Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Diminished Light: Void's Assault ❯ Another Journey ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Diminished Light: Void's Assault
Chapter 5
Another Journey
By
Sailor Janus
 
 
 
The brilliant sky was growing dim as the day passed towards evening. Daisuke gazed out the train window at the passing trees, enjoying the calming scenery. He drifted his focus over to the young woman who had fallen asleep awhile back. A few strands of brown hair rested against her pale face and he fought the urge to brush them away. For now Hikari looked peaceful, but who knew what exactly she was dreaming of? Daisuke hated seeing her so troubled and vulnerable. He remembered the days when they were saving the world and the determined inner strength she often showed. Even when she was afraid, she glowed with a light that seemed to give her the will to engage in battle.
 
What happened to that light? It's so dim. As soon as images of the past tried to enter his head, the Chosen Child leader violently shoved them back into the depths of his mind. He didn't need to be reminded of what once had been. It was evident that things just wouldn't go back to the way they were. Just the thought of it made the twenty-one year old wish for something alcoholic to drown himself in. Instead he took out a pen and started chewing on the cap. He knew it was a bad habit and the plastic was probably not good for his teeth, but he needed something to take the edge off with.
 
Daisuke had to admit he was getting better considering everything that was going on. Things were not like they were when he was younger with an explosive amount of energy that he could use to sway people into believing that he was just a bumbling idiot without a thought in the world. He used to do rather well conveying to people that his mask was his true face. After all, if you seem cheerful all the time, then nothing was wrong and people wouldn't ask questions. He hated pity with a fiery passion and the mere thought of it revolted him. His only other choice was to pretend to be as cheerful and carefree as possible. There was only one person he could trust but now…he may just have to keep his own problems bottled up and stored away then act as if his life was as perfectly normally as it could be. No, I'm not going to think of that right now. It's not going to do any good to weaken my defenses. I won't think about that now. Not now, damn it. He bit down hard on the plastic with thoughts of Odaiba. As a familiar stinging sensation flooded his brown eyes, he pushed his mind elsewhere. No, the Chosen of Miracles knew he'd have to face things again, but not now. He had more important things to focus on, at least he could tell himself that, whether or not he believed it didn't really matter.
 
He was unbelievably frustrated with everything. Hikari, college… and other things that he didn't care to consider at the moment if ever. He wanted to find a safe, secure place to hide, but there was none. It wasn't like when he was a kid and could engage his mind in various activities just so he couldn't think about anything but the task at hand. That seemed to be one of his best talents, focusing all his energy on one particular goal as if it were the center of the world and nothing else mattered. But now, that strength of his seemed like it was dying and everything revolved around Hikari, yet he didn't have the faintest idea on how to act around her. There was so much he wanted to say, but he couldn't. Who am I kidding? Hikari is never going to be like she once was. It's all just a stupid useless wish. A miracle perhaps. Like that would ever happen. I mean I could call finding her again a miracle, but, she doesn't remember me so what is the use?
 
He sighed heavily and watched Hikari sleep for a moment, a little more restless than she previously was. The young man frowned as she jerked and whimpered as if in pain. “She can't even have a moment of peace while sleeping,” he murmured shaking his head sadly. Just as he debated on waking up the Bearer of Light, her hand abruptly swung out striking him in the face.
 
“Hey!” Daisuke cried out in more in shock than in pain, dropping his pen. He really hoped this wasn't going to become a habit.
 
Hikari gasped and her brown eyes flew open. She looked at her slightly stinging hand and the red blotch on the side of the young man's face. “Oh, no. I didn't hit you, did I?”
 
The soccer player chuckled as he nodded. He knew he couldn't stay mad at her for long. Especially since she didn't do it on purpose that time. “Yeah, but it's not too bad, and I know it's not your fault.”
 
“I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to.”
 
“I know. It's okay. Don't worry about it. At least you didn't punch me or anything worse.” Daisuke leaned back in his seat and looked at the ceiling. “So, any interesting dreams?”
 
“I can't really remember. Just pieces of this and that.” Hikari made a face and groaned as she rubbed her head. “My head hurts though and I don't know why.”
 
“We'll get something to eat after we get off the train. Maybe that will help.”
 
“I'm not really hungry.”
 
“But you haven't been eating regularly.”
 
“What does that have to do with my headaches?”
 
“Ever heard of a hunger headache?”
 
The young woman frowned. “No.”
 
“You get them when you're hungry. Besides, for every meal you skip, I get to smoke one cigarette.”
 
“Fine. We'll get food after we get off the train,” Hikari grumbled pulling her hair up into a messy bun as she leaned back then sighed. “I really hate this.”
 
Me too, Hikari. Me too. Daisuke glanced out the window and wished the train would move just a bit faster so they could get to his dorm, grab what he needed, and then go off to Odaiba.
 
Hikari fingered the loose strands of hair that fell in her face as she tapped her foot on the floor. She closed her eyes and yawned. “This is so boring. Can we just get there already?”
 
Daisuke raised an eyebrow at her. “I never knew you to be impatient. Usually you'd comment on my being unable to sit still and complaints about having to wait.”
 
“People change I guess,” she shrugged and returned to playing with her hair unaware that her travel companion was still watching her.
 
She's different. Normally she'd joke about it or would remind me of when we were younger. I guess I just need to get used to the idea of her not being the same Hikari she once was no matter how much I much I wish she could be. It's just not going to happen. The young man leaned back into his chair and closed his eyes hoping that by the time he opened them, they'd reach their destination. Lucky for him, once he had closed his eyes, no sooner had he drifted off to sleep did he feel someone shake his shoulder.
 
“Um, hey, we're here.”
 
Daisuke smiled as he nodded but he felt a bit of disappointment over the fact that Hikari seemed to have forgotten his name again. At least they finally made it and his mind could rest a bit.
 
*~*~*~*
 
The key turned easily in the lock as Daisuke twisted the door open then led Hikari inside. The small dorm room was a bit cluttered with two twin beds and two desks on opposite sides of the room. The soccer player was relieved that his roommate off in Italy for the majority of the break from classes. That made bringing Hikari a little easier to swallow. He walked over to his closet and searched the floor for his backpack.
 
Hikari wandered over the clothing strewn floor towards his bed as if she were entranced by something. There, sitting on the nightstand was a framed photograph. She walked closer and picked it up, then nearly dropped it. Smiling up at her was a younger version of the young man and herself. He had his arm wrapped around her waist, and his head leaned toward hers as if whispering something in her ear as she laughed in response. They looked close and happy. “Um, how good of friends were we?”
 
The question made the college student freeze as he grabbed a shirt from the floor. He swallowed thickly and looked up at Hikari nearly cursing when he noted the picture she held in her hands. He should have inspected the room for anything that might suggest anything of the past. His throat felt raw as if he had swallowed a bag of gravel when he finally gave her an answer. “Just friends.”
 
“Just friends?” She blinked and glanced down at the photo again. “But we look pretty close here. Are you sure?”
 
Daisuke stepped back into the room and approached the young woman, promptly snatching the picture from her hands. He tried to look as indifferent as possible, but it was hard. “Yes, we were friends. Don't worry about it. It was in the past and you can't ever go back to the past.” He threw open a drawer and shoved the picture inside then snapped the drawer shut. “Don't worry about it. It's nothing.”
 
Hikari didn't say a word as he went back to his task. Instead she sat on the bed and waited.
 
Damn it. She's still nosy. I wouldn't have minded if only she remembered who I was. This is so unfair. At least it wasn't a picture with the digimon. Then I would really have a lot to explain. He shoved some clothing, a sleeping bag, and other supplies he knew were a necessity in the Digital World in his bag in case they would have to go back. Then again, Hikari without her memories wouldn't be very useful, but in any case, that may be their only solution. He knew she was miserable without them and couldn't really blame her. Of course, if they did have to go to the Digital World, they would have to pick up additional supplies for the Bearer of Light. He doubted that she even had a sleeping bag with her.
 
Daisuke swung his black backpack over his shoulders and looked at Hikari. “Sorry about being a bit hotheaded. I guess I'm probably just hungry so do you want to go get something to eat?”
 
“I guess so.”
 
He nodded and together they left the dorm without a second glance behind them.
 
*~*~*~*
 
The gentle breeze was actually invigorating as Hikari walked down the street with Daisuke. For a moment she could forget about everything and instead enjoy the sun, the wind, and the bright blue sky. It was such a pleasant day that, a tiny part of her longed to skip down the streets and laugh her head off. Hikari however restrained that inner child and concentrated her attention on her shoes.
 
She had to admit, lunch was nice. It reminded her of the food she used to have at her university before she and Nitoni had gotten an apartment together. Why did things have to turn out the way they did? She thought she was happy, but things changed. Hikari thought about the picture she found in her companion's dorm. Something felt …strange about it. They looked so cheerful. Her hair was almost shoulder length and her brown eyes sparkled like polished gemstones. His hair was also longer but still spiky. He had goggles on his head and the grin on his face was pure mischief. With the way they appeared she would guess them to have been fifteen or sixteen, maybe even seventeen. However, age didn't really matter. What did was the pure joy on their faces; something, which Hikari knew had been missing from hers for a very long time.
 
“Hikari?”
 
The young woman lifted her gaze to Daisuke's. He too looked different from the photo. His face was a bit harder and he seemed tired, not full of the energy that radiated off him in the picture. He was paler and there was a tone of caution whenever he spoke as if he were unsure of what he was saying. At once she realized that perhaps she wasn't the only one that had changed. Maybe everyone had. This thought confused and almost frightened her. What if no one was really happy? Then what?
 
“Hikari?”
 
She blinked at the sound of her name being repeated and reddened at the fact that she was staring at Daisuke. He gave her a slight smirk as she brushed a strand of hair from her face. “Sorry. I was thinking.”
 
“You always did a lot of that,” He nodded then smiled at her. “So what do you say to some nice cool ice cream? My treat.”
 
“Ice cream?”
 
“Yeah, there's a great place a few stores away from here.”
 
Hikari paused for a moment as if to contemplate the idea, but never had a chance to fully analyze it when Daisuke suddenly snagged her arm and yanked her inside.
 
The place was relatively busy as the doors closed behind them. Daisuke's smile widened as he released Hikari's arm. “You find a seat and I'll get the ice cream.”
 
“But you don't even know what I want,” she argued.
 
“Two scoops of Cookies and Crème in a waffle cone,” the young man replied as if it were general knowledge.
 
Hikari gaped at him in shock. “H-how did you know that? I haven't had ice cream in years!”
 
He gave her a small passive smile. “You always got it whenever we had ice cream. I don't forget things that most would refer to as insignificant trivia that easily. However if you were to ask me to recite the Periodic Table of Elements…. then we'd have a problem.” Daisuke gave her a wink and batted her away. “Don't worry. I've got it covered. One scoop of Rum Raisin, right? Or is it Peanut Butter Mint Fudge? Maybe Eggplant Toffee…”
 
“Okay, okay. You can get the stupid ice cream.” She shook her head stifling a giggle. She turned and headed to the right side of the parlor where several tables were occupied. Something felt so familiar. It wasn't the place. She had never been in this particular parlor, but the sweet smell, and oddly enough, even the company. She almost felt at home, even though it was only an ice cream parlor. Once again she could see another image of the six children.
 
 
 
The boy with the goggles raced towards the counter, wallet in hand and a backpack strapped to his back. The other five children, also carrying backpacks, trailed behind him with looks of annoyance and or disbelief on their faces.
 
“Daisuke, we don't have time,” the bespectacled girl scowled as he grinned at her.
 
“There's always time for ice cream! So what does everyone want?”
 
The tall dark haired boy shrugged at the others and spoke softly. “Coffee I suppose.”
 
“Ken, don't encourage him,” the girl frowned, crossing her arms over her chest. A look of irritation was written all of over her face.
 
“It's not such a bad idea especially since we don't know what we're in for today. Besides, ice cream doesn't take that long to eat.”
 
“But…but…fine. Mint chocolate chip,” she muttered.
 
The boy at counter grinned in victory. “What was that? I couldn't hear you, Miyako.”
 
“MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP, YOU SOCCER HEAD.”
 
Daisuke winced then turned to his other comrades. “Well, who else, or am I going to have to get Lima Bean Swirl for the rest of you?”
 
“Daisuke,” the shorter girl gagged at the suggestion.
 
He smirked back at her playfully. “Sorry, but I'm not a flavor, Hikari. So would you prefer your usual Cookies and Crème?”
 
She rolled her eyes at him but nodded. “You've been around Taichi too much. Did he tell you that was my favorite flavor?”
 
“No, I just remembered it from your birthday party a few years ago.” He then turned to the other two boys who had not made their decisions yet. “Iori? Takeru? Have you two made up your minds?”
 
“Rocky Road,” the youngest boy replied without hesitation.
 
Daisuke nodded. “So, Takeru, what will it be? Peanut Butter Fudge…. Chocolate Brownie…. Toffee Nut-”
 
“French Vanilla.”
 
The boy at the countered blinked and looked back at the blonde wearing a fisherman's hat. “Neh? French Vanilla? Are you serious? That…that… that's so boring!”
 
“It's what I want,” the blonde said in a slightly firm tone. “So what are you having, Daisuke?”
 
“Only the best flavor in the whole world. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough!”
 
“That requires vanilla. Without vanilla ice cream, you'd just have cookie dough.”
 
The goggle wearing boy's eyes lit up. “Hey, that's a great idea. I'll have to try that later…” Then he turned back to the counter and ordered.
 
 
 
Hikari blinked as the image faded. It was so weird and seemed to have very little significance to anything, yet it appeared in her mind as bright as day before setting like the sun. She sighed and spun around to find a chair only to bump into a young woman holding a cone of chocolate ice cream. “Excuse me. I'm sorry,” Hikari said flustered as she and the other woman backed away from each other then bowed awkwardly.
 
“It's okay.” The woman flipped her red and blonde streaked bangs from her eyes and suddenly gaped in bewilderment at the younger woman. “Hi-Hikari? Is that you?”
 
“Huh?” the confused brunette turned around and looked at the other woman who continued to stare at her. “I'm sorry, but do I know you?”
 
“Oh my…” The red head ran a hand through her long ponytail, the chocolate ice cream long forgotten began to drip off its cone.
 
Just then a familiar face approached them with one ice cream cone in each hand. “This place is more packed than I expected,” Daisuke said then he too stopped mid-step and looked in disbelief at the other woman who distinctly looked like someone he hadn't seen in sometime. “Holy shhhoestrings, Sora! Is that really you?”
 
“Sora?” Hikari blinked as the woman turned and gasped at the sight of the younger man.
 
“Daisuke? Oh my, it is you! Both of you! I can't believe it!” Takenouchi Sora looked down at her melting cone and made a face at it. “So how have you two been? It seems like ages since I last saw you two together.”
 
The soccer player gave the Chosen of Love a pained expression. He had to admit, she looked really different. Her red hair was about mid-length and streaked with blonde. She wore tight hip hugging flared jeans with boots and a low cut turquoise tank top. “You mean Yamato never told you?”
 
“Told her what?”
 
Daisuke spun around and found himself face to face with Ishida Yamato. The twenty-four year old man's blonde hair brushed against his shoulders as his intense blue eyes studied the Chosen of Miracles. He held a cone of black cherry, and rested his other hand against the pocket of his jeans. The over-sized green shirt and slightly baggy jeans looked a bit odd but Daisuke decided not to comment. “Yamato. Wow! You're both here. So um, have you talked to Takeru lately?”
 
Yamato's face darkened at the mentioning of his little brother. “No, we haven't talked. Why do you ask?”
 
The brownish-red haired young man hesitated for a moment wondering why Yamato seemed so angry and bitter about Takeru. It was something he may have to question Sora about. “Um, I need to talk to you two alone. Now.”
 
Sora looked at him in confusion. “Why? It can't be said in front of Hikari?”
 
“It's about Hikari.”
 
Yamato gave him an inquiring look. Daisuke sighed and handed Hikari her ice cream.
 
She looked at the small group and pursed her lips. “I'll go find a place to sit. You can join me when you're done. Okay?”
 
“Thank you, Hikari.”
 
She nodded back at him and disappeared into a crowd as the three remaining Chosen Children stood in the middle of the floor. The leader of the second group cocked his head to an abandoned corner of the room, heading in the direction as the couple followed him.
 
“What is that all about? Hikari seems to be acting strange. She didn't even say hi or anything,” the musician said, glancing in the direction that the Child of Light had gone.
 
Daisuke ate some of his ice cream and nodded. “That's the problem. Her memories of the Chosen Children are gone. She doesn't remember anything outside of when she moved during our senior year of high school.”
 
“She seems completely different. She's so…. empty. It brought a chill down my spine just to see her,” Sora nodded. “How did you find her? She's been missing for years.”
 
“At a park in Kyoto of all places. I was just wandering around and watching a soccer game then she walked in. She had no idea who I was.” Daisuke continued to tell them of the past few events in detail from the time she had left to finding her again all the way to the present. When he finished he looked even more distraught than ever before. “I don't really know what to do for her. I want her to get her memories back just as badly as she does but I don't know how. I feel completely useless. The only thing I can think of is to try the Digital World, but how do I know that will even work? She may end up getting hurt or worse.”
 
Yamato looked thoughtfully at the distressed young man. “Perhaps you are right, though. If it's memories of being a Chosen Child that she is missing, then perhaps taking her back to the Digital World would help.” He glanced briefly at Sora who had not spoken a word regarding either way then continued. “We'll go with you if you want the company.”
 
Daisuke nodded. “Well, if there is more of us, perhaps if things got bad, we can at least keep Hikari safe if something did happen.” He paused for a moment in thought. “Should we contact the others? I mean a bigger party would mean a better chance of keeping her safe.”
 
“It might be a good idea. I just hope that Hikari doesn't feel too overwhelmed by everything,” Sora replied, finishing off her ice cream.
 
Yamato looked at his girlfriend with consideration. “Well, I guess we'll just have to get reacquainted then. She seems to trust Daisuke enough to allow him to accompany her on her search for answers. That says a lot.”
 
The younger man plastered a fake smile on his face. “Of course. What's not to trust?”
 
The blonde haired man raised an eyebrow but didn't reply. “Well, it's getting late. Are you two staying anywhere?”
 
“I- Um, no.” Daisuke hadn't considered where to stay and they weren't even in Odaiba yet. This flying by the seat of his pants thing sometimes didn't work out too well.
 
“Thought so. If you want, you can stay with us, and tomorrow, since it's Saturday, we'll go to Odaiba. Hopefully we'll meet the others there before going to the Digital World.”
 
“You-you're offering us a place to stay?”
 
Yamato shrugged. “This seems to be an emergency. We'll even help you contact the others. Have you told Taichi about Hikari yet?”
 
The color washed away from the brunette's face. “Umm, no. I kind of wanted to wait….until maybe she had her memories back?”
 
“Taichi won't blame you for what happened. He'll be upset yes, but he'll be happy that you've been helping his sister. If there is anyone that has to worry about Taichi, it's whoever hurt Hikari.”
 
Daisuke's face darkened as well at the very thought of what Hikari had been through. “He's not the only one to worry about.”
 
“How have you been holding up?” Sora gave him a sympathetic smile as if she understood what he was going through.
 
“It's been rough. I've really missed her…. but she's not the same Hikari. She seems so dead inside. It just kills me each time I look at her and remember how she once was.” Daisuke closed his eyes, trying to keep the threatening tears at bay. He drew a breath, thankful to be among friends. “I still want to help her regardless of everything and anything. Even if she is never the same again.”
 
“That's just something you may have to accept, Daisuke.” Yamato finished off his cone with a stern look in his eyes. “Something that all of us may have to accept.”
 
“I'll see if I can get maybe a bit more information from her. No offense. But sometimes talking to another girl can help. She may tell me more than she told you,” the lone female of the group said. “I don't know how much it'll help, but it'll be something. In the meantime, you two contact everyone and get the supplies we need.”
 
“Might be a good idea, Sora. Thanks,” Yamato said then turned back to the far side of the room where he could barely see Hikari sitting alone. “Hopefully, this will work. Taichi will not be happy to know what has happened to his sister.”
 
The youngest member of the group nodded, knowing exactly how Taichi and even Yamato were probably feeling. Daisuke had a sneaking suspicion that Yamato regarded Hikari as much his own sibling as the rest of the elder Chosen Children simply because she was the baby of the group just like Takeru was. The only difference was that she was more fragile because she was ill at times when she was with the first group of Chosen Children. Luckily, her health improved by the time the adventures with the second group had begun.
 
Together the threesome left their corner and headed back over to the long lost Chosen of Light. They knew it would be very trying until she had her memories back, but all they could do was wait.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Author's Notes: Well, they finally ran into Sora and Yamato. At first, it was just supposed to have been Sora, but Yamato decided to make an appearance after all. More will be shown on them in the next chapter as well as some of the other characters.
 
Thank you to those of you who have read and reviewed.