Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digiquest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero ❯ We're Off to See the Wizardmon... ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Digiquest for Glory: So you want to be a hero

Chapter 6

By Time Lady

--------------------------------------------------------------

T akeru's heart pounded. The question seemed vaguely familiar, as if he'd read it somewhere before. "42," he answered in a loud, clear voice.

Yamato, Ken, and Daisuke froze. The answer was ludicrous... impossible... there was no way...

"So, you put some Deep Thought into the question, eh? You may pass," said Gargomon. "Wizardmon will see you now. Do not tarry."

The adventurers didn't have to be told twice. They made haste through the door into a long corridor. The door swung closed behind them. "Come on," said Takeru.

"How did you know the answer?" asked Daisuke as they strode down the corridor. "I mean, that question was impossible."

"I think it was in one of the books I read on the way to Spielburg."

The corridor emptied out into a large gallery. Everything was purple. Well, nearly everything. A bedraggled stuffed peacock sat on one of the tables. When Ken moved near it, the peacock's tail spread into a faded, but still multicolored display. Next to it, a model of a dragonomon leaned forward towards a bowl, its muzzle touched the water in the bowl, and then it stood upright. Then it leaned forward and repeated the same actions over and over and over again.

On top of a bookshelf, Yamato studied what appeared to be a stuffed Chuumon wearing a wizard's cap. "Weird," he muttered, then he looked at a Dragonomon head hanging over a doorway. Even the stuffed head was purple.

Takeru looked up at a life-sized portrait on the wall. The portrait of Wizardmon was incredibly life-like. He stepped towards a door under the Dragonomon. "I wouldn't do that if I were you," said the head as Takeru touched the doorknob. Takeru and Yamato blinked in surprise.

"Isn't that..." began Yamato.

Quickly Takeru cast detect magic. "It's enchanted," he replied. "So is just about everything else around here." He turned to the staircase. "The only way to go is up."

"Right. Let's go." Yamato turned and found Daisuke and Ken mesmerized by the Dunkin' Dragonomon. "Come on you two." He tapped their shoulders.

"Gah!" Daisuke jumped back.

"Don't _do_ that," said Ken.

"Let's go," said Takeru as he mounted the stairs. As Ken and Daisuke followed Takeru and Yamato up the staircase, they didn't see the Chuumon sitting on the shelf disappear, shortly followed by the Wizardmon in the portrait.

The purple staircase spiraled upwards. "How long have we been climbing?" asked Daisuke a while later.

"I don't know," returned Yamato.

"This is about as bad as the climb up the mountain," grumbled Ken.

Takeru tried not to roll his eyes as he continued to climb the stairs. "It looks like there's a doorway ahead," he announced.

"Finally," said Yamato.

The doorway led into a large, spacious sitting room. Wizardmon sat at a table, sipping from a cup of tea. "Chuumon, we have guests," announced Wizardmon.

A Chuumon wearing a hat like the one downstairs appeared on another table. "Cheese, please," he said. A piece of cheese floated off Wizardmon's table to Chuumon.

"Welcome," said Wizardmon. "Haven't had too many visitors lately. I am Wizardmon. This is my familiar, Chuumon." The four adventurers introduced themselves. Wizardmon gestured for the four to be seated, then fixed his gaze on Takeru. "You are a magic user?"

Takeru saw no reason to hide it. Wizardmon would be able to sense his power. "Yes."

"Oh good. Do you know the spell Open?"

"Yes."

"Fetch?"

"Certainly."

"Can you cast Flame Dart?"

"Of course."

"Good, good." The adventurers were a bit surprised at Wizardmon's interest in Takeru's spells. "By any chance, you wouldn't know the Trigger spell, would you?"

"Yes."

"Splendid! Would you like to play a game of Mage's Maze? It gets rather boring playing with Chuumon."

"That's because you always lose."

"Ahem. As I was asking, Takeru, would you like to play Mage's Maze? If you win, I'll teach you the Dazzle spell."

Takeru's eyes widened at the prospect. Yamato nudged him, then gave him a warning glance. "Perhaps another time sir. We have several errands to take care of today."

"Oh, all right then. Perhaps the next time you visit. It's good practice for building magical skills." Wizardmon sounded disappointed. "Say, do you know what you get when a Tyrannomon running 25 miles per hour eastward meets another Tyrannomon running 15 miles per hour westward?"

Ken and Daisuke stared at each other blankly. "Umm. . . no," said Daisuke.

"You get Tyrannomon wrecks!" returned Wizardmon with a chuckle. Chuumon groaned while the adventurers looked at Wizardmon in surprise.

"That one certainly laid an egg," snorted Chuumon.

"So, what brings you strapping lads to Spielburg?" Wizardmon asked.

"We're going to try to put an end to the brigands!" exclaimed Daisuke enthusiastically.

"I see." Wizardmon took a sip of tea. "I've heard there was a wizard working with them. From what I can tell, he's more of a nincompoop than a necromancer. All anyone's ever really seen him cast is sneezing powder. Now Babamon Yaga, _she's_ a magic user. But she cheats at cards."

"So do you," snorted Chuumon.

"She started it," returned Wizardmon.

"We've heard that Babamon Yaga has cursed the Baron of Spielburg," said Ken.

"Babamon Yaga is an expert at creative cursing and shape changing spells. She has a nasty temper and doesn't believe in 'safe hex.' Be sure to stay on her good side," advised Wizardmon. "The curse she cast on the baron is a fine example. 'Upon von Spielburg and all his clan, this curse I now demand: What I will shall come full measure so ye shall lose all that ye treasure.' However, for each curse, there is an equal and opposite counter curse."

"What is a counter curse?" asked Daisuke.

"The exact opposite of the curse. In other words, the way the curse is broken. Usually the counter curse works against the one who cast the curse in the first place. The counter curse to the Baron's goes 'Come four heroes from the east, free the man from in the beast, bring the child from out the band, drive the cursor from the land.' So to fully break the curse, the heroes must force Babamon Yaga out of Spielburg. That doesn't reflect well on the old hag."

"Nothing would reflect well on her except a magic mirror," interjected Chuumon. "It's the only thing her face wouldn't break."

"By the way," said Wizardmon, "did you hear the joke about the witch's broom?"

"Errr. . . no," said Yamato.

"That's funny. It's sweeping the countryside."

The adventurers groaned. "Let's brush that one aside, shall we?" said Chuumon.

Takeru kept glancing towards a curtain on one of the walls. "Are you sure I can't tempt you into a game of Mage's Maze?" Wizardmon asked the young mage.

Ken and Yamato glanced at each other. Ken nodded. "We've taken up enough of your time," said Yamato. "We need to get back to town before the sun sets." As he stood, he firmly gripped Takeru's arm.

"Not in my house, you don't." Wizardmon gestured.

The next thing any of them knew, they were standing at the foot of the path to Wizardmon's castle. "Hey cool!" exclaimed Daisuke. "We didn't have to hike back down the mountain!"

"Let's head back to town," said Yamato. "I'm exhausted and I don't quite feel like sleeping on the ground tonight."

The four adventurers made their way back to town. Takeru hiked in a sullen silence. The others didn't say anything. They knew Takeru was upset at being made to leave without playing Mage's Maze. What they didn't know was that Takeru's mind still brimmed with questions for the more experienced Wizardmon.

By the time they made it back to the town, they had fought four brigands, a dozen Goblimon, and a Saurusmon. The sun was just beginning to set over the mountains. Starmon and Deputymon had left for dinner. An inviting smell came from the direction of the Hero's Tale Inn.

"Mmm," said Daisuke. "Shema must really be cooking up something good tonight."

"Don't you think of anything other than your stomach?" joked Yamato.

"When my stomach's full, I can deal with anything," returned Daisuke.

Ken studied the darkening sky, then glanced up and down the street. No one was about. As soon as the sun was fully set, he would have to find a way to sneak out of the inn. His train of thought was interrupted as Daisuke grabbed his arm and dragged him into the inn.

Abdulla sat at one of the tables. The man perked up when he saw the young adventurers. "Ah, my young friends! Have you made any progress?"

"We've learned a few things about the whole situation," said Yamato as he sat down at the table. "We still need to find out the location of the brigands' hiding place."

"You seem to be making more progress than the sheriff," returned Abdulla.

Shema briefly interrupted the group with platters of curried lamb and couscous. Ken appeared distracted. Takeru remained silent. Yamato thought of trying to talk with his brother, but thought better of it. When Takeru was in a mood like this, he was better off left alone.

After dinner, the tired adventurers retired to their room. Daisuke and Yamato were asleep the instant their heads hit the pillow. Takeru lay in his bed trying to fall asleep and failing. He was the only one who saw Ken silently slip out of their room. Briefly he considered following Ken. However, he knew exactly how Ken felt. Ken was a thief, and had been since Takeru had first met him. Being with the group the entire time probably made Ken feel stifled. The same way Takeru felt. Yawning, Takeru rolled over and tried to go to sleep.

Silently Ken crept out of their bedroom. He glanced around the common room of the inn. "No, that would be too easy, and too easily discovered," he thought. His ears strained for every little sound as he lifted the latch and slipped out of the inn, into the darkness of the night.

-to be continued