Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digiquest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero ❯ Nightime Meanderings ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Digiquest for Glory: So you want to be a hero

Chapter 5

By Time Lady

---------------------------------

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon or Quest for Glory.

---------------------------------

Ken felt the point of the dagger in his back. Swallowing hard, he wondered if he would be able to reach his own dagger before the person behind him could thrust the dagger into him. "Give your purse to Sneak and no one gets hurt," growled the figure.

Sneak? Ken's mind raced. Quickly he made the thieves' sign. "You mean all we managed to get was another thief?" said the other thief. "It's getting so a thief can't make a living any more." Ken didn't dare relax. "The password of the month is 'schwertfisch'. Tell Ogremon in the tavern. He'll let you into the guild. Now get out of here before we change our minds."

Ken didn't need to be told twice. He slipped out of the alley into the Aces and Eights Tavern.

---

The dark fur of the creature blended with the darkness. The Cheetauromon was taller than any of them. It resembled a Kentauromon to a degree, but with a feline lower body, fur covered human torso, and snarling feline face. The claws on its paws showed that was ready for business.

"Get back!" Yamato warned the others. Daisuke, however, already had his sword in his hand. The Cheetauromon lashed out. Daisuke blocked the claws with his blade. Takeru didn't bother getting his dagger out. Quickly he began gesturing.

"HEY WATCH IT!" exclaimed Daisuke as the flame dart narrowly missed his arm.

The ball of fire did manage to strike the creature in the chest. It snarled in pain and reared onto its hind legs. Yamato charged forward and met the Cheetauromon with his sword as it came down. The Cheetauromon flailed its arms. Daisuke pulled Yamato out of the way as Takeru cast flame dart two more times. The Cheetauromon let loose a final scream of agony, then collapsed to the ground. Daisuke dealt the creature a final, killing stroke.

"I hope we don't run into too many more of those," said Yamato as he extricated his sword from the Cheetauromon's body. "Takeru, why in the world are you suddenly giving the Cheetauromon a manicure?"

Takeru had his dagger out and was removing the Cheetauromon's claws. "The Healer pays five silvers per claw," returned Takeru.

"Hey, that's better than the Goblinmon," said Daisuke.

"I think I've had enough Cheetauromon for tonight," said Yamato. "Let's see if we can find that Hikari's Peace."

---

The Aces and Eights Tavern definitely didn't cater to the higher class patrons. A man sat on stool, his head down on the bar. He was apparently very drunk. A human and a Deramon sat at a table playing cards. A rather mean looking Ogremon sat on a wooden chair, glaring at anyone who came near. Under the Ogremon's chair appeared to be a trap door. And right next to the Ogremon's had was a nasty looking spiked club. Three giant kegs dominated one of the walls. A dragonomon's head hung over the center keg.

Acting casual, Ken sauntered up to the bar and sat down. The Gorimon behind the bar gave Ken the once over before approaching. "What'll ya have?" it snarled.

"What do you have?"

"We got local brewed ale, Shamanmon Sweat, and the house specialty, Dragonomon Breath."

Considering he had plans for tonight, and how unappetizing the latter two drinks sounded, Ken stuck with the ale. The Gorimon shrugged, pulled the tap for the ale over a large mug, then slid the mug down to Ken.

As he drank his ale, Ken kept his eyes and ears open. Not much was going on. Few customers entered the tavern. The gamblers appeared to be playing Go-fish with an Old Maid deck. Ken finished the last of his ale and set the mug down. He noticed a crumpled paper on the floor. With a quick glance around, he picked it up and read it.

"G: He's starting to get suspicious of us. Hold off on meeting for a while. Keep posted by these notes. I."

Unobtrusively, Ken recrumpled the note and left it where it was. He made a mental note to return and check for other notes. "Well, time to get this over with," he thought to himself.

The Ogremon reached for its club as Ken approached. "Whadda you want?" it snarled, waving the club menacingly. Ken didn't flinch as he quickly made the thieves' signal. "Oh yeah? What's da password?" returned Ogremon.

"Schwertfisch," said Ken calmly, though his heart was pounding.

The way Ogremon jumped to his feet, Ken was afraid he said the wrong password and was about to get pounded. Instead, Ogremon yanked open the trap door under where his chair had been.

---

Takeru cast detect magic again. Yamato could see the strain the repeated spell casting was having on his brother. Finally it reached the point where Takeru couldn't cast another spell. "I've used up all my mana," he said wearily.

"Mana?" asked Yamato.

"Mana is the energy within that a magic user draws upon," explained Takeru. "According to Sorcerymon, the stronger and more experienced the mage, the more spells he or she can cast without tiring. Some people have no mana. Some people have small amounts, but not enough to be able to draw upon to cast any sort of spell."

"Aluramon said she had some potions that could restore mana," said Daisuke. "Didn't you buy any?"

"I spent my money on the spell scrolls," returned Takeru.

"You did say the magic you sensed was north. Let's keep following the trail," suggested Yamato. Takeru nodded.

The three adventurers continued northwards until they reached the side of a cliff. "What now?" asked Yamato.

"You haven't cast any spells for a while," said Daisuke. "See if maybe you can try that spell again."

Silently Takeru nodded. Concentrating, he again cast the detect magic spell. "It's very close," he said. "A bit to the east, but still to the north."

They followed the side of the cliff east until it ended, then resumed their journey north. "I smell flowers," said Daisuke.

"We must be close," said Yamato. The group now followed the scent of the flowers. It led them to a small section of valley. Their eyes opened wide. A large tree sparkled in the moonlight with almost iridescent fruit. Though there was snow on the rocks, a warm breeze blew and flowers carpeted the ground. A carved stone resided in one corner. The whole atmosphere radiated peace.

"This has to be it," said Takeru. He didn't even need to cast detect magic to feel the magic present. Daisuke strode up to the tree and picked a piece of luscious fruit.

"Oh man," he said after taking a bite. "I have never tasted any fruit like this." Yamato and Takeru also picked a piece of the fruit off the tree. Strangely enough, by the time they finished the single piece of fruit each, their hunger had been completely satisfied.

"We're not going to be bothered here," said Takeru.

"Then we might as well get some sleep," said Yamato as he slipped off his pack and spread his cloak on the ground.

---

Ken climbed down the long ladder into a room beneath the tavern. A heavyset man in a cream colored jerkin with a brown cloak. "Fresh meat Chief," announced Ogremon as he shoved Ken forward.

The Chief studied Ken for a long moment, then winced. "Amateurs. Why do they always send me amateurs!" He stood and began pacing. "A thief of my stature stuck as chief thief in some podunk town surrounded by inexperienced thieves and non-union brigands!" He threw himself back into his chair. "OK kid, here's the deal. You want to work in this town, you have to join the union. Pay Boris over at the door."

"Um. . ."

"Look kid, I don't talk to non union people. You want to talk, join the union."

"Looks like I don't have much of a choice," thought Ken as he walked over to a door. The upper half of the door was made from metal bars, with a slot below. The bottom of the door was iron. Ken felt Ogremon's eyes on him as he pulled the bell. A hooded man stepped forward.

"Whadda ya want?" asked the man.

"I'd like to join the union," returned Ken.

"25 silvers."

"What does joining the union get me?" asked Ken.

"It means we don't report you to the sheriff. It also gets you valuable services, such as fencing appropriated merchandise and, in the event of your untimely demise, we pay for flowers on your grave," returned Boris.

"Well, can't argue with that." Ken dug into his coin pouch and pulled out 25 silvers. He slid them into the slot. Boris returned a small card.

"Welcome to the Thieves' Guild local 1313," said Boris. "You're now a member of the union."

Ken spent most of the evening in the guild, talking to the Chief and Boris and losing badly at the dagger board. By the time he left, it was well after midnight and he barely had enough money to pay for room and a meal. He contemplated making a few "house calls," but thought otherwise. He was tired, and a tired thief was a clumsy thief. Instead he returned to the Hero's Tale Inn and collapsed in his room.

---

She was dancing as she cast her spell, her soft pink gown floating around her. Fairy-like, yet not quite a fairy. Graceful, beautiful and magical. From a distance he watched as she cast a spell around the town. Something gently tugged his sleeve, then shook his arm.

"Takeru, time to get up," he heard someone say. The beautiful woman began to fade away.

"Come on already," said someone as they shook him violently.

Takeru slowly opened his eyes. Yamato and Daisuke were staring down at him. "What a dream," muttered Takeru as he sat up.

"It must have been," said Yamato, tossing Takeru a piece of fruit. "We've been trying to wake you for 15 minutes. I was starting to get worried."

"What were you dreaming about?" asked Daisuke as he bit into a fruit.

"I don't know. I think it may have been the mage Hikari. All I know was I saw this woman. She was beautiful, but I don't think she was totally human," explained Takeru. "She was casting a spell around the town, and dancing while she cast."

"You must have overdone it with the spell casting yesterday," said Yamato.

"Maybe you should try and talk to Wizardmon, if we can find him," suggested Daisuke. "But first let's go back to town and check on Ken."

"Yeah." Takeru stood and took a better look around in the sunlight. He noticed that the large boulder next to him had some words carved into it. "Well, this is definitely Hikari's Peace."

"There's something else written on the rock," said Daisuke. "If magic be thy will, open this stone and accept the gift within." He studied the boulder. "There's no way to open this rock."

"The key is in the phrase. `If magic be thy will.' I learned a spell called `open.'" Takeru cast the open spell. The top of the rock slid upwards, revealing a secret compartment within. From inside, Takeru withdrew a scroll and opened it. As soon as he read it, the scroll crumbled to dust.

"Was it anything useful?" asked Yamato.

"I hope so. That was the calm spell."

Despite Takeru's new spell, the trio had to fight their way past half a dozen brigands, a dozen Goblimon, and a couple of Saurusmon. By the time they reached town, it was almost noon. After a brief stop by Aluramon to restock their supply of potions (this time Takeru also bought mana potions) they returned to the Hero's Tale Inn.

Yawning, Ken walked out of the room. "Where have you guys been?" he asked. "I would have thought you would have camped out by the gate and been in as soon as it was opened."

"There _is_ a reason the gate is closed at night," returned Takeru dryly.

"Don't mind him. He was having dreams all night in Hikari's Peace," returned Daisuke. "He's a bit grumpy."

"Do _not_ insult a wizard, even a wizard-in-training," whispered Yamato as he caught his brother's expression. "It's still early enough," he said aloud. "Why don't we see if we can find the way to Wizardmon's castle?"

Intrigued by the prospect of visiting Wizardmon, Takeru forgot his irritation with Daisuke. Ken didn't seem thrilled with the idea of traipsing around the surrounding countryside all day. But as a thief, there wasn't much he could do in the daytime except a little pickpocketing, and few people were randomly about the town. Instead, he followed the others to the guild.

Gennai was dozing in his chair. He had apparently fallen asleep polishing a sword again. The guildmaster awoke when they approached. He was more than happy to give them directions to Mount Zauderberg. . . and to tell them a dozen other little things. They spent a half hour longer at the guild than they planned.

When they finally managed to set out, it was just past noon. Along the way they encountered the usual Goblinmon, brigands and Saurusmon. Ken was amazed at how much more easily Yamato and Daisuke were dispatching their attackers. Even Takeru seemed to becoming more proficient with his flame dart spell and his dagger. Ken found himself trying to avoid blades and claws more often than attacking. A couple of times he managed to scoop up some rocks and throw them at his attacker, which had some effect. Mentally he resolved to purchase some throwing daggers.

After following Gennai's directions, the party found themselves at the foot of a mountain. A winding path led up the side. At the top loomed an enormous purple castle. As they approached the entrance to the path, a strange sign appeared out of nowhere. "Welcome to Mount Magic." Takeru tried to cast a detect magic spell, but there was no response. As they moved forward, another sign appeared. "Now go home."

"I know when to take a hint," said Daisuke. He turned and began to walk away, but Yamato caught him by the arm.

"This is probably just to keep the brigands away," said Takeru.

"Are you sure it's not for everyone to keep away?" returned Ken. He didn't particularly relish the idea of entering a wizard's castle. If it was anything like the magic shop, everything would have spell protection.

"Come on," said Takeru. He was soon climbing the rocky path.

"Let's go," said Yamato. Reluctantly, Daisuke and Ken followed.

---

"Are we there yet?" complained Daisuke as they neared the top. "My feet are killing me. I have rocks in my shoes."

"At least we didn't have to fight anything," muttered Ken.

The party of adventurers turned the bend and stopped. Before them was the magnificent castle they had seen from a distance. Interestingly enough, the castle was purple. Everything about it was purple. The doors, the windows, the turrets. . . everything except the large statue sitting atop the door way. It appeared to be made out of white marble, with long, carved wings and deadly looking claws. "Nice Gargomon statue," said Takeru. As they approached the door, the statue moved.

"That's not a statue," warned Daisuke, his hand going to his sword.

The Gargomon's eyes opened slowly. It looked at the party grumpily, as if they had woken him from a nap. "Those who would pass by me must first answer questions three," it yawned.

"All right," said Takeru, stepping forward.

"The first question: What are your names?" asked the Gargomon.

The group appeared taken aback at the simple question. "I am Takeru. This is my brother Yamato and my friends Ken and Daisuke."

The Gargomon paused a moment. "What is your quest?"

"We want to be heroes!" exclaimed Daisuke boldly. Takeru winced at Daisuke's abrupt answer. He prayed that Daisuke was right, otherwise they might have to face the Gargomon.

"Third question." The group breathed a sigh of relief. "What is the answer to the question of life, the universe, and everything?"

Stunned, the group stared at each other silently.

<to be continued>

Author's notes: Yes, I'm feeling a tad evil, to leave you guys on another cliffhanger.