Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Digiquest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero ❯ On Their Own ( Chapter 7 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Digiquest for Glory: So you want to be a hero

Chapter 7

By Time Lady

---------------------------------

Disclaimer: I do not own Digimon or Quest for Glory.

---------------------------------

Ken inhaled deeply. The brisk night air revived him. Spielburg was a small enough town where the only lanterns on at night were at the front gate near the sheriff's office. Instead, Ken turned down the street in the opposite direction. Stealthily he crept down the street, keeping to the shadows. Eventually he reached the guild.

"Now, here's where I start to test my skills," he said to himself as he pulled his lock pick out of his pocket. After spending a good few minutes trying to pick the lock to the guild door, he realized it had been barred from the inside. "Nothing short of that spell Takeru learned would open this door." Instead he turned his attention to the cottage beside the guild. After a few minutes, Ken gave up on that door as well. "Damn," he thought. "I'm going to need a hell of a lot more practice."

Cautiously Ken crept towards the Aces and Eights Tavern. There was a closed building next door. Perfect for some lock picking practice. After an hour of practicing at the various locked businesses at that end of town, he slunk back towards the cottage.

This time, after a few tries, the lock opened. Ken resisted a jubilant shout as he tip-toed into the living room. Then he froze. A rather uptight Salamon stood before him, hissing. Quickly Ken pulled out one of his rations and gave the Salamon the dried meat. The Salamon pounced upon the food. Taking advantage of the Salamon's distraction, Ken began a preliminary sweep of the room. He ran his fingers under the sofa cushions and fished out a few coins. A pair of silver candlesticks made their way into Ken's backpack. The old lady's purse provided a few more coins. Then, jackpot! From inside one of the dresser drawers, Ken pulled out an elegant string of pearls.

Ken glanced at the window. "I better go if I want to fence these things and catch an hour's sleep." He slipped past the satisfied Salamon. Once outside, he gently closed the door and crept towards the Aces and Eights Tavern.

Ogremon was as pleasant as ever when letting Ken into the Thieve's Guild. Morosely the Chief threw daggers at the target. "Small haul," commented Boris as Ken showed him the candlesticks and pearls.

"I did pick up a bit more in gold and silver," returned Ken. "I also had a late start this evening. Need to make it back to the inn before the others are up."

"Thieves brought in a bit more before the brigands started blockading. The townspeople just don't have the luxury items they used to. Here you go," said Boris, sliding several gold coins under the bars of the protective grate on his door.

"Thanks," said Ken. He would have liked to have tried his hand at the dagger board against the chief, but decided his newly earned coins would be better spent on throwing daggers.

"You done?" snarled Ogremon.

"Yeah." Ken followed Ogremon up the ladder. The ferocious appearing Digimon replaced his chair on the trap door.

The first glow of dawn started to light the streets of Spielburg as Ken slipped back into the inn and the room. Stifling a yawn, Ken kicked off his boots, pulled off his cloak, and crawled under the covers.

Takeru had been sleeping less than soundly. Most of the night had been spent concentrating on the various spells he had learned since his arrival and listening to Daisuke's snores. The young magic user wanted to learn more. At the sound of a boot dropping, Takeru opened his eyes. Ken had returned from whatever he had been doing that night. Rolling over, Takeru stared at his brother. Yamato meant well. He had taken care of the younger one since their parents had died. But there comes a time when a person needs to care for themselves. He rolled back onto his back and glanced out the window. The sun was beginning to rise over the tree-tops.

Coming to a decision of his own, Takeru slid out of bed and donned his boots and clothing. Quietly he slipped out of the room. Shameen walked out of another doorway at the same time. "Greetings," said the Kattamon innkeeper. "I did not expect that anyone would be up this early. Shema has not yet begun breakfast."

"That's okay. I'm not hungry. But could you do me a favor?" Takeru asked.

"I will endeavor to do my best," returned Shameen with a bow.

---

The sun was high over the trees, lighting the entire room. Yamato yawned and stretched. Daisuke sprawled on his bed, snoring at full volume. Ken's head was buried under his pillow as if to block out both the light and the sound. Glancing at Takeru's bed, Yamato saw it was empty.

"All right. . . maybe he went to get something to eat," thought Yamato as he dressed and walked into the common room. It was empty, save Shameen. "Maybe he went to the magic shop. . ."

"Sir," said Shameen as he stood, "Your brother asked me to give you this note."

"Thank you." Yamato unfolded the piece of parchment.

"Yamato,

There are so many things I need to do on my own, as do you. You need to practice your swordsmanship, I need to practice my spellcasting. I've gone to talk to Wizardmon by myself, so I won't bore you, Daisuke, or Ken. I am sure there are things that you would rather be doing without me there, or that I would rather not be there while you are doing them. I will meet you back in town around just after midday.

Takeru"

Yamato crumpled the parchment in his hand and stormed back to the room, slamming the door behind him. "Keep it down, will you? It's too early," muttered Ken as he buried his head further under the pillow.

"Get up," stated Yamato flatly. He shook Daisuke's arm.

"Jus' five more minutes Ma," yawned Daisuke.

"GET UP!" repeated Yamato. "We need to go after Takeru."

"I'm up, I'm up," returned Daisuke as he sat up and stretched. "What gives?"

"Takeru's gone to Wizardmon's by himself." Yamato read them the note Takeru had left. "We need to go after him!"

"Lighten up," said Ken as he pulled his head out from under the pillow.

"Yeah," agreed Daisuke.

"You know, Takeru, Daisuke, and I are the same age," Ken continued. "But you still treat him like he's only seven. It's time to give him some space."

"We've got enough to do," said Daisuke as he reached for his jerkin. "I don't particularly want to spend a whole day hiking up the mountain again. Uhhhh. . . Ken, you went to sleep dressed?"

"I was cold," returned Ken tersely. He buried his head under the pillow again.

"Let's go," said Yamato. "With the Goblimon, Cheetauromon, and who knows what else around, Takeru isn't safe on his own."

"Takeru can take care of himself," said Daisuke as he pulled on his leggings. "I nearly got singed by one of those fireballs he throws now. Besides, if he wanted you to come with him, he would have said to meet him at Wizardmon's castle. But he said to meet him here at midday. I'm not going after him, and if I were you, I wouldn't either."

"I'll go by myself then."

"Didn't you hear me?" stated Daisuke. "Takeru doesn't want us to follow him. Give him a little space. If he's not back at the inn by midday, we'll go looking for him. You're the one who said don't anger a mage, even an apprentice. He seemed pretty upset last night. Even if it was about not playing a dumb magic game. For him, playing something like that is like us going to the Goblimon training area and fighting. If you want him to become a powerful wizard you're going to have to stop standing over him." Yamato didn't reply. Ken remained with his head buried under the pillow. "In the meantime I think we need to see what we can find out at the baron's castle," Daisuke concluded.

"All right. I'll give him until sundown. If he's not back in town by then, he'll hear it from me."

---

Using his dagger, Takeru removed the claws from the dead Cheetauromon. The creature's fur smoldered still from the flame darts. A few were out and about in the early hours of morning. He guessed they were either returning to their dens or had a poor night of hunting. It didn't matter. Takeru needed the practice _and_ the money the claws would bring him. Once the claws were safely stowed in his pack, he continued towards Mount Zauderberg.

---

Reluctantly Yamato followed Daisuke out of the inn. "'Scuse me boys," called Starmon, "but you didn't hear or see any funny business last night, did you?"

"No sir," returned Yamato. "We made it in town before sundown and didn't leave the inn."

"The old lady over near the guild says someone broke into her cottage last night," explained the sheriff. "Woke up, found her door unlocked, some items missing, and money gone from her purse."

A strange feeling of dread comes over Daisuke. Before he could say anything, Yamato replied: "Perhaps one of the brigands climbed over the town walls, or hid somewhere in town over night."

"Maybe. Where are your other two friends," asked the sheriff.

"My brother went to see Wizardmon early this morning," returned Yamato. "Shameen said he left as soon as you opened the gates. Ken is sleeping in. I think he must have had a bit too much ale with dinner. He was rather sick this morning. Come on Daisuke. You wanted to go to the baron's castle."

"Umm, yeah, but. . ."

"We'll let you know if we hear anything," said Yamato, taking Daisuke's arm firmly and guiding him out the town gates.

"What was that for?" complained Daisuke when they were far enough from the town gates.

"You and I both know who it must have been. However, we have no proof he's responsible."

"Oh man, I hope he doesn't get himself into trouble."

"Me too. Now, if I remember correctly, the road to the Baron's castle was just past Aluramon's cottage."

---

"Why did Wizardmon have to build his castle up so far?" thought Takeru as he reached the front gate.

"Oh, it's you again," growled the Gargomon. "Ready for your questions?"

"Does it matter if I say no?"

"You want to see Wizardmon?"

Takeru sighed. "All right, go ahead."

"One, what is your name?"

"Takeru."

"Two, what is your quest?"

"To become a hero and a wizard."

"Three, what is Wizardmon's favorite color."

"Purple." As if it wasn't obvious from the castle and its décor.

"Hey, your eyes _do_ work. Go right to the tower. Do not dally."

This time Takeru knew exactly where to go and wasted no time. "Welcome my young friend," said Wizardmon as Takeru entered the tower room. "Where are your friends?"

"They were still asleep when I left the inn."

"I see. Well then, perhaps I could interest you in a few games of Mage's Maze."

"I thought you'd never ask."

---

They stood before an impressive gate. A Clockmon marched the watch over the portcullis. He stopped when he saw the two standing at the gate. "Good morning," called Daisuke.

"Good morning youngster," returned the Clockmon.

"Is this the Baron's castle?"

"Aye."

"Is it possible we could see the Baron," asked Yamato.

"Sorry, but the Baron sees no one. Not since his son and daughter were taken from him."

"What exactly happened?"

"A few years ago, Babamon Yaga came to Spielburg and started trouble in the cemetery. The baron sent a squadron of men to force her to leave. Only their captain returned. In a strange, eerie voice he said 'Upon von Spielburg and all his clan, this curse I now demand: What I will shall come full measure so ye shall lose all that ye treasure.' Then the captain's body dissolved into a black puddle."

"Oh man," said Daisuke.

"They say the skulls of the rest of the squadron are on poles surrounding Babamon Yaga's hut," continued Clockmon. "A few months after, some sort of strange winged creature swooped over the castle grounds and grabbed the Baron's daughter. That was nearly five years ago. A couple of years ago, the Baronet went out riding. His horse returned, covered with claw marks, but no sign of the Baronet was ever found."

"Babamon Yaga's curse?" asked Yamato.

"Of course. Since then, the Baron has practically shut himself away inside the castle."

"Oh well," said Daisuke.

"If you're interested in earning some extra money, the stablemaster could use some strong young men to help clean out the stables," offered Clockmon. "It doesn't pay much, but it's honest work and it's good for building muscles."

"I don't know. . ." began Yamato.

"Hey, sure, why not?" said Daisuke. "We could use more money for potions."

"Right. Let me raise the gate." Clockmon stepped to the side and pulled a lever. As soon as the gate opened, Yamato found himself dragged inside by Daisuke.

Before they could find the stables, they encountered a man in a finely cut uniform. He drew his rapier and began to shadow-fight. They watched for a few minutes in amazement at the man's fluid motions. As Daisuke and Yamato approached, the man stopped. He fixed them in a haughty gaze.

"Hi!" exclaimed Daisuke with a wave.

"If you are addressing me, sir, kindly do so to my face," returned the man disdainfully.

"Better let me deal with him," whispered Yamato. He approached the man, followed by Daisuke. "Greetings sir," he said aloud. "I am Yamato. This is my friend Daisuke."

"I am the Weapons Master. You may refer to me as such. I am an expert swordsman and trainer."

Yamato blinked in surprise at the Weapons Master's tone. "We've only recently arrived in town."

"If you wish to know about the town, then Clockmon is the one to gossip."

"We had been trying to find out more about the disappearances of the Baron's children."

"Indeed. The Baronet would not have been lost had he listened to me."

"Excuse me?"

"The Baronet was an impatient young man. Had he learned to harness this as I had often told him, he would be here at the castle now. He did have some minor talent with a sword."

"What about his sister?"

"She was rather a bright child, for a girl. The young miss recognized my skills, watched my daily practices and constantly questioned how things were done. Pity she wasn't born a boy."

"Why's that?" asked Daisuke.

"An expert such as myself can not demean myself to teach a mere girl." Daisuke bristled at the Weapons Master's appraisal of the Baron's daughter. "Had she been born a boy, I am certain she would have made a talented swordsman."

"You said you train people," said Yamato, trying to change the subject before Daisuke found himself in a poor situation.

"All the guards on the grounds have been trained by me. Their skills are the finest."

"Do you ever train anyone outside of the guards?" asked Yamato.

"I do, for a price." The Weapons Master studied Yamato and Daisuke appraisingly. "You two would definitely need my tutoring."

---

Ken rolled over in bed. Pulling the covers over his head to block out the sunlight, he went back to sleep.

---

"They just don't seem to understand," said Takeru as he took a sip of tea. After an hour of Mage's Maze with Wizardmon, he was exhausted. "My brother still seems to think of me as a little child. I know when I go back to the inn tonight, he's going to be furious."

"Just tell him you're a big boy and you can take care of yourself," said Chuumon.

"It could be because you and your brother walk different paths," mused Wizardmon. "Each person has a little mana within themselves. Some it is so small that it is practically negligible, like your friends Daisuke and Ken. Others, like your brother, have a small amount. Had he had a little more, it is possible he could become a healer. But he seems to have neither the necessary mana or inclination."

"Hey, he could walk another path altogether," interjected Chuumon.

"That is true. Then there are those who have sufficient mana to become basic magic users, even wizards. For that you must travel to the Wizards Institute of Technocery. You won't be able to do so until you have finished your quest here. For everyone there is a building process. To become powerful enough to enter WIT, you must work on honing your skills. Building your magical muscles, so to say. Mage's Maze is one way you can build your skills. Each day you should notice that you can cast more and more spells before needing to rest."

"I did notice that, when I fought a Cheetauromon this morning, I seemed to use fewer flame darts," said Takeru.

"Exactly. The more you use a spell, the more potent it becomes. Right now, you were able to fetch small rocks and ladders. Soon try moving up to books and heavier objects."

Takeru looked at Wizardmon thoughtfully. "I guess practicing open will help me open more complicated locks, right?"

"Exactly. By the way, is it true that it's harder for a monster to catch you if you're carrying a torch?" Wizardmon asked out of nowhere.

"Ummm. . . I don't know. . ." returned Takeru in surprise.

"Depends on how fast you're carrying the torch." Despite how he was feeling, Takeru managed a chuckle at Wizardmon's silly joke.

"We have a winner!" announced Chuumon. "You actually got a laugh out of him."

"Don't let this thing with your brother get you down. He's still your older brother and he still wants to look out for you," said Wizardmon.

"Thanks. I better be going if I want to be back to town by midday." Takeru stood. He blinked, and found himself back at the foot of the mountain. "Thank you Wizardmon," he said aloud, then he began the hike back to town.

[To Be Continued]