Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Diminished Light: Void's Assault ❯ Trinity Affairs ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Diminished Light: Void's Assault
Chapter 21
Trinity Affairs
By
Sailor Janus
 
 
Tani opened her eyes and coughed. The first thing that came to mind once her head stopped spinning was that she felt a great urge to be sick. Weakly, she reached up to touch her forehead then froze at the sight of her dirty hand. It was right then that she realized that she was lying in the middle of a rather large mud puddle. “Great. Just what I always wanted; a mud bath.”
 
“I need a shower,” Rosa wrinkled her nose in disgust. “This is so gross!”
 
“It would be better if you'd get off me,” A soft yet very male voice growled from under the Mexican girl.
 
“Oh!” The teenaged girl's eyes widen in surprise as she leapt off the boy's back with a quickly spreading flush on her dirty face.
 
“Iori?” Sora gasped in shock. She glanced behind them and let out a cry at the sight of her boyfriend and best friend sprawled out on the ground. “Where did you guys come from?”
 
Yamato groaned as he lifted his head and ran a hand through his hair, grimacing at the slimy sensation. He made a face and wiped his hand on his pants. “We don't know. All I remember is being hit by the big wave and now we're here.”
 
“Why do I taste dirt?” Taichi muttered picking his head up from the ground. He froze and blinked in shock at the sight of the girls covered in mud.
 
“That would be because you probably swallowed quite a bit,” The musician sighed as he stood up and stretched. He stared in shock at the mud-covered field they were in and folded his arms over his chest. “Well, there's not much here but I do see some trees not too far from here.”
 
“At least everyone seems to be okay other than the fact that we all need a nice long bath,” Tani smiled as she gathered herself off the ground. She glanced momentarily at Taichi and bit her lip then spun on her heel away from the forest. “I suppose we all probably just experienced a mudslide.”
 
Sora shifted her gaze between the two older brunettes and sighed. She smoothed her hair that had plastered itself to her cheek and tucked it behind her ear with a thoughtful expression. Well, there are worse things to be rather than covered in mud.”
 
“Like dead?” Rosa chimed in.
 
“Yeah.”
 
“I don't care to consider that concept,” Tani said sharply. Her eyes flickered slightly as she balled her hands into fists. She drew a deep breath and slowly exhaled. Now was not the time to relate to the others on the mishaps between her and her sisters. Even if Taichi didn't care for her anymore, she didn't feel now was the time nor the place. Why didn't you ever listen to me? Damn you.
 
“Let's just go.” The red head moved to brush past the boys to head into the forest when Yamato caught her by the wrist. She blinked and looked into his glassy blue eyes hesitantly then quickly turned away.
 
“I'm sorry, Sora. Please don't be angry with me anymore,” he breathed earnestly into her ear.
 
A shiver ran down her spine and she swallowed thickly. “I'm not. I-I don't even remember why I was mad at you before.”
 
“I was fighting with Taichi again.”
 
“Oh yeah.” She snapped out of her stupor and narrowed her eyes at him. “Try not to lose your temper anymore. Either of you.” A glare was sent Taichi's way as well before she slipped away from her boyfriend and marched off towards the forest.
 
Yamato tilted his face towards the sky and sighed. “I can tell I going to have some feet kissing in the future.”
 
“You think?” His best friend smirked in amusement.
 
“Not as badly as you will.”
 
“Me kiss feet? Nah. Won't happen.”
 
Tani lowered her head and rushed after Sora without a single word to anyone.
 
Yamato shook his head and ran a hand down his face in exasperation over his friend's comment. “You were saying?”
 
Taichi dropped his jaw and slapped a hand to his forehead. “Shit.”
 
“I think that about sums it up.”
 
“I know who not to get dating tips from,” Iori murmured shaking his head at the two.
“You're all jerks!” Rosa hissed with a rather cold and venom filled look at the quiet teenager. “And you especially you, Mr. Hotshot Smarty Pants!” She stood silent for a moment as if unsure of what else to say then raced after the other two girls.
 
“What just happened?” The Kendo expert blinked in shock earning snickers from his comrades.
 
“I think she likes you, Iori,” Yamato said smugly.
 
The teenager scratched his head. “I don't think I'll ever understand girls.” The other two Chosen sighed and slowly made their way towards the forest.
 
*~*~*~*
 
“The nerve of him!” Tani shouted as she balled her hands into fists.
 
“That's Taichi.” Sora said simply, trailing after the frustrated girl.
 
The tall brunette turned on her heel and put her hands on top of her head as she closed her eyes. “Just when I think things could work he says stupid stuff like that.”
 
“Taichi doesn't think too much about what he says. He has a worse foot-in-mouth complex than Yamato. And Yamato is used to the taste of shoe leather by now.” The red head paused a moment and giggled. “The point is sometimes they say stupid stuff and they may not even realize it.”
 
“I know. I know.” Tani sighed and shoved a strand of hair from her eyes. “The point is that I should be used to this, but I'm not. Not anymore.”
 
“At least they talk unlike that Iori,” Rosa growled as she raced up to the other two Chosen girls. “He may be smart but he's completely dense.”
 
“I just…. ARGH!” Without a second thought, Tani kicked a mound of leaves and screamed in frustration. She paused a moment, as something glittering in the scattered brush caught her attention.
 
Sora smiled. “Feel better?”
 
“It's not that….” Hesitantly the formerly upset girl bent down and picked up a small stone with what appeared to be two hands grasping one another etched on the surface. “I can't believe it…”
 
“It's a Power Stone,” The Mexican girl gasped in surprise. Sora spun around and looked as well.
 
“You have one as well….” The red head breathed.
“It's the same as the symbol of my crest,” Tani whispered in bewilderment.
 
Just then shouts were heard from afar as the three Chosen boys sprinted towards them. The girls turned around but didn't seem to register the excited expressions on their faces.
 
“You girls have to hear this! Iori just got an email from Ken,” Taichi said excitedly. He approached Tani and grinned at her. “Y-you're an Asukai, right?”
 
“Yes…”
 
“Do-do you know a girl named Asukai Ami?”
 
The young woman's brown eyes widen in amazement and she nearly dropped her stone. She covered her mouth with one hand and slowly nodded. “She's-she's my… youngest sister….”
 
“Ken and the others have found her,” Iori announced calmly the showed them the email.
 
Tani looked through the email and nearly dropped the D-Terminal as her legs gave out from under her. “She's safe. She's safe.” A brief moment later she passed out.
 
*~*~*~*
 
“Well, this is what I really planned on doing with my day. Hunting for Koushiro's missing girlfriend,” Mimi snorted as they wandered through tall ice covered trees.
 
Michael opened his mouth to reply when the red head cut him off snapping, “Shut up, Mimi!”
 
Takeru blinked at the venom in his friend's voice and gaped. “That was unexpected…”
 
Koushiro whirled around and narrowed his dark gaze at the younger blonde. “What? Am I not allowed to have emotions? I can only stare into a stupid computer screen for the rest of my life like a mindless robot or something?”
 
“No, you can have emotions-”
 
“Then shut up.”
 
Michael placed his hand on the red head's shoulder. “Hey, Koushiro. Calm down, or you might not have any friends left to say shut up to.”
 
“Just… leave me alone. I don't need anyone's pity.” He shrugged off the comforting hand and quickened his pace.
 
“Damn, I never expected to see him this upset. The guy really can have a temper.” Michael tucked his hands in his pockets and shook his head. “I wonder what actually went on between those two. Somehow I doubt their relationship was purely platonic. I never fathomed that Koushiro could land such a looker.”
 
“Michael!” Mimi swatted him upside the head and glared at him.
 
“What? She is. And there's nothing wrong with that. It's not like I'm going to dump you for her.” He paused a moment wincing. “Koushiro would probably beat me to a bloody pulp with his laptop and I don't even want to imagine the damage you could do with one of your pairs of heels.”
 
“Spiked preferably. Maybe stiletto.”
 
“Mi...”
 
She giggled and tossed back one of her pigtails from her shoulder. “I'm just joking. I don't even have any stilettos. I tried a pair on but they pinched my feet.”
 
“Death by shoe. I'd hate to see the carnage,” Takeru wrinkled his nose in disgust at the thought causing Catherine to giggle.
 
“It would make a really interesting headline,” she added. “Might make front page.”
 
The writer's blue eyes shone with a wicked glint. “Spiked Heels Take a Stab Out of Man.” He paused a moment and rubbed his chin. “Maybe I should try my hand at journalism.”
 
Catherine looked at him carefully as she tilted her head. “I think a journalist would be a marvelous fit.”
 
“Really?”
 
Oui! Well, you seem to always enjoy looking for information and writing. You are also a good conversationalist. I think it'd be a good idea.”
 
“Thank you, Catherine. That means a lot to me,” Takeru said genuinely.
 
“I'd never lie to you, Takeru,” she whispered, staring into his now sparkling gaze. She bit her lip nervously and drew back a bit. “I-I hope Akina is alright.”
 
“Yeah.” He replied breathlessly as if not really hearing what the French girl had said. “Me too.”
 
“Well, I'm not going to be your first article, Takeru.” Michael snorted with his arms folded over his chest.
 
“Right! Besides, how in the world would I be able to get the stains off my shoes? They'd be absolutely ruined,” Mimi remarked with a giggle.
 
Her American boyfriend stared in horror in that she had actually taken consideration into it and gulped. “Um, you're not actually planning on being `The Spiked Heel Murderess' are you?”
 
“Hm, a black widow with excellent fashion sense. Sounds like a great story,” Takeru grinned, annoying Michael even more.
 
This made Mimi laugh harder. “No, I could never kill you, Michael.” She threw her arms around him in a bear hug and kissed his cheek. “Besides, what would I do with the body?”
 
“MIMI!”
 
“Just kidding,” she said, ruffling his curly locks.
 
Catherine glanced at Takeru and blushed. She quickly refocused on the ground and clasped her hands in front of her as if nervous. “I-I hope we can find Koushiro and Akina… Koushiro seemed really angry.”
 
Takeru nodded as he too stared at the ground. “Yeah. He really did.”
 
Mimi released Michael and made a face. “Well, I still can't believe he yelled at me. I mean she really has been a bitch since we first met her…. I was only speaking the truth.”
 
The French girl however shook her head. “Yes, but…. You weren't there when I first met her. There's something we are missing.”
 
Just then the sound of Takeru's D-Terminal made everyone jump. The blonde teen paused a moment in confusion then quickly dug it out.
 
“Anything important? Is everyone okay?” Mimi asked, her voice shaky with fear.
 
“It's from Ken and…. does Akina have a sister?”
 
“What?” Michael snatched the computer from Takeru's grasp and scanned the text on the small screen. “Shit. Didn't she say her name was Asukai Akina?”
 
“I think so,” Catherine replied softly.
 
“Then that explains the attitude. Let's go find her.” The others agreed and headed out deeper into the forest in search of their two missing comrades.
 
*~*~*~*
 
“Where did she go?” Miyako raced to the patch of flowers Ami previously was sitting in the middle of before she had screamed and disappeared. “Why do I have a feeling that girl is going to be more trouble than she's worth?”
 
“Calm down, Miyako. She couldn't have gone too far,” Ken said, narrowing his eyes at the daisies.
 
“Well, I don't see her anywhere!”
 
Wallace scowled at the ground in thought. “Do you suppose someone snatched her?”
 
Miyako spun around in exasperation and faced him. “Who? Enlighten me because I'd really like to know.”
 
The American took a step back, throwing his hands up in defense. “Hey, it was just a possibility. Besides, there is no telling who else might be here.”
 
“Or she could have fallen into a large hole,” Jyou said in a deadpan. The others slowly turned around and stared at him. He shrugged and pointed at the ground a few feet from where they stood. “See for yourself.”
 
Ken blinked at the large hole encircled by a ring of wild flowers and scratched his head. “Maybe we jumped to conclusions a little too quickly.”
 
“Is she okay?” His girlfriend inquired as she peered down the hole. “She's not moving...”
 
“It looks several feet deep. We might be able to reach her,” Wallace noted as he scratched the back of his head.
 
Suddenly the ground beneath them collapsed, sending the four Chosen plummeting down into the hole.
 
Weakly Ken lifted his head and coughed. “I don't think we have to consider how to get Ami out of the hole anymore.” He frowned in confusion at the sight of long legs draped over his chest and quickly blocked a rather violent kick that seemed directed to his face. “Watch it, Miya!”
 
“Sorry. I'm kinda doing a handstand here,” she replied, flaying slightly in efforts to right herself feeling absolutely ridiculous.
 
“What is it with everyone landing on me?” Wallace growled from the bottom of the pile.
 
“Where are my glasses? Damn it. I knew I should have invested in contact lenses for these stupid adventures,” Jyou grumbled in aggravation.
 
“GET OFF ME!”
 
“I WOULD IF I COULD, BUT I CAN BARELY SEE ANYTHING!”
 
“Um, what are all of you doing?” A soft voice said in confusion. “Actually I don't think I want to know.”
 
“Ami, have you seen my glasses?” Jyou sighed as the girl giggled. She crawled around the group a moment before finally retrieving the frames.
 
“Got them.” She blow softly on the lenses and peered inquisitively at them. “Looks like they're okay. Not a scratch.”
 
Miyako flipped herself over and landed next to the girl. She shoved her tangled lavender hair from her face and winced. “I think I'm going to be one big bruise when this is over with.”
 
“You're not the only.” Ken joined them as the last two Chosen untangled themselves. He turned to Ami and nodded. “I sent an email to the others. Hopefully they'll respond and if your sisters are with them, they'll let us know.”
 
“Really? They might have found my sisters?” She threw her arms around him as she squealed happily. “Thank you!”
 
“Hey, hands off him. Ken has already been spoken for,” Miyako hissed at the red head looking as though she were ready to strike the girl. “Go hug Wallace or Jyou.”
 
Ami pulled away from the indigo haired boy and sulked as she walked away.
 
Ken however stared at his now blushing girlfriend. “What was that all about?”
 
“I just didn't want her to get any wrong ideas. There are two perfectly good single guys here. She doesn't need to try staking her claim on you….and I don't want you to decide that the maybe there are better fish out there than geeky, obnoxious me.”
 
“You're not geeky and you're not obnoxious.”
 
“Ken…”
 
“Okay, you can be a bit obnoxious, but you are definitely not a geek. Besides, I kind of like the fiery spirit in you.” He glanced at the ground as if trying to hide his reddening face. “What drew me to you was that fire. You were a challenge and untamable.”
 
Miyako slowly nodded. “But I changed. I-I don't know why…. but….” She hesitated as if unsure of what to say next.
 
Ken glanced at the others to find them conversing on the opposite end of the hole then he leaned in closer and kissed her briefly on the lips. “Keep that in mind,” he whispered as he broke away.
 
“Okay.” She replied as a soft chime broke the couple from their trance. “It's your D-Terminal.”
 
“Right.” He quickly pulled it from his bag and flipped it open as the others swarmed around them.
 
“Is it my sisters? Did they find them? DID THEY?!” Ami bounced up and down trying to get a better look.
 
“Cool it back there.” Wallace shook his head as Jyou shrugged in a silent response.
 
Ken smiled at the sight of two new messages. He opened the one from Iori and read it out loud.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Greetings,
 
We also had some trouble in the form of earthquakes causing trees to crash, fires, rainstorms, a monsoon, and a mudslide. However, everyone else is all right.
 
There were also some instances of being separate as well, but currently we're back together in a group again. We too found a girl that seems to be a Chosen as well Her name is Asukai Tani. She had confirmed that Ami is her younger sister before she had passed out from what was more than likely exhaustion. She should be okay. She and Taichi also seem to know each other. This news did not go over well with Yamato especially since he hates secrets and was probably hurt by the fact that Taichi never told him considering that they are best friends. They did however make up so Sora doesn't have to try to break up their fights for now or storm away in frustration over their antics.
 
All of us have also found our Power Stones including Tani as Rosa attests to. She had just found hers shortly before we had received the email. Rosa also says that Tani mentioned something about its symbol was the same as the one on her crest. You might want to ask Ami if she found a Power Stone and if she had a crest. It might be important.
 
Unfortunately, we have not heard from either Daisuke or Hikari. Taichi seems to be beating himself up over it to the point where he feels he is no longer worthy of being the leader. This is worse than the time when Hikari disappeared and nearly caught pneumonia. It's really tearing him up that he can't find her. The fact that we can't even confirm whether or not Daisuke is with her isn't very comforting either. Hopefully they're both okay.
 
Oh, Takeru, your brother wants you to send a copy of your response to me as well so we know that you're still alive as well.
 
Iori
 
*~*~*~*
 
Ken glanced at the others then read the next email, his mind already swimming with the information Iori had given them.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Hey Everyone,
 
Yeah, we also ran into some problems with earthquakes, rocks slides, and a volcano, but don't worry. We're all alive, including a girl that Catherine found inside a cave in the volcano. Her name is Asukai Akina and interestingly enough, Koushiro seems to know her. Michael thinks they were more than just friends and judging by the way the two have behaved towards each other I can't help but agree. Mimi however isn't too fond of her, but Catherine says that there is something about Akina that we might have been missing. She was right. Currently we're trying to find both Koushiro and Akina. Both ran off, but not together. I guess she must have said something to Koushiro because he actually yelled at Mimi!
 
We have all found our Power Stones, but have no clue about Akina. She doesn't really say much about her and that seems to irritate Koushiro. I just wish we knew what we're supposed to do next other than stay alive against whatever force of Nature decides to try to kill us. I'm really starting to miss Patamon, which is funny because I had forgotten about the little guy for I guess years. Man, now I feel horrible. We all turned our backs on our partners. How cold can we be?! I say we owe them a very large buffet whenever we find them again. I hope Patamon and the others aren't too angry with us, but then again, we deserve it. What happened to us?
 
Now I'm getting even more worried about Hikari and Daisuke after you said that Ken. It does makes sense but I guess it was just something that I didn't want to consider. That and they may have been killed. I know it's a bad thought but… it can happen. None of us are immortal so…. damn it. I didn't want to depress myself with that. And I'm sorry if I depressed you with that thought. Its just things are looking so hopeless that I don't know what to do. I guess the best thing we can do is just try to survive. That's all we really can do at this point.
 
Take care and I miss you all. If we get out of this alive I suggest we do some serious patching up.
 
Your Friend,
 
Takeru
 
*~*~*~*
 
“Takeru is feeling hopeless? This looks bad,” Miyako murmured as Ken closed out the emails.
 
“I know.” He turned to Ami and walked towards her. “You now know your sisters are okay so can you give us some information such as if you found a gray stone with a symbol etched on it which may have matched your crest?”
 
“I thought it looked familiar,” she replied pulling out her Power Stone. “And yes, it's the same as my crest before…” Ami dropped her focus to the ground and tears began welling up in her blue-green eyes. Her chin quivered as she made whimpering sounds.
 
Miyako rolled her eyes. “What's wrong now?”
 
The timid girl however didn't answer as she began to cry, wailing loud enough to make a banshee deaf.
 
“Is that really necessary?”
 
Ami sniffled and wiped her eyes with the back of her hand. “You wouldn't understand what I've been through! Trapped in this stupid place away from every single human being and digimon.” She narrowed her eyes coolly at Miyako and shoved her. “So stop being such a bitch!”
 
“Only when you stop the `poor me' me act.”
 
“I am not asking for PITY!”
 
“SURE SEEMS LIKE IT!”
Ami stared loathingly at the lavender haired girl for a moment and swung out her hand connecting it firmly against the other girl's cheek. `SHUT UP!”
 
“That's IT!” Miyako swung out a fist and rather than hit her intended target, she instead nailed Ken as he tried to separate the two. She stared at her boyfriend's quickly swelling eye for a moment then spun around and hissed at the red head. “Now do you see what you made me do?!” She gave no warning and leapt towards the girl only to be caught around the waist by Ken as Jyou and Wallace held back Ami.
 
“KNOCK IT OFF, YOU TWO!” The former Digimon Kaiser looked between the two girls and shook his head. “This is not a time to fight. We need to find a way out of this stupid hole before something else happens.”
 
Just then the sides of the hole began to collapse, raining dirt upon the Chosen, threatening to bury them alive.
 
*~*~*~*
 
The animalistic like roar of the wind grew louder the more Daisuke and Hikari ran. It seemed no matter what direction they went, the sound did not diminish even the slightest bit, only intensifying more with each step they took.
 
“Damn it. Why won't this place just leave us alone?” The young man cursed again as a spray of sand flew into his eyes.
 
“It doesn't want us to find out the truth,” Hikari whispered.
 
Daisuke glanced at her for a second and frowned. He forgot that she seemed to have an odd ability to sense things. He only wished there was a way to bring back her memories then maybe it would be the end to the chaos they were trapped in. “There has to be somewhere safe to go.”
 
“Not if it's following us.”
 
He opened his mouth to reply when suddenly a large spiral of wind burst from the trees, ripping them to shreds. He gaped in horror and tightened his grip on Hikari's hand. “SHIT! It-it's a tornado.”
 
She spun around and gasped. Daisuke however didn't leave her any time to say a word as he increased his pace, pulling her along with him.
 
“We have to get out of here before-”
 
“But it's coming straight for us!”
 
“WHAT?!” He came to a halt and studied the tornado closely. It wasn't moving like that before. Aw, damn it. It is following us in some twisted version of cat and mouse… Is someone controlling it? Daisuke shook his head and scanned their surroundings quickly. “There has to be some way to outsmart it. Gotta think.”
 
“Daisuke…” Hikari shrank back as it gained several more feet on them. She shrieked as her skirt rose up a bit and smooth down what she could with one hand as she pressed herself against her companion.
 
“I got it! RUN!” Frantically he led them through a tangle of dead trees and bushes weaving left to right before doubling back to the opposite direction. He looked behind his shoulder and found despite the strange path they had raced through that the bizarre tornado was still following. If I don't do something soon, it's gonna suck us up. And there is only one chance to survive this one. His brown eyes suddenly lit up as they neared a hill. “Look for a ditch!”
 
“A what?”
 
“Trust me.”
 
Hikari stared at him in confusion. “But-”
 
Daisuke however continued his hunt. He looked below and grimaced. There was a rather muddy looking ditch but it was a ways down. They had only one choice that hopefully wouldn't result in broken bones. “JUMP!”
 
“WHAT?!”
 
“JUMP!” He yanked on Hikari's arm and he leaped into the air. She followed suit and soon they found themselves tumbling down the hill as the cry of the tornado began to resemble a freight train as it too increased speed. They continued to roll down the hill and made it into a clearing, landing in a ditch a few feet from the bottom of the hill. As Hikari screamed, Daisuke grabbed her, holding her close to him as he covered her with his body. He lifted the back of his jacket up and over their heads, trying to shield them the best as he could. “It'll be okay, Hikari. We'll be okay.”
 
She didn't say anything as frightened tears streamed down her face. She was clutching onto Daisuke so hard that her fingernails were starting to bit into his skin.
 
They stayed silent in they flimsy shelter not realizing that they had both been holding their breath as the tornado roared above. Daisuke clenched his eyes shut and suddenly, everything was silent. After they waited for what seemed like hours he finally poked his head out from his jacket and blinked. Everything around them was barren. “I think it's over.”
 
Hikari too looked up and found that everything was calm was again. The sounds of fury from the tornado were no more. She glanced briefly at Daisuke then hugged him tightly as if grateful for his bold move. “You were right. We are okay. Thank you.”
 
He froze for a moment and hugged her back. “You're welcome.” Once they broke apart, he climbed off the girl and helped her to her feet. “I don't think I'll have to go back to the gym for a while. This place really knows how to give you a work out.”
 
“Yeah, I guess so.” She paused a moment and dusted off her skirt. “So, where to now?”
 
“Wherever doesn't have any more disasters. I think I could use a bit to eat after all that. How about you?”
 
Hikari smiled. “Sounds good to me.”
 
Together the two headed off to find a safe place to set camp for awhile, both silently anticipating what may be thrown their way next.
 
*~*~*~*
 
Author's Notes: This story keeps spinning more and more out of control. I did not picture a fight between Miyako and Ami like that. But I guess it was bound to happen. I think of my created characters so far, I like Ami the least. There's just something about her…. Hopefully she does some growing but right now she is getting on my nerves. I didn't even mean for her to be unlikable. She's just a little too whiny for my taste.
 
Well I hope you enjoyed my newest chapter. It's going to continue to intensify especially since the Power Stones have been located. You can also expect a bit more romance to pop up every now and then, as pasts are soon to be revealed.
 
Thank you reading and reviewing!