Digimon Fan Fiction ❯ Donkey Madness ❯ Forgotten Pentagon ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


Notes: No disclaimer for now; I don't think I need to declare over and over that Digimon and its characters don't belong to me. ^_^ I'm taking a break from the drama category for awhile; I don't want to go down in Digimon fanfiction-writing history as the girl that sent her audience to tears so much that they were all stuck in depression. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night! *_*
This fanfic is based on the mentioning of the Donkey Madness computer game on the American dub of Digimon over and over. . . I thought it was an interesting idea . . . and it had to be good in some way if it got Ken-chan's attention somehow. *big grin* This fanfic takes place after the episode called "10,000 Digi-leagues Under the Sea" in the American dub, meaning the three new Digidestined have two Digimentals/Digieggs each and Ken has been a permanent resident in the Digital World for two months. There are spoilers to the series in this fanfic, but I'm sure it won't matter; at the rate I write, the episodes will probably have been shown on Fox before I get that far. . . o_o;;
I want to make a few things clear before I start the story: I tend to mix the American and Japanese versions in my writings; some small things have slipped into my one-part fics in the past. I just want to explain a few things before I get reviews from people that are getting confused. . .

I refer to the main characters as the Digidestined, as opposed to the Chosen Children.
I use the American dub names (Davis, Yolei, Cody, T.K., etc.) instead of the Japanese names (Daisuke, Miyako, Iori, Takeru, etc.) . . . except in Ken's case. No matter how much Fox tries to bring it up, I refuse to think that Ken's full name is "Kenneth." *gags* Does that hot boy genius look like a "Kenneth" to you!? *gets majorly flamed by every person named Kenneth*
Instead of paying attention the American dubbing on the matter of ages, I've been using the Japanese ages. For those that don't know the difference, the American dubbing has the 02 season taking place four years after the first season; the Japanese version has it only three years after the first season. According to the Japanese version, Davis, T.K., Kari, and Ken are all 11, Cody is 9, and Yolei is 12.
I use the digivolution call "Digi-Armor, energize" as opposed to the Japanese equivalent. In addition, I refer to the new digivolving items as Digimentals instead of the American Digieggs. However, I use the American names of the Digimentals/Crests (Sincerity as opposed to Purity).
I call Ken Ichijouji the Digimon Emperor instead of the Digimon Kaizer. While on the matter of Ken, I have Wormmon refer to him as "Ken-chan." -chan is a Japanese endearment used among close friends.

That about covers it. Now, enjoy the prologue!
Started: November 7, 2000
Finished: November 8, 2000

~ Prologue: ~
~ Forgotten Pentagon ~

He worked into the night, his eyes on his those bright monitors as he viewed different areas of the Digital World. His hands were constantly moving, tapping on keyboards and pushing buttons that would help him control the digimon in his empire. The dark wrapped around him silently, guarding him with a strange loyalty lost to those that did not understand the darkness. In his silence, the boy understood the darkness.
In his own mind, he was darkness.
A small sigh passed his lips as he leaned back into his chair, switching the screen to show a map of the Digital World before relaxing his hands on the armrests. He gazed at the grid map, taking in the fact that the majority of the squares were black instead of their normal white. Two months of concentrating all of his energy on the Digital World had earned him almost eighty-eight percent of the whole area, shown black on the map. It was a percentile that angered him.
It was twelve percent short of his goal.
Those blasted children that had the nerve to call themselves Digidestined always managed to deflate his projects, setting his plans back more and more with each of their wins. He often wondered why such "imperfect" people were able to defeat him, but he waved it off as beginner's luck. The call was a bit premature, however; their wins began to add up and make a difference. In addition, they had added more weapons to their artillery -- the three new Digimentals of Friendship, Sincerity, and Reliability.
The "beginners," with only four months of experience, were reasonable opponents.
Lately, however, he had been ignoring the Digidestined's liberation movements; his mind was on a master plan that would surely rid him of those meddling kids once and for all. A light smirk creased his face as he thought about the idea. Soon he would be able to overpower those five children and their digimon that kept him from ruling the whole entire Digita--

"Master?"

Speak of digimon and one is rewarded with digimon.

He averted his gaze from his computer monitors, glaring at the small, caterpillar-like digimon that nervously sat to the side of his chair. "What do you want?" he snapped, frowning dangerously.

Wormmon suppressed a whimper, lowering his gaze as he spoke. "Aren't you going to sleep soon?" he queried. "It's very late and you're usually up so early. . ."

The blue-haired boy grudgingly admitted to himself that the useless digimon was correct for once. He raised a hand to turn off his computers for the night when he noticed a small white area to the far right of the screen, just off the coast of the continent of Server.

"Well, what have we here. . .?" he muttered, magnifying the view to get in closer. Mist was all that he could see from the closest Control Spire. "Why haven't I ever noticed this place before?" When silence was his only answer, the Digimon Emperor turned his head back to the green digimon to his left. "I was asking you a question, fool!"

Wormmon tensed, shyly looking at his master before averting his bright blue eyes to the map. "That's the Forgotten Pentagon," he said quietly. "I've heard that digimon that go there never come out; they're either killed upon entering or become lost in the mist. The stories are endless, really, and none of them have ever been proven true or false." He paused, turning back to look at the young emperor. "It's a very scary place, Master. It would be best to forget about it. . ."

The digimon's words fell upon deaf ears. The Digimon Emperor's eyes glinted behind his violet shades. "It sounds intriguing. We're going right now."

Wormmon gaped as best as he could as the boy pushed himself to his feet and strode into the darkness, leaving Wormmon alone. "W-- wait, Master!" he called, hurrying into the dark after him.

* * * * *

The Digimon Emperor ignored the cold as he stood on the back of the Airdramon, the wind rushing past him and beating against his face. Wormmon shivered behind him, keeping close to his master's feet to avoid the brunt of the wind. He continued to try to talk the boy out of his decision. "Master, this isn't a good idea!" he wailed over the wind. "No one's every returned from the Pentagon! No one!"

The boy smirked, glancing at his digimon for a moment before returning his gaze forward. The mists of the Forgotten Pentagon were within sight now. "Well, I think I'll be the first to return, then," he declared, laughing as they entered the wall of mist.

There was an eerie silence throughout the Forgotten Pentagon shortly thereafter -- one which someone would have noticed if there were any digimon close to the area. The silence didn't last, however.
The dying screams of a Airdramon echoed through the Pentagon, a horrible ripping sound tearing through the night before silence returned once again.