"Guilmon were you talking to someone?" he asked.

"Takatomon Rika was just here. Then she left to deal with a digimon." Said Guilmon.

"Great. Listen Guilmon watch the bakery for me. I'll go take care of the digimon." Takato said with a groan.

"Are you sure Takatomon?"

Takato nodded. "Yeah. Don't worry boy I've got my ring. What could go wrong?"

What indeed. Well Takato was about to find out that thing were going to go very wrong for him in just a few minutes.

Quickly switching to his uniform Takato took off in the air. Only to be grabbed from behind. It took Takato a moment to recognize who it was that was holding him. It was Parallax. Confused Takato was unprepared when Parallax threw him into his room. The crash vibrated through out the entire house. Takato let out a groan as he tried to sit up. Parallax paid no attention to Takato as he grabbed the power battery that was sitting on Takato's desk.

"I do not know why you have a ring and power battery but at the moment I don't care." Parallax said as he used the power battery to recharge himself.

A battering ram hit Parallax in the back, hard. The impact of the hit threw the power battery from Parallax's grasp. Parallax turned to see Takato leaning up against his bedroom wall. A look of determination was on his face.

"A brave attempt. However, I have already regained the power that I needed." Parallax said.

"I won't let you get away with whatever it is that you're planning." Said Takato.

"Let me get away? You really must be new to this superhero business. How do you hope to stop me? You might have a ring, but I have the experience." Parallax said.

Takato didn't answer as he leapt at Parallax his fist glowing brightly.

Rika frowned when she and Renamon reached the digital field. Henry was already there but where was Takato? Even those two idiots Kenta and Kazu had shown up.

"Hey Rika, you missed all the action. Where's chumly?" asked Kazu.

"Good question. I would have thought a digital field would get his attention." Said Rika.

"Perhaps he was unable to come?" suggested Renamon.

"It would have to be something pretty serious." Commented Kenta.

"Come on Renamon, we're going to pay the goggle head a little visit." Said Rika.

When Rika and Renamon reached the bakery they saw that a large crowd had gathered around it. Curious Rika asked the nearest person what was happening.

"It looks like two super heroes are battling it out on top of the bakery." The lady said.

Rika gasped. "Takato."

Pushing her way through the crowd, Rika made her way to the bakery's entrance. Once inside she saw that Takato's parents were both unconscious along with the remaining customers. A quick look in the kitchen told her that it was the same for Guilmon as well. After making sure they were alright Rika headed for the stairs. She paused briefly at Takato's room.

The room was a wreck. The bed had been completely destroyed along with most of the other furniture in the room. The outer most wall had a huge hole in its center. Rika frowned for a moment before heading for the roof.

"Stupid goggle head. I knew he was going to get into trouble with out me." Rika mutters as she climbed the stairs.

Bursting through the roof's door Rika could not help but gasp at what awaited her. There before her was Takato creating various digimon to attack a complete stranger. What was even weirder was that the stranger was creating constructions to battle Takato's.

`This is nuts,' thought Takato as he created a shield in front of him. Takato could not believe what was happening to him. One minute he had been ready to go and help the others with a wild digimon, the next he was getting tossed around by none other than Parallax.

It had taken Takato a moment to recover before he was able to react. It was in that time that Parallax had been able to recharge himself.

Realizing that he was going to have to stop Parallax, Takato leapt up at the older man. Parallax had smirked at this creating a wave of knock out gas. His smirk soon turned to a frown when he saw that Takato was still standing. Takato took the advantage and crash Parallax through the wall. The two quickly settled on the bakery's roof.

Parallax had to admit the boy's control over his ring was impressive. The creatures that Takato was creating were well detailed. `Very well detailed and controlled. At another time he would have made a fine addition to the Corps.' Mused Parallax.

"Takato!"

Rika's timing could not have been worse. Parallax took advantage of Takato's momentary distraction and slammed him into Rika. Before either could react Parallax encased them inside a force bubble and slowly began to squeeze it.

"Renamon walk all over him." Rika said.

Parallax watched amused as Renamon launched her diamond storm attack at him. He deflected the attack easily. Renamon was shocked. She had never encountered an opponent like this before. A large hand grabbed Renamon. And began to mercilessly beat her into the ground. When it was all over Renamon was left unconscious with a set of manticles and chains now imprisoning her. Parallax turned back to Rika and Takato.

"Now then I am impressed with your use the ring. Usually it takes a Green Lantern years of usage and training to do what you did. But I am afraid that I can not allow you to keep your ring." Said Parallax.

"What do you mean?" asked Takato.

"With your ring I would have the extra power I would need to ensure my goals are achieved." Parallax said.

"No way." Refused Takato.

"I am not allowing you the luxury of choice, boy. Either you hand over your ring to me or I will simply take it from your dead fingers. Along with your lovely companion." Parallax said.

Rika shivered. Who ever this guy was he was obviously insane. She took a look at Takato and was surprised to see a look of anger on his face. The same anger that had created Megidramon. `Oh no!'

"Don't you dare threaten Rika!" Takato snarled.

Takato aimed his ring in the center of the force bubble and concentrated. A power blast fired directly into the bubble's wall causing it to expand. Parallax covered his eyes as his force bubble exploded in brilliant flash. Taking his hand away from his face Parallax saw that both Takato and Rika were unconscious. He smirked. Truly the boy was quite talented. He managed to escape the bubble and protect himself and the girl from the explosion.

Parallax walked over to Takato and bent down by Takato's out stretched hand. Picking up Takato's ring Parallax smiled.

"Now nothing can stop me." He said.

A sudden punch threw Parallax several feet away. Wiping the blood from his mouth Parallax frowned. There standing before him was the Justice League.

"I'm sorry Hal but its over." Said Superman.

TO BE CONTINUED…

Howling Wolf: Oh man this story of mine is really heating up. Join us next time when Parallax totally wipes the floor with the Justice League. And the only hope to stop him is an injured Takato.