Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Diminished Light: Void's Assault ❯ Blinded ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Diminished Light: Void's Assault
Chapter 8
Blinded
By
Sailor Janus
 
 
The night air became a bit chillier as Yamato and Takeru stepped outside onto the balcony. The two brothers glanced briefly at each other and then chose separate places to stand. The youngest stood against the railing as the musician positioned himself against the wall.
 
Yamato dug out a cigarette and raised an eyebrow as his brother did the same. He then shrugged, lit it, and took a long drag. “So, how's school?”
 
Takeru fidgeted a moment and stared down at the streets below. “Okay, I guess.”
 
“Professors treating you okay?”
 
“Yeah, other than the fact that they hate my stuff. I have to write literary fiction, not like you know what that means, but it really sucks.”
 
The Chosen of Friendship ran a hand through his hair. His blue eyes studied his brother carefully. It felt odd to be talking to him in such a distant tone. Perhaps things would be better afterwards. “They're probably jealous.”
 
“You're just saying that.” Takeru scoffed as he leaned over the railing and sighed. “I'm a horrible writer. Everyone thinks so. I should just go into business like everyone else that has a brain.”
 
Yamato snorted. “Yeah, and most of those people end up miserable or go into something totally outside of what they majored in.” He turned to his brother and wished he could look him in the eye. “Takeru, you have a gift and I'm not just saying it because I'm your brother. Look, I kind of understand you probably feel like you're stuck behind my shadow but you are your own person; an extremely intelligent and good person. There is no need to try to be what you aren't.”
 
The younger man glowered in response. “What, have you been talking to Daisuke or something?”
 
“No, I can see a mirror reflection of myself in you and I'd much rather have Takeru as my brother rather than another version of me.”
 
“I'm not a copy of you,” the writer mumbled.
 
“Bull. The hair, the clothes, and since when did you smoke?”
 
Takeru blinked and turned to face his sibling. “Are you trying to impersonate Mom or something, because that is pretty damn close.”
 
“Takeru…”
 
“Alright, fine.” He drew a breath and stared up at the night sky. “I tried to emulate you so I could be more popular. You don't know what it's like to have no friends, no girlfriend, or anything.”
 
Yamato nodded as he thought back a few years to when things seems a lot simpler. “Hey, what about that girl you met up with at that party several years back. She seemed pretty taken by you. What was her name again? I think she was Italian-”
 
“French. And her name was Catherine.” Takeru focused on the ground and shuffled his feet. “We've actually met before during the whole BelialVamdemon thing back when we had to rally together all the Chosen Children around the world.” A faint tint colored his cheeks. “She was really sweet, and well, cute.”
 
“And I'll bet she was even prettier all dressed up.”
 
Takeru ducked his head, as if he feared of blushing in front of his older brother. “I guess so. Yeah.”
 
A smirk lit up Yamato's face. It was nice to see a bit of the old Takeru still existed after all. “Why didn't you two exchange email addresses or phone numbers or something?”
 
His younger brother however sighed at this suggestion. “We did. We talked for a while kind of like pen pals…. then she just stopped writing. I'm not sure why. Maybe she lost my information or moved or something. Either that or she decided she didn't like me anymore.”
 
“In the words of Daisuke, `what's not to like?' You're smart, good looking, friendly, athletic, an excellent writer…. And have your moments with the sense of humor thing.”
 
“Are you trying to make me turn red or something?”
 
Yamato laughed. “You never were too good at accepting a compliment. But it is the truth.”
 
“If you say so.” Takeru sighed and snuffed out his cigarette. “I guess we should probably go back inside soon. Thanks.”
 
“No, problem. You just need to stop being so hard on yourself.”
 
“You mean like you?”
 
The Bearer of Friendship sent a glare his brother's way then laughed. “I suppose.”
 
The two men fell silent for a moment before Takeru broke it with several questions that he knew wouldn't be able to be answered at the moment. “I wonder what is going to happen tomorrow in the Digital World. We haven't been there in so long. I hope Patamon and the others are okay. I haven't seen him in a very long time either.” He paused for a moment and shook his head. “Some Chosen Children we were. We had completely abandoned our friends and the Digital World. Makes you wonder what's going to happen next.”
 
Yamato nodded. “I guess we'll just have to prepare then wait and see.”
 
The Chosen of Hope nodded then they stood in silence once again, watching the night sky.
 
*~*~*~*
 
The sound of the television droned on as it lit up the room in flashes of color. No one was paying attention to whatever happened to be on, each of the three people, aside from Hikari who was still asleep, were too lost in their thoughts. Sora sat curled up in an armchair holding a book in her hands, but had yet to crack it open. Taichi on the other hand, had moved to the smaller sofa, allowing Hikari to take as much room as she preferred on the larger one. Daisuke however chose to the sit on the floor, leaning against the larger sofa with his knees drawn to his chest.
 
It wasn't until Taichi got a good look at Sora, did the still quiet remain unbroken. Normally he wouldn't question something so personal, but he couldn't help it. The strong athletic girl he once knew now appeared close to malnourished worse than his little sister. Maybe Daisuke is right. It's not just him and Hikari with the problems. He cleared his throat then addressed the redhead. “So, Sora. How have you been?”
 
The Chosen of Love blinked and turned her attention to her childhood friend. “Okay, I guess,” she shrugged. “You? It's been awhile since I've seen either of you two in fact.”
 
“Haven't seen much of Daisuke either, let alone Yamato.” He paused a moment and scratched his head. “Have you uh, been eating okay? You seem a lot thinner than I remember.”
 
The Bearer of Miracles gaped at his former mentor in disbelief then slapped a hand over his face as he groaned.
 
“What do you mean, Taichi?” Sora narrowed her eyes at him as if daring him to say anymore.
 
“Well…. You've just changed and maybe my memory is bad, but you look almost as thin as Hikari and she hasn't been eating well, so I thought...”
 
“Are you trying to tell me I have an eating disorder?”
 
Taichi squirmed in his seat and glanced helplessly to his protégé. “Daisuke probably agrees, right, Daisuke?”
 
“Leave me out of this,” the younger Chosen Child muttered.
 
“But you were the one that said she had a complex in the first place!”
 
“WHAT?” Sora rose from her chair and glared down at the two leaders. “How DARE you! I do not-”
 
“Do not, what?” Daisuke at that moment chose to look at the irate woman and met her with a cool stare as well. Taichi after all had already shoved him towards the flames, might as well go down like a champ instead of as a sacrifice. “Have an eating disorder? I saw right through Hikari and Jun. You think I can't see through you as well?”
 
Sora opened her mouth, but froze. It was her childhood friend who actually asked the question she wanted to.
 
“Jun had an eating disorder?”
 
Daisuke gravely nodded. “Yeah. She did. She didn't think she was good enough. Not pretty enough. Not popular enough. Not smart enough. So, she tried to fix things herself.” He dropped his eyes to the carpet and folded his arms over his knees. “Mom and Dad didn't notice since they were barely home, but I did. When she couldn't starve herself, she'd vomit then try to cover up the smell with air freshener. It wasn't until her hair started falling out that I finally told our parents what was going on. It had all started when she was nineteen. She's gotten through it now, but it was still a hard road to travel.”
 
The Chosen of Love sat in silence as she gazed towards the balcony door. She drew a deep breath and finally spoke. “I diet, but that's it. Nothing else. I still eat, just not that much then I exercise.”
 
“Sora, you were skinny to begin with. There is no need to put yourself through that,” Taichi sighed, now feeling concerned about the others. Exactly how much had changed since they last saw each other?
 
“I know,” she mumbled softly. “I'm not bulimic or anorexic.”
 
“If you keep it up, you will be,” Daisuke said firmly. “There is a line between a casual diet and obsessing over your weight.”
 
Sora threw her hands in the air. “Let's just drop it already! Would it satisfy you if I ate a huge bowl of ramen and washed it down with and extra large chocolate shake? Will that make you two shut up?”
 
The two leaders shrank back in result of the furious woman's shouts. Instead they focused their gazes on the thick snowy carpet. Taichi ran a hand through his hair and scowled. “We're just worried about you.”
 
“Yeah, well…. I can take care of myself,” she growled, thrusting her book open in a heated rage.
 
He sighed and glanced towards his slumbering sister who didn't appear so peaceful after all. The leader leaned closer and furrowed his eyebrows. “Hikari doesn't have a fever, does she?”
 
Daisuke snapped his head in the direction of the Chosen of Light and nearly fell backwards. Luckily he was still sitting on the floor otherwise he more than likely would have. The young woman was once again drenched in sweat and shaking horribly in her sleep. She whimpered softly as fresh tears streaked her cheeks. Her face however was ghastly translucent, even paler than before she had fallen asleep.
 
“What's wrong with her?” Sora gasped, rising from her chair as she too took in the sight of the brunette. “Is she sick?”
 
Taichi slid off the couch and approached his little sister, concern and confusion very evident in his brown eyes. He carefully laid a hand on her forehead then abruptly drew it away.
 
“What is it?” Daisuke switched his focus from Hikari to her brother and back again. His voice shook slightly as he spoke. “Does she have a fever?”
 
Taichi moved away from his sibling, a frown curving over his mouth. “It's...strange. She's warm but she's also cool….how can that be?”
 
His protégé was about to reply when suddenly an intensely bright light shone off of Hikari's body. The three Chosen Children in the room immediately shielded their eyes as they cried out in pain. “What is happening to her?”
 
“I don't know!” He frantically tried to reach out to his sister but withdrew his hand with a shout. He looked at his hand in disbelief and realized that it was burned as though he had touched a searing hot plate. “Hikari, wake up!”
 
Sora gasped as Taichi clutched his burnt hand and froze where she stood. “Taichi, are you okay?”
 
“I'll live.”
 
“Why is she glowing like that?”
 
“Good question, but at this rate, we may need sunglasses.”
 
At the mentioning of the eyewear, Daisuke pulled down his dark shades and moved a bit closer as well but was stopped by Taichi. Instead he too yelled for the sleeping Child of Light to awaken. He paused, completely baffled by the whole situation. “What are we going to do? We need to wake her up!”
 
“Did she do this before?” Sora asked him.
 
“No, not while I was present.” He scowled for a moment. “Do you suppose it's a defense mechanism?”
 
Taichi considered that speculation when the sound of the balcony door opening drew their attention temporarily away from the glowing woman.
 
The two brothers paused in bewilderment and they too, brought their hands to their eyes, squinting through the intense light, unable to make out the source or who was still present in the room. The elder of the two covered his eyes for a moment, trying to adjust them. “What's up with the light show?”
 
“Hikari,” his best friend simply replied.
 
“What?” Yamato made himself look up and suddenly wished he hadn't. He quickly dropped his head and shut his eyes. “What happened?”
 
“That's what we're trying to figure out. We can't seem to wake her up either,” Daisuke replied, grit very evident in his voice. “I knew she was bright, but this is ridiculous!”
 
“And blinding,” Takeru added approaching the group.
 
“And burning.” Taichi nodded, showing them his hand. “At least it's not blistering.”
 
“But what are we going to do? She's not waking up!” Sora's voice was tinged with panic. Yamato placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.
 
“We'll do the only thing we can do. Wait and hope she does wake up,” he replied as the others silently nodded. All they could do was wait, and hope. Nothing more, nothing less.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Menacing shadows bounced off of the grim, moldy stone walls as several dark flamed torches lit the way throughout the musty corridors of the dark fortress-like building. Hikari raced blindly down the narrow halls, as she tried to shut out the tears with every bit of strength she had. The thundering echoes of her footsteps bounced off of the walls as she tried to seek an escape.
 
She couldn't remember how she came to such a place but only knew she had to get out as fast as she could. There was something so dark and foreboding that she swore her heart would jump out of her chest if she didn't find a way out soon. Unfortunately, the place resembled a labyrinth at best, many of her turns resulted in dead ends forcing the frightened young woman to double back and find another path.
 
There has to be a way out of here! Her breath caught as she skidded into another dead end. Hikari kicked the wall in frustration then leaned against it as she tried to catch her breath. Sweat slid from her forehead and dripped off her nose and chin as tears soon followed. Damn it, I can't do this forever. She inhaled sharply at the sound of footsteps casually striding in her direction.
 
She swallowed thickly and pressed herself against the wall, debating on what action to take next. Dread flooded her senses as she held her breath. Suddenly a cruel laughter danced menacingly in the air.
 
“Do you think hiding will do you any good?”
 
The voice mocked the terrified young woman as she struggled to keep her wits about her. Hikari balled her hands into fists and tried to calm her shaking nerves. There has to be some way out of here.
 
“There isn't,” the feminine voice snorted.
 
“You read my thoughts?” Hikari stammered, completely bewildered by whoever insisted on tormenting her. “But…how?”
 
“You are so pathetic.”
 
“I don't understand this. Why do you want to hurt me? I've done nothing to you. Nothing!”
 
The speaker stepped in the doorway, once again enveloped in a long dark cloak, concealing her features. It appeared that she was same woman from Hikari's previous dream. “There doesn't have to be a reason. You're much too simple minded. I expected much more out of you.”

The captive clenched her jaw for a moment narrowing her brown eyes. She was still afraid but knew she would never leave unless she used whatever was left of her backbone in one form or another. “Then I'm sorry to disappoint you,” she said dryly, pushing off the wall. “If I'm not such a great challenge, then why don't you let me go and find someone else to torment?”
 
A flash of light caught Hikari's eyes as something streaked towards her face. She quickly sidestepped it, allowing the object to sink in the wall. A gasp escaped from her throat as she stared down at the shiny dagger now embedded in the stone wall. She could feel the color drain from her face as she froze on the spot.
 
The laughter erupted once again, this time gleeful. “I see you have rather good reflexes. This might be more entertaining than I thought.” Another dagger soon followed, barely missing Hikari as she threw herself on the ground.
 
“STOP IT!” She urgently scanned the room for an exit, but could find none. Instead she summoned all the strength she had and screamed.
 
Her attacker paused in shock as Hikari's aura faintly glowed before the white light expanded to something that could rival the sun. The floor, walls, and ceiling began to shake, emitting large clouds of dust as chunks of stone and plaster shook loose. “What are you doing? Stop! You're going to destroy everything including us!”
 
Hikari's eyes flew open and for the first time she found herself staring into a pair of horrified sapphire blue eyes peeking out from behind the hood of the cloak. There's something about them…I just don't know. The intense glow slowly diminished as the atmosphere calmed. Suddenly she collapsed as all her strength gave out on her.
 
*~*~*~*
 
The five adults sat around the glowing young woman, each wore a pair of sunglasses to protect their eyes from the harsh light. Only a few minutes ago, they had sealed off all the windows in hopes that no outsiders would see the unusual display. They had to admit, even after the many odd and strange sights they had seen during their times as Chosen Children, this was one that would be difficult to forget.
 
Takeru gazed at his feet, trying not to look directly at Hikari. Sora had to remind them that at this point, looking directly at the Chosen of Light could be as harmful as looking into the sun. “I have a really bad feeling about all this.”
 
“You're not the only one, Takeru.” Daisuke ran a hand through his hair, glancing at Hikari out of the corner of his eye. He sighed, squinting a bit before focusing on his hands again.
 
“What if she never stops glowing and never wakes up?” Taichi glanced at his friends, fearful for his little sister.
 
Yamato gave him a look of both astonishment and disappointment as he sat in his chair again. “She will. Hikari has been through a lot worse.”
 
“What if she doesn't want to wake up?” The leader of the Chosen Children stood up from his place on the couch next to the Bearer of Hope and glared his best friend. “And since when are you Mr. Positive? Isn't that Takeru's job?”
 
“Since when did you have the brain capacity of a year old rice ball? You're the one that usually had the positive outlook, remember?”
 
“Wait…. are you telling me that a rice ball is SMARTER than me?”
 
Yamato approached the angry young man prepared to knock some sense into him if he had to. “At the moment, yeah.”
 
“Well, I doubt a rice ball could beat your face in!”
 
“Or someone dumber than a rice ball.”
 
“You're stupider than a moldy two year old chunk of TOFU!”
 
The musician growled as he narrowed his eyes. “Yeah, well you smell worse than my grandmother's pickles when she puts in too much vinegar and soy sauce!”
 
“The same one that hung up on me when I tried to call you during the first encounter with Omnimon?” Taichi paused as he thought back to that particular day when they were practically battling against the clock in preventing the activation of a nuclear warhead.
 
“Yeah.”
 
The Bearer of Courage stomped his foot in anger at the answer. “Take that back, you overcook radish!”
 
Daisuke glanced up at Takeru from his place on the floor. “Hey, do you think they could be hungry?”
 
“Shove it, ramen breath,” Yamato snapped at the younger man.
 
“Probably,” the writer whispered as they continued watching the show.
 
Taichi took a step closer to his best friend. “You look like slimy, raw seaweed.”
 
“Month old Puffer fish.”
 
“Burnt potsticker.”
 
“You're denser than a ten year old fruitcake,” Yamato sneered in reference to Mimi's Christmas party in New York a few years ago.
 
Taichi's jaw dropped at the insult. “You-you smell like spoiled egg nog!”
 
“Knock it off, both of you!” Sora stepped between them, shoving the two infuriated young men away from each other. “Neither of you are doing Hikari any good so sit down and shut up.” She then spun around and faced the two younger Chosen Children. “And don't you two dare even think about fighting like these two numbskulls or you'll be sleeping on the balcony.”
 
Daisuke and Takeru both blinked in shock at the woman behind their dark shades. “The thought hasn't even occurred to us, Sora,” the blonde replied as the brunette shook his head in response.
 
“Good!” The red haired woman spun on her heel and walked away, muttering to herself. “And they think I have a complex. They need to seek some anger management, stupid jerks.”
 
“That was….different,” Takeru said as he leaned back against the couch. His words were however unheard as Daisuke redirected his attention elsewhere. “Hey, is it just me, or is the room suddenly a lot dimmer?”
 
“Hikari,” Daisuke moved closer to the young woman, tearing his sunglasses off as the violently bright light which once surrounded her began fading. The other three men looked on as the glow diminished completely and a few seconds later brown eyes opened and blinked.
 
“What….” Hikari touched her forehead, wincing in pain as she groaned softly. She closed her eyes for a moment then glanced around the room, confusion etched on her pale face. “What happened?”
 
A relieved smile curved on the leader of the second group of Chosen Children. “Welcome back, Hikari.”
 
“Are you okay? How do you feel? Is there anything I can get you? Do you want some water or some food?” Taichi peppered his younger sister with questions as he rushed to her side, an urgent look on his face.
 
“It's okay, Hikari. We just got worried about you.” Takeru gave her a gentle, understanding smile, removing his shades.
 
The young woman frowned and tugged lightly on a strand of hair. “Why should you be worried about me? I'm fine.” She paused a moment and stared at her brother. “Why are you wearing sunglasses?”
 
“You glowed. Do you happen to know why?” Yamato looked at her quizzically, fiddling with his own black colored glasses.
 
Hikari dropped her gaze to her hands as if contemplating what exactly to say. “I don't remember,” she softly replied, flinching slightly at her own words.
 
“Well, sis. I can honestly say you could have given the sun some competition,” her brother laughed trying to settle some of the built up tension as he took his blue sunglasses off.
 
“We're just glad you're alright. You are alright, right?” The Chosen of Hope gave her an inquiring look.
 
“I'm fine,” Hikari said with a stiff laugh.
 
Yamato however studied her closely then glanced briefly at Daisuke who was too focused on the young woman to have noticed. He said nothing then shifted his focus to his girlfriend as she walked back into the room.
 
“Hikari! I'm so glad to see you're okay,” Sora smiled, removing her sunglasses. “Do you need anything?”
 
“I'm fine. Just fine. Don't worry about me. I'm fine,” Hikari smiled back as she toyed with the ends of her hair.
 
The Bearer of Miracles nodded as he stood up and approached her bag lying near the wall where the white cat was sitting. He picked up the stuffed animal and tossed it to her without a word.
 
The others looked at Daisuke, each with a puzzled expression on their faces, but he didn't say a word and instead took a seat on the other couch. He scowled down at his feet for a moment before glancing back towards everyone and shrugged with a lopsided grin. “Sorry, I think I'm more tired than my body is letting on.”
 
Yamato nodded as he looked at the young man with some thought. “Then perhaps it would be best if we all go to sleep. Tomorrow may be a longer day than we anticipate specifically because we don't know what to expect.”
 
His girlfriend nodded. “Why don't we all bunk out here tonight? We could potentially end up sleeping in worse conditions tomorrow. Hopefully it won't come to that.”
 
“Fine with me. Hikari can take the couch she's already on.”
 
“I'll take the floor. I'm used to it,” Daisuke said as he rose to his feet. “The girls should be the ones sleeping on the couches anyway.”
 
Sora appeared a bit taken a back at the chivalrous gesture but smiled. “Thank you, Daisuke. I better grab some blankets and pillows for everyone.”
 
“We'll help,” Yamato said, dragging Taichi hurriedly behind him.
 
Hikari picked up the stuffed cat and held it on her lap. Takeru and Daisuke exchanged glances as they sat back down on the floor. “I'm sorry for being such a bother,” she said softly.
 
“You're not. You're our friend,” the spiky haired brunette replied softly.
 
The blonde gave him a speculative look then nodded. “Right. We've all helped each other out time and time again. I mean, well… you helped Daisuke with studying when his parents threatened to take him out of soccer club, I helped you in the Dig-” Takeru paused as Daisuke sharply elbowed him in the side. He glanced quickly from the leader and back to the young woman on the couch. “-Dinner. I mean I helped you make dinner once.”
 
“This coming from the guy who nearly burned down his mother's apartment trying to make ramen,” Daisuke muttered dryly.
 
“Hey! The damn pot boiled over and…. how did you know about that?”
 
“I have my sources,” the soccer player smirked smugly. He cleared his throat and rested his arms behind his head then leaned back against the table. “And you helped Hikari with her English essay, not dinner. Well, you did that too, but then had to get take- out because first you undercooked everything and then you overcooked it to the point that it was impossible to distinguish what was what.”
 
Takeru pouted, folding his arms. “It wasn't that bad.”
 
“All I have to say is whoever you marry better know how to cook or you'll be eating take-out for the rest of your lives.”
 
“I'll just have Yamato teach me then.”
 
Daisuke raised an eyebrow. “He tried. Remember? You nearly brought him to tears.”
 
“I did not,” Takeru growled.
 
“I was there with Taichi. It took several months for me to stop having nightmares of that day.”
 
“You're just over-exaggerating.”
 
Daisuke snickered. “You torched the tofu for crying out loud and started a really big grease fire, nearly catching your brother's hair on fire in the process, not to mention his favorite shirt.”
 
“Was I present?” Hikari blinked, interrupting the conversation briefly.
 
Daisuke's face dimmed a bit as he nodded. “Yeah, it was supposed to be a dinner for all of our friends. In fact you came with us to get the replacement dinner.”
 
“Hey, what are you three talking about?” Taichi inquired as he and the elder Chosen Children returned with multiple piles of blankets and pillows in their arms.
 
“Just reminiscing about Takeru's failed cooking attempts,” the younger leader chuckled with the mere mental image.
 
Yamato's face immediately paled as he shuddered. “Takeru, you know I love you but I am NEVER EVER going to teach you how to cook ever again.”
 
“I never thought rice balls could bounce. You proved me wrong,” the Chosen of Courage laughed.
 
Sora looked at the group and sighed. “I suppose this was something I missed and I was probably better off not witnessing.”
 
“Unless you wanted flour and grease splashed on you like Daisuke, your hair nearly caught on fire like Yamato, vinegar spilled on your favorite skirt like Hikari or a jar of pickled ginger dropped on your foot like me then no. I don't care what you happened to be doing at the time, you were FAR better off than the rest of us.”
 
The redhead flinched. “I think I was at tennis practice and for that I am very glad.”
 
“Let's just go to bed already,” Takeru grumbled as he stood up and snatched a pillow and blanket from his brother's grasp then stumbled off to a vacant corner of the room.
 
“Don't take it personally, Takeru. We're just teasing you,” Yamato said reassuringly.
 
“Yeah, yeah.”
 
The others exchanged glances and they too either set up a place on the floor or the couch then prepared for bed. It wasn't long until the lights were off and everyone was snuggled under a blanket. They all said good night and soon sleep claimed them.
 
*~*~*~*
Author's Notes: Finally it looks like the next chapter will get the plot moving more. It was nice to see more humor in this chapter. I'm actually a big fan of it when it feels like it belongs. I didn't exactly expect Hikari to glow. It just…..happened. Not sure why it happened myself, hopefully that answer will write itself. I've had enough of a headache trying to figure out what is going on with Daisuke (there is more going on than appears to be and may not be revealed until the very end because he's being really sly with sharing things. I'm surprised he let out his sister's problem to be honest.)
 
Even bigger things are yet to come in the next chapter.